Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Brazil nuts!
My coworker called them N toes, and I told her, "You can't say that word here at work." She NEVER would have called a black person the N word, but she didn't give a second thought to the N toes comment. She grew up with it.
My cousin got a written reprimand from his company for offensive language. He was working at the corporate offices back east somewhere (New Hampshire, maybe) and they were asking about life here in Minnesota. He said he and his girlfriend mostly go out in Uptown, where he lives, because they haven't found anywhere they like in Coon Rapids, where she lives. A couple people got really offended and one guy was threatening to kick his azz, throwing around a ton of derogatory white slurs. J had no idea what they were talking about - had never heard of that as a racial slur. He got reprimanded for talking about the name of a town (named for RACOONS, by the way) and the guy who threatened bodily harm and actually used offensive language, knowingly and deliberately, got an apology from the manager. Even after he showed them a map, this guy was still being ugly about it and other people were very chilly towards him the whole time he was there.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Alice Cooper was more of a grown up when he became famous. Makes a difference. Other than Shirley Temple and maybe the Olsen twins, which child stars grew up to be sober productive and well grounded? Not many. It is easier to name teh ones who did not.
It amazes me that the Dionne quintuplets grew up to be anywhere near normal. Exploited by their government, put on display like animals in a zoo, and resented by the family they made wealthy, I can completely understand why they really don't seem to trust anyone except one another.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
It costs 2.4 cents to mint a penny.
Our government at work!
Didn't Canada just phase out their penny? I'd be all for it, because f**k pennies, amirite?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>It amazes me that the Dionne quintuplets grew up to be anywhere near normal. Exploited by their government, put on display like animals in a zoo, and resented by the family they made wealthy, I can completely understand why they really don't seem to trust anyone except one another.
The degree to which they were exploited was awful. THeir doctor was made a millionaire, I think, by selling the rights to them. THeir own parents had fewer rights to see their daughters than the family doctro did.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Did you guys see some woman in Texas gave birth to two sets of identical twins yesterday? No fertility drugs. All boys and they already have a 2 year old son. Dad says he still wants a girl. I would punch him in the nuts.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So in my new place, 120 years old, I"ve been seeing things--just things like movement, or something there, out of the corner of my eye, but then it's gone. In random places. IT's not the cats, either.
NOt all the time, but once in a while.
THe cats have a toy that's like a gyroscope ball thing with a stuffed mouse toy in the middle. THe mouse will squeak NONSTOP once you throw it and it makes impact, until you turn the mouse off. THe cats do not acvtually play with it. It's in a container of cat toys, currently blocked by being on a shelf then covered with several flat pieces of artwork/wall hangings.
It went off in the middle of the night last night. I got out of bed and went to where it was, and turned it off.
It then went off again. I got up and turned it off again.
And again.
And again. All four times, the cats were in bed with me. The last time, I took it out of the container and put it on top of another shelf and covered it with a jacket. It didn't go off again.
Weird....
Give it some time and it will get used to you. Had similar issues with my own ghost. It doesn't bother me anymore. The other night I heard it shuffling around the living room and hallway. I didn't even bother getting up to check, I knew what it was.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't Canada just phase out their penny? I'd be all for it, because f**k pennies, amirite?
We should have done that a while ago. But then nickles will become as annoying as the penny. Then the dime. I say we should do away with all coins except for the quarter.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

That would mean all prices after tax would be rounded up to the nearest quarter. No thanks!
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
We should have done that a while ago. But then nickles will become as annoying as the penny. Then the dime. I say we should do away with all coins except for the quarter.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Edog, I am surprised that you believe in ghosts!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
Did you guys see some woman in Texas gave birth to two sets of identical twins yesterday? No fertility drugs. All boys and they already have a 2 year old son. Dad says he still wants a girl. I would punch him in the nuts.
Does he not realize that his sperm is just set up to make more boys than girls at this point? holy crap.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

RIch couple (worth $250M) has four kids. THey adopt a girl from China. THen they have another bio kid. THey sign final court papers saying that she is their daughter and they will provide for her. A year later, the dad died, and mom gave the girl up for adoption again.

Told the new parents they had like $900K set aside for the girl (who apparently may have some medical problems). THen the new parents found out that dad's estate is worth $250M and that daughter is entitled legally to her share. The first mom fought it (fucking bitch). She just lost.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/02/...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Dad tattooed a picture of a gun on his 14yo daughter:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
With the new quarters I have to pay attention to make sure I am not using a nickel. The heck with state based chauvinism. Give me my money back.

(Great to be able to use that word in its original meaning, btw)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So in my new place, 120 years old, I"ve been seeing things--just things like movement, or something there, out of the corner of my eye, but then it's gone. In random places. IT's not the cats, either.
NOt all the time, but once in a while.
THe cats have a toy that's like a gyroscope ball thing with a stuffed mouse toy in the middle. THe mouse will squeak NONSTOP once you throw it and it makes impact, until you turn the mouse off. THe cats do not acvtually play with it. It's in a container of cat toys, currently blocked by being on a shelf then covered with several flat pieces of artwork/wall hangings.
It went off in the middle of the night last night. I got out of bed and went to where it was, and turned it off.
It then went off again. I got up and turned it off again.
And again.
And again. All four times, the cats were in bed with me. The last time, I took it out of the container and put it on top of another shelf and covered it with a jacket. It didn't go off again.
Weird....
Rational explanation:

The structural meembers of the building vibrate in response to soemthing like the furnace coming on, or a truck going by. I put more weight on the fact it was on a shelf when it started making noise. More opportunity for subtle movement.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
RIch couple (worth $250M) has four kids. THey adopt a girl from China. THen they have another bio kid. THey sign final court papers saying that she is their daughter and they will provide for her. A year later, the dad died, and mom gave the girl up for adoption again.
Told the new parents they had like $900K set aside for the girl (who apparently may have some medical problems). THen the new parents found out that dad's estate is worth $250M and that daughter is entitled legally to her share. The first mom fought it (fucking bitch). She just lost.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/02/...
Ha ha. Good for the kid.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Not that I am againstthe idea, but how would you handle sales tax? If an item costs $1, then with tax(around here) its $1.07. Either the proprietor ends up giving it to you for a dollar and he pays the 7 cents out of his pocket in aggregate when giving uncle Sam all the sales tax he's owed, or you have to pay him $1.25 and he will pocket 18 cents when its time for him to pay Uncle Sam.

Is there another scenario I have not considered?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

PEllen wrote:
With the new quarters
New quarters?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

I have two neighbors right now (two more are moving into the upstairs unit soon). THe woman across the hall, I've seen her twice in 3 months. Two recycling tubs reside on my front porch (she has her own). She throws random recycling stuff in there (rather than bagging the loose stuff like paper and thin cardboard). If I put the tubs over on her side of the porch (without any of my recycling in them), she puts them back on mine.

I take out a tub of recycling of just my stuff, and hers will sit there. I think she thinks I"ll take it out (maybe the previous person in my unit did that). My upstairs neighbor doesn't want to mess with it and she got her own recycling tubs.

Now she's thrown big boxes onto my porch -- not even broken down like we're supposed to do. I have a dr. appointment tomorrow, and I hope to get my own tubs and mark them with "Apt 1" or something, and put the original tubs on her porch.

If she puts her crap on my porch again, I'll have ot talk to her, and if she won't quit, I'll bring the LL into it. Because even when I put the tubs into a corner and clean things up, she pulls them back by the door (I think so she cna just open the security door and throw shit out there w/out having to have her keys on her).

I want a nice-looking porch, not a porch with cardboard boxes and mail and crap all over, especially once summer comes and I can put containers of flowers out there. Grrrr.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rational explanation:
The structural meembers of the building vibrate in response to soemthing like the furnace coming on, or a truck going by. I put more weight on the fact it was on a shelf when it started making noise. More opportunity for subtle movement.
It wasn't on a shelf mounte don the wall, but on a wall unit on the floor. It was on the lowest shelf. No trucks on our street (it's a weird street that ends at my block.

Either way, that toy is going in the trash tonight.

Or in my bitchy neighbor's unit when she's not looking.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Edog, I am surprised that you believe in ghosts!
The thing hid my wallet for three days!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

72 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Whos not Surprised 1,080,246
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 min TRD 67,961
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 50 min truth 48,914
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Learn to Read 174,642
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 68,377
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Mothra 45,797
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr andet1987 463
Abby 7-24 21 hr Pippa 42
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••