Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I still don't like it. It would be one thing if your job duties entailed being some sort of public face of the company, but for all the cogs in the machine? Its BS.
Pretty sure I read he was an executive. But I'd think in normal cases, I think you have to be convicted.

Dude I used to see on my floor got busted for child molestation and he worked until the trial.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
OH! Autoimmune diet: two ounces of dark chocolate a day is recommended! Ha! I forgot about that one. THink I can put my Godiva bill onto my health expenses?
ask for a prescription!:-) hopefully you get at least a chuckle out of the doctor!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

When I say "see", I don't mean romantically. He worked here, but I didn't work with him or know him or anything.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
OK, I have not seen a poll around here for awhile, so on this 15 degree day, I ask what about summer are you most looking forward to:
A) Wearing shorts/sundresses/sandals, etc.
B) Beer garden drinking/al fresco dining
C) Fun on the water
D) Grilling
E) Gardening
F) Outdoor concerts
G) Cubs games
H) Playing outdoor sports
I) Farmers markets
E Gardening!!!!!!!!
B eating/drinking out
J Cabin!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
While I am not sorry for him, I find this to be BS.
http://consumerist.com/2013/02/19/alleged-del...
I hate the notion that I could be fired for "ebarassing the company" while I am off the clock. My employment should be soley based on my performance and behavior AT WORK.
Lawsuit in the paper here yesterday: Nursing student (guy, older, like mid to late 30s--he's already an LPN and was going to school to become an RN) posted on his FB page, joking called someone a "stupid bitch" and there was one other post.

His privacy settings were set appropriately. SOme "Friend" of his printed out his entire FB page and gave it to the school and they expelled him for it, but won't tell him that's why, just showed him the stack of papers and it was his whole FB history printed out.

The school is going to lose big time.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I still don't like it. It would be one thing if your job duties entailed being some sort of public face of the company, but for all the cogs in the machine? Its BS.
I"m glad he was fired. I think he deserved it. He also has a history of domestic abuse, apparently.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
OK, I have not seen a poll around here for awhile, so on this 15 degree day, I ask what about summer are you most looking forward to:
C) Fun on the water
D) Grilling
E) Gardening
F) Outdoor concerts
G) Cubs games
I) Farmers markets
Ah, the joy of living in Florida! Don't have to look forward to something I can do on almost any given day.:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Somehow I posted this to a jan 25 column. Meant to drop it here.
So, agree withthe manager? That calling the cops would do nothing other than perhaps shut him down for a while?
Or the mom? Who wanted to call the cops?
I agree with the manager. I don't see what the cops could have done. there's no telling where the bag came from. There's no telling if the owner was still there. The cops are not gonna fingerprint everyone looking for a match to the baggie.
And when it gets right down to it, if she's so fired up about calling the cops, she's got a phone.
Is it a crime to not report found drugs and to just dispose of it? Hell, we don't even know for sure what was in the bag.
Wait, what's this about? did I miss something?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Re: the baby slapper: However, would they normally report on who your employer is? I guess I don't even see why that's pertinent to the story.

I'm fine iwth him being fired because he's a drunk asshole, but...

I don't know. I got a DWI and it didn't affect my employment, because my employer never found out -- I didn't miss any work other than a court date, which I could plan for in advance.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Re: the baby slapper: However, would they normally report on who your employer is? I guess I don't even see why that's pertinent to the story.
I'm fine iwth him being fired because he's a drunk asshole, but...
I don't know. I got a DWI and it didn't affect my employment, because my employer never found out -- I didn't miss any work other than a court date, which I could plan for in advance.
maybe there is a morals clause at his employer? that's teh only thing i could think of... <shrug> or they;re sick of him and trying anything to get rid of him, but that's stretching it if there isn't an expressed morals clause.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
C) Fun on the water
D) Grilling
E) Gardening
F) Outdoor concerts
G) Cubs games
I) Farmers markets
A, C & D. I think C is going to be really fun this year; the girls start swimming lessons in a week. The beach is going to be a completely different experience for them this summer.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
For most jobs, I agree. But then there are businesses that heavily count on their reputation for their business.

Don't laugh -- but like lawyers, accountants, etc. I'm thinking in terms of professions where the customer is buying their intellectual service and not so much a product (although a product is produced most times).

I can't see where it would matter if you were a dishwasher, ditch digger, window washer, or some IT guy (ha! That one was just for you!)

Actually, Tonka, if you got arrested for hacking into a company and stealing social security numbers, I bet your company would have something to say about it if they knew.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Remember, other than for discrimination as defined by state and federal law, you can be fired for any reason. If you're fired for cause, you will be denied unemployment benefits. This guy would have been fired without cause, IMHO, and he is entitled to unemployment benefits.

I think he also needs rehab, but that's his move to make.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

And he's free to sue for being fired, but that's a tough area of law.

He's 60. Hope he's well funded for retirement, because I think he'll have trouble finding ajob. THe first reports I saw portrayed him as the president and maybe the owner of the company, but that seems to have been downplayed.

REmember how much misinformation we got when Sandyhook happened? I figure that's possible for just about any news story we see.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
When I say "see", I don't mean romantically. He worked here, but I didn't work with him or know him or anything.
Thanks for clearing that up!
:)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
I hate the notion that I could be fired for "ebarassing the company" while I am off the clock. My employment should be soley based on my performance and behavior AT WORK.
10 years ago maybe. But now if you mess up as publically as that guy did, someone will do a social media check and there is no nook or cranny of your life where you will not be hounded.
Once the furor dies down, he'll get a job.Rush Limbaugh is aways looking for help.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Not that I am againstthe idea, but how would you handle sales tax? If an item costs $1, then with tax(around here) its $1.07. Either the proprietor ends up giving it to you for a dollar and he pays the 7 cents out of his pocket in aggregate when giving uncle Sam all the sales tax he's owed, or you have to pay him $1.25 and he will pocket 18 cents when its time for him to pay Uncle Sam.
Is there another scenario I have not considered?
That's one thing I will miss when we go full time. No sales tax.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I have a friend who lived in a haunted mansion in st. paul, on a street known for big mansions. It was mostly annoying stuff, but one day it went too far, and she and her husband packed up and were gone that week.
So I did some research on autoimmune diets. I have a list of foods to avoid, and a list of foods I should have.(I just was bored at work yesterday, we'll see what the doc says tomorrow.)
To avoid: Gluten, egg whites, alcohol, lectin (beans), saturated fats, simple carbs (added sugar).
Half my diet is supposed to be fruit and veggies, plus nuts.
I don't think I want to live without gluten (bread/pasta) and alcohol.
You can get breads and such made with gluten free flours. There are several restaurants in our area that have gluten free sections on their menus.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Pretty sure I read he was an executive.
He was a business unit executive. What that means is anyone's guess. I imagine there are many "executives" who's roles are completely internal and have no public facing duties.
Matilda77 wrote:
But I'd think in normal cases, I think you have to be convicted.
Dude I used to see on my floor got busted for child molestation and he worked until the trial.
That's another thing I had a problem with. He's denying the allegations. The courts presume innocence until proven guilty. Seems kinda shitty that someone could be fired over actions they were accused of but are denying.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Generally, yeah, but you do something that puts you in the spotlight world wide as this did? Just reaping what you sow.
He was old enough to know better.
He's just lucky it wasn't MY kid.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

82 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min In The Right 1,080,067
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 min ritedownthemiddle 45,795
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 24 min Taeb 67,948
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 32 min LRS 174,635
How to install windows 8 41 min Its a POS-Dont Bother 2
Ask Amy July 25, 2014 42 min Shari23 5
People Can ‘Protect Themselves From an Overly A... 44 min ShootThePompousGovPeeps 3
Amy 7-24 5 hr Mister Tonka 24
Abby 7-24 18 hr Pippa 42
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••