|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>:( I hope that talking to you gave her some peace and comfort.
Ohh, I don't know if I am capable of giving her comfort and peace. She was happy to hear from me, and I told her I love her and she did the same. She's been getting a lot of visitors. She's adored by my family. She's a very special lady.

I don't see her much anymore, since I moved away and physically she slowed down once she hit about 87 and doesn't care to leave her house anymore. Before that she could keep up with the best of them and traveled the world with my folks and when she wasn't doing that would stay with them at their home for weeks at a time. So I saw her a lot.

If you can imagine a perfect, loving grandma, thats her. She took care of me when I had chicken pox. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. When we were younger and visited shed always ask what we wanted her to cook for us. I have a lot of good memories with her. Good soul.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Today is (was) Dr. Seuss's birthday. I love that he wrote books specifically to encourage children to read. I pretty much hate everything I know about Theodor Geisel (his real name) as a real person.

I am going to compartmentalize today, for my boys' sakes. The schools make a huge deal about Dr. Seuss's birthday and use it in conjunction with Read Across America day.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

PEllen wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/chi cago/TDERJ9J05OPL450CG#lastPos t
Abby
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TMTRR76E6J...

Amy 3-2

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Typing on my new computer, waiting for delivery of y new stove, monitring the poor ktten so she doesn't undo her cone of shame and lic her spay incision, cleaning house.

Ah, Saturday

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Abbers:

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TDERJ9J05O...

Thanks Pel! You did such a good job, I'm going to sit back and wait for Amy too.
;)

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohh, I don't know if I am capable of giving her comfort and peace. She was happy to hear from me, and I told her I love her and she did the same. She's been getting a lot of visitors. She's adored by my family. She's a very special lady.
I don't see her much anymore, since I moved away and physically she slowed down once she hit about 87 and doesn't care to leave her house anymore. Before that she could keep up with the best of them and traveled the world with my folks and when she wasn't doing that would stay with them at their home for weeks at a time. So I saw her a lot.
If you can imagine a perfect, loving grandma, thats her. She took care of me when I had chicken pox. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. When we were younger and visited shed always ask what we wanted her to cook for us. I have a lot of good memories with her. Good soul.
by talking to her, you are bringing her comfort and peace. my grandmother told one of her nurses in her last 12 hours that i was a good lady, i think because i came to visit as muhc as i did.

keep calling her and talking about the good memories, both with her and with others.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

AS, did you get your pictures today? You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Hey Sub,
Just for laughs:
A Carol Stream pig gave me s $60 dollar ticket tonight for not wearing my seat belt.
It was dark out and I had just pulled out of a store parking lot and was at a red light waiting and when it turned green he turned on his gumball machine and pulled me over.
He said he saw me put it on at the light and that's why he was stopping me.
So, when he gave me the ticket I told that he just had made my day and that I would see him in court.
That's when he got pissed off and told me to "shut up!".
So I did. I didn't say another word to him and he let me go.
Do you think he had probable cause to pull me over?
Just wondering if I should just pay the fine, or go and plead not guilty and take my chances.
You're an attorney. What would you do?
Thanks

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

loose cannon wrote:
Hey Sub,
Just for laughs:
A Carol Stream pig gave me s $60 dollar ticket tonight for not wearing my seat belt.
It was dark out and I had just pulled out of a store parking lot and was at a red light waiting and when it turned green he turned on his gumball machine and pulled me over.
So, when he gave me the ticket I told that he just had made my day and that I would see him in court.
Just wondering if I should just pay the fine, or go and plead not guilty and take my chances.
Thanks
That's not my area, but if I were in your shoes, I would analyze it like this:

If he saw you putting on your seat belt, he had probable cause. You can go and fight it and maybe he doesn't show up to court and the charges will be dropped. Other than that, if he shows up, unless you are going to lie and say you had it on, which I would not advise that you do, there's no question you were in violation of the law.

What would I do? When I've gotten tickets before I'm pretty sure I could go in and make it a pain in the a$s for the assistant DA or whatever and fight tooth and nail and probably get things dropped, but I voluntarily take my lumps just like everyone else. I try to do the supervision thing or safety school thing and I pay my fine. That's just me ... I like to be treated no better than everyone else.

Only one time did I fight a ticket and that was here last summer. The cop told me he got me at 9 over and the ticket said 14 over. I didn't look at the ticket until a couple of days later, tho, or i would have said something to the officer at the time.

So I went in to court and waited my turn to enter my plea (here you do that before the assistant DA and if you plead not guilty then you come back on another day before the judge).

The assistant DA didn't know I was an attorney and she kept telling me I only have three choices, plead guilty for 15, plead not guilty, or I could cut a deal and shed have me plea guilty for 9 over. I said, that's not a deal, because the policeman told me he only got me at 9 over?

The whole court room was packed with hundreds of people and I am going around and around and around with her (she was a former judge, herself). She kept saying Mr. Sublime we don't talk about facts today ... You only can enter your plea!

Finally, I was like NOOOOO ... I'm an attorney .. I already had to take a half day off if work to come here today ... I'm not taking another one just to come back here and argue with you before a judge about what the cop told me verses what the ticket says.

Her jaw about hit the floor when she found out I was an attorney. She took me back to a room, chastised me for not saying I was an attorney at the outset and for not wearing a suit in court (I was business casual). Then she shook my hand, introduced herself, and dropped the charges. She told me to call her before going to court if I ever get a ticket again, so that I don't have to show up to court before figuring out how we are going to handle it (its a professional courtesy)

Anyway, if I were you I'd pay the ticket and see if you can get supervision or go to traffic school so it doesn't up your insurance rates, but that's me. You could also go see an attorney who can likely help you out.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>by talking to her, you are bringing her comfort and peace. my grandmother told one of her nurses in her last 12 hours that i was a good lady, i think because i came to visit as muhc as i did.

keep calling her and talking about the good memories, both with her and with others.
Oh, if I were there, I'd be visiting. She's been getting a lot of visitors.

I will call her again soon, but i am hoping she won't be there too long. She was hoping that too, when we talked. Tomorrow, I'll give my mom a call and find out how the tests went.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

loose cannon wrote:
Hey Sub,
Just for laughs:
Thanks
It's a little unclear from your post - are you saying that you had your seat belt of before you put the car in drive and the officer is making up a story and falsely giving you a ticket or are you mad that you got caught in violation of the law?

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

I am a very cautious driver with a clean driving record and who obeys all laws to the best of my ability.
He was in an unmarked SUV and I hasd no idea there was a prowler behind me.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
AS, did you get your pictures today? You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers.
Yes we did... asked my brother to try not to look too disgusted, nad he laughed, saying someothgn like "had i not learned ANYthing..." gave him crap right back and said "like i said, try not to look *TOO* disgusted."

the soloist did a wonderful job at the funeral, and she was upset to find out as she walked out from the back that it was "our" funeral. she and my mom are pals, and she would have done more warming up, etc., had she known. her rendition of Ave Maria is up htere with Chris Cornell (of Soundgarden) on one of the Very Special Christmas albums. she doesn't know of Chris Cornell, but she has won a Grammy...(not sure for waht, though)

thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

loose cannon wrote:
I am a very cautious driver with a clean driving record and who obeys all laws to the best of my ability.
You still didn't answer the question clearly. Stop pouting and show a little respect for the men and women who put themselves in harm's way every day to keep us safe and enforce the laws. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You still didn't answer the question clearly. Stop pouting and show a little respect for the men and women who put themselves in harm's way every day to keep us safe and enforce the laws. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege.
Its like she's reading from a bad movie script.

Pig. Gumball machine. Prowler. And yes. Still no clear indication of if she did what she was accused of.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

loose cannon wrote:
I get it. I get pi$sed too when I get a ticket. I see it as being all about an additional source of revenue and very little to do with safety (like red light cameras). It happens to everyone, tho.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Amy
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TISONU5GQ6...

Topix said Amy was too long. So at the risk of offending free speechers I edited out the least interesting.

Abby
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T6R4IQFT5O...

Hope this works. My computer keeps showing uploading, won't stop.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>You still didn't answer the question clearly. Stop pouting and show a little respect for the men and women who put themselves in harm's way every day to keep us safe and enforce the laws. Driving is not a right, it is a privilege.
I don't have a great deal of respect for what are essentially tax collectors. If they are fighting real crime and not glorified meter maids, of course.

Writing folks tickets for going 10 mph (especially when they speed themselves and get let off 99% of the time should they get pulled over by mentioning they are cops) and not wearing seat belts is not real crime.

It pis$es me off even more when they say have a nice day or drive safe after they write you a ticket ... as if they did anything to contribute to you having a nice day or as if it's really about your safety.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it. I get pi$sed too when I get a ticket. I see it as being all about an additional source of revenue and very little to do with safety (like red light cameras). It happens to everyone, tho.
So you think that all traffic tickets are strictly for revenue and not safety? Or just your minor miles over and the seatbelt ticket were. I think both were ridiculous. If someone was flying down the freeway at 90mph and got a ticket, that was just for revenue? Not for the protection of you and your family in the next lane?

Re your grandma, you got me teary-eyed. I too had a saint of a polish granny. It's been 40 years since she passed and I still get sad, especially when I see little, old ladies like her. I wasn't lucky enough to have her around as long as you do, but I did give her her first great-grandchild. My best wishes for her recovery.

I don't often agree with you but I will have to at least respect your intelligence now that I know you have polish blood.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

26 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 35 min JOEL COOL DUDE 68,455
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Brian_G 45,909
Obama, Emanuel Need to Put Chicago's Kids First 1 hr sheepleloveroyalty 5
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr voice of peace 68,075
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Yeah 1,084,463
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr LRS 175,239
Why We will Go to War with Russia 3 hr SnuffAGlobalist 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••