Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Hawks just won in a shoot out, which is even better 'cause I hate Detroit. Sa-weet.

The streak continues...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget ( or perhaps remember to remember ) that he also put in wage and price freezes and controls... Da*m conservatives.
(I was there. I remember)
Well I was just a little kid (I love being able to say that) but I remember it happening.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Morning all,
I have finally eaten my first "scone" I remember you guys talking about them alot, never knew what the heck they were. Well my neighbor just brought me over a couple (lemon/rosemary)
So a scone is basically a glazed biscuit, kinda disappointing.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

So all you peeps with tablets!
Whats the deal with them, what should I look for, how do they connect to the inet, is the 150 tablet as good as the 300 tablet.

Basics
Inet
ability for usb or CF type card
How do I set up my phone to be a hotspot for it?
Do they have hard drives?

Thanks in advance
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Not wise ( assuming your are talking about me), its that we have mileage and intact memories.(Do you really have a 50 year old son?- you sound younger than that)
I am talking about you. I think the mileage and intact memories do make us wise. At the very least loads of common sense. Doesn't apply to everyone older, of course.

I've had an out of the ordinary life style that warped my mind. Wish the body felt that young.I can still be a cranky old broad. And revel in it.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RACE wrote:
Whats the deal with them, what should I look for, how do they connect to the inet, is the 150 tablet as good as the 300 tablet.
Basics
Inet
Thanks in advance
Inet is same as a smartphone. When I got my Galaxy III last summer, Verizon ws telling me all the things I could have on my Inet account and tablets were on the list.

End of expertise.

When I was shopping for my new desktop last month, our office IT manager told me to look at Cnet.com for good reliable information. I , being a non-techy, also relied heavily on teh ratings and analyses in Consumer Reports.These days it seems like tablets and laptop and smartphones predominate in that magazine.

End of resources

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I am talking about you. I think the mileage and intact memories do make us wise. At the very least loads of common sense. Doesn't apply to everyone older, of course.
I've had an out of the ordinary life style that warped my mind. Wish the body felt that young.I can still be a cranky old broad. And revel in it.
I wish you had been around when Andie J was here. You are almost two of a kind.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Ha,
My neighbor went out and "Warmed" up her car this morning was like 45. bitter cold!
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RACE wrote:
Basics
Inet
Thanks in advance
Research:
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tablets/

I have a cheapie off brand one and even that has a card slot.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I wish you had been around when Andie J was here. You are almost two of a kind.
I was reading then but not posting. I remember that I enjoyed her. Such a loss.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Basics
Inet
Thanks in advance
Is a $150 one goodas a $300 one? Is a Toyota Corolla as good as a Lexus? No. But depending on what you are going to use it for, it might do the job just as well. It just won't be as fast or have the same amount of bells and whistles.

Inet - you either have to buy one with a monthly data plan thru a cell provider or you have to have a wifi router set up at home so you can use your wirelessly connect to your home internet connection thatyou are already paying for. Phone companies are starting to offer the ability to pay something like $10 extra a month if you wantto add a tablet to your existing cell phone data plan.

USB - they will all plug into your computer if you wantto transfer files. Few if any have a USB port for you plug a USB ddrive into. Some have a memory card slot, some don't.

Phone hotspot - depends on the carrier - ATT branded phones have disabled the menu option to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot(but they have not disabled the functionality, so you can use other programs to turn it on). My co-worker has another carrier, and they have disabled the funtionality altogether. They want you to pay the extra monthly fee to be able to use that functionality.

Hard drive - no. A hard drive has an actual spinning disk in it. They do not have hard drives, but they do have flash memory which serves the same purpose. So a low end one will have 8 or 16 GB, a higher end will have 32 or 64 gb.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Thanks!
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Research:
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tablets/
I have a cheapie off brand one and even that has a card slot.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RACE wrote:
Morning all,

So a scone is basically a glazed biscuit, kinda disappointing.
Right? I don't buy them too often. I do like them (certain ones) with some butter though. Some people use clotted cream (confession: I don't know what clotted cream is) or honey, or jam, or even cream cheese. <shrug> Try a cranberry/orange one...my favorite.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Thanks Tonka,
I will need to get some hands on time at best buy or walmart. Not really sure what I would use it for other than jacking into Topix after I lock up the laptop.
Can you stream from netflix with a slower cpu? What would be a min cpu speed (in your view).
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Is a $150 one goodas a $300 one? Is a Toyota Corolla as good as a Lexus? No. But depending on what you are going to use it for, it might do the job just as well. It just won't be as fast or have the same amount of bells and whistles.
Inet - you either have to buy one with a monthly data plan thru a cell provider or you have to have a wifi router set up at home so you can use your wirelessly connect to your home internet connection thatyou are already paying for. Phone companies are starting to offer the ability to pay something like $10 extra a month if you wantto add a tablet to your existing cell phone data plan.
USB - they will all plug into your computer if you wantto transfer files. Few if any have a USB port for you plug a USB ddrive into. Some have a memory card slot, some don't.
Phone hotspot - depends on the carrier - ATT branded phones have disabled the menu option to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot(but they have not disabled the functionality, so you can use other programs to turn it on). My co-worker has another carrier, and they have disabled the funtionality altogether. They want you to pay the extra monthly fee to be able to use that functionality.
Hard drive - no. A hard drive has an actual spinning disk in it. They do not have hard drives, but they do have flash memory which serves the same purpose. So a low end one will have 8 or 16 GB, a higher end will have 32 or 64 gb.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RACE wrote:
Thanks!
<quoted text>
Just get the Galaxy tablet. It's the best one out there. I would have kept the one I had, but I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. Expensive toy. <shrug> Also, they are Android so you don't have the whole "Apple owns you" thing going on. Unless you're one of those Apple fanatics, if so I apologize (she says as she puts the mac book air into her shopping cart).

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Thanks Tonka,
I will need to get some hands on time at best buy or walmart. Not really sure what I would use it for other than jacking into Topix after I lock up the laptop.
Can you stream from netflix with a slower cpu? What would be a min cpu speed (in your view).
<quoted text>
I don't have netflix, but my tablet is a year and a half old and no longer in production. I have no problem with youtube. I imagine most mid-range and probably low end ones sold today would do just fine.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
It's illegal to drive drunk afterglow and police would just be doing their job,...
I just had to laugh at this.

Clearly Sub is trying to say after all, but his autofill filled in afterglow.

What are you usually typing, Sub, that this is what it picks?
:D

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

RACE wrote:
Thanks Tonka,

<quoted text>
FWIW I can stream Netflix on my phone. I *think* that would be a "slower CPU?"

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I send poetry to Bambi, lol.
In the afterglow of the morning mist.
I long to hold you in a sweet embrace.
Fear not my love and do not be pis$ed
I jizzed all over some other girls face.
Stuff like that.
ROFLMAO
:p
Yeah, that's what I thought.
:D

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 80,581 - 80,600 of96,013
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

46 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 min litesong 42,934
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 20 min No Surprize 1,033,715
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min loose cannon 167,402
Who Dodged the SHOE Better? 50 min ThomasA 15
snapchat gay names 1 hr stoner-stud 4
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 64,970
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr _Zoey_ 4,022
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance