Topix Chitown Regulars

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#81835 Mar 6, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We've tried to persuade Lulu to get her ears pierced for that very reason, but she's not interested.
Now I had short hair as a child, but it was not my choice but my punishment for not letting my mom wash my hair. I hated it and hated being called a boy. I don't think I've ever really forgiven her, even though as a mom I understand how she could justify doing it. Not enough to forgive her, though.
That was why my sister and I both had short hair--we didn't like our mom brushing it. I don't think it was ever past my shoulders until I was old enough to care for it myself. I was fine with it mostly. It wasn't like I didn't have fair warning. Even in high school and college when it was super long, my mom would ask to play around with my hair and I wouldn't let her.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#81836 Mar 6, 2013
They cant ask a question directly can they? I thought they could only ask that he answer (as in presenting a list of questions read by someone other than the jury)
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Juries actually have a LOT more leeway -- including overriding a judge -- than the Official Court SYstem would want people to believe. FIJA (Fully Informed Jury something or other) does a good job at informing people, but then they do weird shit that muddies the waters and makes them look bad.
But as a former jury researcher, I was 100% on board with informing jurors of their rights as jurors. Most judges and attorneys are against it and won't allow it.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81837 Mar 6, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! Dickie played that video for the girls and every once and awhile, I'll hear one of them singing "ain't nobody got time fo dat" over and over and over. It's really cute.
<quoted text>
Just pretend you're really cold and keep your hat on. Or you could go out and get some of our magic hair potion: club soda in a spray bottle. I don't know how it works, but my hair always looks better after using it.
Or, you could take a beauty and hair care hint from There's Something About Mary.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81838 Mar 6, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the ONLY girl? Think maybe they just hired you for office eye candy?
You need to do a better job of looking good for everyone, girl.
Yeah, I heard tell, they yell Hey Tilly, get me a cup of coffee, er, Java.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#81839 Mar 6, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
That was why my sister and I both had short hair--we didn't like our mom brushing it. I don't think it was ever past my shoulders until I was old enough to care for it myself. I was fine with it mostly. It wasn't like I didn't have fair warning. Even in high school and college when it was super long, my mom would ask to play around with my hair and I wouldn't let her.
My mom *says* she gave me fair warning, but I don't remember that at all.

She's always trying to get me to cut Nunu's hair, but Nunu wants it long, no matter how out of control it is at most times. So I let her keep it long <mimishrug>. I certainly don't want her to have the same feelings about me/my hair/my mother that I do!

I recently realized that Lulu has Beyonce hair and Nunu has Solange hair.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81840 Mar 6, 2013
Lunchtime and I need to get out of the office, I think. Can't decide if I want Indian or Mexican...

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81841 Mar 6, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Lunchtime and I need to get out of the office, I think. Can't decide if I want Indian or Mexican...
Indian!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#81842 Mar 6, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Indian!
Sure! I'm craving nachos and she'd rather have curry!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81843 Mar 6, 2013
RACE wrote:
They cant ask a question directly can they? I thought they could only ask that he answer (as in presenting a list of questions read by someone other than the jury)
<quoted text>
I think it depends very much on the judge and the jurisdiction. Judges have some leeway. But generally, questions were written down and went through the judge to make sure they were legitimate questions.

But there was other stuff FIJA was about, like telling jurors they have the legal right to use a different sentence than what was outlined by the judge, etc. It varies so much from state to state, but generally, I got the sense that judges like to keep a tight control on their courtrooms, and letting jurors act all rogue makes 'em nervous.

Location hidden

#81844 Mar 6, 2013
I remember reading that in many native american cultures, a "Jury of one's peers" Meant true peers: COusins, neighbors, people who grew up with you. Because who better than they know the kind of person you are, the temper you may have, the fights you get into?

Evanston IL

#81845 Mar 6, 2013
Well Matilda, I hope you enjoy your lunch, whatever you decide.

I, on the other hand, will not. I got some thai (fried rice) and nowhere on the ingredients list is bean sprouts, but yet my lunch is full of them.

I can't stand bean spouts!!! They look like something a Klingon would eat.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

#81846 Mar 6, 2013
What is going on wiht all the health issues around here lateley!?!?!?!?! Let's all have a group hug and cry and support each ohter and move on to the victories in life!

<says teh one carrying religious medals aorund with her for inspiration lately>

Jess, hugs to you... you've really had a rough go of things with your family over the last couple of years! You've been a support to the rest of us, so i hope we can be a support to you as well...

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81847 Mar 6, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Well Matilda, I hope you enjoy your lunch, whatever you decide.

I, on the other hand, will not. I got some thai (fried rice) and nowhere on the ingredients list is bean sprouts, but yet my lunch is full of them.

I can't stand bean spouts!!! They look like something a Klingon would eat.
Oh, Thai food! I am now craving Pad See Ew, though I will not be able to get any today.

I want to take the boys to dinner tonight, even though we're trying to save money because of the furloughs coming up. I just want to make sure that if my husband calls and says "come see Dziadzia right now" we can get over there right away.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just make Mickey Mouse pancakes or something for dinner :)

Location hidden

#81848 Mar 6, 2013
Lunch was homemade mac n cheese, very good stuff. With a pudding cup. I'm currently pissing off my boss by skipping an "ergonomis" seminar, but hey, I never respoded with an "i'll attend."

Evanston IL

#81849 Mar 6, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Thai food! I am now craving Pad See Ew, though I will not be able to get any today.
I want to take the boys to dinner tonight, even though we're trying to save money because of the furloughs coming up. I just want to make sure that if my husband calls and says "come see Dziadzia right now" we can get over there right away.
Hmmm, maybe I'll just make Mickey Mouse pancakes or something for dinner :)
I should have gotten that. No bean sprouts!

I wish I could do pancakes for dinner. Lulu doesn't really like them, so it doesn't make sense. I'd just have to cook something else for her little picky butt.
:D

“reign in blood”

United States

#81850 Mar 6, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Lunch was homemade mac n cheese, very good stuff. With a pudding cup. I'm currently pissing off my boss by skipping an "ergonomis" seminar, but hey, I never respoded with an "i'll attend."
Fine. If you move wrong and hurt something you'll only have yourself to blame.

“reign in blood”

United States

#81851 Mar 6, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
What is going on wiht all the health issues around here lateley!?!?!?!?!
I'm thinking it's gotta be some type of liberal conspiracy. Keep people panicked and dependent on others and that would further the liberals' agenda.

Think about it....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81852 Mar 6, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it depends very much on the judge and the jurisdiction. Judges have some leeway. But generally, questions were written down and went through the judge to make sure they were legitimate questions.
But there was other stuff FIJA was about, like telling jurors they have the legal right to use a different sentence than what was outlined by the judge, etc. It varies so much from state to state, but generally, I got the sense that judges like to keep a tight control on their courtrooms, and letting jurors act all rogue makes 'em nervous.
Which state allows the jury to set the sentence? I thought that was teh judge's job.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81853 Mar 6, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
If you are wearing wrist braces around the office or if you taledk at all about your hand problems and what teh doctor said, your boss is ticked because the ergonomics seminar is probably aimed at you.

“reign in blood”

United States

#81854 Mar 6, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Which state allows the jury to set the sentence? I thought that was teh judge's job.
Illinois, for one. I thought that was common practice?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sasitorn boonsin 43 min donna 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr red and right 1,263,781
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Dr Guru 194,596
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr IBdaMann 54,322
News Hogar Crea, regional drug rehab group, ripping ... (Apr '08) 8 hr Sergant of order 161
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 hr Gas Woman 70,145
News Fatal heat wave 20 years ago changed Chicago's ... 12 hr OLD need 2 die 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages