“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#83242 Mar 29, 2013
So I took my kid to the Magic game tonight. First time at a basketball game. Don't know what kinda mamby pamby bs they been teachin him at school, but, when someone from the other team was about to shoot a free throw, I started to boo. He told me not to boo because he's tying his hardest.

The place is far from a packed house, so when we were looking for our seats(way at the top) someone was in them, so I just turned in the other direction and sat in a wide open area(with a slightly better view). After half time, we were headed back to those seats, and were passing a wide open row lower down. I said "sit here".
And he tried to tell me "No. our seats are up there!" . I had to physically pick him up and start him down the row I wanted.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#83243 Mar 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Toj or Dahgts, maybe Sub or AS-
Please explain who Garfield Goose was.
i barely remember Bozo and you think i'd know Garfield Goose first hand?:-j but then, i was raised listening to Andrews Sisters and watching My Three Sons & Donna Reed on NIck at Nite...

WGN rolls out a show "Bozo, Ray & Gar" (i think)- a retrospective of their kiddie shows - at the holidays. it might be available online soemwhere. I started watching it on New Year's but then the boys came in so we turned off the TV and played Legos instead.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#83244 Mar 30, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i barely remember Bozo and you think i'd know Garfield Goose first hand?:-j but then, i was raised listening to Andrews Sisters and watching My Three Sons & Donna Reed on NIck at Nite...
WGN rolls out a show "Bozo, Ray & Gar" (i think)- a retrospective of their kiddie shows - at the holidays. it might be available online soemwhere. I started watching it on New Year's but then the boys came in so we turned off the TV and played Legos instead.
That's the WGN show. I think kids even now would enjoy it. Or not. I don't have much interaction with the young ones now. Maybe it's not as active or noisy as they're used to. There's nothing more boring then the Susie Snowflake song. And it's like the It's a Small World one. stays in your brain forever.
Donna Reed is on a local station here. I don't know about anyone else but my mother did not wear her best dresses with pearls and high heels to vacuum the house. But I do...:)

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#83245 Mar 30, 2013

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#83246 Mar 30, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
So I took my kid to the Magic game tonight. First time at a basketball game. Don't know what kinda mamby pamby bs they been teachin him at school, but, when someone from the other team was about to shoot a free throw, I started to boo. He told me not to boo because he's tying his hardest.
The place is far from a packed house, so when we were looking for our seats(way at the top) someone was in them, so I just turned in the other direction and sat in a wide open area(with a slightly better view). After half time, we were headed back to those seats, and were passing a wide open row lower down. I said "sit here".
And he tried to tell me "No. our seats are up there!" . I had to physically pick him up and start him down the row I wanted.
So, you'd rather the schools teach your kids how to be rude and dishonest? I realize your game strategy was not that serious, but I'm thinking of the just overall good character building. Traits that seem to be lacking these days.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#83247 Mar 30, 2013
team Tonka.
Next thing you know they will be teaching his kid that it's ok to masturbate.
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you'd rather the schools teach your kids how to be rude and dishonest? I realize your game strategy was not that serious, but I'm thinking of the just overall good character building. Traits that seem to be lacking these days.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#83248 Mar 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you'd rather the schools teach your kids how to be rude and dishonest? I realize your game strategy was not that serious, but I'm thinking of the just overall good character building. Traits that seem to be lacking these days.
Its a joke. Lighten up.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83249 Mar 30, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
So I took my kid to the Magic game tonight. First time at a basketball game. Don't know what kinda mamby pamby bs they been teachin him at school, but, when someone from the other team was about to shoot a free throw, I started to boo. He told me not to boo because he's tying his hardest.
The place is far from a packed house, so when we were looking for our seats(way at the top) someone was in them, so I just turned in the other direction and sat in a wide open area(with a slightly better view). After half time, we were headed back to those seats, and were passing a wide open row lower down. I said "sit here".
And he tried to tell me "No. our seats are up there!" . I had to physically pick him up and start him down the row I wanted.
See if you can eavesdrop on his telling someone else what it was like . He's 7? Good that he was able to stay through the whole thing.

When I was 12 or so my dad got tickets for a Blackhawks game at the old Stadium. He had 4 together and the 5th a few rows up not near the rest of them. That was my seat. I have very different memories of that game than my dad or my sibs. Old smelly men with cigars they were smoking who were yelling and looking sideways at me when they swore- a lot. I didn't understand what all was going on on teh ice and no one near by was explaining really

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#83250 Mar 30, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Its a joke. Lighten up.
Ok, I didn't see you giggling.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#83251 Mar 30, 2013
Took the dogs to the semi-muddy dog park, then we hit Starbucks on the way home. They offered me "puppuchinos" for the beasts--coffee lids full of whipped cream.

Probably a good time to get the car detailed...

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#83252 Mar 30, 2013
So A and I had a productive day of moving and cleaning and unpacking yesterday, then we went to see the movie Temptation (it was AWFUL, do not go), then I went out to watch the Gator game which came on like 40 minutes later than was originally scheduled. I'm soooo tired. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably never going to catch up on sleep.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#83253 Mar 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
They offered me "puppuchinos" for the beasts--coffee lids full of whipped cream.
Ugh... the world is going mad...

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#83254 Mar 30, 2013
spent six hours iwth my parents helping clear out my grandmothers house... ok, not the whole thing, but the garage and a couple of the less-packed rooms. the mounds of trash and recycling are overwhelming, adn we still have the basement and a couple of doozy rooms to go. just glad that i didn't (a) swear out loud or (b) go off on them. i was so ready to tell my mother off that it's ok to put the little fencing (like the kind that just keeps stuff upright) on the curb for the "professional recyclers" instead of waiting to see what the estate sale guy has to say.

found a couple of gems hidden amongst the crap, including photos of my gramma at 13 months, a nicely chubby little kid... given that she looked like a Holocaust victim at the end, there is more than a little irony there.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83255 Mar 30, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
spent six hours iwth my parents helping clear out my grandmothers house... ok, not the whole thing, but the garage and a couple of the less-packed rooms. the mounds of trash and recycling are overwhelming, adn we still have the basement and a couple of doozy rooms to go. just glad that i didn't (a) swear out loud or (b) go off on them. i was so ready to tell my mother off that it's ok to put the little fencing (like the kind that just keeps stuff upright) on the curb for the "professional recyclers" instead of waiting to see what the estate sale guy has to say.
found a couple of gems hidden amongst the crap, including photos of my gramma at 13 months, a nicely chubby little kid... given that she looked like a Holocaust victim at the end, there is more than a little irony there.
I have a photo of my grandmother at about age 5 sitting in a little cart being drawn by a goat. My sister has one of our other grandmother flapper era, standing next to a largish car posed with one foot on the running board, rather Bonnie and Clyde-ish. Nan must have been 17 or 18. Those are the best things to find.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#83256 Mar 30, 2013
Got the car detailed. Got a mani/pedi/massage. Took my sister and kid to Walmart: Shirts, shoes, sox, pants, underwear, hoodies all around.$500.00 poorer. <sigh>

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83257 Mar 30, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Got the car detailed. Got a mani/pedi/massage. Took my sister and kid to Walmart: Shirts, shoes, sox, pants, underwear, hoodies all around.$500.00 poorer. <sigh>
You are a good woman, Mimi. You are doing the right thing.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#83258 Mar 30, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a good woman, Mimi. You are doing the right thing.
Thanks. To be honest I'm kinda resenting that I'm putting off my new laptop because of this, but not like a "I resent you Patty" kind of way. More like I'm just annoyed that something came up again which makes it necessary to put it off again...if that makes sense.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#83259 Mar 31, 2013
Happy Easter!

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83260 Mar 31, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Happy Easter!
You too! Happy Easter too all who celebrate! For those who don't, hope you enjoy the beautiful weather :)

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#83261 Mar 31, 2013
The girls are hunting their Easter eggs right now.

Happy Easter!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min NTRPRNR1 1,127,147
GOP Votes go 2 dem. votes. 15 min DeathOnlyAnswer 4
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 24 min lides 50,646
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 31 min boundary painter 1,312
amy 1-25 34 min boundary painter 3
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 39 min boundary painter 7,825
abby 10-25 46 min boundary painter 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr jacques Ottawa 179,464
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]