Topix Chitown Regulars

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#82677 Mar 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/20/ opinion/george-gay-marriage/in dex.html?hpt=hp_t3
This is for Edog in the morning. He needs to know that he is right about something.
I'm ALWAYS right. That is a major argument for those who oppose gay marriage.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#82678 Mar 21, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Age appropriate conversations. My boys see my husband and me kissing on the mouth (not making out, usually, but we are affectionate).
That is not SEX. You know, the stuff the writer was talking about.

"I know you know “how it works” because we’ve been talking about it ever since you two were little, since before you could read, and you know all about sperm and eggs and penises and vaginas and vulvas and orgasms and condoms and all that"

One kid was 8. I don't see it as age appropriate to talk about condoms and orgasms with an 8 year old(or younger as the writer suggests is the case).

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#82679 Mar 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/20/ opinion/george-gay-marriage/in dex.html?hpt=hp_t3
This is for Edog in the morning. He needs to know that he is right about something.
Exactly. If it's someone else's opinion as well, it has to be correct.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#82680 Mar 21, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Stop touching yourself in front of Mommy, even in that bathtub! You can do that in private).
Are you being serious? Your kids are what, 4 to 6ish? I think that's a little young to encourage them to play with themselves, even in private.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#82681 Mar 21, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Are you being serious? Your kids are what, 4 to 6ish? I think that's a little young to encourage them to play with themselves, even in private.
Encourage?! They do it! Either I tell them no, which makes it seem like they are doing something bad or dirty and gives them a complex, or I tell them not to do it in front of people.

I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#82682 Mar 21, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you being serious? Your kids are what, 4 to 6ish? I think that's a little young to encourage them to play with themselves, even in private.
WTF? I missed that part of her post. Sorry, but that is just nuts to me. Sex and masturbation are going to happen on their own. I see no reason to encourage it. That's just weird.

Jess, serious question. If you are instructing a boy not to stop touching himself, but to simply do it in private, are you ok with getting a daughter a vibrator, since you seem to be so open and ok with it? I can't imagine ever telling my boys to go yank it in his room.

I don't think I'm a prude, but this seems way over the line to me.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#82683 Mar 21, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Encourage?! They do it! Either I tell them no, which makes it seem like they are doing something bad or dirty and gives them a complex, or I tell them not to do it in front of people.
I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old.
If my kid is doing something in public that is inappropriate, I have no problem just telling them not to do it. Period. I don't want to have to deal with them determining WHEN something is ok or not.

Take going to the bathroom and being naked. My kid has not modesty. He will go to the bathroom with the door open and not care. Doesn't matter what he's doing in there. I have to keep on him to close the damn door. My wife, does not think its a big deal. But then when the neighbor kids are over, to play in the pool, one of which is a girl in 3rd or 4th grade, and he leaves the door open, or walks out naked cause he can't find his swim trunks, I consider that a problem. Instead of struggling to get him to differentiate that being naked in situation A is ok but situation B,C,D,E,& F are not, I am fine with, keep the f'n door closed when you are in the bathroom.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#82684 Mar 21, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>WTF? I missed that part of her post. Sorry, but that is just nuts to me. Sex and masturbation are going to happen on their own. I see no reason to encourage it. That's just weird.
Jess, serious question. If you are instructing a boy not to stop touching himself, but to simply do it in private, are you ok with getting a daughter a vibrator, since you seem to be so open and ok with it? I can't imagine ever telling my boys to go yank it in his room.
I don't think I'm a prude, but this seems way over the line to me.
Tonka -- that's apples and oranges here. I agree with Jess. To tell them sternly, "Stop that!" makes them feel they are doing something wrong. Telling them not to do it in front of people is teaching them it's a private thing. Kids have no boundaries and do not know what is appropriate, when.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#82685 Mar 21, 2013
Also, I don't see it as encouraging it. I see it as a statement. You do it in private.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#82686 Mar 21, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Encourage?! They do it! Either I tell them no, which makes it seem like they are doing something bad or dirty and gives them a complex, or I tell them not to do it in front of people.
I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old.
Well boo hoo, we can't have kids getting a complex, that will damage their precious little egos. It's FAR more important to allow a four year old to yank it.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#82687 Mar 21, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Encourage?! They do it! Either I tell them no, which makes it seem like they are doing something bad or dirty and gives them a complex, or I tell them not to do it in front of people.
I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old.
By the way, my kid did go thru a phase where he was grabbing himself all the damn time. We knew it was going on and tried like hell to get him to stop. His karate teacher brought it to our attention as did a teacher. "Just don't do it in public" never entered my mind. we wanted him to stop. Period.

"Do you have to go to the bathroom? No? then stop grabbing your peepee."

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#82688 Mar 21, 2013
Toj wrote:
Kids have no boundaries and do not know what is appropriate, when.
Exactly. So instead of expecting them to be able to analyze each situation to determine whether something is appropriate, I am fine with "this is not appropriate".

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#82689 Mar 21, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. So instead of expecting them to be able to analyze each situation to determine whether something is appropriate, I am fine with "this is not appropriate".
To each his own. I believe in teaching kids when things are appropriate and giving correct information at a level they can handle.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#82690 Mar 21, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Encourage?! They do it! Either I tell them no, which makes it seem like they are doing something bad or dirty and gives them a complex, or I tell them not to do it in front of people.
I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old.
I hear ya, Jess.

We have a similar problem with Nunu and because she is such a mischievious little girl, the more we make a big deal about something, the more likely it is that she will do it. She likes the attention, good or bad. I don't try and tell her what she can do while she's in the tub in private, but once I come in to bathe her, I will tell her to stop. She's about over this phase anyway, thank goodness.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#82691 Mar 21, 2013
...and yet, this conversation is somehow still more riveting than when this thread goes all political-y.

Team Toj and Jess on this one. I assumed that was kind of the standard in parenting these days.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#82692 Mar 21, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>WTF? I missed that part of her post. Sorry, but that is just nuts to me. Sex and masturbation are going to happen on their own. I see no reason to encourage it. That's just weird.
Jess, serious question. If you are instructing a boy not to stop touching himself, but to simply do it in private, are you ok with getting a daughter a vibrator, since you seem to be so open and ok with it? I can't imagine ever telling my boys to go yank it in his room.
I don't think I'm a prude, but this seems way over the line to me.
How do you equate telling a boy not to touch himself in front of people to buying a girl a vibrator? If I had a girl, I would be telling her the same thing (because little girls discover that it feels good to rub up against things). That doesn't mean that I am going to be buying my children (of any age) sex toys. It just means that I want them to respect their bodies by keeping some things private.

It also means that I want to keep an open dialogue with my children. If they are in pain or if someone is doing something inappropriate, I have already shown them that I am willing to talk about things instead of just telling them "no" or shutting them down. I don't want them thinking that their only resource is their friends when things start to happen to their bodies (I am not looking forward to puberty) or when girls start acting weird instead of just being one of the guys.

I set limits and have rules in my house. I am not a person who believes that as long as kids are having sex under their parents' roof it is better than them sneaking off and doing it somewhere else. I don't give my kids (or any other kids) alcohol before they are 21 (well, not since I became a parent). But communication and education are really important to me because I always took a lack of willingness on the part of adults to address difficult subjects as a challenge to explore them on my own. Kids are smarter than most adults give them credit for.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#82693 Mar 21, 2013
Today's quote brought to you by Ricky Gervais:

"Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right."

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#82694 Mar 21, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Well boo hoo, we can't have kids getting a complex, that will damage their precious little egos. It's FAR more important to allow a four year old to yank it.
I don't think you get it. 4 year olds get erections, but they do not ejaculate. That doesn't happen until puberty. I know you went through this, but you seem to need more explanation. At this age it is about something happening to their bodies that they don't understand, but feels good or seems funny to them.

I am not encouraging my boys to go off and do anything, but neither am I discouraging them from learning about their own bodies (note I did not say other people's bodies). The better you know your own body, the better you can recognize when you are sick, when you are hungry, when you are tired, etc. It is about awareness.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#82695 Mar 21, 2013
Maybe if parents would stop having sex in front of the kids, they would not be so anxious to masturbate.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Well boo hoo, we can't have kids getting a complex, that will damage their precious little egos. It's FAR more important to allow a four year old to yank it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#82696 Mar 21, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you get it. 4 year olds get erections, but they do not ejaculate. That doesn't happen until puberty. I know you went through this, but you seem to need more explanation. At this age it is about something happening to their bodies that they don't understand, but feels good or seems funny to them.
I am not encouraging my boys to go off and do anything, but neither am I discouraging them from learning about their own bodies (note I did not say other people's bodies). The better you know your own body, the better you can recognize when you are sick, when you are hungry, when you are tired, etc. It is about awareness.
Once again you guys are trying to tell me what I do or don't "get."

I'm not sure if this borders on abuse or not, but it's definitely a collossial parenting failure on your part. You are doing your children a great disservice by never saying "no" to them or never telling them not to do something because you don't want them to "get a complex." They're gonna grow up and learn the hard way that they can't get and do whatever they want.

So we've learned that it's okay to have sex while your children are in bed with you, and now it's okay to teach a young child how to masturbate. You people are unbelievable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 197,031
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Into The Night 54,514
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Yeah 1,275,921
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 hr Pennie Lane 6,418
DONALD TRUMP REVEALED as NIGERIAN PRINCE ! ..bi... 10 hr TRUMP ADMENSTRUATION 1
Loan shark, loan lender, Apply for loan offer 10 hr MonicaJ 1
Fast loan needed for urgent purpose?. Apply now. (Apr '14) 10 hr MonicaJ 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages