Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Ok, but then why do they stay in it? At some point they must have considered leaving?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
But there are families and fAith communities tha are overbearing and deviating from their expectations would not be accepted. Kids figure this put early on.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
She is not raising a point, she is simply saying that people who have a faith are too dumb to think for themselves.

No, that's what you want to put in her mouth. She's said it over and over. A person who was raised in a certain religion is most likely going to remain a member of that religion. That's fact. You want to read insult.

sam wrote....

but my criticism comes in when they are of a certain faith just because of tradition and not because of any critical thinking, including the consideration of other faiths.

Sorry tonka, but I dont believe sam has the "right" to "Judge" or Critisize" anyones religious choices
To even suggest that you can denounce another's religious beliefs based upon your own personal standard is an example of extreme arrogance.

Sure, he can have his opinion, but it should be stated as such, not projected as final fact or authority.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
On to lighter fare....
I watched the whole oscars show last night. I rarely see an Oscar movie so now I'm thinking of trying to watch movies alone at home.
Or tv shows. I never saw freaks and geeks. So ma ny cast members have gone on to have good careers. Did anyone here watch it?
Freaks and Geeks is a fantastic show. Only lasted a season, but I can't recommend it enough. Every few years, I re-watch it.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>how much time would that be?
I don't know...6, 8 weeks? Over resonable breaks?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Matilda's husband could be taking this personally, as in she doesn't want HIS SISTER to visit. I think framing more as an "I don't want house guests once a month no matter WHO they are."
Matilda... Just wondering, what's your sister been up to lately?
She came and visited us for a long weekend at the end of January for her 30th. I freaked out then, because no sooner do we ship the SIL and fiance back to school and she's like "I want to come stay for a week." Ended up to be a really fun time, and only 3.5 days or so, but leading up to it, I was freaking the hell out. So J knows it's not *just* his sister.

We had a more rational discussion of it yesterday. I think we're closer to an understanding. I don't know if that's going to accomplish anything, but I feel like I'm being heard a little bit.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

It lasted only one season? Wow, I had no idea. That should be an easy show to watch in a short time, then.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Even if they dropped in for say, a day or just overnight, it would be infinitely less stressful for me than them showing up an hour after I get off work on Friday and staying until 9:00 Sunday night.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It lasted only one season? Wow, I had no idea. That should be an easy show to watch in a short time, then.
Yeah, and then there's Undeclared, which has a lot of the same people and also lasted a season, maybe two. Also pretty good. It's no Freaks and Geeks, though.

F&G, could, I guess be classified as a drama, but it doesn't take itself too seriously. The kids are *roughly* high school age for the most part. Also, fantastic soundtrack. It's set in 1980-ish. I feel like it's the most realistic show about high school.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

And that's someone sleeping on your couch both nights/mornings. That is what would make me say "no." I want my living room when I want my living room.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RACE wrote:
RACE wrote:
She is not raising a point, she is simply saying that people who have a faith are too dumb to think for themselves.
No, that's what you want to put in her mouth. She's said it over and over. A person who was raised in a certain religion is most likely going to remain a member of that religion. That's fact. You want to read insult.
sam wrote....
but my criticism comes in when they are of a certain faith just because of tradition and not because of any critical thinking, including the consideration of other faiths.
Sorry tonka, but I dont believe sam has the "right" to "Judge" or Critisize" anyones religious choices
To even suggest that you can denounce another's religious beliefs based upon your own personal standard is an example of extreme arrogance.
Sure, he can have his opinion, but it should be stated as such, not projected as final fact or authority.
Or an opinion.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
She came and visited us for a long weekend at the end of January for her 30th. I freaked out then, because no sooner do we ship the SIL and fiance back to school and she's like "I want to come stay for a week." Ended up to be a really fun time, and only 3.5 days or so, but leading up to it, I was freaking the hell out. So J knows it's not *just* his sister.
We had a more rational discussion of it yesterday. I think we're closer to an understanding. I don't know if that's going to accomplish anything, but I feel like I'm being heard a little bit.
Awesome. That has to help.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

I have to admit, I love houseguests. :D

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And that's someone sleeping on your couch both nights/mornings. That is what would make me say "no." I want my living room when I want my living room.
Yuuuup...I'm all about my mornings. It wasn't *so* bad when it was just SIL, since she has her own room.

I was courteous for a bit while they were here over Christmas break, but after about 5 days, I just stopped giving a sh1t about making noise. The couch-surfer sleeps in the front formal living room, so my TV is still free. And when they're too stupid to block off the living room with dog gates, the dogs go jump on them and I let them.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I have to admit, I love houseguests.:D
Yanno, we really never had them when I was a kid at all.

We had a guest room in the basement, but there's no bathroom down there (we had one bathroom), so both sets of my grandparents would just get a hotel room. I had sleepovers once in a while, but I was the type that would rather go to someone else's house than have them at mine.

And then once I moved out, I'd have my parents or my sister over for like one night here and there, but not very often.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
But I can't think of a good way to say, don't come around so often.
"I think you are cheating yourself of some great opportunities. College is so much more than what you learn in the classroom, and I want to encourage you to spend one entire month on campus, getting out and experiencing something completely new each weekend. Then come home and tell us all about it. At least one of those weekends should be something all by yourself, with people you have never met before."

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
"I think you are cheating yourself of some great opportunities. College is so much more than what you learn in the classroom, and I want to encourage you to spend one entire month on campus, getting out and experiencing something completely new each weekend. Then come home and tell us all about it. At least one of those weekends should be something all by yourself, with people you have never met before."
I absolutely LOVE this answer. And it's so true, too.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
True. However, IMO (not that my opinion really counts here) they should pay for it their own damn selves. They wanna be all grown up and get married, then they should be the ones paying. My parents never paid for a wedding/reception, though they did buy a cake one time, but that was because THEY wanted to.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. But if it comes up, I think it should be only in that context...you are adults, and you should finance your own dreams. From what I've read here in the past, I suspect it will be along the lines of "boo hoo hoo...I WANT to give my little girl a dream wedding, but I'm disabled and so poor, and I can't give her the things I've dreamed of giving her" - another opportunity for everything to be about her, when in reality, if it were really important to her, she could find a way to set some cash aside and do something for her daughter.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Thats the point, she does not express it as an opinion, but rather stands in judgement.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Or an opinion.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto this, Sgt. Solid advice all around, y'all.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Our daughter, the social butterfly, hit the ground running when she got to campus and I swear she knew everyone within the first two weeks. When she did come home, she had lots of friends to see as well as spending time with her bio-mom so it was never an issue with her. Our son, though, is much more reserved, and we really had to push him to get out and meet people, and this is one tactic we used. He didn't like the idea, and was very uncomfortable, but he did it, and it worked.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 80,181 - 80,200 of97,514
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

106 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min lily boca raton fl 1,078,498
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Beavis 174,477
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Chicago, IL (Dec '11) 21 min Brian Shepard 116
Debate: Marijuana - Chicago, IL (Aug '10) 34 min Brian Shepard 297
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 35 min TRD 67,877
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 45 min Terry rigsby 48,843
Police Blotter (Jun '10) 49 min mewxico bOy 18
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 10:02AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search