Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>My mom took us to church, but my dad would actually say to me before we left "They are all a$$holes and full of $hit." I didn't go for years from the time I moved to NJ until about 7 years ago. He still says "I didn't raise you to be a church person." I took my grandparents to their church (Presbyterian) for a couple of years.

This was a decision I made as an adult both for the spiritual and the community aspects.
I don't think that was right of your father.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>This act would not bother me even though I don't go to church, however, it seems odd for 2 reasons. I just think it would be strange taking someone else's kid to church without asking or knowing ahead of time if they attend or if theit parents are ok with it. Did they assume is was ok? Did they assume your family goes to church? What if the friend sleeping over was hindu/jewish/muslim? Wonder if that would have made a difference.

The other thing that seems odd is clothes. While I never wore suits and stuff to church, the "nice" clothes I did wear was certainly not the type of clothes I'd be takiing to a sleepover. What did he wear?

Incidentally, someone's been talking to my kid bout God. Not sure who. He seems to have questions or comments about God quite a bit lately and wants to go to church. So we are going to go to church next Sunday. Will be first trip to church for me (other than weddings and baptisms) in over 10 years
No, they called before hand to ask of it was okay.

In terms of dress, that's more of a concern for them, than for us, as far as I'm concerned. Bambi is pretty particular about sending the boys with decent looking clothes and pajamas to school. It wasn't dress clothes, but not junky clothes either.

Me ... onetime my youngest went to school in a sweater vest ... He had a long sleeve shirt on under it at first, but sometime after getting dressed and leaving for the bus he decided he didn't want to wear the shirt under it. HE WENT TO SCHOOL LIKE THAT, and I didn't catch it before he left. You might be a redneck if... Bambi and me still laugh our butts off about that.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text> Bambi is pretty particular about sending the boys with decent looking clothes and pajamas to school. It wasn't dress clothes, but not junky clothes either..
I mention to say school and play dates. You know how women are and the pressure they put on themselves to be a good mom. Me, I just go through life by the seat of my pants, lol.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>They were the organization who objected to having a black opera singer at the Washington Memorial but that was the 1930's. My sisters MIL was a member:she said it was a nice ladies club, but Betty would be 94 if she were alive now.
If you qualify and want to be in a nice ladies club, make sure they have modernized their thoughts and go for it.
I hear you. That's why I was asking. I don't want to belong to anything that would discriminate or think they're better than everyone else. I imagine whatever group someone may join, their can be members who are like that but I'm thinking more in terms of the majority or the groups beliefs.

I think the history side of it is interesting and that's why I would be interested in DAR. Meeting the requirements isn't anything great or bad -- it's something I didn't do I was just born.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that was right of your father.
He had some pretty bad experiences with hypocritical Sunday school teachers and parents why discouraged questions but said that you go to church and follow doctrine "just because", so I don't blame him for his negative reactions to organized religion. He also waited until I was old enough to question authority before he started saying that and I found out that he never said those things to my brothers (who by the way have no desire to belong to an organized religion now, despite also being products of the same catholic high school).

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Choosing to be apart of a group for support or community as Jess said is at least logical.
It has no bearing on truth or even faith, however. It can also be detrimental to the pursuit of truth and seeking the true path to god, if that is something you believe in. This is so, just because you receive support or have a sense of community in your church this has no bearing on whether you are worshipping a true god or are conforming to god's wishes.
Should religion be about making yourself feel good or about salvation? If it's about making yourself feel good, then it's not really any different than any of the myriad of substances or activities that can do the same.
Personally, choices such as religion is about whatever the person wants to make it about. It's a personal choice and whether they choose to dive into research about it, what they get out of it, etc. is their perogative and I wouldn't question it. I don't think I have a right to question them.

To ask someone about their religion or why they are in it and what it's about to gain knowledge about that religion would be showing an interest and I see no problem with that.

Fine line, I know, but that's how I see it.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
In western society, especially in America, you are exposed to it. It's not only that, but what you aren't exposed to.
You may have made this choice when you were older, but did you consider following one of the many other religions of the world? Did you even take the time to learn of them, before going with the one you chose? You probably didn't because of cultural norms.
I find it fascinating that people are just so random in their choices of religion, especially given the amount of time, effort, and $$ they spend on them. Not to mention their belief in this notion of salvation in the afterlife.
Given what is at stake according to their beliefs, you would think folks would want to invest more effort in getting it right, exploring options, instead if being like, "Ahhh, I'm just gonna follow this one religion just cause most people in my part of the world do and I think this one is right ... even though I know almost absolutely nothing about the other religions of the world I'm choosing not to follow and couldn't possibly have an informed opinion about the matter for this reason."
I wouldn't call that critical thinking ... I dunno what it is. It's more akin to being a fan of your local professional sports team just because you live close to them. That may be okay for a leisure activity such as watching sports, but for a major aspect of someone's life and afterlife (according to religious folk's beliefs) it seems completely illogical to me.
I'm not going to argue or get defensive, I was just commenting on how it was for me. "Exposed" is a vague word... to use your sports analogy, many people have seen a baseball game but one doesn't understand the details or the point of the game until someone explains to them what's going on. FWIW, I had taken a world religions class in school prior to this.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Personally, choices such as religion is about whatever the person wants to make it about. It's a personal choice and whether they choose to dive into research about it, what they get out of it, etc. is their perogative and I wouldn't question it. I don't think I have a right to question them.
I never said it wasn't their prerogative. In fact I think I said folks are free to do what they wish. However folks are free to judge you. Freedom isn't a one way street.

Given the importance of religion in society, the amount of resources it consumes in our society, the horrible harms and divisiveness it generates in society, the fact that it historically has been imposed on folks, its natural that folks would analyze it more closely than say what your favorite color is.

That the thought process isn't favorable doesn't change any if this. Folks are free to ignore what is pointed out to them in this regard, but its a bit much to say folks can't state their opinion on the matter.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>He had some pretty bad experiences with hypocritical Sunday school teachers and parents why discouraged questions but said that you go to church and follow doctrine "just because", so I don't blame him for his negative reactions to organized religion. He also waited until I was old enough to question authority before he started saying that and I found out that he never said those things to my brothers (who by the way have no desire to belong to an organized religion now, despite also being products of the same catholic high school).
It sounds like he was a thinker and they couldn't answer his questions so they just resorted to "just because." That and just have faith doesn't work for a lot of folks.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>It sounds like he was a thinker and they couldn't answer his questions so they just resorted to "just because." That and just have faith doesn't work for a lot of folks.
Yup! My teachers encouraged us to ask questions (well, most of them). Yes, faith is still very important, but is not supposed to be used interchangeably for ignorance.

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

“Derecho”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
I just think it would be strange taking someone else's kid to church without asking or knowing ahead of time if they attend or if theit parents are ok with it.
I don't see anything strange about it at all. When I had sleepovers on a Saturday night, they would come to church with us on Sunday morning. No one thought anything of it. Figured they're at our house, so will follow our routine.

“Derecho”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
I would not approve of her indoctrinating (brain wash) our children
If you think believers are brainwashed and unable to think for themselves and instead blindly follow what they've been exposed to, that doesn't reflect very well on you.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see anything strange about it at all. When I had sleepovers on a Saturday night, they would come to church with us on Sunday morning. No one thought anything of it. Figured they're at our house, so will follow our routine.
was it known that you were of the same faith? did you perhaps attend catholic school in which it could be safely assumed? it does not seem odd in that setting. but it would be strange to think nothing of taking a jewish kid to sunday mass or bringing a catholic kid to synagogue

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think believers are brainwashed and unable to think for themselves and instead blindly follow what they've been exposed to, that doesn't reflect very well on you.
unless believers have donw some research on other religions, there is an element of truth to what he's saying. and i apply it to myself as well.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
put this another way. would it have seemed normal to you if you slept over at your friend abduul's house and they took you to worship at their mosque on Sunday morning?

“Derecho”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>put this another way. would it have seemed normal to you if you slept over at your friend abduul's house and they took you to worship at their mosque on Sunday morning?
Not at all. I had friends who were Catholic and went to their church often.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. I had friends who were Catholic and went to their church often.
COmpletely different. YOu were takign friends to a christian service. Catholics are Christian.

“Derecho”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
COmpletely different. YOu were takign friends to a christian service. Catholics are Christian.
I see no difference whatsoever. Be it a mosque, synagogue, Budda temple, whatever.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>put this another way. would it have seemed normal to you if you slept over at your friend abduul's house and they took you to worship at their mosque on Sunday morning?
Just because it's Monday...

The "holy" day in a mosque (masjid) is Friday. j/s

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 79,981 - 80,000 of97,417
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

95 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Yeah 1,071,345
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 22 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,533
Abby 7-10 24 min Kuuipo 7
Show your indie spirit on Chicago's first Indep... 31 min reading is queer 1
Amy 7-10 48 min Kuuipo 4
Four Dead in Bridgeview Head-On Collision 1 hr In Your Face 66
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr well 48,674
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••