Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81306 Feb 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I agree. You're all saying the same thing: people of faith are mindless drones incapable of independent thought and instead blindly follow what their parents say.
Nope, neither of us has said that religious folks are incapable of independent thought.

Sam has repeatedly said it's not that they are incapable, but that they choose not to do so.

Me, I said, it is one area where many seemingly intelligent folks fail to think critically.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#81307 Feb 26, 2013
Your such a twit.
Calling someone an idiot because they believe in limiting how many guns another person should own, is in no way comparable to calling someone an idiot because you dont like their religious choice.

If you cant see that, maybe its time you emptied your brain and tried filling it up again.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhh, I see the problem, you silly boy. You didn't know that we're in an internet forum where it is commonplace for people to express their opinions on the topic at hand. It happens all the time! For example, guns are discussed from time to time, and some people choose to label as idiots those who would seek to limit gun ownership rights. I know that you would never condemn anyone in such a harsh manner, but you should beware that such behavior does occur from time to time.
You of all people telling anyone what they can or cannot approve of or criticize, what rights they do or do not have is hilarious.

#81308 Feb 26, 2013
Depends, are the other girls "Real girls" or just transvestites like yourself?
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
Hey Race, some girlfriends and I just booked our weekend in Vegas the fourth weekend in June. Would you like to come out and be our cabana boy? Or maybe you could bring along your gun and be our security team!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81309 Feb 26, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Me, I said, it is one area where many seemingly intelligent folks fail to think critically.
And that's where "faith" comes in.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81310 Feb 26, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG! It's gorgeous, girlfriend!!
;p
And that color is SO YOU, Sub!

#81311 Feb 26, 2013
And I say she is standing on semantics, and she really means that people who have a faith are dumb for having faith, and even dumber if the have the same one their parents do.

She is trying to split hairs and appear polite about calling some people stupid.

And I dont care if she disputes that, because you wont change my mind about her intent.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sam has repeatedly said it's not that they are incapable, but that they choose not to do so.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#81312 Feb 26, 2013
So, it's winter here in chicago, and as some of you might be aware we get snow storms here every now and again... the class whiner has been carrying on for at least an hour and a half about how this person and that person is driving an says the roads are crap, and she's taking her "lunch" late and just going home...(and that's a long lunch she's planning as well) not sure how much longer before i snap at her...

I now return you to your regular programming...

#81313 Feb 26, 2013
Ha, cabin fever is setting in...
Aisle Sitter wrote:
So, it's winter here in chicago, and as some of you might be aware we get snow storms here every now and again... the class whiner has been carrying on for at least an hour and a half about how this person and that person is driving an says the roads are crap, and she's taking her "lunch" late and just going home...(and that's a long lunch she's planning as well) not sure how much longer before i snap at her...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#81314 Feb 26, 2013
I will say that, at least here, it's a weird mix of rain, sleet, and snow that just sucks. I'm not really looking forward to driving home today. The salt trucks were out in full force this morning, but it was raining so hard I'm sure it just washed everthing away. *shrug* We'll see when the time comes, I guess. Thank goodness for all wheel drive.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81315 Feb 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's where "faith" comes in.
And that's where Sam, Tonka, and I point out that one's religion is largely determined according to where one is born and what the predominant religion is in that area or what your parents religion is.

To have faith in religion that you likely wouldn't have ANY faith in if we just change one variable in your life, i.e. where you were born or what your parent's religion is, is why we say this is not an exercise of critical thinking, especially when you consider the amount of time, effort, and money many people spend on religious pursuits.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#81316 Feb 26, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
Aw, go ahead and snap.

If they don't like driving in snow, they are free to move to Florida or buy a 4 wheel drive car.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

#81317 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
Your such a twit.
Calling someone an idiot because they believe in limiting how many guns another person should own, is in no way comparable to calling someone an idiot because you dont like their religious choice.
If you cant see that, maybe its time you emptied your brain and tried filling it up again.
<quoted text>
My apologies, I was not aware that you are the decider of when one can and cannot criticize someone else's choice?

Wait, I am starting to see a trend. Say something Race agrees with, it's o.k. to call the opposition an idiot. Say something Race disagrees with, it's not o.k. to be at all critical of the opposing viewpoint. In other words, Race can dish it out but he can't take it. Now I've got it!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81318 Feb 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
And that color is SO YOU, Sub!
Python? As in Monty or the snake?

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#81319 Feb 26, 2013
Just got back from lunch at Keefer's, had the lobster bisque and the lobster blt. Totally worth going out in the snow for.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#81320 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
And I say she is standing on semantics, and she really means that people who have a faith are dumb for having faith, and even dumber if the have the same one their parents do.
She is trying to split hairs and appear polite about calling some people stupid.
And I dont care if she disputes that, because you wont change my mind about her intent.
<quoted text>
That's your persecution complex talking.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#81321 Feb 26, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
Every office has one of those, and they are in full revelry today. A few people here have already sarcastically asked our if she just moved here from down south which only provokes her to escalate. "Oh I just bet the trains are going to be delayed and my husband is going to be late picking me up and I just know the neighbors aren't going to shovel their full half of the driveway and blah blah blah."

I feel your pain. Good luck. If you do snap, make it YouTube-worthy.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81322 Feb 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I will say that, at least here, it's a weird mix of rain, sleet, and snow that just sucks. I'm not really looking forward to driving home today. The salt trucks were out in full force this morning, but it was raining so hard I'm sure it just washed everthing away.*shrug* We'll see when the time comes, I guess. Thank goodness for all wheel drive.
Some towns spread a slurry of molasses and salt that spreads farther, coats better and doesn't use as much salt.

Nonetheless- Yuk

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#81323 Feb 26, 2013
Mine is the "come in late, gab for an hour, take a long lunch, leave early and complain about how busy/how much she has to do" variety... and when she's "really busy" she snaps at others and is really rude to tehm for no reason (like she ever has one).

#81324 Feb 26, 2013
But you cant say that it is or isn't because you just dont know.
If 80% in a demographic is a particular religion, you cannot say that they all failed to use critical thinking when choosing that religion. Nor can you say that any one of their children fails to use critical thinking if they choose to also accept that religion.

I dont believe that if each person were to take a crash course in world religions, the the #'s would magically blend into a perfect pie chart of religions, with each religion having an equal # of followers.

Yes, parents, tradition, friends all play a role, but you cannot blindly say that because someone has the faith of their community, they have failed to think, or analyze, or whatever you want to call it.

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's where Sam, Tonka, and I point out that one's religion is largely determined according to where one is born and what the predominant religion is in that area or what your parents religion is.
To have faith in religion that you likely wouldn't have ANY faith in if we just change one variable in your life, i.e. where you were born or what your parent's religion is, is why we say this is not an exercise of critical thinking, especially when you consider the amount of time, effort, and money many people spend on religious pursuits.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81325 Feb 26, 2013
It's snowing like crazy in the Loop. It didn't start here, though, until around noon or so.

Where I live it started around 10:30 this morning and has been really snowing ever since.

It'll be interesting commute home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Truly evil folks 1 min Concern Citizen 5
News Four Dead in Bridgeview Head-On Collision (Jul '14) 11 min MyNameIsToby 75
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Justus von Liebig 194,598
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Quirky 1,263,787
Chicago One Direction concert on the 23rd! 2 hr Tristascottcom 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 54,323
Sasitorn boonsin 4 hr donna 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages