“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#81250 Feb 25, 2013
Except the part about being good in sales. I'd starve if I had to convince people to buy stuff from me.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#81251 Feb 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
New term. I like it.
I thought you might.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#81252 Feb 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Except the part about being good in sales. I'd starve if I had to convince people to buy stuff from me.
Me too. Or have a nervous breakdown.

But the author seemed to think we're all salespeople, selling ourselves or getting people to do what we want. You do a pretty good job of doing that here.

Oh, I found where Dickie wrote the book title down (he's gonna use it to look like the smarty pants at work).

To Sell is Human by David Pink

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81253 Feb 25, 2013
I've had a few salespeople tr to hire me. I love talking to strangers.

I have no desire to sell stuff to people, meet quotas, etc.

I was raised Lutheran. We quit going to church when I was 10. My mom loves to sleep in on the weekends. Church interfered with that. But she became lutheran(from catholic) to marry my dad. that religion didn't mean much to her. If dad had become catholic, I'm sure we would have been raised catholic and we would have kept going to church longer.

Then around age 20 I met and dated a Jew just as I was starting to be interested in being a part of a religious community. I knew I didn't believe in Jesus, so Judaism was a logical leap. I took a year of Hebrew classes and a year of Judaism clases and converted.

Within a few years, I no longer believed any of the Jude's Christian belief system. Looked into Buddhism. It offers a lot and is by far my forte religion, and s
One of the least harmful of the major religions.

Now I'm nothing but human and I'm very comfortable with that.

Location hidden

#81254 Feb 25, 2013
Judeo Christian, rather. iPad autocorrect.

Location hidden

#81255 Feb 25, 2013
On to lighter fare....
I watched the whole oscars show last night. I rarely see an Oscar movie so now I'm thinking of trying to watch movies alone at home.
Or tv shows. I never saw freaks and geeks. So ma ny cast members have gone on to have good careers. Did anyone here watch it?

Location hidden

#81256 Feb 25, 2013
Heck today's Carolyn hax column today is about a woman who can't marry her boyfriend because she needs a partner who shares her belief system and her boyfriend is an atheist. I just now saw a recent comment from someone saying that she was raised catholic and did confirmation at 13 because that's what you do. I remember the catholic kids in my public junior high being rounded up to head to catechism class, to be bussed together in another town, after school, once a week. No schools had sports events on Thursday nights because that was catechism night for everyone.

There really wasn't a choice. If you were catholic and your parents signed you up, you went.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#81257 Feb 25, 2013
wow you guys were busy today...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81258 Feb 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's what you want to put in her mouth. She's said it over and over. A person who was raised in a certain religion is most likely going to remain a member of that religion. That's fact. You want to read insult.
You were raised as some sort of Christian. Besides slim and none, what were the chances of you ever becoming a Jew? A Muslim? Sure, at confirmation, you CHOSE to remain a part of the church, but did you really?
<quoted text>
No, I admit that that is what the sacrament of confirmation is billed as. But I don't really buy it. At 13, you're joust sticking with the curriculum.
<quoted text>
To an extent, yes. I never thought about it. I just went with what I was taught. Once I left home, going to church tapered off real quick. I still identify as catholic, not because I made any choice, but simply because I don't give it much thought.
<quoted text>
Sure they can. Never said they couldn't.
<quoted text> Sure. Why not.
<quoted text>
No. I'm just apthetic. Don't care that much.
Does that make me the exception that proves the rule? What about my older daughter who went to Sunday school from K-8thgrade, went though Confirmation class and decided she chose not to make a profession of faith? Its been 13 years and she shows no sign of following the path that our church laid out.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#81259 Feb 25, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Does that make me the exception that proves the rule? What about my older daughter who went to Sunday school from K-8thgrade, went though Confirmation class and decided she chose not to make a profession of faith? Its been 13 years and she shows no sign of following the path that our church laid out.
You tell me? Do you think she's the exception or the rule? Do you think Race is giving typical 13 year olds too much credit in making this CHOICE or have I not given them enough
eww

Anonymous Proxy

#81261 Feb 25, 2013
it stinks in here
eww

Anonymous Proxy

#81262 Feb 25, 2013
chittown is right
eww

Anonymous Proxy

#81263 Feb 25, 2013
flush once in awhile

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#81264 Feb 26, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#81265 Feb 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Matilda(or jam) made some comment about having to entertain him. I don't see it that way. If I have visitors, I don't feel any need to entertain them. In-laws, parents, sister, cousin, whoever. They are just exra people who happen to be under my roof for some period of time. I go about my normal business. I don't play host. If I have a game to watch, guess what, they can watch too. Another set of eyes in the room is not going to bother me. But I am not responsible for entertaining you. I say this mainly about family. And if family brings someone with them, that's their job to entertain, not mine.
Totally agree. Maybe Matilda would deal with their occasional visits better if she didn't feel a need to "entertain" them. They're quite capable of entertaining themselves.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81266 Feb 26, 2013
Good morning all! My birthday is over and this morning I get to take my four year old to the dentist to have 2 cavities filled. Can we turn back the clock to yesterday?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81267 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
You guys keep saying that a 13 cant really choose, but they can. They choose to join a church, like they choose to join the football team. They may not last in that church or on that team, but its never a lifetime commitment unless you choose to make it one. The kid can always join another church, or switch to the basketball team. But they are indeed making that choice, no matter how little or fully educated about all the choices available.
Let me put it this way -- at 13 can you choose where you live? If not, you are dependent upon those who supply that roof and therefore a lot of your choices.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81268 Feb 26, 2013
Squishy -- that name of the personality between introvert and extrovert does seem perfectly Tonka.

Jess -- I hope you enjoyed your birthday.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#81269 Feb 26, 2013
Ok, but then why do they stay in it? At some point they must have considered leaving?
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
But there are families and fAith communities tha are overbearing and deviating from their expectations would not be accepted. Kids figure this put early on.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#81270 Feb 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
She is not raising a point, she is simply saying that people who have a faith are too dumb to think for themselves.

No, that's what you want to put in her mouth. She's said it over and over. A person who was raised in a certain religion is most likely going to remain a member of that religion. That's fact. You want to read insult.

sam wrote....

but my criticism comes in when they are of a certain faith just because of tradition and not because of any critical thinking, including the consideration of other faiths.

Sorry tonka, but I dont believe sam has the "right" to "Judge" or Critisize" anyones religious choices
To even suggest that you can denounce another's religious beliefs based upon your own personal standard is an example of extreme arrogance.

Sure, he can have his opinion, but it should be stated as such, not projected as final fact or authority.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
amerikkkan gov bans bakesales 7 min real american 1
Need a business partner. 12 min real american 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min Grey Ghost 1,141,399
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min loose cannon 180,605
quit quoting from bible 17 min hands on AR 1
Who were the biggest White Gangs? (Apr '10) 53 min hands on AR 42
NO CANADA OIL to TX-OK! 1 hr hands on AR 2
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Predictions for Bears' Week 12 Matchup
NBC Sports 7:46 AM
Jay Cutler wants to keep on rolling (out)
NBC Sports11:16 AM
Colts rule out Dwayne Allen and Gosder Cherilus
NBC Sports12:50 PM
Rob Gronkowski fined $8,268 for bouncer move
NFL 1:30 PM
Colt McCoy 'pushing' Robert Griffin III, Gruden says