Comments
80,101 - 80,120 of 97,934 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#81195 Feb 25, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Go back and look at my response to you in post #81129. Utilization versus capacity. Asked and answered, my obtuse friend, asked and answered.
Now you're wanting to change meanings of words based on "capacity."

Do you deny suggesting that people have a religion solely based on the fact they were brought up with one in particular?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#81196 Feb 25, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Most folks just mindlessly go along with it.
This again? What is it you and Sam are unable to comprehend?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#81197 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
sam says that people who "adopt" the religion they are presented with are not using their brains. Now, that does not mean your stupid ya see,just that your not using your brain. I dont want to put words in her mouth, but I guess she might be saying you are being "Willfully ignorant"?
sam says that you need to examine other religions (but she does not say what you should be looking for, so good luck with that). Then after meditation and consideration, and weighing the pro's and cons of each religious practice, then (and only then) will you have used your brain in a manner that she agrees with, and you are free to follow any faith you choose.
But to like your current faith without sampling others is just crazy. How can you like vanilla if you have never tried strawberry?
<quoted text>
Sticks and stones and all that.

I have thought about other religions and the church I was confirmed in actively encouraged us to look at other faiths before we chose chritianity. I was tempted by the Baha'i's...

But as I grew older and saw how most religions were twisted by their formal organizations, I drifted away from an actual church or belief. I try to live by the Golden Rule and strive to see the holy spirit in everyone I encounter, which seems to come close to Ethical Humanism, and that seems to be working for me.

Now my kids go to the church of my FIL, and I suppose that's just a lazy way out for me to get my kids some religious foundations. I hope they make good friends in the youth group, like both Dickie and I did. I hope they keep an open mind and make their own choices, like Dickie and I did. I hope that they will look on my MIL as an excellent example of kindness in this world and what a powerful impact one person who cares can have.

But I don't judge people by their faith, I judge them by their actions.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#81198 Feb 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell to the no. You want to play grown up, then you can pay for it. We might spring for a decent photographer as our gift to them, but other than that...
One of her friends from church is getting married this summer and is taking a frugal route--wedding and reception at the church, pot luck meal, Wal-Mart cake, and I think that's what my SIL is thinking of doing. Should be doable if they both get jobs. No alcohol...*gasp!*:-/ Of course, neither will be old enough to drink anyway...
How confident are you that the wedding will actually take place? How big do you think it will be? Better make sure J doesn't offer to have the wedding and reception at your place.(j/k)

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#81199 Feb 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're wanting to change meanings of words based on "capacity."
Do you deny suggesting that people have a religion solely based on the fact they were brought up with one in particular?
What words am I trying to change the meaning of? Not using one's brain is different from having one that don't work so good. I don't see how that's such a difficult distinction to grasp.

And no, I don't deny that at all. In fact, that's exactly the point I have been making. Many people believe what they believe simply because that is what was passed on to them by their parents. And kids in India are Hindu because that is what their parents passed on to them. And so on. They are not Hindu because they compared Hinduism to Christianity to whatever. Just like Race isn't Christian because he compared Hinduism to Christianity and chose Christianity. He's Christian because that's what his parents were and he just rolled with it.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#81200 Feb 25, 2013
Well, I give you credit for not denying it.

And please quit acting like your 6 and saying that what you post is ok because someone else says worse. GTFU, put your nuts back on and man up.

Besides, you get more empty light bulbs than me.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are hilarious. And either ignorant or stupid. For you of all people to accuse someone else of debasing and to be so offended by someone having a different opinion/disagreeing with someone else's value system is RIDICULOUS. You are one of the angriest, most vitriolic posters in here when it comes to disagreeing with someone, and you're going to act so bothered because I dare to criticize the manner in which some people end up following a religion? You are a joke.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#81201 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
Why is it necessary to shop around for a religion? They all offer eternal salvation
The Jewish religion doesn't.

Neda, stay with me!

#81202 Feb 25, 2013
Funny line you have there. Criticize any aspect of someone's religious framework that's o.k. Wish cancer on someone, and that's bad karma.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny line you have there. Wish cancer on someone, that's o.k. Criticize any aspect of their religious framework and that's bad karma.

Neda, stay with me!

#81203 Feb 25, 2013
Now how on earth would you know that?
Oh, right it's because thats what you did, and since you did that everyone has done that. Great to know you are the "world's standard"

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like Race isn't Christian because he compared Hinduism to Christianity and chose Christianity. He's Christian because that's what his parents were and he just rolled with it.

Neda, stay with me!

#81204 Feb 25, 2013
They don't? Cant jews get into heaven?
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jewish religion doesn't.

Evanston IL

#81205 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
They don't? Cant jews get into heaven?
<quoted text>
I thought they could. Isn't that why they have specially trained people to go hunting for all the body parts when there has been a bombing? The deceased can't go to heaven if all his parts aren't there.

But I'm sure PEllen will weigh in on this with a more authoritative answer.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81207 Feb 25, 2013
Wikipedia will have to do until PEllen chimes in:

"Traditional Judaism firmly believes that death is not the end of human existence. However, because Judaism is primarily focused on life here and now rather than on the afterlife, Judaism does not have much dogma about the afterlife, and leaves a great deal of room for personal opinion. It is possible for an Orthodox Jew to believe that the souls of the righteous dead go to a place similar to the Christian heaven, or that they are reincarnated through many lifetimes, or that they simply wait until the coming of the messiah, when they will be resurrected. Likewise, Orthodox Jews can believe that the souls of the wicked are tormented by demons of their own creation, or that wicked souls are simply destroyed at death, ceasing to exist."

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#81208 Feb 25, 2013
Oops. It wasn't Wikipedia. It was Judaism 101. Link: http://www.jewfaq.org/olamhaba.htm

Evanston IL

#81209 Feb 25, 2013
Just got off an el car that was occupied by the stinkiest people. One guy's breath smelled like poo, which was tolerable until he got on the phone. Someone had some Mexican take-out that wafted over the inexplicable odor of pumpkin guts.

I was very glad that I had to transfer trains. No way could I have taken that for the next half an hour.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#81210 Feb 25, 2013
Nothing like gun talk to get off the religious kick.

"What Researchers Learned About Gun Violence Before Congress Killed Funding

"One of the critical studies that we supported was looking at the question of whether having a firearm in your home protects you or puts you at increased risk. This was a very important question because people who want to sell more guns say that having a gun in your home is the way to protect your family.

What the research showed was not only did having a firearm in your home not protect you, but it hugely increased the risk that someone in your family would die from a firearm homicide. It increased the risk almost 300 percent, almost three times as high."

Link: http://www.propublica.org/article/what-resear...

Neda, stay with me!

#81211 Feb 25, 2013
Which is why firearm safety needs to be taught in schools.
Toj wrote:
"One of the critical studies that we supported was looking at the question of whether having a firearm in your home protects you or puts you at increased risk. This was a very important question because people who want to sell more guns say that having a gun in your home is the way to protect your family.
What the research showed was not only did having a firearm in your home not protect you, but it hugely increased the risk that someone in your family would die from a firearm homicide. It increased the risk almost 300 percent, almost three times as high."

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81212 Feb 25, 2013
I saw a poster at a rally that quotes the "well regulated militia" part of the 2nd amendment, meaning it supported more gun control. But I am a citizen, I am not the militia. I would think it refers more accurately to the armed forces.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#81213 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
Why?
Why cant I tell an atheist that they cant NOT believe until they have studied all religions and then reject them all. How many atheists even know what a church or religion is all about? They only see the surface. Of course I am talking about the atheists who were never members of a church, not the ones who left theirs.
And why must a person research different religions? If you experience one, and it "Feels" right then why bother? Why should picking a religion be equated with buying a car?
<quoted text>
I'm not saying this to be insulting. I'm saying this as a matter of fact. Most religious people do not CHOOSE their faith/religion. Most people were raised in the church of their family. It has less go do with what "feels right" as you put it and more to do with what you've been taught your whole life and is therefore familiar. What percentage of religious people convert to another religion? I'd bet the number is quite low. I include myself in that group. Jess asked me why I consider myself catholic if i don't go to church. Its what I was raised to believe and I never really felt a need to question it. I would probably feel the same way if my last name was Goldstein and I had a bah mitzvah instead of a confirmation

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#81214 Feb 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Totally not trying to steer the conversation away from religion but...quick poll:
Those of you that went away to college and stayed in a dorm, how often did you come home?
J and I had a blowout last night after SIL and her fiance left--SIL has been home at least once a month since she left for school. Since November, she's had her fiance with her every time, which means there's somebody sleeping in my living room every morning. I'm tired of houseguests. J doesn't see how it's an inconvenience. They come home Friday evening--about an hour after I get home from work and leave right as I'm about to go to bed Sunday night. That's my entire weekend.
Blowup occurred after SIL saw an invite we got for a first birthday party for a friend's kid in three weeks. SIL's all "Oh, I'll have to come back for that!" J's all "Yeah!"
Granted, they go out and do stuff when they're here, and I have my own social life, but fuuuuuuck. I don't want this go on for the next 3.5 years. I'm TIRED, y'all. Am I being unreasonable?
I'm the anti jamwow when it comes to housguests. To ME, you're being unreasonable. To ME, a once a month guest is no big deal. But, I'm like Lionel Richie. Easy like sunday morning.

As far as how often I came home? Holidays , if that. It was an 8 hour trip. F that noise.

Neda, stay with me!

#81215 Feb 25, 2013
The CDC hasn't pursued this kind of research since 1996 when the National Rifle Association lobbied Congress to cut funding for it, arguing that the studies were politicized and being used to promote gun control.

Nope! No bias in that interview is there? Oh, and there are no actual stats either, just something someone said.
Toj wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 28 min wojar 177,385
Diversity is a codeword for white genocide 29 min 587uioy 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr J RULES 68,991
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Brian_G 46,316
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 2 hr SLY WEST 299
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 2 hr SLY WEST 7,749
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr SLY WEST 570
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr Yeah 1,100,230
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE