“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81075 Feb 24, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>It sounds like he was a thinker and they couldn't answer his questions so they just resorted to "just because." That and just have faith doesn't work for a lot of folks.
Yup! My teachers encouraged us to ask questions (well, most of them). Yes, faith is still very important, but is not supposed to be used interchangeably for ignorance.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#81076 Feb 25, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#81077 Feb 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I just think it would be strange taking someone else's kid to church without asking or knowing ahead of time if they attend or if theit parents are ok with it.
I don't see anything strange about it at all. When I had sleepovers on a Saturday night, they would come to church with us on Sunday morning. No one thought anything of it. Figured they're at our house, so will follow our routine.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#81078 Feb 25, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
I would not approve of her indoctrinating (brain wash) our children
If you think believers are brainwashed and unable to think for themselves and instead blindly follow what they've been exposed to, that doesn't reflect very well on you.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#81079 Feb 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see anything strange about it at all. When I had sleepovers on a Saturday night, they would come to church with us on Sunday morning. No one thought anything of it. Figured they're at our house, so will follow our routine.
was it known that you were of the same faith? did you perhaps attend catholic school in which it could be safely assumed? it does not seem odd in that setting. but it would be strange to think nothing of taking a jewish kid to sunday mass or bringing a catholic kid to synagogue

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#81080 Feb 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think believers are brainwashed and unable to think for themselves and instead blindly follow what they've been exposed to, that doesn't reflect very well on you.
unless believers have donw some research on other religions, there is an element of truth to what he's saying. and i apply it to myself as well.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#81081 Feb 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
put this another way. would it have seemed normal to you if you slept over at your friend abduul's house and they took you to worship at their mosque on Sunday morning?

“reign in blood”

United States

#81082 Feb 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>put this another way. would it have seemed normal to you if you slept over at your friend abduul's house and they took you to worship at their mosque on Sunday morning?
Not at all. I had friends who were Catholic and went to their church often.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81083 Feb 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. I had friends who were Catholic and went to their church often.
COmpletely different. YOu were takign friends to a christian service. Catholics are Christian.

“reign in blood”

United States

#81084 Feb 25, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
COmpletely different. YOu were takign friends to a christian service. Catholics are Christian.
I see no difference whatsoever. Be it a mosque, synagogue, Budda temple, whatever.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#81085 Feb 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>put this another way. would it have seemed normal to you if you slept over at your friend abduul's house and they took you to worship at their mosque on Sunday morning?
Just because it's Monday...

The "holy" day in a mosque (masjid) is Friday. j/s

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#81086 Feb 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> abduul's
Also because it's Monday, and because I don't get to show this knowlegde off too often....

"Abdul" is not a full name. There is always an add on ("Abdulnaim" Abdulwahed" "Abdulhak" etc.) "Abdul" means "Servant or slave of" and the second part is one of the "99 names of god."

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#81087 Feb 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So sayeth the king of independent thinking....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#81088 Feb 25, 2013
Why are these mutually exclusive?
Done right, you get both.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>

Should religion be about making yourself feel good or about salvation? If it's about making yourself feel good, then it's not really any different than any of the myriad of substances or activities that can do the same.

Neda, stay with me!

#81089 Feb 25, 2013
Why?
Why cant I tell an atheist that they cant NOT believe until they have studied all religions and then reject them all. How many atheists even know what a church or religion is all about? They only see the surface. Of course I am talking about the atheists who were never members of a church, not the ones who left theirs.

And why must a person research different religions? If you experience one, and it "Feels" right then why bother? Why should picking a religion be equated with buying a car?
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>unless believers have donw some research on other religions, there is an element of truth to what he's saying. and i apply it to myself as well.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Cedar Grove, TN

#81090 Feb 25, 2013
Miscellaneous:

And There Happen to be Drug Therapies Available Update:
Those who grieve for more than two weeks over a death are not merely sad but suffer from prolonged grieving disorder.

иии
News Presented Without Comment:
Jermaine Jackson has changed his name to Jermaine Jacksun for "artistic reasons."

иии
What Passes for Miracles These Days Update:
An image of Jesus has been found in bird droppings on a car windshield in Brooklyn, Ohio.

иии
From the QT Archive of Knowledge:
+ There is no bourbon produced in Bourbon County, Ky.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81091 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
Why are these mutually exclusive?
Done right, you get both.
<quoted text>
How can it possibly be done right, when most folks basically pick the religion of their parents had or the one that is predominant in America, without giving much thought to learning about other religions?

Do you all really think you would be Christians if you were born in India or the Middle East? I bet out of all the folks who identify as being Christian on here, we'd be lucky if one of you were Christian if you were born in India or the Middle East, and even then it would likely be attributable to the fact that your parents were minority Christians.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#81092 Feb 25, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
I think the most important lessons that I learned at church, though, are love your neighbor as yourself and judge not lest ye be judged.
This. This right here is the basis for most religions.

Everything else is cultural. Unfortunately, it's the cultural stuff that gets peoples' blood boiling.

It's also how people can be good without god. The Golden Rule is really not that hard to follow.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#81093 Feb 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
Why?
And why must a person research different religions? If you experience one, and it "Feels" right then why bother? Why should picking a religion be equated with buying a car?
<quoted text>
And there it is. Why shop? Because then all you're doing is picking up a habit from someone else. No different than a family recipe or some other tradition. You do it because it's what you know and it's what you're comfortable with. By and large, religion-wise, people are whatever they're introduced to. There's no independent thought. If you're born into a Catholic family, you're Catholic. If you're born into a Jewish family, you're Jewish. If you're born in India, there's an 80% chance you're Hindu. If you're born in Ireland, there's an 87% chance you're Roman Catholic. If you're born in China, there's a 78% chance you're Buddhist. If you're born in the US, there's an 86% cance you're Christian. These religions all have meaningful differences, yet, people by and large just end up following the predominant religion of their community. If there was any real measure of independent thought and analysis, you wouldn't have country after country, region after region with 80% of its population subscribing to the same religion.

Neda, stay with me!

#81094 Feb 25, 2013
And many religions share core traits, be kind to kittens, obey your parents, help the needy...

The major differences is how the religion is practiced. Yes there are also theological differences, and that relates to the history of the religion.

The difference between a jew and a christian is but a single man. They both have the same god.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How can it possibly be done right, when most folks basically pick the religion of their parents had or the one that is predominant in America, without giving much thought to learning about other religions?
Do you all really think you would be Christians if you were born in India or the Middle East? I bet out of all the folks who identify as being Christian on here, we'd be lucky if one of you were Christian if you were born in India or the Middle East, and even then it would likely be attributable to the fact that your parents were minority Christians.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Scrutiny 178,113
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 17 min D-U-H 49,883
hy 39 min badstuber 1
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr James 68,516
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Petal Power 1,110,247
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Petal Power 46,744
Word (Dec '08) 3 hr andet1987 4,726
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info