Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81490 Feb 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Three people got laid off yesterday afternoon.:(
Two more today.
I feel for ANYBODY who gets laid off, and I don't believe that someone's personal circumstances should come into play at all. But I admit that I feel a bit extra when it's a married guy with three kids in parochial school and a mortage. Or the guy with a baby who just bought a house. When you have dependents, I just think it would be more stressful.
It's very difficult to go through for the people who get laid off and the people who are left.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81491 Feb 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Three people got laid off yesterday afternoon.:(

Two more today.

I feel for ANYBODY who gets laid off, and I don't believe that someone's personal circumstances should come into play at all. But I admit that I feel a bit extra when it's a married guy with three kids in parochial school and a mortage. Or the guy with a baby who just bought a house. When you have dependents, I just think it would be more stressful.
That stinks :(

Speaking of - how's the job situation, Tonka? You may have mentioned something that I missed, but you have been on my mind.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#81492 Feb 28, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you are leaving out something major, I don't remember hearing about any stupid decisions. You are entitled to random night out with co-workers/friends.
Nothing major... it just seems like a lot of the nights out turn out kind of weird (like the guy who my friend and I were talking to who walked out on his tab). I need to be a little careful.
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't throw up on the bar or strip in front of your boss.
This time. ;)
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope your day is productive and goes by quickly!
Thanks! After the rough start with the computer, I did get a bunch of stuff done. I still have a heap in my inbox but it's almost lunchtime soon... my comfy bed is going to be so tempting, but I plan on getting a lot out of this afternoon too. Being behind on stuff sucks.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#81493 Feb 28, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
That stinks :(
Speaking of - how's the job situation, Tonka? You may have mentioned something that I missed, but you have been on my mind.
sucks. No new job yet. No word on when the hammer drops or what, if any , severance there will be. At least i squeezed some addotional training in. Had a class this week that was scheduled and paid for before the big announcement.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#81494 Feb 28, 2013
YAY! Boat is back in action. Guy just finished working on it. Dog is gonna be so stoked.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#81495 Feb 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
ANd both of those guys have wives who make far less than they do -- one I know works only to pay the tuition for the three kids in parochial school. I know, I know, choices. But it sucks.
Thank Obama's economy.

“reign in blood”

United States

#81496 Feb 28, 2013
RACE wrote:
Dog is gonna be so stoked.
I'm glad your boat is back in action, and all, but I'm hardly stoked about it. Number one, I don't have a boat, number two, it's winter here anyway.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81497 Feb 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank Obama's economy.
I think I'll blame a few of the retiring partners who don't do anything to get new clients or bring in new work.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81498 Feb 28, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank Obama's economy.
They will quickly find work. The economy is improving and the job picture is rosy ... just ask Obama! <sarcasm>

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#81499 Feb 28, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>sucks. No new job yet. No word on when the hammer drops or what, if any , severance there will be. At least i squeezed some addotional training in. Had a class this week that was scheduled and paid for before the big announcement.
If there is anyone on here that sticks with things, it's you. You'll get a job. Probably a good one.

Location hidden

#81500 Feb 28, 2013

Location hidden

#81501 Feb 28, 2013
"My husband and I were married last May 11. My new brother-in-law is now engaged, and we are thrilled, although we do not know his fiancée very well. They have picked dates for both their engagement party and their wedding: May 11 this year and next year."

WEll, that's dumb. Because if you got married on May 11, 2012, on a Saturday, then their engagement party will be May 11, 2013, on a Sunday, and their wedding will be on May 11, 2014, on a MOnday. Who freakin' does THAT?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#81502 Feb 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
"My husband and I were married last May 11. My new brother-in-law is now engaged, and we are thrilled, although we do not know his fiancée very well. They have picked dates for both their engagement party and their wedding: May 11 this year and next year."
WEll, that's dumb. Because if you got married on May 11, 2012, on a Saturday, then their engagement party will be May 11, 2013, on a Sunday, and their wedding will be on May 11, 2014, on a MOnday. Who freakin' does THAT?
Check the calendar. LW got married on a FRIDAY. So BIL is having engagement party on saturday and wedding the following year on Sunday.

This makes me think of a Gnarls Barkley lyric from Crazy

"Come on now, who do you, who do you, who do you, who do you think you are,
Ha ha ha bless your soul
You really think you're in control"

I feel like saying to her

"Ha ha ha bless your soul
You really think anyone gives a rat's ass when your wedding date was?"

Its like LW thinks that moving forward, this day is going to be a date that is celebrated by others and is upset that she will have to share that weekend with BIL. Bless her soul. Ain't that cute.
Pretty soon, she'll realize that her anniversary will be recognized by others with a greeting card or not at all.

Location hidden

#81503 Feb 28, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Check the calendar. LW got married on a FRIDAY. So BIL is having engagement party on saturday and wedding the following year on Sunday.
This makes me think of a Gnarls Barkley lyric from Crazy
"Come on now, who do you, who do you, who do you, who do you think you are,
Ha ha ha bless your soul
You really think you're in control"
I feel like saying to her
"Ha ha ha bless your soul
You really think anyone gives a rat's ass when your wedding date was?"
Its like LW thinks that moving forward, this day is going to be a date that is celebrated by others and is upset that she will have to share that weekend with BIL. Bless her soul. Ain't that cute.
Pretty soon, she'll realize that her anniversary will be recognized by others with a greeting card or not at all.
Doh! I was looking at May 11, 2013 on my outlook calendar!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#81504 Feb 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Wow. What a group of letters. What is that chick THINKING about her brother? She's worried he's going to lose his kids? Maybe she shold be glad.

That whole date/wedding thing is weird. But I agree with Prudie -- no one ever really remembers someone else's wedding date.

I loved Prudie's instructions on how to address down that women in that guy's office. They have come out with stuff for dark circles recently that actually works, but I don't think it works THAT well.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81505 Feb 28, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My bro and SIL got married on September 3, 1979.

Our ister got married September 3, 1990 because it was Labor Day weekend.

Bro and SIL still married.
Sister and that husband are not.

Jinks!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#81506 Feb 28, 2013
Toj wrote:
That whole date/wedding thing is weird. But I agree with Prudie -- no one ever really remembers someone else's wedding date.
I remember my sister's, but that's because several other things of significance happened to ME on that date. One occured before the wedding, so they're stuck together permanently in my mind.

But her's is the only one.

Location hidden

#81507 Feb 28, 2013
In case you haven't heard of this, two guys at work recommended this to me this week:

appsgonefree

You get 10 apps offered for free downloads each day, apps that normally cost money. Once you download them, you can delete them and redownload them later again for free.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81508 Feb 28, 2013
End of month happy hour at the office. I'm buzzed on one nice sized bottle of Thistly Cross Whisky Barrel... which does not mix well with an IPA. Yuk!!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#81509 Feb 28, 2013
Now we're getting drunk on Thursday night!?

Taxes are done and I'm getting a whopping 5 dollars back from the state!(strange because I've always owed or broke even and taxes went up last year. Guess my last tax man was screwing me.)

Gonna have to hold off celebrating til tomorrow though! Some people have to work

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min Joe Balls 196,932
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min red and right 1,274,999
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 45 min Trey LaTrache 54,497
Candi wright. Homewrecker 1 hr Enough1908 1
Hillary fires up crowd in Iowa. 5 hr lakeche 4
abby 8-28=15 5 hr Julie 8
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 hr Doug77 6,402
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages