“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#82912 Mar 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
So... Did not make it to the boat show today BUT did make plans to go tomorrow... With a guy.

I went out tonight with a girl I met on the plane on Wednesday. This is the new social me. As One Republic says, I feel again.
Sounds like fun!

I didn't reply to your comment yesterday, but I laughed about the PMS thing, too :)

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#82913 Mar 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Thanks you guys. It's cool. Comment all you want, or not, whatever. I do know the drill of bringing up a boy. I don't see this as permanent, but I would like him to be settled a little bit. LOL Pelly Northface jackets...here too. <nod nod>
I don't think it matters where you live. All 12 year olds want the name brand stuff. I want a Northface jacket -- they seem to be better made and look nice. It's time for me to get a new warm winter coat (the puffy kind that sheds moisture) and I like to buy things at the end of the season to get the better price. I'm cheap.:) That said, I'm probably like you. There's no way I'm buying expensive things for kids that grow out of them in 2-3 months. Once they're settled in their growing, it's worth it to get the good stuff b/c it lasts longer. Before that, no way.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#82914 Mar 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
So... Did not make it to the boat show today BUT did make plans to go tomorrow... With a guy.
I went out tonight with a girl I met on the plane on Wednesday. This is the new social me. As One Republic says, I feel again.
It's so great you're letting yourself be excited about things again! Awesome.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#82915 Mar 24, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
we fear my grandmother's basement... tax returns from 1945? vinyl vacation tour bags? glass bottles of 7-up? bottles of manhattans mixed in the '50s?
who knows what lurks down there...
You could get one of those estate selling people. They deal with antiques and they'll sell and advertise them and you just collect (after their cut). That stuff that you would not want is someone else's treasure.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82916 Mar 24, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82917 Mar 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/chi cago/T7BKLDBFKRR9TPLA6#lastPos t
Amy
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T8544C0NP3...

Abby

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#82918 Mar 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
BUT did make plans to go tomorrow... With a guy.
I went out tonight with a girl
You uh, switch hitting? Gonna try the best of both worlds for a while?

Jess! Someone in New Jersey won the megaball. Was it you? And can I have a million dollars? I promise I won't tease you for being a liberal and a Christie supporter... for a little while, anyway.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#82919 Mar 24, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You uh, switch hitting? Gonna try the best of both worlds for a while?
Haha, no way. Just making new friends.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#82920 Mar 24, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>You uh, switch hitting? Gonna try the best of both worlds for a while?

Jess! Someone in New Jersey won the megaball. Was it you? And can I have a million dollars? I promise I won't tease you for being a liberal and a Christie supporter... for a little while, anyway.
It was not me, unfortunately.

I have never hidden the fact that I am a fiscal conservative, but a social moderate. One of the candidates that I am supporting calls himself a Librertarian Republican. I love it.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#82921 Mar 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
ANTIQUES ROADSHOW!
not quite.... the stuff that's down there is either too cheap in the first place - my bio-GPs were teachers who got married in the 40s - or ruined by too many years in a basement that has flooded a few times since 1967. blech. we think most of it is worthless, but it still needs to be gone through, piece by piece.

my mom is starting to get antsy about getting hte house on the market, so we really have to face the demons and spirits down there. not looking forward to it, even though we won't have gramma trailing behind us like a puppy giving a lecture on every... single... item... and why it cant get tossed.

we will be having an estate sale when we get thigns sorted adn the true crap culled.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#82922 Mar 24, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You could get one of those estate selling people. They deal with antiques and they'll sell and advertise them and you just collect (after their cut). That stuff that you would not want is someone else's treasure.
that's the plan.... there is one name has come up a few times as my mom has talked wiht others in similar situations. we have some "spare" furniture in our basement that is going to go into hte sale... i figure here's an opportunity to get them into the hands of someone who needs/wants it and out of my cluttered basement. It's unfinished & all storage, but still...

we;re clearing the crap (who wants 25 YO cleaning supplies???), letting the family pick what they want that is sentimental, then calling in the estate sale people. we'll be able to comply with the intent of the will and make things easier for everyone involved.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#82923 Mar 24, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it matters where you live. All 12 year olds want the name brand stuff. I want a Northface jacket -- they seem to be better made and look nice. It's time for me to get a new warm winter coat (the puffy kind that sheds moisture) and I like to buy things at the end of the season to get the better price. I'm cheap.:) That said, I'm probably like you. There's no way I'm buying expensive things for kids that grow out of them in 2-3 months. Once they're settled in their growing, it's worth it to get the good stuff b/c it lasts longer. Before that, no way.
*I* have a Northface jacket, but then *I* am done with my growth spurts and *I* paid for it. He was telling me how MUCH he wants a laptop...a mini one...last night. Yeah, I got the hint the first 25 times you told me. LOL

Also, them being here, because they needed *so many* just basic things, and getting her driver's license before it expired today, and because I had to buy a lot more groceries, and because 12 year olds eat like they've been in the desert for 40 years, my budget is out the window until the middle/end of the week...depending on the day of my direct deposit.

Of course I did buy stuff that I would never use/eat, and let her buy some stuff that was more $$$ than I would spend because they've been living in pigshit so long, it's just nice to be able to *have**something* for a change. Taking them for haircuts next week. She got tired of her hair and cut it herself. It's not horrible, but it needs fixing. While I could fix it, I don't want to. His hair is ok, just kinda shaggy and in need of a cut.

Dude...they even blew up the money I had budgeted for Starbucks so here I sit drinking home made coffee...yuuuuk. Ok not really, I buy good coffee, but it's just not the same.:(

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82924 Mar 24, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I did buy stuff that I would never use/eat, and let her
Dude...they even blew up the money I had budgeted for Starbucks so here I sit drinking home made coffee...yuuuuk. Ok not really, I buy good coffee, but it's just not the same.:(
So Friday Groupon landed a deal with Starbucks $5 Groupon gets you $10 gift card. By the time I heard about it ( probably about an hour after it was posted, Groupon's site was overloaded. Still, it you are set up for that and if there are any left....

(heh- my spell check does not recognize Groupon.)

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#82925 Mar 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
So Friday Groupon landed a deal with Starbucks $5 Groupon gets you $10 gift card. By the time I heard about it ( probably about an hour after it was posted, Groupon's site was overloaded. Still, it you are set up for that and if there are any left....
(heh- my spell check does not recognize Groupon.)
Cool thanks. I'll check it out.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#82926 Mar 24, 2013
When Hurricane Charlie cam thru here in 2004, it cause millions in damage to the area. But it only knocked down 3 of my fence panels(sent one flying over the roof) and snapped 1 fence post. We were driving home about 2 hours ago when the national weather alert came on the radio. Tornado warnings for the area. Within 20 minutes of being home my wife screamed for everyone to get in the bathroom(safe room if you will). Thought she saw the makings of a tornado. We were already seeing some tremendous wind and rain out the back. I looked out the back, ad half our fence is gone. Not blown away, but knocked down. Posts that we have concreted into the ground, snapped. At least 7. Maybe more. Hopefully insurance will cover that. Daddy needs a new fence.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#82927 Mar 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
When Hurricane Charlie cam thru here in 2004, it cause millions in damage to the area. But it only knocked down 3 of my fence panels(sent one flying over the roof) and snapped 1 fence post. We were driving home about 2 hours ago when the national weather alert came on the radio. Tornado warnings for the area. Within 20 minutes of being home my wife screamed for everyone to get in the bathroom(safe room if you will). Thought she saw the makings of a tornado. We were already seeing some tremendous wind and rain out the back. I looked out the back, ad half our fence is gone. Not blown away, but knocked down. Posts that we have concreted into the ground, snapped. At least 7. Maybe more. Hopefully insurance will cover that. Daddy needs a new fence.
Wow. Glad you all are safe.

United States

#82928 Mar 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Holy cow! I'm glad everyone is okay.

United States

#82929 Mar 24, 2013
So my day is going pretty well. Stopping at home to walk & feed the dogs, then going to watch the gator game.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82930 Mar 24, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Tell me you are not posting on Topix from the bathroom... with a cyclone outside. Please tell me that.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82931 Mar 24, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
So my day is going pretty well. Stopping at home to walk & feed the dogs, then going to watch the gator game.
Not sure if I said this to you before. Something sort of good has come out you and Jasper breaking up.

My CA daughter and bf (of about 1 1/2 years) broke up about a month ago. Listening to the path you are traveling has helped me respond to her. I know the scale and intensity is different, but I met my husband in 1981 and there is a lot I have forgotten and a lot that has changed in 32 years. So , 26 year old in SF is unknowingly reaping some benefit.

Thank you for sharing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Kristy 46,750
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Bluestater 1,110,271
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 44 min Bruce and Larry 49,885
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 47 min loose cannon 178,138
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 58 min Mandela 68,519
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 69,404
Word (Dec '08) 8 hr andet1987 4,726
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info