Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Oh man, does anyone else get chocked up at the U.S. Army commercial with the woman soldier in her fatigues in the living room with her parents, talking about her joining? When her dad talks about her, I tear up every time.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I actually understand changing one's mind on fiscal practices and policies. different experts chime in, things change int he economy, and you get a different perspective, right or wrong.

But when it comes to issues related to our humanity and treating each other with equality and fairness and compassion, no, I don't think generally a person changes his mind on those things. Personal experience, as jess said, is what changes a person.
Obama was pure grandstanding when he voted against the debt ceiling. He talked about how it was a sign of failed leadership. He wanted the publicity ... He wanted people to think fiscal discipline was important to him ... He wanted folks to believe he really cared about the issue. When he campaigned he went on and on about how wrong it was to leave all this debt to our children and grandchildren.

Then when he got into office, he made bush look like a true fiscal conservative.

I consider his motivation (to make people think he was something he was not ... just like how you admitted you think he actively deceived voters about him being against gay marriage ... If you feel that way, even you'd have to acknowledge clearly he's not above deceiving people) in doing that to be far worse than just plain old ignorance, which a lot of folks are, i.e. ignorant. who feel gay marriage should not be legal. You've got ignorance verses a fraud; what's worse?

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>Good grief. Have some logical and common sense thinking here. I'll try to put it in something you may understand. My statement is an apple is different from an orange. Nowhere in that sentence did I say one was more important then the other. Period.
Merely asserting something is an apple to orange comparison and not explaining why is merely conclusory. It's like saying "you're wrong, I'm right." It doesn't facilitate any discussion.

Also, saying this does nothing to explain why Obama can change his tune and its okay, but this guy can't? Is it merely because they are different issues? If so, what issues can one flip flop on without suffering the wrath of liberals?

Seems to me saying the issues are different and that's why Obama gets a pass without explaining why the fact that these issues are different necessitates Obama getting a pass is really a smoke screen for the fact that he's liberal and can do no wrong in the eyes of liberals, whereas republicans can do no right.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

A friend of mine just posted on Facebook that on his flight home, the "person" in the seat next to him was a K-9 soldier. With pics. How cool!

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
This is totally immature, but I love their reactions!

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2013/03/wea...
That is funny! Any name with Hugh in it should raise suspicions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

I don't think Obama *did* anything all on his own. I think every president, with few exceptions and on rare occasion, is told by a few Very Full Of Themselves People what he had to say in order to do XYZ to appease ABC and send DEF message to 456.

A big chucnk of politics is one big stupid game. Both parties do it, 95% of them do it (Paul Wellstone did not and should serve as an example of truly striving to serve one's principles and the people he represents), and I'm so used to it, I'm over it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
A friend of mine just posted on Facebook that on his flight home, the "person" in the seat next to him was a K-9 soldier. With pics. How cool!
That is VERY cool!!!!

I assume the k9 is a german shepherd. My Bailey was half GS. Tonight I went to Petco after having a fun supper with Nick and Alex (Nick Jr. is home sick), there was a guy with his gorgeous brown GS and he let me pet her, kiss her, and tell her I loved her ("Awww I love you too!").

I am jonesin' for a dog and a kitten.

Seriously for the kitten. We'll see.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

heh. hugh janus. I seriously have NEVER heard that one before!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>I'm feeling the same way about Wreckit Ralph.
Ah, suck. Did you at least enjoy it the first time around?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Oh man, does anyone else get chocked up at the U.S. Army commercial with the woman soldier in her fatigues in the living room with her parents, talking about her joining? When her dad talks about her, I tear up every time.
Haven't seen it, but the vids of deployed parents surprising their kids at school or wherever make me weep like the end of Old Yeller.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
That is so awesome!

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>That is VERY cool!!!!

I assume the k9 is a german shepherd. My Bailey was half GS. Tonight I went to Petco after having a fun supper with Nick and Alex (Nick Jr. is home sick), there was a guy with his gorgeous brown GS and he let me pet her, kiss her, and tell her I loved her ("Awww I love you too!").

Aww!

My anti-dog, pro-cat friend told me, before we got Dex, that I would resent getting a dog within 6 months.

Not for a moment. Goddamn, they are so fun.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I don't think Obama *did* anything all on his own. I think every president, with few exceptions and on rare occasion, is told by a few Very Full Of Themselves People what he had to say in order to do XYZ to appease ABC and send DEF message to 456.

A big chucnk of politics is one big stupid game. Both parties do it, 95% of them do it (Paul Wellstone did not and should serve as an example of truly striving to serve one's principles and the people he represents), and I'm so used to it, I'm over it.
So instead of calling out Obama who as you acknowledge does bait and switch shyte purely for political gain, plays with voters in typical slimeball politician fashion, and who tries to play the game better than his competition, you and others on here are going to criticize some guy who publicly admitted he was wrong on an issue he was very prominent on for all these years and changed his views out of love and understand for someone close to him? What's more genuine?

I have far more respect for someone who owns up to their past mistakes, not because it is some political game, but because it comes from a profound and genuine understanding that they were flat out wrong, regardless of how this comes about.

I also have more respect for someone who says what they believe, not to trick folks, but because it's actually what they believe, even if I don't agree with them, verses someone who is a weasel and just says what he thinks people want to hear.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>That is VERY cool!!!!

Yep, GS. I hope something cool like that happens on one of my flights, but I'll settle for seat mates who don't stink and aren't annoying.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

My friend B at work, the single dad I've mentioned, got a puppy recently and he's had his kids bring her to work to visit a couple of times. Oh... my... gosh - most chilled out puppy ever. She makes people who said "I never want a dog" want a dog.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, I pointed out the brain trust in the White House voted in favor of defaulting on debt and then changed his mind and Angela said in response that she finds fiscal issues, including, presumably, the one I mentioned, I.e. defaulting on debt, to be less important than civil rights, including, presumably, gay marriage.
This means she cares more about gay marriage than if we default on our debt.
This means she would rather we have gay marriage even if it meant we default on our debt, which isn't as important to her (who the f' needs a job, so long as gays can marry, right ... All those folks who rely on entitlements, including the elderly who rely on social security and Medicare, Medicaid, federal funding for education, funding for our men and women in the military ...all of which right now is funded partially by debt, who cares about them, so long as gays can marry, rights ... These "fiscal" things aren't as important, right. <<<< now you know why I said it's idiotic to say these fiscal matters are less important).
You said you agreed with her. Now you are trying to distance yourself. I don't blame you.
Have a good weekend too, Squishy!
:D
She's not trying to distance herself. She doesn't seem interested to respond to your rant. My take. Sure sounds like a rant. Accusing, veering off subject from gays to the military, etc.

Free country and all that.

I guess if you spout it you think it means you're on subject.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Aww!
My anti-dog, pro-cat friend told me, before we got Dex, that I would resent getting a dog within 6 months.
Not for a moment. Goddamn, they are so fun.
I am way more of a cat person than a dog person, but ... dogs are amazing. They love you like nothing else. I love that. I miss that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
My friend B at work, the single dad I've mentioned, got a puppy recently and he's had his kids bring her to work to visit a couple of times. Oh... my... gosh - most chilled out puppy ever. She makes people who said "I never want a dog" want a dog.
My CW -- live-in boyfriend and his three kids (and she is the best thing that could have happened to those kids -- just got a yellow lab puppy and it's the same thing: Low-key, awesome, gentle, non-hyper (relatively speaking) puppy and the kids LOVE her.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't seen it, but the vids of deployed parents surprising their kids at school or wherever make me weep like the end of Old Yeller.
Oh, it's really good. Adult daughter, in her parents' living room. Dad says how amazing it was to watch her go from his little gilr into a soldier, and how proud he was of her. She's saying: "I just knew I wanted to do more with my life."

When parents can be proud of their kid, despite NOT loving the choice their kid made (like military, cop, other very dangerous work), I just think that's extra sweet.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

11:44 PM. Just submitted my final school thing for the quarter.

SPRING BREAK BABY!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

91 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min fetch almighty 1,079,334
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min jacques Mont Tremblant 174,521
Execution takes 2 hours. GOOD,HAPPY 4 THAT 11 min Joe Wood killed 2 in 1989 1
Abby 7-24 12 min squishymama 15
Amy 7-24 25 min squishymama 17
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 35 min Uzi 67,901
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Terry rigsby 48,878
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search