Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#82377 Mar 15, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>I'm done responding to things I've never said.

Have a good weekend.
Look, I pointed out the brain trust in the White House voted in favor of defaulting on debt and then changed his mind and Angela said in response that she finds fiscal issues, including, presumably, the one I mentioned, I.e. defaulting on debt, to be less important than civil rights, including, presumably, gay marriage.

This means she cares more about gay marriage than if we default on our debt.
This means she would rather we have gay marriage even if it meant we default on our debt, which isn't as important to her (who the f' needs a job, so long as gays can marry, right ... All those folks who rely on entitlements, including the elderly who rely on social security and Medicare, Medicaid, federal funding for education, funding for our men and women in the military ...all of which right now is funded partially by debt, who cares about them, so long as gays can marry, rights ... These "fiscal" things aren't as important, right. <<<< now you know why I said it's idiotic to say these fiscal matters are less important).

You said you agreed with her. Now you are trying to distance yourself. I don't blame you.

Have a good weekend too, Squishy!

:D

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#82378 Mar 15, 2013
Yay. My weekend houseguests are here. Time to start drinking.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#82379 Mar 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't call anybody out.
I also don't compare debt ceiling/fiscal policy changes to *civil rights* issues.
Sub, this is the post of Angela's that I agreed with.

Nothing about anything being more important, just a simple statement that she did not find these two situations comparable.

We're about to watch Wreckit Ralph.

Again.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#82380 Mar 15, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Yay. My weekend houseguests are here. Time to start drinking.
I'm feeling the same way about Wreckit Ralph.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#82381 Mar 15, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I would rather have someone who changes his position because of personal interactions than a politician whose primary deciding factors are lobbyists and money.
Me too.

Location hidden

#82382 Mar 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Or votes. What do you make of Obama's flip-flop on gay marriage?
i think he lied in the beginning ( think he was fine with gay marriage in the first place) and planned this all along.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#82384 Mar 15, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you would rather we default on our debt if it meant gay people could marry? To say its less important than gay marriage is about the dumbest thing I've read anyone on topix say.
Good grief. Have some logical and common sense thinking here. I'll try to put it in something you may understand. My statement is an apple is different from an orange. Nowhere in that sentence did I say one was more important then the other. Period.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#82385 Mar 15, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
good luck with the transfers! the trains i've been on had enough space nearby that one could keep suitcases right by you. the first ones we were on were more like metra express runs, in that they were commuter trains, but the trip was like 2 hours (munich to nurnburg). i think they had enough space in the quad-seats to keep at least one suitcase by you, or you could keep moer and block the seats. the older trains aer worse for that, though. there are a lot of people traveling wiht suitcases on the train, so it's kinda no big deal, at least to the germans that i've seen.
but, each country can run their trains a little differently. i've only been in 2nd class cars - regular seats, not teh little cabins.
from my experiences, as long as you pay the usual attention to your stuff, and have "street smarts" yuo should be ok. i watch out more for the full-grown adults over the college kids. my parents have instilled a fear of hte gypsies, although i've never witnessed what they talk about fearing. teh college kids in munich (and i bet elsewhere too) are friendly, speak wonderful english, and are helpful if we looked really lost. MOst of the transit employees speak decent english too.
let me knwo if you have any other specific questions. my most recent european visits ahve been to munich, prior to that, it's been like 15 years, so i ahve a mixed bag of relevant info! ;-) PM me if you want....
Thanks. That was very helpful about the trains. I've got more street smarts then money.

This is more of an adventure then a vacation. When it's over I'll look back and say I can't believe I did it.

Location hidden

#82386 Mar 15, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm feeling the same way about Wreckit Ralph.
HA!!!!

Location hidden

#82387 Mar 15, 2013
I actually understand changing one's mind on fiscal practices and policies. different experts chime in, things change int he economy, and you get a different perspective, right or wrong.

But when it comes to issues related to our humanity and treating each other with equality and fairness and compassion, no, I don't think generally a person changes his mind on those things. Personal experience, as jess said, is what changes a person.

Location hidden

#82388 Mar 15, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>Sub, this is the post of Angela's that I agreed with.

Nothing about anything being more important, just a simple statement that she did not find these two situations comparable.

We're about to watch Wreckit Ralph.

Again.
Why aren't they comparable? Seems to me they are. They are both stupid decisions. Most of us agree that gay marriage should be legal and it's almost a universal consensus that defaulting on debt would be absolutely disastrous (and far worse for our nation as a whole than not legalizing gay marriage).

A republican changes his tune on gay marriage and now thinks it should be legal cause his son is gay and his change of tune is not cool to the supposed folks on here who purport to evaluate every issue on its merits and not along political lines.

Obama changes his tune on defaulting on debt, despite grandstanding over the issue when Bush was President, cause now that he's President he wants to continue with Bush's policies and spend money we don't have, cause like Bush he wont be around when we have to pay it back, and his change of tune is A-OK to the supposed folks on here who purport to evaluate every issue on its merits and not along political lines, lol.

Seems more than a bit hypocritical to me, especially coming from folks on here who claim to be impartial non-partisan hacks, who supposedly evaluate each issue on its merits and not along political lines. You see where I'm coming from? I'm not trying to be a jerk ... just pointing out how full of shyte they are.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#82389 Mar 15, 2013
This is totally immature, but I love their reactions!

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2013/03/wea...

Location hidden

#82390 Mar 15, 2013
Oh man, does anyone else get chocked up at the U.S. Army commercial with the woman soldier in her fatigues in the living room with her parents, talking about her joining? When her dad talks about her, I tear up every time.

Location hidden

#82391 Mar 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I actually understand changing one's mind on fiscal practices and policies. different experts chime in, things change int he economy, and you get a different perspective, right or wrong.

But when it comes to issues related to our humanity and treating each other with equality and fairness and compassion, no, I don't think generally a person changes his mind on those things. Personal experience, as jess said, is what changes a person.
Obama was pure grandstanding when he voted against the debt ceiling. He talked about how it was a sign of failed leadership. He wanted the publicity ... He wanted people to think fiscal discipline was important to him ... He wanted folks to believe he really cared about the issue. When he campaigned he went on and on about how wrong it was to leave all this debt to our children and grandchildren.

Then when he got into office, he made bush look like a true fiscal conservative.

I consider his motivation (to make people think he was something he was not ... just like how you admitted you think he actively deceived voters about him being against gay marriage ... If you feel that way, even you'd have to acknowledge clearly he's not above deceiving people) in doing that to be far worse than just plain old ignorance, which a lot of folks are, i.e. ignorant. who feel gay marriage should not be legal. You've got ignorance verses a fraud; what's worse?

Location hidden

#82392 Mar 15, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>Good grief. Have some logical and common sense thinking here. I'll try to put it in something you may understand. My statement is an apple is different from an orange. Nowhere in that sentence did I say one was more important then the other. Period.
Merely asserting something is an apple to orange comparison and not explaining why is merely conclusory. It's like saying "you're wrong, I'm right." It doesn't facilitate any discussion.

Also, saying this does nothing to explain why Obama can change his tune and its okay, but this guy can't? Is it merely because they are different issues? If so, what issues can one flip flop on without suffering the wrath of liberals?

Seems to me saying the issues are different and that's why Obama gets a pass without explaining why the fact that these issues are different necessitates Obama getting a pass is really a smoke screen for the fact that he's liberal and can do no wrong in the eyes of liberals, whereas republicans can do no right.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#82393 Mar 15, 2013
A friend of mine just posted on Facebook that on his flight home, the "person" in the seat next to him was a K-9 soldier. With pics. How cool!

Location hidden

#82394 Mar 15, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
This is totally immature, but I love their reactions!

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2013/03/wea...
That is funny! Any name with Hugh in it should raise suspicions.

Location hidden

#82395 Mar 15, 2013
I don't think Obama *did* anything all on his own. I think every president, with few exceptions and on rare occasion, is told by a few Very Full Of Themselves People what he had to say in order to do XYZ to appease ABC and send DEF message to 456.

A big chucnk of politics is one big stupid game. Both parties do it, 95% of them do it (Paul Wellstone did not and should serve as an example of truly striving to serve one's principles and the people he represents), and I'm so used to it, I'm over it.

Location hidden

#82396 Mar 15, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
A friend of mine just posted on Facebook that on his flight home, the "person" in the seat next to him was a K-9 soldier. With pics. How cool!
That is VERY cool!!!!

I assume the k9 is a german shepherd. My Bailey was half GS. Tonight I went to Petco after having a fun supper with Nick and Alex (Nick Jr. is home sick), there was a guy with his gorgeous brown GS and he let me pet her, kiss her, and tell her I loved her ("Awww I love you too!").

I am jonesin' for a dog and a kitten.

Seriously for the kitten. We'll see.

Location hidden

#82397 Mar 15, 2013
heh. hugh janus. I seriously have NEVER heard that one before!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Tony Rome 1,115,141
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 min JOEL 69,520
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr D-U-H 50,041
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 47,007
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Mandela 68,560
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr loose cannon 178,586
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr RACE 639

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]