Comments
79,941 - 79,960 of 97,936 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#81035 Feb 23, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Red Apple is really in the wrong section. The name says it. Its Ale. Should be in the beer section.
Ale is a type of beer. I buy ales for Nick, they are kept with the lagers, stouts, IPAs, etc.

Location hidden

#81036 Feb 23, 2013
White man with swastikas didn't want black nurses taking care of his newborn.

http://www.twincities.com/national/ci_2265111...

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#81037 Feb 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Ale is a type of beer. I buy ales for Nick, they are kept with the lagers, stouts, IPAs, etc.
I know. Tht's why I said it should be in the beer section.
:)

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#81038 Feb 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I have a friend who married a guy who first was a county deputy then became a state trooper. Glasses/contacts aren't allowed -- you have to get lasik to become a cop. And then once you're in, you can completely let yourself go.
That's why my husband has LASIK. Vision had to be no worse than 20/100 without corrective lenses and his was 20/400.

They don't require any physical tests after you are in, but you have to qualify several times a year at the shooting range.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81039 Feb 23, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
So, this afternoon is Polar Plunge. My MIL didn't go last year and she just backed out for this year. Seriously...it's a 2 mile drive to watch your kid jump in some water and then you go back home. Yes, it's cold out; that's what winter clothes are for. I'm not surprised but SIL is disappointed. Again.
Did you go with her? It was raining here, so we didn't have as many spectators as usual. The water temp was 37, probably warmer than by you :)

Unfortunately I had a migraine because of the air pressure, but I still did the plunge and then picked up some Thai food on the way home to help warm me up (medium spicy).

Location hidden

#81040 Feb 23, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I know. Tht's why I said it should be in the beer section.
:)
I completely misunderstod what you had psoted. My own fautl.:)

Jess: My thai food is a 2 ona 5 scale and I think my ass will be on fire tomorrow. Nick: "Why did you think you could handle a 2?"

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81041 Feb 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I completely misunderstod what you had psoted. My own fautl.:)

Jess: My thai food is a 2 ona 5 scale and I think my ass will be on fire tomorrow. Nick: "Why did you think you could handle a 2?"
I had two friends who used to order 5 and ask for extra peppers on the side. They would turn red and sweat as they were eating, but would be smiling the whole time.

I can handle 3, but the place I order from now doesn't ask for numbers. I tell them medium spicy and there is just the right amount of heat and flavor in the Pad See Ew for me.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81042 Feb 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely misunderstod what you had psoted. My own fautl.:)
We had a friend who was in Viet Nam who introduced us to Thai food when I was still in college- pre 1971. His advice was to always eat ice cream afterwards so that the next morning you could cheer C'mon, ice cream, c'mon ice cream.

We have some really good Thai around here. I have some of the seasonings in the house. Those have kept me going in the diet- Chicken broth with (legal) vegetables and a couple dollops of Thai Red Curry paste does a very good job of making me feel full and warm. The stuff is not Indian curry tasting

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#81043 Feb 23, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>Did you go with her? It was raining here, so we didn't have as many spectators as usual. The water temp was 37, probably warmer than by you :)

Unfortunately I had a migraine because of the air pressure, but I still did the plunge and then picked up some Thai food on the way home to help warm me up (medium spicy).
Yeah, we went and held their stuff and took pictures. Was a very good turnout all around. SIL's fiancé lost his glasses in the water. It was warmer out than last year, but it's been a colder winter overall so the water was colder.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81044 Feb 23, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, we went and held their stuff and took pictures. Was a very good turnout all around. SIL's fiancé lost his glasses in the water. It was warmer out than last year, but it's been a colder winter overall so the water was colder.
I know we say this a lot, but you and J are awesome!

Location hidden

#81045 Feb 23, 2013
My computer is down. Major virus shit going on. Need to take my tower to nicks tomorrow. Wifi works!

Mimi you are a huge animal softie based on your fb posts.

I WANT A KITTEN. More on my plan later.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#81046 Feb 23, 2013
These people make me laugh. Ha ha

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassai/45-peop...

Location hidden

#81047 Feb 23, 2013
I'm up watching a rerun of bones. She's pregnant and due soon. She wants a home birth he does not. He is catholic and wants the baby to be baptized and she doesn't see the point, as an atheist. They compromise. Se says they'll do a home birth *and* they can baptize the baby. "Mythology gives children a way to make sense of the world.

Him: ".my religion is not mythology."

INTERESTING!!!

To atheists, your religious beliefs ARE mythology. No different than Zeus, Adonis, hades, etc. that really is what it is like to most atheists. But the dismissiveness and bluntness is off putting. Disrespectful, really. How is a believer supposed to just chuck out everything he's learned and believed over his lifetime?

And for people whose religious beliefs give them positive things, do we want them to chuck their beliefs?

Of the families (in real life)I know who do volunteer work, all are conservative Christians.

Just thinking out loud.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81048 Feb 24, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TPAAHPTNGC...

Abby

Amy is posted but is taking its time to appear.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81049 Feb 24, 2013

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#81050 Feb 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My computer is down. Major virus shit going on. Need to take my tower to nicks tomorrow. Wifi works!
Mimi you are a huge animal softie based on your fb posts.
I WANT A KITTEN. More on my plan later.
Oh I so am. I think I'm just a soft touch all the way around. That's the reason I'm giving my sister ANOTHER chance to get her shit together. It *has* to be the reason...that of mental illness. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#81051 Feb 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
But the dismissiveness and bluntness is off putting. Disrespectful, really.
This. I've had this "discussion" with the husband many, many, many times. One can not expect someone to just throw a lifetime of belief out the window because *you*(the general "you") say that X is better.

I wasn't born an atheist. I've had religious indoctrination. I know stuff. I simply don't believe it. There are many religious people I like very much because even though *I* don't believe in god and all the accoutrements, they are living (or trying to) what they say they believe. Integrity is very important IMO.

Plus it's called "faith" because you either believe or you don't and no amount of pressure, or insults, or threats, or what have you is going to change someone's real true deep down belief. It just won't.

I saw that episode and that kind of irritated me too. Not only was it dismissive and insulting to religious folks, it paints atheists, AND anthropologists in a very negative way. It was insulting to me personally on both of those levels. For the record, most anthropologists would never say something like that because we know stuff about culture, cultural relativism, etc., and take a holistic approach to understanding things. This was so wrong in so many ways.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81052 Feb 24, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Disrespectful, really. How is a believer supposed to just chuck out everything he's learned and believed over his lifetime?
I'm a big believer in reconsidering your view points when new facts come to your attention. It's really the only way to be enlightened. Ignoring facts just cause you've always believed something makes you an idiot, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. That's the sort of thinking that dominated pre-renaissance and pre age of enlightenment type of thinking. If that's how someone wants to live ... So be it, and while I'm not up in folks faces about it, it's how I feel.

How is a believer supposed to just chuck everything ... Pick up a frigin' history book, learn about the history of religion in general and appreciate that Christianity is really a continuation of when folks thought gods lived on mount Olympus and the many other religions that have faded. Its just a new form of the same.

Also pick up a frigin' history book and learn about the history of Christianity ... How it was created ... How a roman autocrat selected bishops to select the gospels that would go into the bible and how the gospel selection was politically motivated to discredit certain early Christian sects ... And appreciate that much of the magical things that Jesus supposedly did according to the bible were put in there because when Christianity was forming it was competing for followers with other religions who had gods that could do all sorts of magical things and because of this they had to invent magical things that Jesus could do too ... They couldn't just be like yeah, we'll Zeus can hurl down lightening bolts and had a son like Hercules with supper human strength, Jesus was just a 155 pound ordinary son of a carpenter who wanted to challenge Jewish religious authority and died because if it (which if you cut through all the b.s. in the bible is exactly who he was)... all those miracles got thrown in there just to compete for recruits, who were simple minded and far more than not less educated than the average 4th grader today and very superstitious.

I see dedicating any time, effort, or money on religion as being akin to standing in the corner ... A complete waste of time ... It would be very hard for me to be with someone in a relationship who was heavily involved in it ... Bambi is more spiritual than a Christian ... She doesn't get caught up in the whole church thing, but she believes in a higher power ... I can respect that.

I could even respect her going to church on her own ... I would not approve of her indoctrinating (brain wash) our children in it before they have the tools to critically think about it all.

None of our children have been baptized, but also we don't have religious discussions with them either ... I really haven't shared my views with them either as that would be just as wrong as pushing Christianity on them. When they get older I will tell them what I believe and why and let them make the OWN choice in terms of whether they wish to learn about and follow any particular religion they may choose.

My youngest son had a sleep over last Saturday and the parents took him to church with them on Sunday. Bambi and I laughed, but we were okay with it. We aren't militant about it ... One day of church isn't gonna indoctrinate him.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81053 Feb 24, 2013
I really think folks who are religious should ask themselves how they would feel about their religion if they hadn't been exposed to it until they were say 15 or 16. I bet very few of them would buy into it if that were the case.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#81054 Feb 24, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>

My youngest son had a sleep over last Saturday and the parents took him to church with them on Sunday. Bambi and I laughed, but we were okay with it. We aren't militant about it ... One day of church isn't gonna indoctrinate him.
Kids are curious by nature and also want to conform. Some parents will see his lack of religious training as an opportunity to save him ,in a kindly sense, by inviting him along to their church. Without anything to compare it to, he is at risk of indoctrination regardless what you and Bambi want to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min TN Voter 1,100,297
Diversity is a codeword for white genocide 6 min ABSOLUTELYjigsWON 2
last post wins! (Apr '13) 6 min boundary painter 333
Quinn allows increased tax on cell phones in sh... 11 min WhenAtCUBRatesRoc... 2
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 11 min boundary painter 1,257
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 21 min I choose shytcago 42
Word (Dec '08) 22 min boundary painter 4,653
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques from Ottawa 177,400
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE