“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#81644 Mar 3, 2013
Warning: Sublime length post ahead...

Some cops have serious superiority attitudes, others, most I think, are just people doing their job.

I've only ever had two tickets both of which were justified, even though unnecessary. The first, I was driving through King City, California, flat highway, no traffic, sunny day, great road conditions. I was going 75 but it was still during the federal 55 MPH limit days.

Yep he got me, my bad. After they lifted the 55 MPH thing, that particular stretch of highway is now 75 MPH, so I was driving safely, it's just that there was that stupid 55 MPH thing going on. <shrug>

The second time, it was Christmas Eve, 1990 (I think) I was waiting to get into the left turn lane. TONS of traffic. I am not the only one who crossed the double yellow line JUST A TINY BIT to get into the turn lane (with no oncoming traffic...really it was safe to do) but *I* am the one he ticketed. I wasn't happy, but it was legitimate.

When my house was broken into they were all very nice and helpful. When Chris died the one cop that I was dealing with was a tool, the other cop at the hospital said (VERY brusquely) "well he's still alive" with no compassion at all, like he was just writing a report instead of talking to a grieving mother.

Another time, Chris, his dad and I had been to the fair. His dad got really drunk and we had a fight after we got home. Yes, I know, don't fight with a drunk...anyway, someone called the cops. By the time they got there it was all over and everything was good. "Fight" means "argument," not anything physical.

Anyway, this one cop got all in *my* face, even though I was being very cooperative. He was definitely in the wrong with his attitude. Finally I said "you know they give you a badge, a gun, and a little stick to play with and you think you can do anything you want to do." He said "I can and I think I am going to arrest you for public drunkenness (we were on the front porch)." I sooooo wanted him to (I was younger and more feisty) because I hadn't had a drink in like 5 years.

Another time we'd bought a car and needed to take it for emissions before we could get tabs (registration) so we bought a trip permit to get to the emissions place. Stupid car (I told him NOT to buy it) broke down on the side of the highway. A cop stopped to check on us and I told her we were waiting on AAA and offered to show her the trip permit, she said "it's cool, just making sure you were safe."

Once I got stopped for a brake light not working. I knew about it, I just hadn't gotten it fixed. The reason I didn't even get a fix it ticket, and the cop was *very* nice to me, I am certain is because the car was a Jag and I was in that particular part of town.

If I'd been driving a broken down Toyota or Chevy, it would have been different. If I'd been in a sketchy part of town he might have though I was some rich (as if) bit** slumming it to score a bag of something. It was just the right car in the right part of town with the right cop on duty so all he did was tell me to get it fixed asap. <shrug>

So I think it depends a lot on the particular cop, the day they are having, the people they are dealing with, the alignment of the stars on any given day....and a bunch of other stuff. I think overall most cops are just doing a job that I know *I* wouldn't want the best that they can. Most of them.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81645 Mar 3, 2013
Sorry about the multiple posting guys...

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#81647 Mar 3, 2013
re teh autobahn, hte whole, national system is called the autobahn, kinda like we have hte interstate system here. there are straight streches of road and curvy ones, some in flat land, some in the mountains. there are rules about it, and there are speed limits in sections and for some types of vehicles. if you get caught over the limit, i think they throw hte book at you. but, in general, german society is rather structured, so it works ok for them. one of the finable offenses is running out of fuel...

in hte more urban areas, like from the airport to teh city, there are speed limits, and they're reasonable. there is a spot between the munich airport and hte city that has no speed limit, but there are in the city area.

my brohter wants to rent a corvette or something like that and take it out into the country and let it rip before they move back here... why a corvette, i really don't know....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81648 Mar 3, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Traffic tickets are all about generating revenue using "public safety" as a guise.
Are red light cameras about money or safety? Backseat seat-belt laws, money or safety?
Now there's a push in Illinois to ban talking on a phone while driving. Really? Will it also soon be illegal to talk to your passenger? Eat while you're driving? Change the radio station while driving?
This is getting out of hand. How many rights and freedoms are we willing to give up in the name of "public safety?"
Remember, speed limits were introduced to help ease the gas shortages back in the 70s. With today's fuel economy vehicles and advanced safety features, 55, even 65 mph speed limits are ridiculous. Not to mention that ALL seat-belt laws are a violation of an an individuals rights.
Now we're putting drones in the air to spy on private citizens.
Police state. Police state. The revolution is coming....
Red light cameras are about money. I read something a while back that said they are actually more dangerous because people are aware of them and will do stuff like stopping short at a yellow light where before they would have just gone through it instead of stopping suddenly which could cause a rear-end accident because the car behind them is unprepared, etc. There were other examples, but that's the only one I really remember. This was a couple years ago and I can't remember what the website was, but I'm sure it can be googled.

There is already a no-takling/texting law in WA. As many clueless peple as I see talking while they are supposed to be driving...I support it. It's a secondary offense, so they can't pull you over JUST for that, but they can always find something and even though that's kinda underhanded, I support it.

Some places it *is* illegal to eat while driving. j/s

Seatbelts, by and large, are better than no seatbelts. My niece however was in a major accident when she was 18. The reason she lived through it was that she was NOT wearing a seatbelt and was thrown clear. Massive injuries, and her foot will never be "right" but she lived. Her daughter was strapped in a car seat hanging upside down (car flipped) and is a smart ass 17 year old today. If they'd been wearing seatbelts Shawna and the other passengers would have been decapitated, apparently. so there's that. <shrug>

I always thought the 55 MPH thing was stupid. Even 60 would have been less burdensome and still saved fuel. Ahhh Nixon. Damn conservatives. ;-)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81649 Mar 3, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>

I always thought the 55 MPH thing was stupid. Even 60 would have been less burdensome and still saved fuel. Ahhh Nixon. Damn conservatives. ;-)
Don't forget ( or perhaps remember to remember ) that he also put in wage and price freezes and controls... Da*m conservatives.

(I was there. I remember)

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#81650 Mar 3, 2013
I fully support no texting while driving.

But I CANNOT support no talking while driving.

...unless I'm riding with a woman...

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#81651 Mar 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
You must not have been reading the papers- Instead of fixing the pension crisis, Springfield actually did have a bill a year or so ago to ban eating , drinking coffee etc as part of the Distracted Driving statutes.
I read everything. There was a push by the party YOU support to ban drive-thrus for this reason.

I'll support a law that requires our Mindless Leaders to fix the budget problem FIRST before making any anymore right-violating laws.

But as long as you keep voting for the same people, don't expect anything to change.. or get better.

At least it's not illegal to be illegal anymore.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#81653 Mar 3, 2013
You know, I know the police are a necessary evil, but I am the last person who needs a schooling on seat belt use.
It was well worth 60 bucks just to tell that cop to his face that I would see him in court, And he had no right to tell me to shut up in response to my glee.
I've had a lot of dealings with the police. Mostly in the ER when they come in with their curly tails between their legs accompanied by peole who are under arrest.
That is the one place that I find where they are extremely well behaved. I think it's because they are out of their element and have absolutely no authority or control in those places.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#81654 Mar 3, 2013
I thought the cop telling me to shut up was inappropriate, confrontational, beyond rude, unprofessional, hostile, condescending and immature.
Carol Stream PD has a bad reputation that preceeds itself. I just may write a scathing letter to the chief expressing my dismay.

Location hidden

#81655 Mar 3, 2013
Officer Irony wrote:
<quoted text>OK, sir, the reason I pulled you over is you complained that cops give preferential treatment to other cops. Ok, but, the problem is you did this in a No Hypocrisy Zone. I've got you on record as boasting that, as a lawyer, you get preferential treatment concerning tickets from the DA. That's extremely hypocritical of you. Please try and pay attention and have a nice day, sir.
I received no preferential treatment.

The DA's meet with attorney's first because they are typically on the clock and if they did not do so clients would be paying for an attorney to sit on their a$s in court for two hours or however long until it their clients name was called in alphabetical order.

Therefore it is a court rule that attorneys go first, and there is good reason for this.

For this same reason, the DA and defense attorneys often try to negotiate settlements before court.

In contrast, there's no compelling reason for cops to give other cops a free pass when it comes to violations of the law.

Just because you aren't intelligent to think critically about the issue and figure out why courts have these rules, doesn't make me a hypocrite.

West Palm Beach, FL

#81656 Mar 3, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
You know, I know the police are a necessary evil, but I am the last person who needs a schooling on seat belt use.
It was well worth 60 bucks just to tell that cop to his face that I would see him in court, And he had no right to tell me to shut up in response to my glee.
I've had a lot of dealings with the police. Mostly in the ER when they come in with their curly tails between their legs accompanied by peole who are under arrest.
That is the one place that I find where they are extremely well behaved. I think it's because they are out of their element and have absolutely no authority or control in those places.
Necessary evil? May you never need the police for the reasons Mimi has needed the police.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#81657 Mar 3, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I received no preferential treatment.
The DA's meet with attorney's first because they are typically on the clock and if they did not do so clients would be paying for an attorney to sit on their a$s in court for two hours or however long until it their clients name was called in alphabetical order.
Therefore it is a court rule that attorneys go first, and there is good reason for this.
For this same reason, the DA and defense attorneys often try to negotiate settlements before court.
In contrast, there's no compelling reason for cops to give other cops a free pass when it comes to violations of the law.
Just because you aren't intelligent to think critically about the issue and figure out why courts have these rules, doesn't make me a hypocrite.
I have no problem with the attorneys first rule (I benefited from that a long time ago in shady circumstances),and agree about the cops giving a free pass to other cops. My afore-mentioned CPD ex-mr. wonderful told me he will never try to stop two speeding cars in a row cause one is sure to be another cop. I guess growing up in a town that was known for the outfit making the rules and also being in Chicago past and present I've gotten more insensitive to a lot of minor indiscretions. And I mean minor.

However, saying that there should be cops at every bar to catch the DUI's is ridiculous on it's own, let alone from someone who keeps crabbing about paying more taxes.

Maybe there should be a campaign started wherein we could allocate our tax dollars only to where we want them to go.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#81658 Mar 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget ( or perhaps remember to remember ) that he also put in wage and price freezes and controls... Da*m conservatives.
So do I, and beyond. We survived, there will always be changes. Bad and good. Way back when stores all would have to sell products at a set price by the manufacturers. That was before my purchasing days. I think it was called Fair Trade Act. And there are others that would be unheard of today.

There will always be something that pizzes of someone, but I think the sense of self-entitlement and the "all about me" factor is much more prevalent then years ago.

It's not easy to be one of the two wise ones here.

Location hidden

#81659 Mar 3, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>I have no problem with the attorneys first rule (I benefited from that a long time ago in shady circumstances),and agree about the cops giving a free pass to other cops. My afore-mentioned CPD ex-mr. wonderful told me he will never try to stop two speeding cars in a row cause one is sure to be another cop. I guess growing up in a town that was known for the outfit making the rules and also being in Chicago past and present I've gotten more insensitive to a lot of minor indiscretions. And I mean minor.

However, saying that there should be cops at every bar to catch the DUI's is ridiculous on it's own, let alone from someone who keeps crabbing about paying more taxes.

Maybe there should be a campaign started wherein we could allocate our tax dollars only to where we want them to go.
I never said there should be cops at every bar. I said:

"It's known that most folks leaving bars are drunk and if they focused on that half as much as they focus on pulling over folks speeding, we'd have a lot less drunk driving fatalities."

The point being, if safety were the primary concern they would focus far more in that type of driver verses someone doing 10mph over the speed limit. Speed traps are where the $$ is at and that is their primary concern ... It's just cloaked in safety.

on another nite, what a Blackhawks game! Holy schmoely!!!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81660 Mar 3, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
So do I, and beyond. We survived, there will always be changes. Bad and good. Way back when stores all would have to sell products at a set price by the manufacturers. That was before my purchasing days. I think it was called Fair Trade Act. And there are others that would be unheard of today.
There will always be something that pizzes of someone, but I think the sense of self-entitlement and the "all about me" factor is much more prevalent then years ago.
It's not easy to be one of the two wise ones here.
Not wise ( assuming your are talking about me), its that we have mileage and intact memories.(Do you really have a 50 year old son?- you sound younger than that)

Location hidden

#81661 Mar 3, 2013
Hawks just won in a shoot out, which is even better 'cause I hate Detroit. Sa-weet.

The streak continues...

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81662 Mar 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I was just a little kid (I love being able to say that) but I remember it happening.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#81663 Mar 4, 2013
Morning all,
I have finally eaten my first "scone" I remember you guys talking about them alot, never knew what the heck they were. Well my neighbor just brought me over a couple (lemon/rosemary)
So a scone is basically a glazed biscuit, kinda disappointing.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#81664 Mar 4, 2013

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#81665 Mar 4, 2013
So all you peeps with tablets!
Whats the deal with them, what should I look for, how do they connect to the inet, is the 150 tablet as good as the 300 tablet.

Basics
Inet
ability for usb or CF type card
How do I set up my phone to be a hotspot for it?
Do they have hard drives?

Thanks in advance

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min mdbuilder 1,109,370
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 18 min D-U-H 49,807
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 38 min gcaveman1 46,596
Amy 9-16 1 hr pde 28
A short math question. I will reply with answer... 1 hr Bye Bye I Quit 4
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Eric 69,368
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr NevadaBob 1,922
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr LRS 177,980
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••