Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, I lost my chart of who has secret, special relationships with each other. Someone shared a distressing situation, to those not in the know his post came off as dismissive. Please send me a guidebook so I don't make the same mistake again.
The problem with reading posts online is that you can't hear tone.

I read his original post as offensive because I read it with a light tone, which apparently was the manner it was intended. Because you couldn't hear it, it came across heavier and ruder to you. I don't think that this is about secret friendships, though the fact that we know each other well may help with understanding the intentions.

It also may be that I generally assume that everyone writes with the best of intentions, unless I am in a particularly bad mood (which I am not today).

I don't want to be the cause of arguments, when my friends are just trying to be supportive - all of you. Thank you for your kind words today.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>The problem with reading posts online is that you can't hear tone.

I read his original post as offensive because I read it with a light tone, which apparently was the manner it was intended. Because you couldn't hear it, it came across heavier and ruder to you. I don't think that this is about secret friendships, though the fact that we know each other well may help with understanding the intentions.

It also may be that I generally assume that everyone writes with the best of intentions, unless I am in a particularly bad mood (which I am not today).

I don't want to be the cause of arguments, when my friends are just trying to be supportive - all of you. Thank you for your kind words today.
*didn't read his original post as offensive... Oops!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
So this is facsinating to me. Working from home, I have had CNN on in the background, and they have been talking about the Jody Arias trial (the woman who shot and stabbed her bf 27 times). The trial testimony has been very salacious, but the really interesting part is that in Arizona (where the trial is) the jury gets to ask the witness questions. That would be awesome.
First question "Are you nucking futs?" Wait...that's rhetorical.

It's been an interesting trial. She remembers the most minute details about everything except, you know, stabbing the guy 27 times with no provocation and shooting him in the face and leaving him there to rot.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/hudson-f...

Khrap. I only know a first name right now and that he was a hockey player. Not sure if I know him personally, but this is quite a blow for our community.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm jealous; I'd look like a lesbian with that haircut. Not a lipstick one, either.
My friend K had a super short pixie-ish cut for awhile and I loved it. She has dark hair like Anne too.
I've been toying with the idea of going back to a pixie cut, but I always come back to the fact that my mom has a short cut and Dickie thinks I look too much like her when my hair is short. Not good. And she believes that "women of a certain age" (read over 25) should not have long hair. It's too sexy or something, so having long hair is sort of an eff you from me to her.

Lulu was telling me about a boy in her class yesterday who has long hair (her's is short), and that some 2nd grader in the hall called him a girl. She got a big kick out of that, since a substitute teacher called her a boy once.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of my guy friends are fans of the "girls should never have short hair" school of thought. I think some girl look better with shorter hair. Emma Watson is super cute with short hair.
Halle Berry is the only woman I've ever seen that I think looks better with short hair. She is the exception to the rule. Emma Watson? Short hair? Not attractive at all.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been toying with the idea of going back to a pixie cut, but I always come back to the fact that my mom has a short cut and Dickie thinks I look too much like her when my hair is short. Not good. And she believes that "women of a certain age" (read over 25) should not have long hair. It's too sexy or something, so having long hair is sort of an eff you from me to her.
Lulu was telling me about a boy in her class yesterday who has long hair (her's is short), and that some 2nd grader in the hall called him a girl. She got a big kick out of that, since a substitute teacher called her a boy once.
That was so much more offensive for my mom, when I was a kid and got called a boy, than it was for me. I was a beanpole tomboy with a pixie cut, I'd get called "young man" or something and my mom would be all "Can't they see you have earrings in?!"

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Halle Berry is the only woman I've ever seen that I think looks better with short hair. She is the exception to the rule. Emma Watson? Short hair? Not attractive at all.
Really? If everything I read on the internet is true, and I believe it is, 20-something-year-old dudes LOVE her.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? If everything I read on the internet is true, and I believe it is, 20-something-year-old dudes LOVE her.
Oh, I'd still do her, but generally I prefer longer hair. I think Meg Ryan rocks a short haircut too.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
That was so much more offensive for my mom, when I was a kid and got called a boy, than it was for me. I was a beanpole tomboy with a pixie cut, I'd get called "young man" or something and my mom would be all "Can't they see you have earrings in?!"
We've tried to persuade Lulu to get her ears pierced for that very reason, but she's not interested.

Now I had short hair as a child, but it was not my choice but my punishment for not letting my mom wash my hair. I hated it and hated being called a boy. I don't think I've ever really forgiven her, even though as a mom I understand how she could justify doing it. Not enough to forgive her, though.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
So this is facsinating to me. Working from home, I have had CNN on in the background, and they have been talking about the Jody Arias trial (the woman who shot and stabbed her bf 27 times). The trial testimony has been very salacious, but the really interesting part is that in Arizona (where the trial is) the jury gets to ask the witness questions. That would be awesome.
Juries actually have a LOT more leeway -- including overriding a judge -- than the Official Court SYstem would want people to believe. FIJA (Fully Informed Jury something or other) does a good job at informing people, but then they do weird shit that muddies the waters and makes them look bad.

But as a former jury researcher, I was 100% on board with informing jurors of their rights as jurors. Most judges and attorneys are against it and won't allow it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

I got 2-3 inches cut off last fall, hair was past my chin, and for NIck, it was too short. It's still too short now for him. He rarely expresses any preferences about my appearance, but since he cares about the hair, I'll grow it out again.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

my friend got her hair cut super short (pixie style) and her husband said "so long as there's enough in the back for me to hold on to, cut whatever you want." (She likes having her hair pulled during sex. I do NOT.)

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We've tried to persuade Lulu to get her ears pierced for that very reason, but she's not interested.
Now I had short hair as a child, but it was not my choice but my punishment for not letting my mom wash my hair. I hated it and hated being called a boy. I don't think I've ever really forgiven her, even though as a mom I understand how she could justify doing it. Not enough to forgive her, though.
That was why my sister and I both had short hair--we didn't like our mom brushing it. I don't think it was ever past my shoulders until I was old enough to care for it myself. I was fine with it mostly. It wasn't like I didn't have fair warning. Even in high school and college when it was super long, my mom would ask to play around with my hair and I wouldn't let her.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

They cant ask a question directly can they? I thought they could only ask that he answer (as in presenting a list of questions read by someone other than the jury)
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Juries actually have a LOT more leeway -- including overriding a judge -- than the Official Court SYstem would want people to believe. FIJA (Fully Informed Jury something or other) does a good job at informing people, but then they do weird shit that muddies the waters and makes them look bad.
But as a former jury researcher, I was 100% on board with informing jurors of their rights as jurors. Most judges and attorneys are against it and won't allow it.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! Dickie played that video for the girls and every once and awhile, I'll hear one of them singing "ain't nobody got time fo dat" over and over and over. It's really cute.
<quoted text>
Just pretend you're really cold and keep your hat on. Or you could go out and get some of our magic hair potion: club soda in a spray bottle. I don't know how it works, but my hair always looks better after using it.
Or, you could take a beauty and hair care hint from There's Something About Mary.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the ONLY girl? Think maybe they just hired you for office eye candy?
You need to do a better job of looking good for everyone, girl.
Yeah, I heard tell, they yell Hey Tilly, get me a cup of coffee, er, Java.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
That was why my sister and I both had short hair--we didn't like our mom brushing it. I don't think it was ever past my shoulders until I was old enough to care for it myself. I was fine with it mostly. It wasn't like I didn't have fair warning. Even in high school and college when it was super long, my mom would ask to play around with my hair and I wouldn't let her.
My mom *says* she gave me fair warning, but I don't remember that at all.

She's always trying to get me to cut Nunu's hair, but Nunu wants it long, no matter how out of control it is at most times. So I let her keep it long <mimishrug>. I certainly don't want her to have the same feelings about me/my hair/my mother that I do!

I recently realized that Lulu has Beyonce hair and Nunu has Solange hair.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Lunchtime and I need to get out of the office, I think. Can't decide if I want Indian or Mexican...

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Lunchtime and I need to get out of the office, I think. Can't decide if I want Indian or Mexican...
Indian!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 80,741 - 80,760 of96,157
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

35 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min wojar 167,697
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 38 min Jack 3,785
Happy Easter Chicago 9 dead 50 min joey 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 65,215
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr mdbuilder 43,043
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr DoDaDoDaDay 47,081
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,034,754
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance