Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80830 Feb 20, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>So if one of your executives misuses alcohol in public and it brings the company into disrepute does that mean the alcohol has adversely affected his job performance or conduct?
Which side of that would you like to argue?
I think a company would put a spin on it depending how valuable that executive is to the company. If he's someone that no one really wants to have around, they'll can him I bet.

If he was important and his knowledge a great value to the company, they'll call it a sickness and send him to rehab and applaud his personal integrity in that he is asking and getting help and helping himself when it's needed.

Anything can be spun.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#80831 Feb 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. If he's the president, who fired him?
The story I posted had a statement from his company saying he was a "business unit executive".
The board of directors usually has the duty to fire a president of a company.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#80832 Feb 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Suspension does equal being fired. I am against firing someone over an allegation. If you want to suspend someone pending the outcome of an investigation, fine. Just keep paying them until they have been proven guilty of some wrong doing.
<quoted text>
This country is full of weekend warriors who get toasted on friday and saturday night but have zero problem staying away from the booze during the work week. Your analogy is ludicrous.
<quoted text>If you are a violent criminal, that is the law's responsibility to punish. You've still been very vague as to whether or not your co-worker served jail time. If he did, then fire his ass. Not holding a job open for someone in jail.
<quoted text> Are they breaking the law by carrying that weapon? Then call the cops. If htey are not breaking the law, its none of your f'n business.
<quoted text> Here, let me hold this mirror up for you.
1- YOU might not agree with it, but too bad, that's how it is.

2- It is not ludicrous at all. You obviously know nothing about substance abuse.

3- don't see how jail time or not is even relevant.

4- The cops were called an an arrest was made. What is your point?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#80833 Feb 20, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
Pellen,
Alcoholism is classified as a disease. That's why they can get away with using the ADA as a crutch.
My experience with alcoholics has been nothing but negative and they are the worst people in the world to have to deal with, IMHO.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
In your situation, I can understand. You see a lot of the damage that is done.

But everyone has a story and I would not want some people's life. Some people have no support, nobody positive in their life. They have an addiction and no idea, direction or even education to know that you can overcome the addiction.

Some people have support but the addiction snuck up to them until they are a full blown alcoholic.

I can't put everyone in the same classification.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80834 Feb 20, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I think a company would put a spin on it depending how valuable that executive is to the company. If he's someone that no one really wants to have around, they'll can him I bet.
If he was important and his knowledge a great value to the company, they'll call it a sickness and send him to rehab and applaud his personal integrity in that he is asking and getting help and helping himself when it's needed.
Anything can be spun.
I agree.

Location hidden

#80835 Feb 20, 2013
how unfazed areRussian? Daily show clip - hilarious - sent to me by a Russian friend:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showt...

Worth the watch -- and stay to the end to see the cows and the tank!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80836 Feb 20, 2013
You have so little faith in me. By your account it's amazing I have not gotten drunk, driven into a bridge and shot myself all at the same time.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Clarification: you may be in a protected class, but given the combination of booze and the guns and the boat you are an endangered species.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80837 Feb 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
You have so little faith in me. By your account it's amazing I have not gotten drunk, driven into a bridge and shot myself all at the same time.
<quoted text>
2 out of 3 wouldn't surprise me at all.

I am only joshing you a little bit. You sound responsible here, but the combination of intoxicants, guns and vehicles can be lethal.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#80838 Feb 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
There are odds in Vegas as to which it's going to be. I bet a perfecta myself.

Location hidden

#80839 Feb 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
On purpose? That'd be some coordination!
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#80840 Feb 20, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
how unfazed areRussian? Daily show clip - hilarious - sent to me by a Russian friend:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showt...
Worth the watch -- and stay to the end to see the cows and the tank!
I saw that last night. Russians are crazy. Have you seen the guy doing gymnastics on a girder about 30 stories up? Absolutely ridiculous.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80841 Feb 20, 2013
Mom hires strippers for 16 year old son's birthday party. WHOOOOOOOO!!!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-575700...

Now I'm not gonna say that was the best parenting move, but she's being charged with child endangerment. Say what? I'm GUESSING that these were not even nude dancers considering this all went down at a bowling alley. Not exactly sure what danger these kids were in. I call foul.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

#80842 Feb 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. If he's the president, who fired him?
The story I posted had a statement from his company saying he was a "business unit executive".
haven't been following hte news, but (a) the board of directors could fire him (if there is a board) and (b) he could be a "business unit executive" that reports to a regional or divisional president or to a CEO/COO who has firing power. we have area presidents that report to regionals presidents who report to diviional presidents who report to teh CEO.... at least i htink that's teh order, i know i have an area president.

Location hidden

#80843 Feb 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Now I'm not gonna say that was the best parenting move, but she's being charged with child endangerment. Say what? I'm GUESSING that these were not even nude dancers considering this all went down at a bowling alley. Not exactly sure what danger these kids were in. I call foul.
Maybe the charges are more related to the other kids that weren't hers?

Doing something like that at apublic place like a bowling alley is rather tacky.

“reign in blood”

United States

#80844 Feb 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
What is the matter with you? If actions don't directly result in a bloody corpse, you don't think people should be charged at all.

Children cannot consent to strippers, tattoos, or sexual activity. An adult who engages children in such is committing child endangerment our worse.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#80845 Feb 20, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the matter with you? If actions don't directly result in a bloody corpse, you don't think people should be charged at all.
Children cannot consent to strippers, tattoos, or sexual activity. An adult who engages children in such is committing child endangerment our worse.
As I said, this went down in a bowling alley, therefore I doubt fully nude. So they saw pretty much the same thing they can see at the beach. And explain to me what danger the kids were in because every parent that allows their 16 year old boy to get on the internet is contributing to the same "endangerment". Or worse!

I agree she did not use the best judgement, but no one was in any danger unless their vigin eyes would burn from the hellfire raining down because they saw a scantily clad woman.

Location hidden

#80846 Feb 20, 2013
If she thinks it'sokay to higher strippers (even non nude strippers) for her underage, teenage son and his friends in apublic place and thinks nothing's wrong that, what does she allow at home?

I think she sounds like a horrible mother.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#80847 Feb 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Child endagerment seems a bit excessive. That charge should be saved for parents who put their kids in cages or lock up the food.

The boys probably thought that was the best.party.ever.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#80848 Feb 20, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
...yet.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#80849 Feb 20, 2013
I tried to look up a legal definition of "child endangerment". I found this:

"Child endangerment is a criminal offense that involves the subjection of minor children to inappropriate or dangerous situations. It is not the same as child abuse, which involves direct harm to children, but carries a similar penalty in the American judicial system."

By that definition, I agree with the charge, but only because of the inclusion of the word inappropriate. However, if this charge carries similar penalties to child abuse, then I feel this is a bit heavy handed.

Getting your 16 year old kid a stripper?
Unwise? yes.
Inappropriate? Yes
Deserving of punishment? Maybe. Actual nudity, yes. No more revealing than what's on the beach? No.
Deserving of a punishment similar to what child ABUSERS get? Oh, hell no.

But I suppose the law needs to be broad enough to cover some molester that's showing his pecker to the 8 year old at the bus stop but not laying a hand on her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 min Frijoles 69,461
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min DBWriter 1,114,636
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min loose cannon 178,562
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 22 min Earthling-1 46,971
Abby 9-30 37 min edogxxx 1
Amy 9-30 39 min edogxxx 1
Abia State polytechnic, Direct entry admission ... 2 hr prof vicktor 1

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]