Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81152 Feb 25, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch her finish school and move back to your area, and she'll be over at your place all the time.
SHe'll be with you for the whole summer this year, I assume?
Are you TRYING to get Matilda depressed? ;)

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#81153 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
I dont know about your confirmation, but mine was a formal acceptance of the religion. Maybe you need to learn what a confirmation is first
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation
Here is a quote In Protestant churches, the rite tends to be seen rather as a mature statement of faith by an already baptised person. It is also required by most Protestant denominations for membership in the respective church, in particular for traditional Protestant churches. In traditional Protestant churches (Presbyterian, Methodist, Lutheran etc.) it is recognized by a coming of age ceremony.
Perhaps you mean that you felt you had no choice but to accept that religion. So for you, choosing was no choice at all. Your loss.
And as for your criticism of people being a certain faith...
If two peeps belong to a church, one was born and raised in that faith, the other was a godless heathen who wandered the world learning many religions and finally settling on this same faith, what is your criticism? Who do you criticize? Why?
<quoted text>
Um, I know what confirmation is. And you continue to miss the point. Confirmation is just a continuation of the acceptance of a tradition. I went through it when I was 13, and it was just part of the deal of going to church. I "chose" to go through confirmation in the same fashion that I "chose" to go to school. it was just part of the deal. As for your two people, I appreciate the second person on this issue as they came to their position after giving the matter consideration.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81154 Feb 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's my problem with saying something. She's not welcome at her parent's house, really. I mean, they'd say she was but their actions indicate the exact opposite. If she doesn't have our home, she has no home, and that's not really right. I just would like enough time to pass where I actually look forward to seeing her again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all that.
Where does the fiance live? Do they go there? I know her school. There are things to do that aren't that long a drive and don't cost much.

What if you put together an itinerary and fronted gas money?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#81155 Feb 25, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch her finish school and move back to your area, and she'll be over at your place all the time.
SHe'll be with you for the whole summer this year, I assume?
I think she'll be working at that summer camp again. So...like half of it. And I already made it known that Fiance isn't staying for any extended period of time.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81156 Feb 25, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does the fiance live? Do they go there? I know her school. There are things to do that aren't that long a drive and don't cost much.
What if you put together an itinerary and fronted gas money?
His family lives in NW Indiana, close to where I'm originally from.

I don't feel I should have to entertain two grown-ass adults. Plus, if they've got all this spare time to be spending weekends here, they should get jobs.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Cedar Grove, TN

#81157 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
So your not saying that people with faith are stupid, just that they act stupid because they have faith. What is your hangup with whether people in the same community practice the same faith?
<quoted text>
Again, twisting to promote argument. Show me where I said people of faith are stupid. <waiting> There is no "hang-up" with people in the same community practicing the same faith. It is a demonstration of the manner in which people end up practicing a particular faith. If they were getting there by considering options, etc., then there would not be this trend of 80+% in each community taking the same route.

You really can't handle your values being criticized, can you? Even by a stranger you really shouldnt' give a rip about.

And I notice you conveniently declined to answer my question about what your God would think about some of Mutt's vitriolic comments and what his opinion would be about your wishing painful, lingering death on someone. If you want this discussion to continue, you'll have to address that. I bet you won't!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#81158 Feb 25, 2013
So, because you were too timid to speak your mind, that means everyone was too? Cant you fathom that a person might actually look forward to being a full member of their church?
See sam, some people actually DO believe in the teaching of their church. You dont, so you are making generalizations of everyone else based upon your own personal experience.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, I know what confirmation is. And you continue to miss the point. Confirmation is just a continuation of the acceptance of a tradition. I went through it when I was 13, and it was just part of the deal of going to church. I "chose" to go through confirmation in the same fashion that I "chose" to go to school. it was just part of the deal. As for your two people, I appreciate the second person on this issue as they came to their position after giving the matter consideration.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81159 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
And many religions share core traits, be kind to kittens, obey your parents, help the needy...<quoted text>
They also have many things that are not in common. When it comes to many of them, they say if you don't believe these things that are particular to our religion, you aren't going to heaven or what have you, as well.

Also if being kind to kittens, obeying your parents, helping the needy were all that were needed for salvation, why do you need religion? Many non-religious folks share these values.
RACE wrote:
The major differences is how the religion is practiced. Yes there are also theological differences, and that relates to the history of the religion.
The difference between a jew and a christian is but a single man. They both have the same god.
<quoted text>
Jews don't believe any of the supernatural stuff that Jesus did, which makes people think he was the son of god. They just think he was an ordinary man who was a preacher and was executed by the Romans, no different than many other Jews who were executed by the Romans at that time. To say this is an insignificant difference of opinion, is not accurate, given that Christianity is so concerned with Jesus and his life and the supposed magical things he did.

Also, what about Hindus and Buddhists? They are nothing like Jews or Christians. IF you were born in China or India, you would likely be a Buddhist or a Hindu.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#81160 Feb 25, 2013
And around and around it goes. . .

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#81161 Feb 25, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
I never said people of faith are incapable of independent thought. Please show me where I did.
"Simply accepting what is laid out for you by someone else..."

You gonna try to back-pedal now?

Location hidden

#81162 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
No, you are bashing and wrapping it in a nice little bow.
You think people who have faith are lemmings, you try to say that since they have not sampled all the religions, they are just mindless drones. And you say this only because you feel superior to them and you want to mock them and their faith.
Your contempt for them is so apparent, and you are kidding only yourself in thinking yourself clever.
Or perhaps you would like to tell me how much respect you have for people who have found a faith, no matter how they found it.
Bet you wont!
<quoted text>
I have respect for lots of people who have faith. It has nothing to do with their faith, however.

Location hidden

#81163 Feb 25, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
I do count it as a knock against someone if they put more thought into which car to buy than into which religion to practice.
Bingo! What's more important, eternal salvation or buying a car? We all know the answer to this, but look at what 99.999999% of religious folks spend more time investigating and exploring? Is that logical? Is that critical thinking? C',mon.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81164 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>So, because you were too timid to speak your mind, that means everyone was too? Cant you fathom that a person might actually look forward to being a full member of their church?
See sam, some people actually DO believe in the teaching of their church. You dont, so you are making generalizations of everyone else based upon your own personal experience.
At Sam's church they were confirmed in 8th grade. I don't know that I would have been confident enough to speak up with conviction before 8th grade as I was after completing 9th grade. I really think the Churches do that on purpose, so they can "confirm" children before they start acting independently. I don't agree with that aspect and I think it is one of the reasons why many young adults are not attending Church regularly - because it was not their decision.

I'm not defending her words now because she can speak for herself.

Also, the Church I attended gave first communion in second grade, but waited until fourth grade to give first reconciliation (penance). I never understood that because you are supposed to go to confession before you can receive communion. I don't believe that all of the decisions made by the Catholic Church are non-secular.

Location hidden

#81165 Feb 25, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this is more the norm than folks being fearful that all hell would break loose, as in Toj's.

It's just what you do at a certain point in time when you've been raised to be a Christian and have known only that religion from birth. Most folks just mindlessly go along with it.

#81166 Feb 25, 2013
You said that they are not using their brains. Sounds suspiciously like calling them stupid to me.

Please show where I can't handle my values being criticized?

LOL! Is that all I have to do to get you to stop posting to me? Is it really that flipping simple?

I really would like it if you would stop posting to me, but I will answer you question.

My god tells me that saying hateful things to you is not in my best interest. She tells me that doing so makes me as small as you are, and if I ever want to evolve I need to learn that I am wasting my time and energy on negative influences. He tells me that to be close to God, I need to act like God. This means loving when a person is un-loveable, forgiving the unforgivable, and accepting that people such as yourself choose to remain stagnant in their lives, and I should not wallow in the mud with you when I should be walking the path with them.
She also tell me that it's ok, cause nobody is perfect, and we all wander off the path from time to time.

But can I still ask that you never post to me again?
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
and what his opinion would be about your wishing painful, lingering death on someone. If you want this discussion to continue, you'll have to address that. I bet you won't!

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Cedar Grove, TN

#81167 Feb 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
"Simply accepting what is laid out for you by someone else..."
You gonna try to back-pedal now?
Go back and look at my response to you in post #81129. Utilization versus capacity. Asked and answered, my obtuse friend, asked and answered.

#81168 Feb 25, 2013
But do you respect their faith? Sam does not, she ridicules it.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have respect for lots of people who have faith. It has nothing to do with their faith, however.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#81169 Feb 25, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you TRYING to get Matilda depressed? ;)
Ha! Pretty much the first words out of my mouth (privately, to J) after they announced they were engaged were "They can't live here..."

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Cedar Grove, TN

#81170 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
So, because you were too timid to speak your mind, that means everyone was too? Cant you fathom that a person might actually look forward to being a full member of their church?
<quoted text>
I told you what you need to do to continue the conversation.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81171 Feb 25, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>Ha! Pretty much the first words out of my mouth (privately, to J) after they announced they were engaged were "They can't live here..."
Have they talked about the actual wedding and what their expectations are?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min red and right 1,174,087
BELLA ESMAIL MOORE are you ready to take a poly... 9 min ROMEL ESMAIL 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 33 min Rogue Scholar 05 183,921
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 37 min Chicken Little 50,463
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 38 min Red_Forman 5,387
Abby 1-30 1 hr Kuuipo 10
Word (Dec '08) 4 hr Red_Forman 4,969

Winter Storm Watch for Cook County was issued at January 30 at 3:35PM CST

Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News