|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The degree to which they were exploited was awful. THeir doctor was made a millionaire, I think, by selling the rights to them. THeir own parents had fewer rights to see their daughters than the family doctro did.
It was just sick all the way around. The parents sued to get them back, but it looks to me like they were really suing to get rights to the money, not necessarily the girls. I think it was sometime in the 90s that the 3 surviving sisters said that their father sexually assaulted them throughout the years between them being returned to their parents and leaving home at 18.
I read one article that said they sued the government and received a settlement for their perceived explotation. Perceived? I don't know how anyone could question whether or not they were truly exploited. How many other children live in homes that are built with windows looking into every room so that they are constantly on display to everyone who pays the admission price to walk up and stare at them?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Not that I am againstthe idea, but how would you handle sales tax? If an item costs $1, then with tax(around here) its $1.07. Either the proprietor ends up giving it to you for a dollar and he pays the 7 cents out of his pocket in aggregate when giving uncle Sam all the sales tax he's owed, or you have to pay him $1.25 and he will pocket 18 cents when its time for him to pay Uncle Sam.
Is there another scenario I have not considered?
That hits on what race said, prices would have to be rounded up to the next quarter. Heard of a business owner a while back who rounded his prices to the next nickle because he hated pennies. I thought it was a great idea, but he caught some flack for that.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
RIch couple (worth $250M) has four kids. THey adopt a girl from China. THen they have another bio kid. THey sign final court papers saying that she is their daughter and they will provide for her. A year later, the dad died, and mom gave the girl up for adoption again.
Told the new parents they had like $900K set aside for the girl (who apparently may have some medical problems). THen the new parents found out that dad's estate is worth $250M and that daughter is entitled legally to her share. The first mom fought it (fucking bitch). She just lost.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/02/...
I am in no way defending this woman, but I wonder who's idea it was to adopt in the first place. They already had 4 kids. Sure, they could afford it, but you really have to WANT more kids if you are adopting. I wonder if this was his idea. Something that he wanted to do, and she just went along with it.

Either way, I can't imagine rasing a child from 1996 to 2003, 7 gd years, and then putting her up for adoption. That's just heartless. I wonder what kind of special needs she is. Regardless, this woman had more than enough money to hire help if it was too much for her to handle.

So the kid is now 17 or so? About to be rich.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

I have a friend who lived in a haunted mansion in st. paul, on a street known for big mansions. It was mostly annoying stuff, but one day it went too far, and she and her husband packed up and were gone that week.

So I did some research on autoimmune diets. I have a list of foods to avoid, and a list of foods I should have.(I just was bored at work yesterday, we'll see what the doc says tomorrow.)

To avoid: Gluten, egg whites, alcohol, lectin (beans), saturated fats, simple carbs (added sugar).

Half my diet is supposed to be fruit and veggies, plus nuts.

I don't think I want to live without gluten (bread/pasta) and alcohol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Ha! Maybe I get to be THAT wedding guest with dietary restrictions! ;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I am in no way defending this woman, but I wonder who's idea it was to adopt in the first place. They already had 4 kids. Sure, they could afford it, but you really have to WANT more kids if you are adopting. I wonder if this was his idea. Something that he wanted to do, and she just went along with it.
Either way, I can't imagine rasing a child from 1996 to 2003, 7 gd years, and then putting her up for adoption. That's just heartless. I wonder what kind of special needs she is. Regardless, this woman had more than enough money to hire help if it was too much for her to handle.
I thought it was weird, too. Although maybe they did it to get a girl? My black friend in HS was adopted b/c her parents wanted a daughter, and they had four boys already.

I wonder if mom was't thrilled that the girl had medical problems in this story?

But yeah, giving the child up at 7? That's pretty heartless. She obviously didn't bond with her adopted daughter.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

I mentioned my friend's being "black" because they had asked for a baby girl, didn't care about race, just wanted a girl. GOod luck finding a white baby to adopt.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/widow-cut...
This story has more details. Said SHE's the one who wentto China for hte adoption.
More snippets:

-Christine maintains that Emily was a difficult child and unable to bond with the family
-In December 2003, Svenningsen placed Emily at the Devereux Glenholme School based upon a diagnosis of Reactive Attachment Disorder,” which occurs when a person has severe problems relating to other people
-The staff at Devereux did not concur with the diagnosis
-When she was offered up for adoption, that "thrilled Devereux staffer Maryann Campbell, who often cared for Emily on the weekends with her husband and felt “bonded” with her. Campbell and her husband agreed to adopt Emily — but Svenningsen never mentioned to them or the adoption agency that she had been named as a beneficiary in John Svenningsen’s will.

So these perfect strangers bonded with her and knew nothing about the money until 4 years later when contacted by a lawyer for the estate. Wondeer why she was not able to bond with Mommie Dearest.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/widow-cut...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> New quarters?
The ones where each state gets to have its own symbol on it, as opposed to a single coin with a single image

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That hits on what race said, prices would have to be rounded up to the next quarter. Heard of a business owner a while back who rounded his prices to the next nickle because he hated pennies. I thought it was a great idea, but he caught some flack for that.
So you hate pennies, nickels, and dimes so much that you would RATHER pay an extra 18% on a $1 item than have those coins? That will add up quick. A lot quicker than just getting rid of pennies. No thanks.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was weird, too. Although maybe they did it to get a girl?
Nope. Look at the link I posted. She has 4 girls and 1 boy.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>The ones where each state gets to have its own symbol on it, as opposed to a single coin with a single image
Ok. Is there a joke in there that I'm missing? I don't see how those are any more likely to be mistaken for a nickel than quarters with the standard rear image.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Me neither. What's the point in living longer if you're miserable?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

SOuth AFrican athlete says he shot his girlfriend thinking she was an intruder.

She was cowering in a locked bathroom. He shot her through the door.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Look at the link I posted. She has 4 girls and 1 boy.
Yeah, you provided a lot more info than that article I found.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I have a friend who lived in a haunted mansion in st. paul, on a street known for big mansions. It was mostly annoying stuff, but one day it went too far, and she and her husband packed up and were gone that week.
So I did some research on autoimmune diets. I have a list of foods to avoid, and a list of foods I should have.(I just was bored at work yesterday, we'll see what the doc says tomorrow.)
To avoid: Gluten, egg whites, alcohol, lectin (beans), saturated fats, simple carbs (added sugar).
That is fairly close to the weight loss diet I am on and the general dietmy BIL uses.
Pasta can be replaced with rice noodles in teh same shape or gluten free noodles. Some aren't bad.

Can't really replace alcohol.My SIL who definitely has RA never did drink much. Her weakness was caffeine. She still gets rations of chocolate so its not total deprivation.

Don't do any more on-line diagnoses. Wait for the doctor. They won't be able to give you anything definitive until after the blood work comes back.

Docs need to be prodded about complimentary medicine, so do ask for a nutritionist consult. Way too much quasi scientific garbage out there on diet affecting health. Stick with someone who has been trained.

If you can't stay off the computer, go to PubMed.com . That is the NIH database of peer reviewed journal articles. You need some technical expertise in vocabulary to make sense of it,but it can be navigated fairly easily. It will give you sound information for teh most part, not Dr Koop's Internet medicine.

/s/ Dr Pelly

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Once you cut out bread and pasta for 5 days or a week or so, you don't really miss it if you can stay on the diet. I have so much more energy sans all that extra sugar. But booze. I love my wine and cider, especially in the summer.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
SOuth AFrican athlete says he shot his girlfriend thinking she was an intruder.
She was cowering in a locked bathroom. He shot her through the door.
Yeah, I hate when someone breaks in and then hides in the bathroom like a sitting duck. There's no other option but to shoot them!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

I'm willing to alter my diet, even radically, but I would wnat to do it slowly. big changes aren't likely to stick, at least not with me.

What I Read also said it's really important to be as physically active and fit as possible, and to drink as much water as possible (I read 80 ounces minimum per day), in order to keep toxins flushed.

I did drag my butt out of bed this morning and was at the gym by 5:45.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Once you cut out bread and pasta for 5 days or a week or so, you don't really miss it if you can stay on the diet. I have so much more energy sans all that extra sugar. But booze. I love my wine and cider, especially in the summer.
Do you have access to teh Chicago Tribune pul out section called RedEye? Today's edition cover story is all about hard cider.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

86 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min shinningelectr0n 1,083,648
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 min truth 49,004
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 min Roxie Darling 4,567
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min wojar 175,111
last post wins! (Apr '13) 42 min gauntlet 305
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 46 min nono 3,849
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 50 min truth-facts 45,891
Amy 7-30 1 hr Julie 20
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••