|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Thanks you guys. It's cool. Comment all you want, or not, whatever. I do know the drill of bringing up a boy. I don't see this as permanent, but I would like him to be settled a little bit. LOL Pelly Northface jackets...here too. <nod nod>
Mimi, I have zero advice/input but I'm here "listening" and wishing you and everyone else in the situation the best.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Does anybody use Linked In (or whatever its called)?
I occasionally get emails asking to join, but I am super lazy.
I hate Linked In. They set me up with a profile without my permission YEARS ago. I still get "invites" from people on there (including people I really know, and people I've never met, in other states).

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

RACE wrote:
Facebook is social networking.
Linked in is professional networking.
Some of the things you can do on linked in:
-post job history/resume/pseudo resume
-have your connections post little recommendations on how great you are at what you do
-search job listings that have been posted to linked in
-exchange messages just like you would on Facebook

Its probably most useful to the schmoozy networking type people.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Thas is so NOT me!
And we all know I am on FB either.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Its probably most useful to the schmoozy networking type people.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

RACE wrote:
I do. Not quite as much as I am here, but a lot. It makes a good place to exchange legitimate professional information. The quality of the experience can depend on which Groups you join. I have gotten one job through their listings and kept contact with people I knew professionally but was not close towho then turn up with current business.

If you join, use an email address that sounds professional and is yours, not your employer's

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate Linked In. They set me up with a profile without my permission YEARS ago. I still get "invites" from people on there (including people I really know, and people I've never met, in other states).
I doubt it was Linked In. That was not the way they worked.Their selling point is substantive interaction between people who want to be there

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

RACE wrote:
Thas is so NOT me!
And we all know I am on FB either.
<quoted text>
You don't have to schmooze. You can lurk. I find it a very good way to keep current on things which are important but tangential to what I do IRL. Also, when I have run into a technical question, it is very good for quick info and you can assess the quality of the source by looking at their profile.

If you do sign up, only take the free version

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

We have been in this house since 1988. I am cleaning out the 2 junk drawers in the kitchen. I found Domino's pizza coupons which expired in 1996 and matches from restaurants which are long out of business, all the scissors I thought I lost, enough chopsticks to stock a small restaurant, etc..

Also cleaning out teh freezer, defrosting unknown things to eat. Frozen stuffed peppers anyone?

My convection oven is not making me happy. Last try it browned eh front half of the muffins but not the back. This time it cooked evenly but did not brown the tops at all.

I am NOT a rookie cook and this is making me nuts.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Use a toaster.
PEllen wrote:
We have been in this house since 1988. I am cleaning out the 2 junk drawers in the kitchen. I found Domino's pizza coupons which expired in 1996 and matches from restaurants which are long out of business, all the scissors I thought I lost, enough chopsticks to stock a small restaurant, etc..
Also cleaning out teh freezer, defrosting unknown things to eat. Frozen stuffed peppers anyone?
My convection oven is not making me happy. Last try it browned eh front half of the muffins but not the back. This time it cooked evenly but did not brown the tops at all.
I am NOT a rookie cook and this is making me nuts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> I doubt it was Linked In. That was not the way they worked.Their selling point is substantive interaction between people who want to be there
They did it. It's how they started their website years ago -- gleaning info and filling out profiles without people doing it themselves. They have outdated info for me and despite my having told them to delete my info, they refuse to do it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

I have never had a junk drawer. I hate them.

Instead, I have a junk house. Stuff is spreadout everywehre, not crammed into a drawer.
Dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I have never had a junk drawer. I hate them.
Instead, I have a junk house. Stuff is spreadout everywehre, not crammed into a drawer.
This and a junk basement. Have plans to clean cause upon my demise my kid will be yelling why did mom have all this crap. At least I won't have to listen.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Some movie with Jean Claude Von Damme (sp?), a gorgeous biracial actress from ER (looks a little like Rae Dawn Chong), and Ron Silver, involving time travel.

Jean and woman time travel back to do something in the nation's security interests. He tells her the year and that it's October 9. She laughs and says she'll turn 16 tomorrow.

Jean: "Dont' do something stupid and try to talk to your former self."

Woman: I'd like to tell her to not sleep with Joe Smith after the party, it was pretty disappointing.

Jean: A smart woman would call Joe and give him some advice on doing it better.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Some movie with Jean Claude Von Damme (sp?), a gorgeous biracial actress from ER (looks a little like Rae Dawn Chong), and Ron Silver, involving time travel.
Jean and woman time travel back to do something in the nation's security interests. He tells her the year and that it's October 9. She laughs and says she'll turn 16 tomorrow.
Jean: "Dont' do something stupid and try to talk to your former self."
Woman: I'd like to tell her to not sleep with Joe Smith after the party, it was pretty disappointing.
Jean: A smart woman would call Joe and give him some advice on doing it better.
HA!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

RACE wrote:
Use a toaster.
<quoted text>
To bake muffins? To broil a steak? Sounds like undergrad when I could cook a decent meal in an electric frying pan and a Corningware percolator

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
They did it. It's how they started their website years ago -- gleaning info and filling out profiles without people doing it themselves. They have outdated info for me and despite my having told them to delete my info, they refuse to do it.
If you have the LinkedIn password, I will give instructions on how to take down the profile. If you don't have teh LI password it is harder but still ca be done.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

Dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
This and a junk basement. Have plans to clean cause upon my demise my kid will be yelling why did mom have all this crap. At least I won't have to listen.
Ahh, the basement. The room whose name shall not be spoken aloud in polite company.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahh, the basement. The room whose name shall not be spoken aloud in polite company.
But my unfinished, 1920's cold dungeon makes a great wine cellar.))

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
we fear my grandmother's basement... tax returns from 1945? vinyl vacation tour bags? glass bottles of 7-up? bottles of manhattans mixed in the '50s?

who knows what lurks down there...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2013

I hooked up the speakers on my new computer. WooHoo. Iceberg Radio and Pandora. As soon as Apple gets its password hack taken care of I will move my music onto the beast..
Older daughter has introduced me to Pink Martini. Its a nice counterpoint to Andrew Lloyd Weber and Cole Porter.
Next up: taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

41 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min j rocker 1,083,014
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min LRS 175,056
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min Subliminal 45,866
Six-year-old girl watches in horror as police '... 31 min hands on AR 7
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 34 min hands on AR 21
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr raphael 3,841
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr HughBe 68,430
Abby 7-29 6 hr j_m_w 16
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search