Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#82523 Mar 18, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not talking about republicans. I'm talking about the left. He may take criticisms from liberals, but it was very high profile with Bush and all over the news. Obama signs an extension to the patriot act in 2012 and there's not even a whimper.
I've also never heard anyone on here who voted for him say one bad thing about him ... not even from fair and balanced Sam who evaluates every issue on its own merits. Heck, edog points out that Obama flip flopped on gay marriage because you all are criticizing a republican for doing so, in outraged fashion, and except for you splainin it away as a lie, no one says shyte. It's almost like folks are like, nah, didn't happen ... I didn't see anything ... I can't hear you!
I don't get that. I'll vote for someone and as sure as the sun rises, I'll say man, he f'd up this, he f'd up, he f'd up here. No one is going to be perfect, but that's not going to stop me from recognizing so and even if not pointing every mistake out, recognizing them.
I was just as critical of Bush, as you all were. The difference is once your man got in the white house it's like you all put your blinders on. Obama is not that different from Bush, which is a shame, because we didn't need 16 years of Bush and his policies.
I've bashed Obama here. Heck, Just last week I said that I believed he lied about gay marriage. You don't see all, know all, read all, hear all.

Location hidden

#82524 Mar 18, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
POW's are not entitled to due process.
Technically, they're not POWs. POWs would have had far more rights.

We threw the Geneva Convention out the window.

Heck, McCain has harsh words about how we've treated some of those men -- one man in gitmo for four years was an AMERICAN CITIZEN. His family didn't even know he was in there. He did nothing wrnog. Someone lied for the government's reward money and bam.

Location hidden

#82526 Mar 18, 2013
"Oh please." that was snotty. sorry. I'm trying to do better.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#82527 Mar 18, 2013
PEllen wrote:
So what exactly would you, Sub( as nominal represntative of the right) or you Ang ( as nominal respresentative for teh left), have done with the prisoners captured in Afganistan?

I won't list alternatives because this is not a sarcastic question.
I have no problem with Gitmo, so long as folks are treated humanely. What the f' does it matter if these people sit in a pen in cuba or in the states? I have no problem with military tribunals either for POWs.

My comments weren't about my thinking it should be closed. they were directed at the fact that the left went ape shyte over Gitmo and blamed Bush ... it was almost a rallying cry ... and Obama gets in office and you hear nothing about it.

Location hidden

#82528 Mar 18, 2013
PEllen wrote:
(Wait for it....)

"You can't come in here without a Thai. "
Lol!

Location hidden

#82529 Mar 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I've bashed Obama here. Heck, Just last week I said that I believed he lied about gay marriage. You don't see all, know all, read all, hear all.
You weren't bashing him when you said he lied. It came more off as a defense of him and to negate edog pointing out that he changed his mind on the issue. You may not have meant it that way, but, my impression is that it was a rebuttal as in ... Obama could never have been against gay marriage ... I think he was just saying that to get elected so that he could do right by gays.

Location hidden

#82530 Mar 18, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You weren't bashing him when you said he lied. It came more off as a defense of him and to negate edog pointing out that he changed his mind on the issue. You may not have meant it that way, but, my impression is that it was a rebuttal as in ... Obama could never have been against gay marriage ... I think he was just saying that to get elected so that he could do right by gays.
\

I wasn't defending him at all. I believed in the beginning when he said whatever it was that was anti-gay marriage, he lied and knew he was lying at the time. I told people that at the time. Iwas not surprised in any way when he "changed his mind." Or had a change of heart or whatever.

Frankly, I've been following John McCain's political career longer than most people. And he was GREAT until the GOP got ahold ofhim and started sticking their puppet hands up his posterior. His flip flops are ridiculous lies. I think he believes what political "experts" tell him, that if he wants to get elected, he needs to pander to X group.

He's starting to speak out more these days -- and military-related stuff is when he really sticks to his beliefs and his character. He won't compromise that stuff, in general. Too bad he's really starting to get up there in years. I expect he'll retire after at most one more term.

Location hidden

#82531 Mar 18, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I absolutely believed he lied about it as part of the election strategy. Blacks are much less tolerant of gay marriage than whites -- especially church-going blacks.

Everyone running does this. I think it's pathetic and sells the American public short. I think in general, people appreciate someone who presents himself honestly, with complications and conflicts, but says "this is what you can count on me doing for you" or "These are my beliefs, I'm going to act accordingly while in office."

Even if the opposite had happene,d I'd feel the same way. As in. Eh. I expect them to lie/change their minds when it's convenient. Par for the course.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#82532 Mar 18, 2013
Didn't we make a "let's 'debate' politics" thread a while back?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#82533 Mar 19, 2013

Location hidden

#82534 Mar 19, 2013
It's flippin' winter out there! 8 degrees when I left home. On this day last year, it was 79 degrees.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#82535 Mar 19, 2013
Global warming gone Berserk!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It's flippin' winter out there! 8 degrees when I left home. On this day last year, it was 79 degrees.

Location hidden

#82536 Mar 19, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
What poor reading comprehension we have. The Sequester was owned by both parties.
And please provide some substance re: your tax hike comments.
What part of the article that I posted did you not understand? According to two high level white house aides, it was Obama's idea?

In terms of the Sequester being owned by both parties, that's also not true. Obama lied and said it wasn't his idea, so as to disavow any ownership of it.

Before edog provides some substance how about YOU provide some substance for the things you say...

Location hidden

#82537 Mar 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>\
I wasn't defending him at all. I believed in the beginning when he said whatever it was that was anti-gay marriage, he lied and knew he was lying at the time. I told people that at the time. Iwas not surprised in any way when he "changed his mind." Or had a change of heart or whatever.
Frankly, I've been following John McCain's political career longer than most people. And he was GREAT until the GOP got ahold ofhim and started sticking their puppet hands up his posterior. His flip flops are ridiculous lies. I think he believes what political "experts" tell him, that if he wants to get elected, he needs to pander to X group.
He's starting to speak out more these days -- and military-related stuff is when he really sticks to his beliefs and his character. He won't compromise that stuff, in general. Too bad he's really starting to get up there in years. I expect he'll retire after at most one more term.
Fair enough, Angela. However, I still wouldn't characterize your statement about him lying as "bashing" him.

Neda, stay with me!

#82538 Mar 19, 2013
Of course not! He was lying for the good of the gays.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough, Angela. However, I still wouldn't characterize your statement about him lying as "bashing" him.

Location hidden

#82539 Mar 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
Of course not! He was lying for the good of the gays.
<quoted text>
See, I wasn't the only one. That's exactly how I interpreted her initial comment. I didn't come off as bashing at all.

Neda, stay with me!

#82540 Mar 19, 2013

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#82541 Mar 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
And here's one for Race:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/01/20/...

How long you wanna do this?

Neda, stay with me!

#82542 Mar 19, 2013
Whats your point? You did not even provide a link to a news sight, just some latchkey site that promotes its own agenda.

Oh, and your story only proves my contention that gun safety should be taught in schools. This is just another example of a tragic accident, just like so many car crashes involving youngsters who get behind the wheel of a car without adequate training.

We cant go round and round sam unless your actually in the loop!
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
And here's one for Race:
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/01/20/...
How long you wanna do this?

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#82543 Mar 19, 2013
In other news...

I got told yesterday afternoon that my sister will be here tomorrow night and I have to go to Amtrak to pick her up.

#herewego...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min sonicfilter 1,126,996
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMerde 50,640
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,665
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr grave digger 47,501
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr jacques Ottawa 179,418
Abby 10-23-14 4 hr pde 10
Amy 10-24 5 hr edogxxx 11
Abby 10-24 6 hr edogxxx 23
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]