“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#81884 Mar 7, 2013
Were here for ya! If ya want we can start talking about intergalactic liberal aliens and their plan to put our planet on welfare for votes in the Federation.
Jess in NJ wrote:
I feel helpless. The people I love most are in so much pain and there is so little I can do to comfort them. Ry kept drawing pictures of broken hearts last night. I told him that drawing pictures or writing stories are good things to do.
My husband can't sleep. His father lost consciousness 5 minutes before he got to the hospital and never regained it. He feels like he was asked to make the decision about whether or not to take drastic measures to save his father's life, though there was no real decision to make because his body was failing and if a machine could keep him alive it would not be for very long.
Today, we will just be thankful for supportive family and friends.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81885 Mar 7, 2013
I thought we missed the bad weather when it didn't storm yesterday like they had predicted, but I see snowflakes outside! How's the weather for you guys?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#81886 Mar 7, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
I thought we missed the bad weather when it didn't storm yesterday like they had predicted, but I see snowflakes outside! How's the weather for you guys?
Sunny today. And they're predicting temps in the 50's for the weekend, so after the 10" of snow we just got it's going to become nice and sloppy 'round here.

I came feel spring trying to bust out. It's the birds; they're back and chirpping up a storm in the mornings.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#81887 Mar 7, 2013
RACE wrote:
Were here for ya! If ya want we can start talking about intergalactic liberal aliens and their plan to put our planet on welfare for votes in the Federation.
<quoted text>
Been watching too much Clone Wars, haven't you?

Neda, stay with me!

#81888 Mar 7, 2013
HA, had to google that. Never heard of it, but star wars was not my thing anyway.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Been watching too much Clone Wars, haven't you?

Neda, stay with me!

#81889 Mar 7, 2013
It's FREEZING! Flippin 55 degrees, I have a space heater cranked up under my desk! Great sleeping weather, but no fun to work in.
Jess in NJ wrote:

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81890 Mar 7, 2013
Building is flooded -- west side of all nine floors. our plotter room is in serious trouble. Network is being taken down any sec, we'll lose internet, email, and they'r going to shut the power to the building down for a while. Taking the stairs up 7 flights nearly killed me.

Se eyou all later sometime today!:)

Location hidden

#81891 Mar 7, 2013
Freezing? Heh. It was 9 degrees when I left home this morning, but we'll peak at 34 today!!

Neda, stay with me!

#81892 Mar 7, 2013
From what? Snow or water main?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Building is flooded -- west side of all nine floors. our plotter room is in serious trouble. Network is being taken down any sec, we'll lose internet, email, and they'r going to shut the power to the building down for a while. Taking the stairs up 7 flights nearly killed me.
Se eyou all later sometime today!:)

Neda, stay with me!

#81893 Mar 7, 2013
I just remembered, last night I dreamed that is snowed here.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Freezing? Heh. It was 9 degrees when I left home this morning, but we'll peak at 34 today!!

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81894 Mar 7, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
I feel helpless. The people I love most are in so much pain and there is so little I can do to comfort them. Ry kept drawing pictures of broken hearts last night. I told him that drawing pictures or writing stories are good things to do.
My husband can't sleep. His father lost consciousness 5 minutes before he got to the hospital and never regained it. He feels like he was asked to make the decision about whether or not to take drastic measures to save his father's life, though there was no real decision to make because his body was failing and if a machine could keep him alive it would not be for very long.
Today, we will just be thankful for supportive family and friends.
Poor Ry :(. Hugs to you all.

I hope your husband is able to find peace soon. I'm sure he did the right thing.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81895 Mar 7, 2013
angela wrote:
Sorry, Jess.:(
i remember when my grandpa died, it was all about me (I was 12, first loss of my life). I didn't get why my mom was so upset though. She's a grownup (she was 32). Shouldn't she have a better grip on things?
Sorryfor being a clueless 12yo, mom.
I remember being about 7 and seeing my grandma cry at my great-grandfather's funeral. I was totally weirded out by that, thinking "Didn't she realize he was super old?" and then some time later realizing "Ohmygod, that's her DAD." And then I felt horrible.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81896 Mar 7, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't have open caskets at Jewish funerals. The family is allowed to say good bye privately before the casket is closed, if they want to. I never saw my grandparents in their caskets nor my one uncle who died.
The first open casket wake I attended was of a much older gentleman who had sort of professionally adopted me and ran professional interference for me when I was still in grad school. I reacted like Squishy even more because I had been to visit him in the hospital what turned out to be the day before he died.
My mom's side of the family is trending towards cremation with no open casket, and let me tell you, the difference is like night and day for me. Instead of being a shaking nervous wreck, I was able to, dare I say, enjoy the visitations of my mom, grandparents, and second cousin. There were pictures up, you just kind of milled around and talked to people. Took a lot of the weirdness out of it all.

Location hidden

#81897 Mar 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember being about 7 and seeing my grandma cry at my great-grandfather's funeral. I was totally weirded out by that, thinking "Didn't she realize he was super old?" and then some time later realizing "Ohmygod, that's her DAD." And then I felt horrible.
That was your grandma's cue to start hoarding!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81898 Mar 7, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That was your grandma's cue to start hoarding!
How do you flood 9 floord of a building in MN in March?

Location hidden

#81899 Mar 7, 2013
RACE wrote:
From what? Snow or water main?
<quoted text>
Heh. Water. It's the 3rd time in 5 years. There's something about that side of the building.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#81900 Mar 7, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Spring keeps promising it's on the way...several days of nice warm weather and blue skies, then BAM, rain, overcast, and cold again. I guess Winter enjoys playing practical jokes or else Spring is a big fat tease. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81901 Mar 7, 2013
RACE wrote:
It's FREEZING! Flippin 55 degrees, I have a space heater cranked up under my desk! Great sleeping weather, but no fun to work in.
<quoted text>
You see this is why it will never work. 55 is "shirt sleeve" weather to me. Hell at 65 I start thinking about breaking out the AC.

Miami, FL

#81902 Mar 7, 2013
Jess, we're here for you. {more hugs}

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81903 Mar 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
My mom's side of the family is trending towards cremation with no open casket, and let me tell you, the difference is like night and day for me. Instead of being a shaking nervous wreck, I was able to, dare I say, enjoy the visitations of my mom, grandparents, and second cousin. There were pictures up, you just kind of milled around and talked to people. Took a lot of the weirdness out of it all.
I avoid funerals when I can. If I can't, and there is an open casket, I just don't look.

When I was 7 my mother's great uncle (her grandmother's brother) died. She'd been raised by her mom, grandmother, and that uncle,(same house) so she was super close to him, he was the father figure (he father was in Iowa and she never saw him again after age 6 or so) and of course I'd know him all of my short life.

There was an open casket and they made me look, AND kiss him goodbye (forehead). WHO DOES THAT to a little kid? Gross, gross, gross. They never should have taken me in the first damn place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min SobieskiSavedEurope 1,155,433
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 min festivus infidel 68,906
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min IBdaMann 49,303
Ask Amy 12-23 34 min Mister Tonka 14
Chicago Pizza Blows 56 min Donald Trump 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques Ottawa 182,017
20-year-old dies after fall from window in Chicago 3 hr reality is a crutch 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:21 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:21AM
Fantasy Football 2015 Awards
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
What Can Bears Do to Get Back into Playoff Hunt?
NBC Sports11:49 AM
Reggie Wayne needs offseason triceps surgery
NBC Sports 1:29 PM
Colts say they will be all business despite nothing to gain - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:40 PM
Cutler realizes Bears could be in for changes - NBC Sports