“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83239 Mar 29, 2013
Tricia McMillen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, there you are. Come along home , dear . I have some milk nd oreos for you and you can watch Garfield Goose if you like.
I don't like milk and Oreos aren't really my thing. haven't heard of Garfield Goose. But I AM having a Captain Morgan and Sierra Mist, just smoked a bowl, and am going to go game while I watch Family Guy.

You needed written directions to a liquor store in St Paul? Did you have a Groupon or something?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83240 Mar 29, 2013
Toj or Dahgts, maybe Sub or AS-

Please explain who Garfield Goose was.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#83241 Mar 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
A quacking goose puppet who "talked" to Frazier Thomas. He had the best personality for a kids show. Kid shows were calmer and informative then, I think. But my favorite was Ray Raynor. He had a real duck named Chelveston on the show. The duck was pretty vicious, and Ray would keep feeding it lettuce so it wouldn't bite him. Other days he would "visit" his friend "Cuddly Duddley", a life sized dog "puppet". He also did a weather report which was more accurate then the news shows. Met him and he was a really nice guy.

Thanks for the memories.
I had to sit with my kids every morning and watch this stuff. Their father worked nights and had to sleep so I had to keep them quiet.

WGN shows a program every holiday season that shows all these shows that were on years ago.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#83242 Mar 29, 2013
So I took my kid to the Magic game tonight. First time at a basketball game. Don't know what kinda mamby pamby bs they been teachin him at school, but, when someone from the other team was about to shoot a free throw, I started to boo. He told me not to boo because he's tying his hardest.

The place is far from a packed house, so when we were looking for our seats(way at the top) someone was in them, so I just turned in the other direction and sat in a wide open area(with a slightly better view). After half time, we were headed back to those seats, and were passing a wide open row lower down. I said "sit here".
And he tried to tell me "No. our seats are up there!" . I had to physically pick him up and start him down the row I wanted.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#83243 Mar 29, 2013
PEllen wrote:
i barely remember Bozo and you think i'd know Garfield Goose first hand?:-j but then, i was raised listening to Andrews Sisters and watching My Three Sons & Donna Reed on NIck at Nite...

WGN rolls out a show "Bozo, Ray & Gar" (i think)- a retrospective of their kiddie shows - at the holidays. it might be available online soemwhere. I started watching it on New Year's but then the boys came in so we turned off the TV and played Legos instead.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#83244 Mar 30, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i barely remember Bozo and you think i'd know Garfield Goose first hand?:-j but then, i was raised listening to Andrews Sisters and watching My Three Sons & Donna Reed on NIck at Nite...
WGN rolls out a show "Bozo, Ray & Gar" (i think)- a retrospective of their kiddie shows - at the holidays. it might be available online soemwhere. I started watching it on New Year's but then the boys came in so we turned off the TV and played Legos instead.
That's the WGN show. I think kids even now would enjoy it. Or not. I don't have much interaction with the young ones now. Maybe it's not as active or noisy as they're used to. There's nothing more boring then the Susie Snowflake song. And it's like the It's a Small World one. stays in your brain forever.
Donna Reed is on a local station here. I don't know about anyone else but my mother did not wear her best dresses with pearls and high heels to vacuum the house. But I do...:)

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#83245 Mar 30, 2013

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#83246 Mar 30, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
So I took my kid to the Magic game tonight. First time at a basketball game. Don't know what kinda mamby pamby bs they been teachin him at school, but, when someone from the other team was about to shoot a free throw, I started to boo. He told me not to boo because he's tying his hardest.
The place is far from a packed house, so when we were looking for our seats(way at the top) someone was in them, so I just turned in the other direction and sat in a wide open area(with a slightly better view). After half time, we were headed back to those seats, and were passing a wide open row lower down. I said "sit here".
And he tried to tell me "No. our seats are up there!" . I had to physically pick him up and start him down the row I wanted.
So, you'd rather the schools teach your kids how to be rude and dishonest? I realize your game strategy was not that serious, but I'm thinking of the just overall good character building. Traits that seem to be lacking these days.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#83247 Mar 30, 2013
team Tonka.
Next thing you know they will be teaching his kid that it's ok to masturbate.
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you'd rather the schools teach your kids how to be rude and dishonest? I realize your game strategy was not that serious, but I'm thinking of the just overall good character building. Traits that seem to be lacking these days.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#83248 Mar 30, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Its a joke. Lighten up.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83249 Mar 30, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
See if you can eavesdrop on his telling someone else what it was like . He's 7? Good that he was able to stay through the whole thing.

When I was 12 or so my dad got tickets for a Blackhawks game at the old Stadium. He had 4 together and the 5th a few rows up not near the rest of them. That was my seat. I have very different memories of that game than my dad or my sibs. Old smelly men with cigars they were smoking who were yelling and looking sideways at me when they swore- a lot. I didn't understand what all was going on on teh ice and no one near by was explaining really

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#83250 Mar 30, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Its a joke. Lighten up.
Ok, I didn't see you giggling.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#83251 Mar 30, 2013
Took the dogs to the semi-muddy dog park, then we hit Starbucks on the way home. They offered me "puppuchinos" for the beasts--coffee lids full of whipped cream.

Probably a good time to get the car detailed...

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#83252 Mar 30, 2013
So A and I had a productive day of moving and cleaning and unpacking yesterday, then we went to see the movie Temptation (it was AWFUL, do not go), then I went out to watch the Gator game which came on like 40 minutes later than was originally scheduled. I'm soooo tired. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm probably never going to catch up on sleep.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#83253 Mar 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
They offered me "puppuchinos" for the beasts--coffee lids full of whipped cream.
Ugh... the world is going mad...

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#83254 Mar 30, 2013
spent six hours iwth my parents helping clear out my grandmothers house... ok, not the whole thing, but the garage and a couple of the less-packed rooms. the mounds of trash and recycling are overwhelming, adn we still have the basement and a couple of doozy rooms to go. just glad that i didn't (a) swear out loud or (b) go off on them. i was so ready to tell my mother off that it's ok to put the little fencing (like the kind that just keeps stuff upright) on the curb for the "professional recyclers" instead of waiting to see what the estate sale guy has to say.

found a couple of gems hidden amongst the crap, including photos of my gramma at 13 months, a nicely chubby little kid... given that she looked like a Holocaust victim at the end, there is more than a little irony there.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83255 Mar 30, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
spent six hours iwth my parents helping clear out my grandmothers house... ok, not the whole thing, but the garage and a couple of the less-packed rooms. the mounds of trash and recycling are overwhelming, adn we still have the basement and a couple of doozy rooms to go. just glad that i didn't (a) swear out loud or (b) go off on them. i was so ready to tell my mother off that it's ok to put the little fencing (like the kind that just keeps stuff upright) on the curb for the "professional recyclers" instead of waiting to see what the estate sale guy has to say.
found a couple of gems hidden amongst the crap, including photos of my gramma at 13 months, a nicely chubby little kid... given that she looked like a Holocaust victim at the end, there is more than a little irony there.
I have a photo of my grandmother at about age 5 sitting in a little cart being drawn by a goat. My sister has one of our other grandmother flapper era, standing next to a largish car posed with one foot on the running board, rather Bonnie and Clyde-ish. Nan must have been 17 or 18. Those are the best things to find.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#83256 Mar 30, 2013
Got the car detailed. Got a mani/pedi/massage. Took my sister and kid to Walmart: Shirts, shoes, sox, pants, underwear, hoodies all around.$500.00 poorer. <sigh>

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83257 Mar 30, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Got the car detailed. Got a mani/pedi/massage. Took my sister and kid to Walmart: Shirts, shoes, sox, pants, underwear, hoodies all around.$500.00 poorer. <sigh>
You are a good woman, Mimi. You are doing the right thing.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#83258 Mar 30, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a good woman, Mimi. You are doing the right thing.
Thanks. To be honest I'm kinda resenting that I'm putting off my new laptop because of this, but not like a "I resent you Patty" kind of way. More like I'm just annoyed that something came up again which makes it necessary to put it off again...if that makes sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 13 min JOEL 71,222
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min Yeah 1,155,618
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 47 min Mike 51,280
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Grau 68,908
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr OzRitz 49,310
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr loose cannon 182,041
Dear Abby 12-25 5 hr PEllen 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 am PST