Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Just got back from lunch at Keefer's, had the lobster bisque and the lobster blt. Totally worth going out in the snow for.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RACE wrote:
And I say she is standing on semantics, and she really means that people who have a faith are dumb for having faith, and even dumber if the have the same one their parents do.
She is trying to split hairs and appear polite about calling some people stupid.
And I dont care if she disputes that, because you wont change my mind about her intent.
<quoted text>
That's your persecution complex talking.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
So, it's winter here in chicago, and as some of you might be aware we get snow storms here every now and again... the class whiner has been carrying on for at least an hour and a half about how this person and that person is driving an says the roads are crap, and she's taking her "lunch" late and just going home...(and that's a long lunch she's planning as well) not sure how much longer before i snap at her...
I now return you to your regular programming...
Every office has one of those, and they are in full revelry today. A few people here have already sarcastically asked our if she just moved here from down south which only provokes her to escalate. "Oh I just bet the trains are going to be delayed and my husband is going to be late picking me up and I just know the neighbors aren't going to shovel their full half of the driveway and blah blah blah."

I feel your pain. Good luck. If you do snap, make it YouTube-worthy.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
I will say that, at least here, it's a weird mix of rain, sleet, and snow that just sucks. I'm not really looking forward to driving home today. The salt trucks were out in full force this morning, but it was raining so hard I'm sure it just washed everthing away.*shrug* We'll see when the time comes, I guess. Thank goodness for all wheel drive.
Some towns spread a slurry of molasses and salt that spreads farther, coats better and doesn't use as much salt.

Nonetheless- Yuk

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Mine is the "come in late, gab for an hour, take a long lunch, leave early and complain about how busy/how much she has to do" variety... and when she's "really busy" she snaps at others and is really rude to tehm for no reason (like she ever has one).

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

But you cant say that it is or isn't because you just dont know.
If 80% in a demographic is a particular religion, you cannot say that they all failed to use critical thinking when choosing that religion. Nor can you say that any one of their children fails to use critical thinking if they choose to also accept that religion.

I dont believe that if each person were to take a crash course in world religions, the the #'s would magically blend into a perfect pie chart of religions, with each religion having an equal # of followers.

Yes, parents, tradition, friends all play a role, but you cannot blindly say that because someone has the faith of their community, they have failed to think, or analyze, or whatever you want to call it.

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's where Sam, Tonka, and I point out that one's religion is largely determined according to where one is born and what the predominant religion is in that area or what your parents religion is.
To have faith in religion that you likely wouldn't have ANY faith in if we just change one variable in your life, i.e. where you were born or what your parent's religion is, is why we say this is not an exercise of critical thinking, especially when you consider the amount of time, effort, and money many people spend on religious pursuits.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

It's snowing like crazy in the Loop. It didn't start here, though, until around noon or so.

Where I live it started around 10:30 this morning and has been really snowing ever since.

It'll be interesting commute home.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Interesting articles on the religion and smart people subject

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/scie...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/23/national/23...

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Never stopped you. You and blanket assertions are not strangers.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RACE wrote:
If 80% in a demographic is a particular religion, you cannot say that they all failed to use critical thinking when choosing that religion. Nor can you say that any one of their children fails to use critical thinking if they choose to also accept that religion.
I dont believe that if each person were to take a crash course in world religions, the the #'s would magically blend into a perfect pie chart of religions, with each religion having an equal # of followers.
Yes, parents, tradition, friends all play a role, but you cannot blindly say that because someone has the faith of their community, they have failed to think, or analyze, or whatever you want to call it.
<quoted text>
The word I would use to describe it is "arbitrary."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, neither of us has said that religious folks are incapable of independent thought.
That is EXACTLY what you are saying and I will not get drawn into an argument on your back-pedaling. If what you *mean* is being misinterpreted, then maybe you (ALL of you, you, sam, maybe even tonks if he's on this bandwagon) should restate your position in a clearer manner.

Do people choose faith? Or are they "mindlessly" following what others have told them?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
Interesting articles on the religion and smart people subject
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/scie...
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/23/national/23...
Stephen Hawking believes in God. He mentions God a few times in "A Brief History of Time." He doesn't see a conflict in believing in God and in following science.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you can say that. Why not?

I think what you are stating is that either it isn't accurate or that you would not know the accuracy of such a statement.

So which one? Is it inaccurate or that we do not know the accuracy of that statement and that's the issue?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That is EXACTLY what you are saying and I will not get drawn into an argument on your back-pedaling. If what you *mean* is being misinterpreted, then maybe you (ALL of you, you, sam, maybe even tonks if he's on this bandwagon) should restate your position in a clearer manner.
Do people choose faith? Or are they "mindlessly" following what others have told them?
One's religious choice is completely arbitrary in the vast majority of circumstances. You take that "fact" and interpret it however you wish.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

"Survey studies show that the great majority of Americans raised in particular denomination remain members after they become adults. But of persons who report that the religious affiliation of their parents
was "none," less than 40 percent remained without a religious affiliation when they grew up. Thus, the majority of offspring of "nones" convert to some religion (Kluegel, 1980)."

source: page 47-48
"The Future of Religion: Secularization, Revival, and Cult Formation,"
hosted by Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

From my POV both.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you can say that. Why not?
I think what you are stating is that either it isn't accurate or that you would not know the accuracy of such a statement.
So which one? Is it inaccurate or that we do not know the accuracy of that statement and that's the issue?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Fine, I interpret that to mean that you believe religious choice is based upon the arbitrary condition of how the feel in their heart.

Win/Win.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
One's religious choice is completely arbitrary in the vast majority of circumstances. You take that "fact" and interpret it however you wish.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Your like one of those stupid little dogs that bite at a persons heels. But I know your not little.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Never stopped you. You and blanket assertions are not strangers.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RACE wrote:
Fine, I interpret that to mean that you believe religious choice is based upon the arbitrary condition of how the feel in their heart.
Win/Win.
<quoted text>
Arbitrary: Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min Haz Mat 1,095,944
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min LRS 176,783
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Doug77 4,636
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr Concerned_American 320
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr bushi 49,259
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr andet1987 555
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr andet1987 4,630

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••
•••