Topix Chitown Regulars

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#81717 Mar 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
My grandma has stomach cancer.:(:(:(.
She doesn't want to treat it. I don't blame her. It's just sad...
Oh, man, I'm so sorry. I don't blame her either.

I went to the eye doctor yesterday for my final Lasik follow up, and the room was FULL of people age 70+. It made me miss all my grandparents so much, I actually teared up.

We are lucky people, those of us who got to enjoy them in to our adulthoods.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81718 Mar 5, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's rough - both the pregnancy and the restricted diet. Pregnancy would not have prevented her from drinking a cup of coffee in the morning, though the smell does get to many pregnant women.
It was probably a little more overwhelming for her at the end of the trip because she had such a fun adult only weekend and she now had to go back to reality.
How is her husband handling the news?
He's apparently not freaking out on the level she is. He was busy crunching numbers "We can afford it!" and all this and she's like "It's not really about the money..." But considering he was fine with just the first two, and she had to argue for the third, I'm sure he's not doing backflips or anything.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81719 Mar 5, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Slight ddeflection. The diet is similar to the one I have been on since the first of the year. It is not that hard and not that ascetic.
Back on point- unexpected pregnancies are rough. I hope teh existing kids don't get wind of it-they will make teh future sibling's life very unhappy with a couple ill placed comments.Grownups can be trusted to at least call it an oops baby
I'm thinking of trying the diet. It'd basically be what I had been doing periodically but cutting out dairy. I was totally "the fat friend" this weekend. Not that I'm ginormous, but all three of my friends are beanpoles. And at least 6 inches taller than me, which doesn't help. I could stand to drop 20.

She's going to wait until she can compose herself reasonably before telling the kids--she doesn't want them to think that's how they reacted before they were born. I know she'll embrace it, it's just going to take time.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#81720 Mar 5, 2013
Where's Ang?

Miami, FL

#81721 Mar 5, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, man, I'm so sorry. I don't blame her either.
I went to the eye doctor yesterday for my final Lasik follow up, and the room was FULL of people age 70+. It made me miss all my grandparents so much, I actually teared up.
We are lucky people, those of us who got to enjoy them in to our adulthoods.
I have moments like this too, where I miss my grandmother so much I tear up. She lived with us for almost all of my childhood so we were really close.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81722 Mar 5, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
oh, sub.... so sorry to hear that! i missed some of your story about it over the weekend, but i know that you are fond of her... having just walked down a path like this, let me know if there is anything i can do to help or insights to share.
i missed it, where does she live?
`
and yes, i just gacked a little, myself, at how i phrased taht, but, hey, it works.
Thanks, AS. She lives up in IL not too far from my folks.

Location hidden

#81723 Mar 5, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
(((Sub)))
That sucks and I know that being far away makes it even harder :( Are you planning a trip to see her anytime soon?
I will talk to Bambi tonight. I will have to go see her one more time. It is hard because Bambi works Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights and has class on Monday and Wednesday mornings. I may only be able to fly up on a Saturday and fly home on a Sunday. Her mom is coming out here at the end of the month, but I'm not sure I have that long.

I guess there is the possibility they could do some sort of surgery on her, but she doesn't want chemo or radiation. Right now we don't know if surgery is an option.

Location hidden

#81724 Mar 5, 2013
Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.

On top of all that one of my favorite uncles (who is married to my grandma's daughter) has had about 6 strokes going back to the fall. I've spent many nights with him and my aunt at the tables in Vegas drinking until the early morning. The stories they had to tell...

Now my aunt has to deal with her mother dying too.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81725 Mar 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.
On top of all that one of my favorite uncles (who is married to my grandma's daughter) has had about 6 strokes going back to the fall. I've spent many nights with him and my aunt at the tables in Vegas drinking until the early morning. The stories they had to tell...
Now my aunt has to deal with her mother dying too.
So sorry to hear all of this Sub. Pretty much all the corny stuff everyone else said. Here, I'm gonna hug you now...((())) just don't get too used to it.

Miami, FL

#81726 Mar 5, 2013
Just looked through a FB friend's pictures of her trip to Italy... I'm jealous. At least I have Vegas in two weeks!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#81727 Mar 5, 2013
Hey, chicago, you gonna get blizzarded again?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81728 Mar 5, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
My grandma has stomach cancer.:(:(:(.
She doesn't want to treat it. I don't blame her. It's just sad...
I am sorry to hear that. Is your family supporting her decision?

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#81729 Mar 5, 2013
RACE wrote:
Jealous?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81730 Mar 5, 2013
Sub, Sorry about your grandma and the illnesses within your family.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81731 Mar 5, 2013
About the snow -- can the idiots on the news be any more hyped up? I mean, this IS Chicago. It certainly is not unusualy to get snow during the winter.

That said,I hope they're wrong and we get like 2-3 feet of snow. I've got plenty of food at home and can use a day off. Just let me get home tonight, first.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#81732 Mar 5, 2013
Not even a little bit.
Will you get out of work early? yanno, so you can freeze your but off cleaning your car, maybe get some slush inside your shoes....
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Jealous?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81733 Mar 5, 2013
RACE wrote:
Ours is melting as soon as it hits the ground. Sorta pretty, though.

Location hidden

#81734 Mar 5, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I am sorry to hear that. Is your family supporting her decision?
Yes, we all understand and support her. She's almost 93 and the chemo or radiation will likely kill her before it cures her.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Chicago, IL

#81735 Mar 5, 2013
Toj wrote:
About the snow -- can the idiots on the news be any more hyped up? I mean, this IS Chicago. It certainly is not unusualy to get snow during the winter.
That said,I hope they're wrong and we get like 2-3 feet of snow. I've got plenty of food at home and can use a day off. Just let me get home tonight, first.
Working from home today. Fire going, snow falling, nice music in the background, and enjoying that I will have no part of the evening commute. Quite a nice day, apart from actually having to get some work done.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81736 Mar 5, 2013
It feels like Friday. I'm a little disappointed every time I realize that it is only Tuesday (it IS Tuesday, right?).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Coded Language 1,278,162
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 15 min District 1 197,080
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Into The Night 54,596
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr 40ish 6,443
News Should prostitution be less illegal-or more? 2 hr beastman 2
abby9-3-15 5 hr Kuuipo 9
abby9-2-15 5 hr boundary painter 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages