Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#80992 Feb 22, 2013
I found out today that a co-worker (not in the office with me, works in Texas) was on that Carnival cruise that got stranded. And it was his WEDDING & honeymoon. He said Carnival is bending over backwards to give them stuff, though.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#80993 Feb 22, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but just because it's not accurate in all regards doesn't necessarily mean that Mary, Joseph, or what have you are fiction
No, but it's not proof they did exist, either.
"The Winds of War" is historical fiction, not a history book.
"Anne of a Thousand Days" is not a history book. They both deal with real people and real events, and contain fictional characters interacting with real people, but that does not make the fictional characters real people.
I have no problem with others' faith, but I'm not going to say I think that those people are real when I have never seen any evidence of their existence.
Besides, isn't that why they call it faith? Have faith, but don't expect me to say that yes, they existed. Just have faith.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80994 Feb 22, 2013
My dog is giving me such a guilt trip.

He is standing on the boat looking at me..."cmone, lets go for a boat ride..."

How do you tell a dog that the damn boat is broke and we cant go for a boatride?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#80995 Feb 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Does anyone know if this is for real? I checked Snopes and didn't find anything.
http://christwire.org/2009/11/will-there-be-m...
I don't even know where to begin...

Location hidden

#80996 Feb 22, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
I found out today that a co-worker (not in the office with me, works in Texas) was on that Carnival cruise that got stranded. And it was his WEDDING & honeymoon. He said Carnival is bending over backwards to give them stuff, though.
If they can make it through that, the marriage should last forever.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80997 Feb 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Does anyone know if this is for real? I checked Snopes and didn't find anything.
I googled. Wikipedia has this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christwire

"Christwire is a satirical website that publishes blog-style articles that highlight excesses of American Christian conservatives along with obscure weather reportage, inaccurate and unfactual warnings about such things as politicians and video games, new vernacular, intense focus on various communities, and numerous parenting and lifestyle tips."

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80998 Feb 22, 2013
RACE wrote:
My dog is giving me such a guilt trip.
He is standing on the boat looking at me..."cmone, lets go for a boat ride..."
How do you tell a dog that the damn boat is broke and we cant go for a boatride?
If you give that dog a steak he'll forget about the boat.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80999 Feb 22, 2013
Yeah, but then I wont have any dinner...
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
If you give that dog a steak he'll forget about the boat.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#81000 Feb 22, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>No, but it's not proof they did exist, either.
"The Winds of War" is historical fiction, not a history book.
"Anne of a Thousand Days" is not a history book. They both deal with real people and real events, and contain fictional characters interacting with real people, but that does not make the fictional characters real people.
I have no problem with others' faith, but I'm not going to say I think that those people are real when I have never seen any evidence of their existence.
Besides, isn't that why they call it faith? Have faith, but don't expect me to say that yes, they existed. Just have faith.
I don't expect you to say they existed. I took exception with you saying they didn't exist, because you don't know that this was actually the case.

Maybe a better way to have said it would have been I don't believe they exist. They way you said it made it sound like it was a factual assertion.

West Palm Beach, FL

#81001 Feb 22, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>If they can make it through that, the marriage should last forever.
That's what I was thinking: should be all downhill from here!

Location hidden

#81002 Feb 22, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't expect you to say they existed. I took exception with you saying they didn't exist, because you don't know that this was actually the case.
Maybe a better way to have said it would have been I don't believe they exist. They way you said it made it sound like it was a factual assertion.
Fine, I don't believe it. AFAIC it's a pile used to manipulate weak minded fools.
Y'all have a good winter and spring, I'm going to be busy and gone for awhile.

Location hidden

#81003 Feb 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:

I'm thinking not, by the titles of these articles:

http://christwire.org/

Location hidden

#81004 Feb 22, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Fine, I don't believe it. AFAIC it's a pile used to manipulate weak minded fools.
Y'all have a good winter and spring, I'm going to be busy and gone for awhile.
Take care of yourself, Moon. You will be missed.

:)

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#81005 Feb 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Christwire is satirical. It's amusing if you don't take it seriously. It's actually a good follow on Facebook.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#81006 Feb 22, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
it's a pile used to manipulate weak minded fools.
Glad you're so strong-minded to be immoral, Godless, and filled with hatred for those who don't share your views.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#81007 Feb 22, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
You will be missed.
Ha! As if!

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#81008 Feb 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you're so strong-minded to be immoral, Godless, and filled with hatred for those who don't share your views.
Yes, because you're so compasionate and act in such a Christian manner. What a joke. If Jesus was walking down the sidewalk and saw you coming his direction, he'd cross the street.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#81009 Feb 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't get hatred from Moon's post at all and just b/c someone has different beliefs does not make them immmoral.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81010 Feb 22, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Christwire is satirical. It's amusing if you don't take it seriously. It's actually a good follow on Facebook.
Cool. I was thinking it was like the Onion, but I'd never encountered it before. Thanks.:)

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#81011 Feb 22, 2013
The Jesus, Mary, Joseph thing... I don't want to get involved, but we need to remember that with history, aside from written records and some physical evidence, we either accept or not. Period.

Unless one was there, in person, we really have no idea if so and so existed or if such and such happened. We accept evidence as likely and therefore say it/he/she/they did exist/happen because it's likely.

But really, if I can't see it with my own eyes, there's no way to say with 100% accuracy that it (whatever) was real. Anyway...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiquities_of_t...

http://mama.indstate.edu/users/nizrael/jesusr...

I *think* Josephus' accounts of historical people and events have been called into question, but don't quote me on that. Not really my area of expertise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min TSM 1,144,261
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 23 min ritedownthemiddle 48,595
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min Jacques Ottawa 180,960
4 injured in separate Thanksgiving Day shootings 23 min reality is a crutch 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 25 min Eric 70,628
EverGreen Belgrade 29 min servonazis 19
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 47 min Uzi 68,800
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]