Topix Chitown Regulars

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#81895 Mar 7, 2013
angela wrote:
Sorry, Jess.:(
i remember when my grandpa died, it was all about me (I was 12, first loss of my life). I didn't get why my mom was so upset though. She's a grownup (she was 32). Shouldn't she have a better grip on things?
Sorryfor being a clueless 12yo, mom.
I remember being about 7 and seeing my grandma cry at my great-grandfather's funeral. I was totally weirded out by that, thinking "Didn't she realize he was super old?" and then some time later realizing "Ohmygod, that's her DAD." And then I felt horrible.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81896 Mar 7, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't have open caskets at Jewish funerals. The family is allowed to say good bye privately before the casket is closed, if they want to. I never saw my grandparents in their caskets nor my one uncle who died.
The first open casket wake I attended was of a much older gentleman who had sort of professionally adopted me and ran professional interference for me when I was still in grad school. I reacted like Squishy even more because I had been to visit him in the hospital what turned out to be the day before he died.
My mom's side of the family is trending towards cremation with no open casket, and let me tell you, the difference is like night and day for me. Instead of being a shaking nervous wreck, I was able to, dare I say, enjoy the visitations of my mom, grandparents, and second cousin. There were pictures up, you just kind of milled around and talked to people. Took a lot of the weirdness out of it all.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81897 Mar 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember being about 7 and seeing my grandma cry at my great-grandfather's funeral. I was totally weirded out by that, thinking "Didn't she realize he was super old?" and then some time later realizing "Ohmygod, that's her DAD." And then I felt horrible.
That was your grandma's cue to start hoarding!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81898 Mar 7, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you flood 9 floord of a building in MN in March?

Location hidden

#81899 Mar 7, 2013
RACE wrote:
From what? Snow or water main?
<quoted text>
Heh. Water. It's the 3rd time in 5 years. There's something about that side of the building.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#81900 Mar 7, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
I thought we missed the bad weather when it didn't storm yesterday like they had predicted, but I see snowflakes outside! How's the weather for you guys?
Spring keeps promising it's on the way...several days of nice warm weather and blue skies, then BAM, rain, overcast, and cold again. I guess Winter enjoys playing practical jokes or else Spring is a big fat tease. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81901 Mar 7, 2013
RACE wrote:
It's FREEZING! Flippin 55 degrees, I have a space heater cranked up under my desk! Great sleeping weather, but no fun to work in.
<quoted text>
You see this is why it will never work. 55 is "shirt sleeve" weather to me. Hell at 65 I start thinking about breaking out the AC.

Miami, FL

#81902 Mar 7, 2013
Jess, we're here for you. {more hugs}

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81903 Mar 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
My mom's side of the family is trending towards cremation with no open casket, and let me tell you, the difference is like night and day for me. Instead of being a shaking nervous wreck, I was able to, dare I say, enjoy the visitations of my mom, grandparents, and second cousin. There were pictures up, you just kind of milled around and talked to people. Took a lot of the weirdness out of it all.
I avoid funerals when I can. If I can't, and there is an open casket, I just don't look.

When I was 7 my mother's great uncle (her grandmother's brother) died. She'd been raised by her mom, grandmother, and that uncle,(same house) so she was super close to him, he was the father figure (he father was in Iowa and she never saw him again after age 6 or so) and of course I'd know him all of my short life.

There was an open casket and they made me look, AND kiss him goodbye (forehead). WHO DOES THAT to a little kid? Gross, gross, gross. They never should have taken me in the first damn place.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#81904 Mar 7, 2013
Honey, you can dress as skimpy as you like, and if you like wearing tight fitting shirts in the cold with no bra... who am I to complain?

Ha my code is 7979, soooo close!
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
You see this is why it will never work. 55 is "shirt sleeve" weather to me. Hell at 65 I start thinking about breaking out the AC.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81905 Mar 7, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! That's everyone's excuse on Hoarders. "Uh, somebody I care about died, now I have to poop in a cat litter bucket."

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81906 Mar 7, 2013
RACE wrote:
Honey, you can dress as skimpy as you like, and if you like wearing tight fitting shirts in the cold with no bra... who am I to complain?<quoted text>
I keep telling you, nobody wants to see that.
RACE wrote:
Ha my code is 7979, soooo close!
<quoted text>
Ha!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81907 Mar 7, 2013
I've been to open caskets and closed caskets. While I'm not particularly fond of attending the open caskets, I have noticed it helps with the realization of the finality of it. Of course, you KNOW intellectually but emotionally, for me, the period of mourning is much shorter.

Most touching tribute was when I was 20. A very good friend of our group of close friends died in a car accident. He always wore a red bandana -- it was always in his pocket or tied to a belt loop or on his motorcycle. He never went anywhere without it. One of our friends was able to get his bandana and before the coffin was lowered into the ground he tied it on one of the handles.

Kind of makes me teary-eyed even now.

Miami, FL

#81908 Mar 7, 2013
My friend K in Japan asked me to share memories of my grandmother for a story she's writing. Reading her email brought tears to my eyes. I'm honored and my grandmother would be too.
Timmy

United States

#81909 Mar 7, 2013
Race, you should be glad you don't live in Lake County.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-andrew...

For those to lazy to read the article.

Lake County cops follow a assault suspect on a motrocycle to an apartment complex. Find the bike, but don't see which building/apt he went to. Bang on the door of an aprtment near the bike and do not identify themsleves as police even though it is 1:30 AM. Homeowner alarmed by the unexpected banging on his door in the middle of the night, gets his gun and answers door. Cop sees gun and immedately shoots the homeowner multiple times killing him. The State investigation found the officer did not do anything wrong. The sherrif maitains that making his officers announce they are police will put them at risk so he will not make them do that.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81910 Mar 7, 2013
My unexpectedly fertile friend just texted me, she had her first sono. Only one baby. Thank goodness. Going to tell the rest of their brood tonight. I can't wait to see that video.

Location hidden

#81911 Mar 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
My unexpectedly fertile friend just texted me, she had her first sono. Only one baby. Thank goodness. Going to tell the rest of their brood tonight. I can't wait to see that video.
Hey, our IT guy showed me how to get on the internet when it's down for the rest of the office!:D But made me promise not to tell anyone.

Anyway... coworker posted on FB last night that they're having a boy (third baby). They posted pics of her two young boys, one with a pink balloon (the one who wanted a brother) and the other boy held a blue balloon (he wanted a sister). THen there's a pic of them popping one balloon, and the remaining balloon being blue tells us the next baby is a boy. It's cuter than I'm describing. They took the boys to the ultrasound on Monday.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#81912 Mar 7, 2013
Today's absurdity:

One of the cardinal electors for the next Pope said ties to anyone guilty of sexual misconduct whether intended or unintended COULD put a man's candidacy IN QUESTION IF it could distract from his spiritual mission.

WTF? Could? In question?? If???

Shouldn't it be a little more definite than that? Especially in light of the Catholic church's history in that regard? Ya' know, since we're talking about who's going to be the friggin' Pope? I mean, he's only the leader of the Catholic church and one of the 3 or 4 most important religious figures in the world. I'm not a believer, so it doesn't really matter to me, but I would think that if the highest standards should ever apply, this would be one of those times.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81913 Mar 7, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, our IT guy showed me how to get on the internet when it's down for the rest of the office!:D But made me promise not to tell anyone.
Anyway... coworker posted on FB last night that they're having a boy (third baby). They posted pics of her two young boys, one with a pink balloon (the one who wanted a brother) and the other boy held a blue balloon (he wanted a sister). THen there's a pic of them popping one balloon, and the remaining balloon being blue tells us the next baby is a boy. It's cuter than I'm describing. They took the boys to the ultrasound on Monday.
I like the gender reveal cake. White cake colored pink or blue, then covered in frosting. Older sib dives in to the cake for the reveal.

Mostly I just like cake.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81914 Mar 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I like the gender reveal cake. White cake colored pink or blue, then covered in frosting. Older sib dives in to the cake for the reveal.
Mostly I just like cake.
The balloon thing sounded cute but I like cake, too. What a great idea!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Four Dead in Bridgeview Head-On Collision (Jul '14) 7 min MyNameIsToby 75
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Justus von Liebig 194,598
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Quirky 1,263,787
Chicago One Direction concert on the 23rd! 2 hr Tristascottcom 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 54,323
Sasitorn boonsin 4 hr donna 1
News Hogar Crea, regional drug rehab group, ripping ... (Apr '08) 12 hr Sergant of order 161
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages