“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#82871 Mar 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Coming from the environment you described, your are probably one of the few sober/un-drugged articulate intelligent adults with whom he has spent much time.
Since he has expressed a desire to go to services, perhaps there is a youth group or a Big Brother Club they can bring him into so he gets some solid male role models and he can develop friends not just from school. Being the new kid on the block in the middle of the year isn't easy under the best circumstances and his aren't the best.
The other thing is that your nephew might qualify for Medicaid as a child below a particular income level. In IL, if a child qualifies, his parents do too for as long as the kid is eligible. Each state has its own rules on that, but it might be a resource for your sister and for you to make sure he has all his immunizations, etc (that is the Mom in me talking)
Oh yeah he's been telling me about how they've been living...

Already got the medicaid for him. Did that today. Set up the appointment to talk to the counselor to get him into school on Monday. Outreach services are available at the school including some club stuff. I'll know more on Monday.

I think I said before that I live in a kind of ritzy-ish area,(Jags are ubiquitous here). The area, not me. So the school wants to make sure I live here because a lot of people would like to get their kids into the schools here. I went over and picked up all the paperwork though. Will have his mom get it all filled out over the weekend.

Mimi don't mess around.

Still...little dude, shut up for 5 minutes.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#82872 Mar 22, 2013
Last one, I swear. He's beat boxing. Right now. Seriously. Time for all little boys (he's 12) to go to BED!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#82873 Mar 23, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82874 Mar 23, 2013

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#82875 Mar 23, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Last one, I swear. He's beat boxing. Right now. Seriously. Time for all little boys (he's 12) to go to BED!
wow... well, double snaps to you for taking them in.

i heard somewhere about seting sometihng up for "quiet time" - make it known that when a certain lamp is on that it's quiet time, leave Aunt Mimi alone and keep the volume down.

oh, i know... it was a night light on a timer in a toddler bedroom. if hte light it on, it's quiet-stay-in-your-room time... but stil,the same principle works.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#82877 Mar 23, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
wow... well, double snaps to you for taking them in.
i heard somewhere about seting sometihng up for "quiet time" - make it known that when a certain lamp is on that it's quiet time, leave Aunt Mimi alone and keep the volume down.
oh, i know... it was a night light on a timer in a toddler bedroom. if hte light it on, it's quiet-stay-in-your-room time... but stil,the same principle works.
I did the "Aunt Mimi is OLD" thing last night. <shrug>

Don't get me wrong, he's a good kid; bright, articulate, engaging, etc., but *I* am very much an introvert, so I get worn out pretty quickly. Also, they've been living in a way that if one needed, or wanted attention for any reason, they would really need to be assertive about it. But...it's mostly his innate personality, he's always been like that. He gets it from his mother, "Chatty Patty." <shrug>

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82878 Mar 23, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>

I think I said before that I live in a kind of ritzy-ish area,(Jags are ubiquitous here). The area, not me. So the school wants to make sure I live here because a lot of people would like to get their kids into the schools here. I went over and picked up all the paperwork though. Will have his mom get it all filled out over the weekend.
Mimi don't mess around.
Still...little dude, shut up for 5 minutes.
Take this is good heart. We live in what sounds like a similar neighborhood.

There are additional considerations when you are bringing up a kid in a ritzy area. We took special steps to make sure that values were emphasized because the lure of materialism is going to be very strong and very tangible. Another consideration is to help him get in with a good , grounded group of kids rather than letting him emphasize his feeling like an outsider. He will know only too well that there are lots of people who are better off than he is but that won't stop him wanting-- and because he is 12, needing to find a place to fit in. What the goal would be is to keep him from falling into the wrong( read alcohol, drugs, no guidance etc) crowd because he is very susceptible having just come from that life.

If you have any neighbors with kids or slightly older teenagers whose values you are comfortable with, that would be a good resource. He will need one or two iconic "things" to help him fit in.The first visual signal thet "hey I'm new, but I am one of you". Around here it would be a Northface jacket, not necessarily new.

You brought up a boy . You know the drill. Your sister is an adult and whether she pulls herself together sounds problematic, but your nephew can still be saved from that pit. You took on a big task- what happens after Spring break? If you don't want the Greek chorus commentary, tell me to STFU.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#82879 Mar 23, 2013
Mimi,
Lots of luck, and please try to be patient with him. I know exactly what you are describing, and as Aisle Sitter said, lay out boundaries. He will appreciate knowing when it's ok, and when it's not instead of you trying to be nice until you cant anymore.

You really are good peeps!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#82880 Mar 23, 2013
beat the crap out of him mimi. These people are full of it.

;)~

I found the pdf of my resume, which I'd emailed to myself the last time I got fed up with my boss! I'm on monster.com !

Neda, stay with me!

#82881 Mar 23, 2013
Does anybody use Linked In (or whatever its called)?
I occasionally get emails asking to join, but I am super lazy.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#82882 Mar 23, 2013
Thanks you guys. It's cool. Comment all you want, or not, whatever. I do know the drill of bringing up a boy. I don't see this as permanent, but I would like him to be settled a little bit. LOL Pelly Northface jackets...here too. <nod nod>

West Palm Beach, FL

#82883 Mar 23, 2013
A random thought hit me out of the blue a little while ago: Jasper's girlfriend's initials are PMS. I was in my car laughing out loud at this realization, and the fact that it took me two and a half months to make it.

Boat show in a little while, then drinks with new friends (I met this girl on the plane on Wednesday - this is the new social me).

West Palm Beach, FL

#82884 Mar 23, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Thanks you guys. It's cool. Comment all you want, or not, whatever. I do know the drill of bringing up a boy. I don't see this as permanent, but I would like him to be settled a little bit. LOL Pelly Northface jackets...here too. <nod nod>
Mimi, I have zero advice/input but I'm here "listening" and wishing you and everyone else in the situation the best.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#82885 Mar 23, 2013
RACE wrote:
I hate Linked In. They set me up with a profile without my permission YEARS ago. I still get "invites" from people on there (including people I really know, and people I've never met, in other states).

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#82886 Mar 23, 2013
RACE wrote:
Facebook is social networking.
Linked in is professional networking.
Some of the things you can do on linked in:
-post job history/resume/pseudo resume
-have your connections post little recommendations on how great you are at what you do
-search job listings that have been posted to linked in
-exchange messages just like you would on Facebook

Its probably most useful to the schmoozy networking type people.

Neda, stay with me!

#82887 Mar 23, 2013
Thas is so NOT me!
And we all know I am on FB either.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Its probably most useful to the schmoozy networking type people.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82888 Mar 23, 2013
RACE wrote:
I do. Not quite as much as I am here, but a lot. It makes a good place to exchange legitimate professional information. The quality of the experience can depend on which Groups you join. I have gotten one job through their listings and kept contact with people I knew professionally but was not close towho then turn up with current business.

If you join, use an email address that sounds professional and is yours, not your employer's

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82889 Mar 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate Linked In. They set me up with a profile without my permission YEARS ago. I still get "invites" from people on there (including people I really know, and people I've never met, in other states).
I doubt it was Linked In. That was not the way they worked.Their selling point is substantive interaction between people who want to be there

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82890 Mar 23, 2013
RACE wrote:
Thas is so NOT me!
And we all know I am on FB either.
<quoted text>
You don't have to schmooze. You can lurk. I find it a very good way to keep current on things which are important but tangential to what I do IRL. Also, when I have run into a technical question, it is very good for quick info and you can assess the quality of the source by looking at their profile.

If you do sign up, only take the free version

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#82891 Mar 23, 2013
We have been in this house since 1988. I am cleaning out the 2 junk drawers in the kitchen. I found Domino's pizza coupons which expired in 1996 and matches from restaurants which are long out of business, all the scissors I thought I lost, enough chopsticks to stock a small restaurant, etc..

Also cleaning out teh freezer, defrosting unknown things to eat. Frozen stuffed peppers anyone?

My convection oven is not making me happy. Last try it browned eh front half of the muffins but not the back. This time it cooked evenly but did not brown the tops at all.

I am NOT a rookie cook and this is making me nuts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min woodtick57 1,110,878
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Scrutiny 178,070
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 22 min The King of Dixie 49,857
Drop a letter lose 10 words ! 37 min Anonymous5 22
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 38 min Correct 4,032
Playboy offered Sarah Palin $4 Million to pose ... 2 hr jia 3
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Twisted Nixon 46,707
Amy 9-18 9 hr edogxxx 35
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info