Topix Chitown Regulars

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81326 Feb 26, 2013
Interesting articles on the religion and smart people subject

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/scie...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/23/national/23...

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

#81327 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
But you cant say that it is or isn't because you just dont know.
<quoted text>
Never stopped you. You and blanket assertions are not strangers.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81328 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
If 80% in a demographic is a particular religion, you cannot say that they all failed to use critical thinking when choosing that religion. Nor can you say that any one of their children fails to use critical thinking if they choose to also accept that religion.
I dont believe that if each person were to take a crash course in world religions, the the #'s would magically blend into a perfect pie chart of religions, with each religion having an equal # of followers.
Yes, parents, tradition, friends all play a role, but you cannot blindly say that because someone has the faith of their community, they have failed to think, or analyze, or whatever you want to call it.
<quoted text>
The word I would use to describe it is "arbitrary."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#81329 Feb 26, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, neither of us has said that religious folks are incapable of independent thought.
That is EXACTLY what you are saying and I will not get drawn into an argument on your back-pedaling. If what you *mean* is being misinterpreted, then maybe you (ALL of you, you, sam, maybe even tonks if he's on this bandwagon) should restate your position in a clearer manner.

Do people choose faith? Or are they "mindlessly" following what others have told them?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81330 Feb 26, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Interesting articles on the religion and smart people subject
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/scie...
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/23/national/23...
Stephen Hawking believes in God. He mentions God a few times in "A Brief History of Time." He doesn't see a conflict in believing in God and in following science.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81331 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
If 80% in a demographic is a particular religion, you cannot say that they all failed to use critical thinking when choosing that religion. Nor can you say that any one of their children fails to use critical thinking if they choose to also accept that religion.
I dont believe that if each person were to take a crash course in world religions, the the #'s would magically blend into a perfect pie chart of religions, with each religion having an equal # of followers.
Yes, parents, tradition, friends all play a role, but you cannot blindly say that because someone has the faith of their community, they have failed to think, or analyze, or whatever you want to call it.
<quoted text>
Sure you can say that. Why not?

I think what you are stating is that either it isn't accurate or that you would not know the accuracy of such a statement.

So which one? Is it inaccurate or that we do not know the accuracy of that statement and that's the issue?

Location hidden

#81332 Feb 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That is EXACTLY what you are saying and I will not get drawn into an argument on your back-pedaling. If what you *mean* is being misinterpreted, then maybe you (ALL of you, you, sam, maybe even tonks if he's on this bandwagon) should restate your position in a clearer manner.
Do people choose faith? Or are they "mindlessly" following what others have told them?
One's religious choice is completely arbitrary in the vast majority of circumstances. You take that "fact" and interpret it however you wish.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#81333 Feb 26, 2013
"Survey studies show that the great majority of Americans raised in particular denomination remain members after they become adults. But of persons who report that the religious affiliation of their parents
was "none," less than 40 percent remained without a religious affiliation when they grew up. Thus, the majority of offspring of "nones" convert to some religion (Kluegel, 1980)."

source: page 47-48
"The Future of Religion: Secularization, Revival, and Cult Formation,"
hosted by Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#81334 Feb 26, 2013
From my POV both.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you can say that. Why not?
I think what you are stating is that either it isn't accurate or that you would not know the accuracy of such a statement.
So which one? Is it inaccurate or that we do not know the accuracy of that statement and that's the issue?

#81335 Feb 26, 2013
Fine, I interpret that to mean that you believe religious choice is based upon the arbitrary condition of how the feel in their heart.

Win/Win.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
One's religious choice is completely arbitrary in the vast majority of circumstances. You take that "fact" and interpret it however you wish.

#81336 Feb 26, 2013
Your like one of those stupid little dogs that bite at a persons heels. But I know your not little.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Never stopped you. You and blanket assertions are not strangers.

Location hidden

#81337 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
Fine, I interpret that to mean that you believe religious choice is based upon the arbitrary condition of how the feel in their heart.
Win/Win.
<quoted text>
Arbitrary: Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Cedar Grove, TN

#81338 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
Win/Win.
<quoted text>
You are the epitome of someone who will take any and all information presented and manipulate it and shoehorn it into your preconceived/predetermined position.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Cedar Grove, TN

#81339 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
Your like one of those stupid little dogs that bite at a persons heels. But I know your not little.
<quoted text>
Come to Vegas and you can see for yourself!

#81340 Feb 26, 2013
so, you think people choose their religion based upon the color of the sky on a particular day, or how healthy a dump they took?

(wipes butt, looks in bowl....Well, that a protestant crap if I ever saw one.)

Thats even worse than sams claim that their just sheeple going thru the motions they were brought up to mimic, like her own experience.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Arbitrary: Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

#81341 Feb 26, 2013
If you really cared, you would buy my ticket.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Come to Vegas and you can see for yourself!

Location hidden

#81343 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
so, you think people choose their religion based upon the color of the sky on a particular day, or how healthy a dump they took?
Thats even worse than sams claim that their just sheeple going thru the motions they were brought up to mimic, like her own experience.
<quoted text>
Nope, I didn't say that. One's religion is largely determined according to where you are born in the world and to what parents, which is completely random.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#81344 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? Do you eat with that mouth? You've had a problem about people respecting your religious choices and this comes out of your keyboard?

I don't care if you are trying to describe the words in other people's mouths -- that's just gross.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81345 Feb 26, 2013
crunchy bacon wrote:
Oh man- the roads are a mess! It's slowed down but I don think its over yet.
Well, well, haven't seen you for a while. Hope this was not posted while driving

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Cedar Grove, TN

#81346 Feb 26, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? Do you eat with that mouth? You've had a problem about people respecting your religious choices and this comes out of your keyboard?
I don't care if you are trying to describe the words in other people's mouths -- that's just gross.
Welcome to Race's recipe for debate. A cup of misrepresentation, a quart of obstinance, 2 cups ignorance, 2 cups stubbornness, a quarter-cup of self-pity, a cup-and-a-half of incivility, and a gallon of hypocrisy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min RealDave 1,274,454
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 54,489
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Dr Guru 196,873
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 11 hr Doug77 6,395
abby8-27-15 13 hr Sublime1 14
ask amy 8-27 14 hr PEllen 7
The Amazing Cashew 15 hr OH Im NUTS 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages