Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#80787 Feb 19, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>LikeI said, I'm not sorry for HIM, assuming he did it, I just don't like this practice of an employer holding you accountable for things you do on your own time. I want an employer to only consider your job performance and your behavior while on the clock.
Do you have any idea how many rules and regulations were put on people about their private activities by employers in the past? It's much better now, but when my mom started teaching, there were a TON of things that teachers of both genders were prohibited from doing. If she hadn't already been married, more of them would have applied to her. Although those sorts of things were applied more often to women in the job force rather than men, there were plenty of jobs where people's private lives were under scrutiny, and breaking the rules meant termination and a bad reference if any at all.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80788 Feb 19, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
Do you have any idea how many rules and regulations were put on people about their private activities by employers in the past?
Is this supposed to change my opinion of the now? So you're saying it was worse in the past and I should be happy with the way it is now?

"Well, the school bully used to beat me up every morning and take my lunch money, but now he does it only on Thursday. I'm pretty stoked!"

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#80789 Feb 19, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I just don't like this practice of an employer holding you accountable for things you do on your own time. I want an employer to only consider your job performance and your behavior while on the clock.
This is common and nothing new.

Should your son's kindergarten teacher keep her job if authorities find kiddieporn on her home computer?

Many jurisdictions don't allow their cops to work a second job as a bouncer at a strip club.

My coworker got fired for a gun crime he committed while off the clock (there's a potential he could put his coworkers at risk.)

I could lose my job if I get a DUI.(It could show I have a drinking problem and could be a safety risk for myself and others.)

If you exhibit violent or dangerous behavior off the clock, there's a chance you can be violent or dangerous ON the clock.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80790 Feb 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This is common and nothing new.
Should your son's kindergarten teacher keep her job if authorities find kiddieporn on her home computer?
Many jurisdictions don't allow their cops to work a second job as a bouncer at a strip club.
My coworker got fired for a gun crime he committed while off the clock (there's a potential he could put his coworkers at risk.)
I could lose my job if I get a DUI.(It could show I have a drinking problem and could be a safety risk for myself and others.)
If you exhibit violent or dangerous behavior off the clock, there's a chance you can be violent or dangerous ON the clock.
The drinking thing they're walking a fine line. You could say you have a disease so they have to look at it that way first. I know most places don't but some do b/c of lawsuits. People will sue over anything. I don't know if anyone won, but...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80791 Feb 19, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
The drinking thing they're walking a fine line. You could say you have a disease so they have to look at it that way first. I know most places don't but some do b/c of lawsuits. People will sue over anything. I don't know if anyone won, but...
I didn't think an employer had to accomodate alcoholism under ADA.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80792 Feb 19, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't think an employer had to accomodate alcoholism under ADA.
Here's a link and the relevant Q&A from the link: http://www.ada.gov/q%26aeng02.htm

Q. Are alcoholics covered by the ADA?

A. Yes. While a current illegal user of drugs is not protected by the ADA if an employer acts on the basis of such use, a person who currently uses alcohol is not automatically denied protection. An alcoholic is a person with a disability and is protected by the ADA if s/he is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job. An employer may be required to provide an accommodation to an alcoholic. However, an employer can discipline, discharge or deny employment to an alcoholic whose use of alcohol adversely affects job performance or conduct. An employer also may prohibit the use of alcohol in the workplace and can require that employees not be under the influence of alcohol.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80793 Feb 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This is common and nothing new.
Should your son's kindergarten teacher keep her job if authorities find kiddieporn on her home computer?
Many jurisdictions don't allow their cops to work a second job as a bouncer at a strip club.
My coworker got fired for a gun crime he committed while off the clock (there's a potential he could put his coworkers at risk.)
I could lose my job if I get a DUI.(It could show I have a drinking problem and could be a safety risk for myself and others.)
If you exhibit violent or dangerous behavior off the clock, there's a chance you can be violent or dangerous ON the clock.
IThere's somethingto be said fordue process. If kiddle porn is found ten tere is a crime that has been committed and jail time is in order. Job is the least concern.

I don't think yourco-worker should have been fired. I don't think you should lose your job for a dui (unless your job involves diving).

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80794 Feb 19, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a link and the relevant Q&A from the link: http://www.ada.gov/q%26aeng02.htm
Q. Are alcoholics covered by the ADA?
A. Yes. While a current illegal user of drugs is not protected by the ADA if an employer acts on the basis of such use, a person who currently uses alcohol is not automatically denied protection. An alcoholic is a person with a disability and is protected by the ADA if s/he is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job. An employer may be required to provide an accommodation to an alcoholic. However, an employer can discipline, discharge or deny employment to an alcoholic whose use of alcohol adversely affects job performance or conduct. An employer also may prohibit the use of alcohol in the workplace and can require that employees not be under the influence of alcohol.
So if one of your executives misuses alcohol in public and it brings the company into disrepute does that mean the alcohol has adversely affected his job performance or conduct?

Which side of that would you like to argue?

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#80795 Feb 19, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Is this supposed to change my opinion of the now? So you're saying it was worse in the past and I should be happy with the way it is now?
"Well, the school bully used to beat me up every morning and take my lunch money, but now he does it only on Thursday. I'm pretty stoked!"
No, but I'm saying it is nothing new, and if you make an INTERNATIONAL public disgrace of yourself, you've only yourself to blame if your employers decide they don't want you representing their company after that.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#80796 Feb 19, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>IThere's somethingto be said fordue process. If kiddle porn is found ten tere is a crime that has been committed and jail time is in order. Job is the least concern.
I don't think yourco-worker should have been fired. I don't think you should lose your job for a dui (unless your job involves diving).
I'm not going to bother trying HTML, so...

Edog made the following statements:

"Should your son's kindergarten teacher keep her job if authorities find kiddieporn on her home computer?"

-----

"My coworker got fired for a gun crime he committed while off the clock ...."

I don't understand why you see these as different. In both instances, crimes were committed.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#80797 Feb 19, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't think an employer had to accomodate alcoholism under ADA.
Some union contracts have that included, but I don't think it's something that all employers have to consider.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#80798 Feb 19, 2013
Oops, didn't see Toj's post.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80799 Feb 19, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going to bother trying HTML, so...
Edog made the following statements:
"Should your son's kindergarten teacher keep her job if authorities find kiddieporn on her home computer?"
-----
"My coworker got fired for a gun crime he committed while off the clock ...."
I don't understand why you see these as different. In both instances, crimes were committed.
1) kiddie porn on a kindergarten teacher's computer has diret bearing on whether that person is fot for the job duties.
2) Due process. Are we now ok with firing people at the APPEARANCE of impropriety? What if it was a neighbor hacked into her unsecure wifi network and using her pc unbeknownst to her.
3) I can't imagine someone convicted of any type of kiddie porn crime not getting jail time. You go to jail, you lose your job.
4)Gun crime guy. What was his crime? Gun crime is very vague. Did he rob someone? Did he buy a weapon on the black market? Did he go target shooting in his back yard and violate some ordinance? It does not sound like it was someting serious enough to warrant jail time otherwise we would not even be discussing him getting fired. Sure a crime was committed, but what bearing does it have on his abiity to do his job? Red said she got a DUI, but did not affect her job cause they did not know about it. Are you saying she should have lost her job? If you're not brandishing firearms or driving drunk while on the job, why should it be your employer's business?

Back to the dude in question. He was alleged to have made a racist comment. Despicable. Assuming its true, are you in favor of firing racists that don't say or do anything racist while on the job?

He smacked some kid. the fact that it wasn't his kid makes it despicable. Assuming its true. Does the fact that it was a child make a difference or would striking another adult be just as bad? Are you in favor of firing a good employee who strikes someone in his personal time? A fight at a party?

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#80800 Feb 19, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>1) kiddie porn on a kindergarten teacher's computer has diret bearing on whether that person is fot for the job duties.
2) Due process. Are we now ok with firing people at the APPEARANCE of impropriety? What if it was a neighbor hacked into her unsecure wifi network and using her pc unbeknownst to her.
3) I can't imagine someone convicted of any type of kiddie porn crime not getting jail time. You go to jail, you lose your job.
4)Gun crime guy. What was his crime? Gun crime is very vague. Did he rob someone? Did he buy a weapon on the black market? Did he go target shooting in his back yard and violate some ordinance? It does not sound like it was someting serious enough to warrant jail time otherwise we would not even be discussing him getting fired. Sure a crime was committed, but what bearing does it have on his abiity to do his job? Red said she got a DUI, but did not affect her job cause they did not know about it. Are you saying she should have lost her job? If you're not brandishing firearms or driving drunk while on the job, why should it be your employer's business?

Back to the dude in question. He was alleged to have made a racist comment. Despicable. Assuming its true, are you in favor of firing racists that don't say or do anything racist while on the job?

He smacked some kid. the fact that it wasn't his kid makes it despicable. Assuming its true. Does the fact that it was a child make a difference or would striking another adult be just as bad? Are you in favor of firing a good employee who strikes someone in his personal time? A fight at a party?
Aaaaahhhh! I have not researched or formed opinions on the scenarios you presented.

I just didn't understand why you saw kiddie porn and gun crimes differently in this context, and you explained, and I see your point.

Thank you.
:)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#80801 Feb 19, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
1) kiddie porn on a kindergarten teacher's computer has diret bearing on whether that person is fot for the job duties.
2) Due process. Are we now ok with firing people at the APPEARANCE of impropriety? What if it was a neighbor hacked into her unsecure wifi network and using her pc unbeknownst to her.
3) I can't imagine someone convicted of any type of kiddie porn crime not getting jail time. You go to jail, you lose your job.
Being charged with a crime and going to jail for it could take months. Sometimes years. Should they lose their jobs beforehand? Ask Mary Kay Letourneau or gov Blagojevich or Jessie Jackson Jr. or Drew Peterson.
Mister Tonka wrote:
4)Gun crime guy. What was his crime? Gun crime is very vague.
He shoved his girlfriend to the ground, pulled a handgun from his waist, and fired five shots into the air.(All of which is still illegal here... Dam liberals...)
Mister Tonka wrote:
are you in favor of firing racists that don't say or do anything racist while on the job?
Does the fact that it was a child make a difference or would striking another adult be just as bad? Are you in favor of firing a good employee who strikes someone in his personal time? A fight at a party?
No. Yes. Maybe. Depends.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80802 Feb 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Being charged with a crime and going to jail for it could take months. Sometimes years.
So people should lose their jobs for being charged with a crime? What if they are not convicted? What if they are falsely accused? If they cannot earn any income, you gona pay their expenses? Feed them? House them?

Should Kobe have been kicked off the Lakers for a booty call that accused him of rape? He's never been convicted of that crime?

What about the Duke Lacrosse team accused of rape? Came to light that the DA ignored the facts and wanted to make a high profile example of them regardless of their innocence.

But you're ok with a speedy job loss because justice is not swift enough for you?
edogxxx wrote:
He shoved his girlfriend to the ground, pulled a handgun from his waist, and fired five shots into the air.(All of which is still illegal here... Dam liberals...)
Was he bringing a weapon into the workplace? Was he a hot head at work? Apparently his crime did not warrant any jail time. I don't see how it pertains to his job performance.

"No" - Racist remarks. Cool with the dog. big surprise.

"Yes" - Striking a child. Bad.

"Maybe" - Firing a good employee who stikes someone. And what is your criteria for choosing either yes or no?

"Depends" - Same thing. What is your criteria for deterimining if a fight during your personal time is a firable offense.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#80803 Feb 19, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
So people should lose their jobs for being charged with a crime? What if they are not convicted? What if they are falsely accused? If they cannot earn any income, you gona pay their expenses? Feed them? House them?
Should Kobe have been kicked off the Lakers for a booty call that accused him of rape? He's never been convicted of that crime?
What about the Duke Lacrosse team accused of rape? Came to light that the DA ignored the facts and wanted to make a high profile example of them regardless of their innocence.
But you're ok with a speedy job loss because justice is not swift enough for you?
I see you've completely ignored the rest of the relevant points of the question.
Mister Tonka wrote:
Was he bringing a weapon into the workplace?
Maybe.
Mister Tonka wrote:
Was he a hot head at work?
Kinda.
Mister Tonka wrote:
Apparently his crime did not warrant any jail time.
Who said it didn't?
Mister Tonka wrote:
I don't see how it pertains to his job performance.
A man carries around a loaded gun and you're concerned with his "job performance?"
Mister Tonka wrote:
"No" - Racist remarks. Cool with the dog. big surprise.
Initially, I was gonna ask if he didn't show any racism at work, how would anyone know he's a racist? But I know you'd probably counter with maybe his boss saw his social media page or blog with him dressed as KKK. But if he doesn't show any at work (which is unlikely) then what's the big deal?
Mister Tonka wrote:
"Yes" - Striking a child. Bad.
Or an adult, which was the other part of your question.
Mister Tonka wrote:
"Maybe" - Firing a good employee who stikes someone. And what is your criteria for choosing either yes or no?
"Depends" - Same thing. What is your criteria for deterimining if a fight during your personal time is a firable offense.
Zactly. Remember the fifty shades of gray, tonks. Things aren't always as simple as black and white.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80804 Feb 19, 2013
Tonka-
My new computer arrives tomorrow.Nice and clean.Windows 7.What should I load on it?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80805 Feb 19, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Tonka-
My new computer arrives tomorrow.Nice and clean.Windows 7.What should I load on it?
Hmmmm...free stuff?
-Drop Box(lets you share files between your pc and phone(or other device) thu the cloud
-Picasa (photo albums software)
-Google Music Manager(if you store music on your PC and want access to your entire library from your phone)
-Spotify(If you listen to music on your PC and want free access to whatever you want ie: stuff you don't own)
-Skype if you video chat with relatives
-Quicktime just so you can view any videos on the web in that format
-adobe reader
-classic shell (if you on't like the start menu and prefer the old windows 98 style)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80806 Feb 19, 2013
microsoft security essential
free
has gotten reviews comparable to "for a price" antivirus software.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min wojar 180,902
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 28 min Swedenforever 54,527
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr John Galt 1,144,008
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Jamie 48,583
Aldi's is the Worst Supermarket Chain (Jun '12) 1 hr Jamie 330
Boycott all Topix Sponsors 1 hr Jamie 5
World's Best Photo Art 1 hr Jamie 3
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:15 pm PST

NBC Sports 4:15PM
Washington benches RGIII, Colt McCoy to start
Bleacher Report 5:56 PM
Breaking Down Lions' Game Plan vs. Bears
Bleacher Report 7:26 PM
Bold Predictions for Colts Week 13 Matchup
NBC Sports 9:17 PM
Week 13 skill-position injury report — Wednesday
NBC Sports11:56 PM
Colts put in extra time to prepare for McCoy - NBC Sports