Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81586 Mar 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
OMFreakingGosh:
http://extremesandbox.com/
Caterpillar's headquarters is in Peoria IL. When I was in college studying landscape architecture, we were invited to their field demonstration site. Trained operators did stuff like this . Some of it was coordinated and looked like dinosaurs doing ballet moves. Really impressive.

But Cheese Louise, the danger to the operators!!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81587 Mar 1, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks PE! That Asphalt Orchestra looks like something I'd enjoy.
The description sounds phenomonal. Tickets were ranging from $18 to 26 depending on the show, less for students.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81588 Mar 1, 2013
My soon to be 93 year old grandma (ive mentioned her before ... shes polish) is in the hospital. She's losing blood and they had to give her some.

They scoped her and she has an ulcer ... Hopefully that's the source and they can treat it. They aren't sure right now.

Shes been crying saying she doesn't want to leave everyone. She's still mentally sharp and as sharp as a tack.

I just got off the phone with her and she said I keep asking god for just a little more time and I think he hears me. She's so sweet and it was nice to hear her voice.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81589 Mar 1, 2013
1. The sequestration was voted by BOTH R's and D's
2. Y2K! Y2K! Y2K! Oh, never mind.
3. The social service programs are the ones which the Tea Party Republicans most want to cut.
4. Are there Tea Party Democrats? If so, who?
5. There is government waste; there are overlapping departments; everyone is protecting their own turf, power, prestige.
6. There is as much waste in places like defense contracts as there is in ACAct stuff.
7. I am most worried about FDA inspectors of meat and eggs, air traffic controllers, Center for Disease Control
8.Y2K! Y2K!, oh yeah, right

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81590 Mar 1, 2013
Rush has a concert date in Chicago in June , I think. We could have a regs confernece.

(Just something equally scary to take your mind off sequestration)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#81591 Mar 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Rush has a concert date in Chicago in June , I think. We could have a regs confernece.
(Just something equally scary to take your mind off sequestration)
Maybe a Race & Mimi conference. I'll opt to hit Chicago for Pearl Jam at Wrigley field. I'll let Sam sneak me in and I'll report back to Race on whether or not her friends are transvestites. What do you say Sam? I just need to see enough give an accurate report.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81592 Mar 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
My soon to be 93 year old grandma (ive mentioned her before ... shes polish) is in the hospital. She's losing blood and they had to give her some.

They scoped her and she has an ulcer ... Hopefully that's the source and they can treat it. They aren't sure right now.

Shes been crying saying she doesn't want to leave everyone. She's still mentally sharp and as sharp as a tack.

I just got off the phone with her and she said I keep asking god for just a little more time and I think he hears me. She's so sweet and it was nice to hear her voice.
:( I hope that talking to you gave her some peace and comfort.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#81593 Mar 1, 2013
Just got home from my friend's birthday dinner/night out... Great girls night.

Tomorrow night I save face with my favorite bartender!

Location hidden

#81594 Mar 1, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>:( I hope that talking to you gave her some peace and comfort.
Ohh, I don't know if I am capable of giving her comfort and peace. She was happy to hear from me, and I told her I love her and she did the same. She's been getting a lot of visitors. She's adored by my family. She's a very special lady.

I don't see her much anymore, since I moved away and physically she slowed down once she hit about 87 and doesn't care to leave her house anymore. Before that she could keep up with the best of them and traveled the world with my folks and when she wasn't doing that would stay with them at their home for weeks at a time. So I saw her a lot.

If you can imagine a perfect, loving grandma, thats her. She took care of me when I had chicken pox. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. When we were younger and visited shed always ask what we wanted her to cook for us. I have a lot of good memories with her. Good soul.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81595 Mar 2, 2013
Today is (was) Dr. Seuss's birthday. I love that he wrote books specifically to encourage children to read. I pretty much hate everything I know about Theodor Geisel (his real name) as a real person.

I am going to compartmentalize today, for my boys' sakes. The schools make a huge deal about Dr. Seuss's birthday and use it in conjunction with Read Across America day.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81596 Mar 2, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81597 Mar 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/chi cago/TDERJ9J05OPL450CG#lastPos t
Abby
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TMTRR76E6J...

Amy 3-2

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81598 Mar 2, 2013
Typing on my new computer, waiting for delivery of y new stove, monitring the poor ktten so she doesn't undo her cone of shame and lic her spay incision, cleaning house.

Ah, Saturday

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#81599 Mar 2, 2013
Abbers:

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TDERJ9J05O...

Thanks Pel! You did such a good job, I'm going to sit back and wait for Amy too.
;)

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#81600 Mar 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohh, I don't know if I am capable of giving her comfort and peace. She was happy to hear from me, and I told her I love her and she did the same. She's been getting a lot of visitors. She's adored by my family. She's a very special lady.
I don't see her much anymore, since I moved away and physically she slowed down once she hit about 87 and doesn't care to leave her house anymore. Before that she could keep up with the best of them and traveled the world with my folks and when she wasn't doing that would stay with them at their home for weeks at a time. So I saw her a lot.
If you can imagine a perfect, loving grandma, thats her. She took care of me when I had chicken pox. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. When we were younger and visited shed always ask what we wanted her to cook for us. I have a lot of good memories with her. Good soul.
by talking to her, you are bringing her comfort and peace. my grandmother told one of her nurses in her last 12 hours that i was a good lady, i think because i came to visit as muhc as i did.

keep calling her and talking about the good memories, both with her and with others.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81601 Mar 2, 2013
AS, did you get your pictures today? You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#81602 Mar 2, 2013
Hey Sub,
Just for laughs:
A Carol Stream pig gave me s $60 dollar ticket tonight for not wearing my seat belt.
It was dark out and I had just pulled out of a store parking lot and was at a red light waiting and when it turned green he turned on his gumball machine and pulled me over.
He said he saw me put it on at the light and that's why he was stopping me.
So, when he gave me the ticket I told that he just had made my day and that I would see him in court.
That's when he got pissed off and told me to "shut up!".
So I did. I didn't say another word to him and he let me go.
Do you think he had probable cause to pull me over?
Just wondering if I should just pay the fine, or go and plead not guilty and take my chances.
You're an attorney. What would you do?
Thanks

Location hidden

#81603 Mar 2, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
Hey Sub,
Just for laughs:
A Carol Stream pig gave me s $60 dollar ticket tonight for not wearing my seat belt.
It was dark out and I had just pulled out of a store parking lot and was at a red light waiting and when it turned green he turned on his gumball machine and pulled me over.
So, when he gave me the ticket I told that he just had made my day and that I would see him in court.
Just wondering if I should just pay the fine, or go and plead not guilty and take my chances.
Thanks
That's not my area, but if I were in your shoes, I would analyze it like this:

If he saw you putting on your seat belt, he had probable cause. You can go and fight it and maybe he doesn't show up to court and the charges will be dropped. Other than that, if he shows up, unless you are going to lie and say you had it on, which I would not advise that you do, there's no question you were in violation of the law.

What would I do? When I've gotten tickets before I'm pretty sure I could go in and make it a pain in the a$s for the assistant DA or whatever and fight tooth and nail and probably get things dropped, but I voluntarily take my lumps just like everyone else. I try to do the supervision thing or safety school thing and I pay my fine. That's just me ... I like to be treated no better than everyone else.

Only one time did I fight a ticket and that was here last summer. The cop told me he got me at 9 over and the ticket said 14 over. I didn't look at the ticket until a couple of days later, tho, or i would have said something to the officer at the time.

So I went in to court and waited my turn to enter my plea (here you do that before the assistant DA and if you plead not guilty then you come back on another day before the judge).

The assistant DA didn't know I was an attorney and she kept telling me I only have three choices, plead guilty for 15, plead not guilty, or I could cut a deal and shed have me plea guilty for 9 over. I said, that's not a deal, because the policeman told me he only got me at 9 over?

The whole court room was packed with hundreds of people and I am going around and around and around with her (she was a former judge, herself). She kept saying Mr. Sublime we don't talk about facts today ... You only can enter your plea!

Finally, I was like NOOOOO ... I'm an attorney .. I already had to take a half day off if work to come here today ... I'm not taking another one just to come back here and argue with you before a judge about what the cop told me verses what the ticket says.

Her jaw about hit the floor when she found out I was an attorney. She took me back to a room, chastised me for not saying I was an attorney at the outset and for not wearing a suit in court (I was business casual). Then she shook my hand, introduced herself, and dropped the charges. She told me to call her before going to court if I ever get a ticket again, so that I don't have to show up to court before figuring out how we are going to handle it (its a professional courtesy)

Anyway, if I were you I'd pay the ticket and see if you can get supervision or go to traffic school so it doesn't up your insurance rates, but that's me. You could also go see an attorney who can likely help you out.

Location hidden

#81604 Mar 2, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>by talking to her, you are bringing her comfort and peace. my grandmother told one of her nurses in her last 12 hours that i was a good lady, i think because i came to visit as muhc as i did.

keep calling her and talking about the good memories, both with her and with others.
Oh, if I were there, I'd be visiting. She's been getting a lot of visitors.

I will call her again soon, but i am hoping she won't be there too long. She was hoping that too, when we talked. Tomorrow, I'll give my mom a call and find out how the tests went.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81605 Mar 2, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
Hey Sub,
Just for laughs:
Thanks
It's a little unclear from your post - are you saying that you had your seat belt of before you put the car in drive and the officer is making up a story and falsely giving you a ticket or are you mad that you got caught in violation of the law?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Yeah 1,263,144
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min Dr Guru 194,461
Opportunity knocks at the door only once. 20 min Q372725176 degree 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 54,345
Cheap Kitchen Cabinets Door For Sale UK 1 hr drisa22 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 70,142
abby7-30-15 4 hr mrs gladys kravitz 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages