Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

I love it even more when a cop on duty speeds, and violates the law, just so he can get on your a$s and check your plates, when you've done nothing wrong to warrant such scrutiny.

If you think cops are your friend, you are wrong. As a group they constantly fight to weaken 4th amendment protections including accessing electronic data without warrants ... using GPS tracking devices without warrants. They do all they can to trample the constitution.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>So you think that all traffic tickets are strictly for revenue and not safety? Or just your minor miles over and the seatbelt ticket were. I think both were ridiculous. If someone was flying down the freeway at 90mph and got a ticket, that was just for revenue? Not for the protection of you and your family in the next lane?

Re your grandma, you got me teary-eyed. I too had a saint of a polish granny. It's been 40 years since she passed and I still get sad, especially when I see little, old ladies like her. I wasn't lucky enough to have her around as long as you do, but I did give her her first great-grandchild. My best wishes for her recovery.

I don't often agree with you but I will have to at least respect your intelligence now that I know you have polish blood.
In Chicago, its pretty much the norm for folks to drive 75-80 on the interstate. People do it everyday, quite safely. Yet what's the speed limit ... 55 mpg. Do you really think you need to drive at or under 55 mpg to be safe on the interstate in Chicago? No, you don't. Which goes to show you the speed limit isn't about safety ...

It's arbitrary at best in most instances.(Certain things like school zones, sure, but most situations a 10 mph speeding ticket doesn't mean you were unsafe).

Sure if taken to the extreme it is, but the extremes can be handled with reckless driving laws. F' I think it's more dangerous to drive at 55 mph than to do say 70 mpg and keep up with traffic in Chicago on the interstate. I don't drive at 55 mph when there.

Also whether someone else in another car wears a seat belt has no bearing in my safety. I couldn't give a f' whether they do or don't.

Thanks for the kind words. Her mom, my great-grandma, was referred to us by the name busia, before she passed.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a great deal of respect for what are essentially tax collectors. If they are fighting real crime and not glorified meter maids, of course.

Writing folks tickets for going 10 mph (especially when they speed themselves and get let off 99% of the time should they get pulled over by mentioning they are cops) and not wearing seat belts is not real crime.

It pis$es me off even more when they say have a nice day or drive safe after they write you a ticket ... as if they did anything to contribute to you having a nice day or as if it's really about your safety.
If you don't like the laws, take it up with the legislators.

If the only time you encounter law enforcement officers is when you get a ticket for failure to comply with a law (stupid as you think the law is), then consider yourself very lucky. You may not like when they try to be polite or civil during your interactions, but you would be much more upset if they were condescending or rude.

LEOs do so much more than write seat belt tickets. I am not saying that every officer is perfect, but each person they pull over could be the person who is going to pull a gun on them or run them over with their car. Each call they go on could be their last. They see the worst that humans can do to each other - the abuse people inflict on innocent children, the hate toward their neighbors, the harm that they do to themselves due to chemical abuse or mental illness. They have to be alert during their whole shift, then go home and compartmentalize so they can try to lead a healthy home life.

You may have a stressful job, but there is not a better than average chance that you will be placing yourself in harm's way everyday, while people treat you like garbage or see you as a target just because of your uniform. If you or your family needed help, you would probably call the police, right? So, maybe you should show them a little more respect, too.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Here dahgts, read this and tell me it's all about safety:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/03/the-...

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>If you don't like the laws, take it up with the legislators.

If the only time you encounter law enforcement officers is when you get a ticket for failure to comply with a law (stupid as you think the law is), then consider yourself very lucky. You may not like when they try to be polite or civil during your interactions, but you would be much more upset if they were condescending or rude.

LEOs do so much more than write seat belt tickets. I am not saying that every officer is perfect, but each person they pull over could be the person who is going to pull a gun on them or run them over with their car. Each call they go on could be their last. They see the worst that humans can do to each other - the abuse people inflict on innocent children, the hate toward their neighbors, the harm that they do to themselves due to chemical abuse or mental illness. They have to be alert during their whole shift, then go home and compartmentalize so they can try to lead a healthy home life.

You may have a stressful job, but there is not a better than average chance that you will be placing yourself in harm's way everyday, while people treat you like garbage or see you as a target just because of your uniform. If you or your family needed help, you would probably call the police, right? So, maybe you should show them a little more respect, too.
If they weren't pulling people over when they aren't even driving unsafe they wouldn't have to worry about their safety during traffic stops. Despite what laws are police have a lot if discretion too, when it comes to who they pull over and issue tickets to. So it's not just the legislature.

Also, the helpful role police provide in society could be performed without the tax collector aspect they perform ... especially given that they are writing tickets in the vast majority of situations when there is nothing unsafe about the driving, as my article points out.

It's also a bit much to say they are all about my safety, when ticket writing goes up during financially difficult times and state and local is in need of revenue. Seems to me, it's far more about getting $$ from folks than keeping folks safe. It's a racket.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
Here dahgts, read this and tell me it's all about safety:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/03/the-...
I didn't say it was all about safety. Yes, the fines are exorbitant but that's not really a valid argument against tickets. You could be affected by someone else not wearing a seatbelt, or speeding. Worse injuries to another could cost you more in taxes or your medical insurance. This is one instance of a domino effect. I guess if the person dies that wouldn't affect you.

Hey, I like nothing more then going 70+ on I57 and I wish I could flash a sign in the back of my car that says "slower traffic stay right", but it's the idiots driving drunk, otherwise impaired, texting, cell use, etc. that can't handle all of the above while going 70+mph. They could all affect you while you're on the road.

Are you saying that ticketing is fine as long as the penalties weren't too high or that it should be a free for all on the road and no tickets? There have always been quotas, although long denied. I remember the good old days when I was young and cute and got out of several speeding tickets.

Your job depends on rules and regulations, doesn't it? And there are some potentially high costs for not following them ?

The cop that gave that seatbelt ticket was too zealous, if that's the word, another cop in the same scenario might not have.

My best friend's niece was killed by a kid speeding through a stop
sign on a rural road. She was a good and productive person. If he would have been stopped before that I really don't care if his fine was 5 bucks or a thousand.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>If they weren't pulling people over when they aren't even driving unsafe they wouldn't have to worry about their safety during traffic stops. Despite what laws are police have a lot if discretion too, when it comes to who they pull over and issue tickets to. So it's not just the legislature.

Also, the helpful role police provide in society could be performed without the tax collector aspect they perform ... especially given that they are writing tickets in the vast majority of situations when there is nothing unsafe about the driving, as my article points out.

It's also a bit much to say they are all about my safety, when ticket writing goes up during financially difficult times and state and local is in need of revenue. Seems to me, it's far more about getting $$ from folks than keeping folks safe. It's a racket.
Their job is to enforce the law, hence the name Law Enforcement Officers. The politicians create the laws, supposedly as our representatives. Remember, the lowering of the national speed limit in 1974 was part of the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act.

The police have some discretion when it comes to writing tickets vs. giving warnings, but they do not create the laws. Checks and balances, you know?
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You still didn't answer the question clearly. Stop pouting and show a little respect for the men and women who put themselves in harm's way every day to keep us safe and enforce the laws. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege.
Right, years ago, an ex SO, a CPD cop who did nothing but traffic, just sat on a city street waiting for speeders, told me how dangerous his job was. I smirked and said yeah, right. A few weeks after that two cops were killed during a traffic stop.

dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Sub, this should give you a lot to rant about.:)

http://news.yahoo.com/ark-police-photograph-l...

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say it was all about safety. Yes, the fines are exorbitant but that's not really a valid argument against tickets. You could be affected by someone else not wearing a seatbelt, or speeding. Worse injuries to another could cost you more in taxes or your medical insurance. This is one instance of a domino effect. I guess if the person dies that wouldn't affect you.

Hey, I like nothing more then going 70+ on I57 and I wish I could flash a sign in the back of my car that says "slower traffic stay right", but it's the idiots driving drunk, otherwise impaired, texting, cell use, etc. that can't handle all of the above while going 70+mph. They could all affect you while you're on the road.

Are you saying that ticketing is fine as long as the penalties weren't too high or that it should be a free for all on the road and no tickets? There have always been quotas, although long denied. I remember the good old days when I was young and cute and got out of several speeding tickets.

Your job depends on rules and regulations, doesn't it? And there are some potentially high costs for not following them ?

The cop that gave that seatbelt ticket was too zealous, if that's the word, another cop in the same scenario might not have.

My best friend's niece was killed by a kid speeding through a stop
sign on a rural road. She was a good and productive person. If he would have been stopped before that I really don't care if his fine was 5 bucks or a thousand.
The autobahn has no speed limits and the accident rate is lower than on the US interstate system ... It's not about safety:

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question116086...

If drunks are a problem instead of random speed traps and ticketing folks who aren't even driving unsafe, but police outside of bars. It's illegal to drive drunk afterglow and police would just be doing their job, as Jess likes to point out, but they don't. Instead, they pick and choose what laws they want to enforce and to what extent.

My job is not parasitic. I don't make my living by making folks miserable. I picked my area in part because of this.

In terms of how I view tickets ... it's primarily a racket designed to increase revenue.

In terms if your niece, people are imperfect. There are going to be accidents regardless of what police do. The kid obviously didn't see the stop sign. Police enforcement isn't going to change that. It's not like people try to blow stop signs intentionally, unlike speeding.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>Their job is to enforce the law, hence the name Law Enforcement Officers. The politicians create the laws, supposedly as our representatives. Remember, the lowering of the national speed limit in 1974 was part of the Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act.

The police have some discretion when it comes to writing tickets vs. giving warnings, but they do not create the laws. Checks and balances, you know?
I never said they write the laws. They pick and chose which laws they will enforce, however, and how vigorously. It's known that pretty women get let off far more than men. If you are a cop and get pulled over, they let you off, more often than not. It's known that most folks leaving bars are drunk and if they focused on that half as much as they focus on pulling over folks speeding, we'd have a lot less drunk driving fatalities.

It's little more than a racket that some people make a living off of, IMO, while at the same time telling you it's for your own good.

I doubt we'll see eye to eye on the issue.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Clarence Narrow wrote:
<quoted text>Oh. Professional courtesy is only for law-breaking lawyers. Oh.
Nope. Opposing counsel virtually always have conversations with each other surrounding the case and possible settlement before they show up to court.

If you got a ticket and hired an attorney, do you think the first time your attorney talked to the prosecutor would be in court? If so, you need a new attorney.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

dahgts wrote:
Sub, this should give you a lot to rant about.:)

http://news.yahoo.com/ark-police-photograph-l...
I can't open it on my iPhone, but from the words in the link, I would probably think it's b.s. As I said, police are constantly seeking to trample the constitution in the name if public safety. I don't like that. Anyone who seeks to strip me of my constitutional rights is no friend of mine.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>Right, years ago, an ex SO, a CPD cop who did nothing but traffic, just sat on a city street waiting for speeders, told me how dangerous his job was. I smirked and said yeah, right. A few weeks after that two cops were killed during a traffic stop.
This is one of the troopers whose family my husband's softball team does a benefit for. I am not saying that I always drive the speed limit, but don't complain to me about getting a ticket if you get caught.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/20413-trooper-mar...

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Opposing counsel virtually always have conversations with each other surrounding the case and possible settlement before they show up to court.
If you got a ticket and hired an attorney, do you think the first time your attorney talked to the prosecutor would be in court? If so, you need a new attorney.
I doubt any attorney fighting a regular traffic ticket would call the Asst. DA to talk about a speeding ticket, unless it was a person of special consideration (famous, politican, another lawyer, etc.)

Criminal case, yet -- traffic, no. Except maybe to get a continuance. And probably not even for that. I hope you're not counting talking to the DA or assist. DA the 1/2 before court is in session.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

"Criminal case, yet" should be "Criminal case, yes" Probably need more coffee.:)

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't open it on my iPhone, but from the words in the link, I would probably think it's b.s. As I said, police are constantly seeking to trample the constitution in the name if public safety. I don't like that. Anyone who seeks to strip me of my constitutional rights is no friend of mine.
I don't think they're trying to trample the Constitution. I think they're trying to get ahead and look good to their superiors. Sometimes, the Constitution gets in the way. I don't think they're many officers out there who are students of Constitutional law.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think they're trying to trample the Constitution. I think they're trying to get ahead and look good to their superiors. Sometimes, the Constitution gets in the way. I don't think they're many officers out there who are students of Constitutional law.
You mean they are not all Jamie Reagan on Blue Bloods? Damn, I thought TV was real...

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean they are not all Jamie Reagan on Blue Bloods? Damn, I thought TV was real...
:D The Constitution sure gets badgered about in a lot of conversations but I don't think that many people know the inside and outside of the Constitution. Plus, officers are suppose to enforce the law and it is up to the judge and jury to enforce. That's how our system is set up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

99 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Patrick 1,082,066
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 38 min Terry rigsby 48,939
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 54 min Jacques from Ottawa 174,913
Amy 7-28 59 min Mister Tonka 10
Local health care outreach program to Muslims e... 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Zioni 68,043
Would you if I said please? 1 hr LexiRC 1
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 28 at 9:22AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000