Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81274 Feb 26, 2013
It lasted only one season? Wow, I had no idea. That should be an easy show to watch in a short time, then.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#81275 Feb 26, 2013
Even if they dropped in for say, a day or just overnight, it would be infinitely less stressful for me than them showing up an hour after I get off work on Friday and staying until 9:00 Sunday night.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81276 Feb 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It lasted only one season? Wow, I had no idea. That should be an easy show to watch in a short time, then.
Yeah, and then there's Undeclared, which has a lot of the same people and also lasted a season, maybe two. Also pretty good. It's no Freaks and Geeks, though.

F&G, could, I guess be classified as a drama, but it doesn't take itself too seriously. The kids are *roughly* high school age for the most part. Also, fantastic soundtrack. It's set in 1980-ish. I feel like it's the most realistic show about high school.

Location hidden

#81277 Feb 26, 2013
And that's someone sleeping on your couch both nights/mornings. That is what would make me say "no." I want my living room when I want my living room.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81278 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
RACE wrote:
She is not raising a point, she is simply saying that people who have a faith are too dumb to think for themselves.
No, that's what you want to put in her mouth. She's said it over and over. A person who was raised in a certain religion is most likely going to remain a member of that religion. That's fact. You want to read insult.
sam wrote....
but my criticism comes in when they are of a certain faith just because of tradition and not because of any critical thinking, including the consideration of other faiths.
Sorry tonka, but I dont believe sam has the "right" to "Judge" or Critisize" anyones religious choices
To even suggest that you can denounce another's religious beliefs based upon your own personal standard is an example of extreme arrogance.
Sure, he can have his opinion, but it should be stated as such, not projected as final fact or authority.
Or an opinion.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#81279 Feb 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
She came and visited us for a long weekend at the end of January for her 30th. I freaked out then, because no sooner do we ship the SIL and fiance back to school and she's like "I want to come stay for a week." Ended up to be a really fun time, and only 3.5 days or so, but leading up to it, I was freaking the hell out. So J knows it's not *just* his sister.
We had a more rational discussion of it yesterday. I think we're closer to an understanding. I don't know if that's going to accomplish anything, but I feel like I'm being heard a little bit.
Awesome. That has to help.

Location hidden

#81280 Feb 26, 2013
I have to admit, I love houseguests. :D

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81282 Feb 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And that's someone sleeping on your couch both nights/mornings. That is what would make me say "no." I want my living room when I want my living room.
Yuuuup...I'm all about my mornings. It wasn't *so* bad when it was just SIL, since she has her own room.

I was courteous for a bit while they were here over Christmas break, but after about 5 days, I just stopped giving a sh1t about making noise. The couch-surfer sleeps in the front formal living room, so my TV is still free. And when they're too stupid to block off the living room with dog gates, the dogs go jump on them and I let them.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81283 Feb 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I have to admit, I love houseguests.:D
Yanno, we really never had them when I was a kid at all.

We had a guest room in the basement, but there's no bathroom down there (we had one bathroom), so both sets of my grandparents would just get a hotel room. I had sleepovers once in a while, but I was the type that would rather go to someone else's house than have them at mine.

And then once I moved out, I'd have my parents or my sister over for like one night here and there, but not very often.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#81284 Feb 26, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
But I can't think of a good way to say, don't come around so often.
"I think you are cheating yourself of some great opportunities. College is so much more than what you learn in the classroom, and I want to encourage you to spend one entire month on campus, getting out and experiencing something completely new each weekend. Then come home and tell us all about it. At least one of those weekends should be something all by yourself, with people you have never met before."

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#81285 Feb 26, 2013
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
"I think you are cheating yourself of some great opportunities. College is so much more than what you learn in the classroom, and I want to encourage you to spend one entire month on campus, getting out and experiencing something completely new each weekend. Then come home and tell us all about it. At least one of those weekends should be something all by yourself, with people you have never met before."
I absolutely LOVE this answer. And it's so true, too.

Location hidden

#81286 Feb 26, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
True. However, IMO (not that my opinion really counts here) they should pay for it their own damn selves. They wanna be all grown up and get married, then they should be the ones paying. My parents never paid for a wedding/reception, though they did buy a cake one time, but that was because THEY wanted to.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. But if it comes up, I think it should be only in that context...you are adults, and you should finance your own dreams. From what I've read here in the past, I suspect it will be along the lines of "boo hoo hoo...I WANT to give my little girl a dream wedding, but I'm disabled and so poor, and I can't give her the things I've dreamed of giving her" - another opportunity for everything to be about her, when in reality, if it were really important to her, she could find a way to set some cash aside and do something for her daughter.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#81287 Feb 26, 2013
Thats the point, she does not express it as an opinion, but rather stands in judgement.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Or an opinion.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81288 Feb 26, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto this, Sgt. Solid advice all around, y'all.

Location hidden

#81289 Feb 26, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Our daughter, the social butterfly, hit the ground running when she got to campus and I swear she knew everyone within the first two weeks. When she did come home, she had lots of friends to see as well as spending time with her bio-mom so it was never an issue with her. Our son, though, is much more reserved, and we really had to push him to get out and meet people, and this is one tactic we used. He didn't like the idea, and was very uncomfortable, but he did it, and it worked.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

#81290 Feb 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>got distracted while posting this. not sure if it went thru. granted their situation is not typical, bit their place was her home. did you need an invite from your parents to go home?
To things like the party that M mentioned. The SIL saw an invite to M and basically invited herself along.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#81291 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
See! Cant wait to disparage anything to do with my religious beliefs. What and why I chose my belief system is not for your "entertainment". See how very, very shallow you are. Thanks for being true to your hatred.
<quoted text>
I characterized the manner in which you arrived at your you current religious framework. You chastized me for not actually knowing, but you didn't say that I was wrong or right, and I invited you to clarify. Without you clarifying, your "you don't know" comment is pretty stupid and worthless.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#81292 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
She is not raising a point, she is simply saying that people who have a faith are too dumb to think for themselves. <quoted text>
This is where you're "My hatred to Sam precludes me from being rational" shines through. Nowhere in here have I said that people who have faith are dumb or are too dumb to think for themselves. Nowhere. Apparently you interned at Fox News and learned that if you say something enough people will start to believe it. I criticized people who came to a faith without any exploration or critical thinking. It has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence and everything with using what intelligence you have to explore and investigate. You're not dumb because you are a person of faith, you are dumb because you can't understand the difference.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#81293 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
Sorry tonka, but I dont believe sam has the "right" to "Judge" or Critisize" anyones religious choices
To even suggest that you can denounce another's religious beliefs based upon your own personal standard is an example of extreme arrogance.
Hey dum dum, I am not criticizing anyone's religious choice. I am criticizing the lack of a choice, the failure to explore/consider anything beyond that which was handed down to you.

As far as stating things as my opinion and not as a given or a fact, look in the mirror, bub. You are the king of "My way or the highway." Hypocrite, heal thyself.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#81294 Feb 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Even if they dropped in for say, a day or just overnight, it would be infinitely less stressful for me than them showing up an hour after I get off work on Friday and staying until 9:00 Sunday night.
I agree that would be the worst part. M needs some decompression time from the week, amiright?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min shinningelectr0n 1,156,799
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 min JOEL 71,314
amy 12-29 11 min Mister Tonka 3
abby 12-29 11 min not a ghost 2
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 14 min KiMerde 51,308
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 17 min not a ghost 1,328
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min loose cannon 182,325
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:54 am PST

ESPN 6:54AM
Bears fire GM, sources say; Trestman too?
NFL 6:58 AM
Chicago Bears fire Marc Trestman
Bleacher Report 7:23 AM
Bears Right to Clean House; Breaking Down Next Steps
ESPN 7:25 AM
Sources: Bears fire both Emery, Trestman
Yahoo! Sports 7:28 AM
Bills quarterback Orton retires