Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80530 Feb 17, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG isn't that a GREAT song?
Nick was going through some Alice Cooper songs, and I told him to listen to that one -- he couldn't believe it was the same guy! IT's just so gorgeous.

Location hidden

#80531 Feb 17, 2013
Alice Cooper was dating Raquel Welch and dumped her! WTH?

Location hidden

#80532 Feb 17, 2013
My college boyfriend took me to see Megadeth and Alice Cooper for my 19th birthday in 1987 (I was not a fan of either).

from wiki:

In 1986, Megadeth was asked to open for Cooper for dates on his US Constrictor tour. After noticing the hardcore abuse of alcohol and other drugs in the band, Cooper personally approached the band members to try to help them control their abuse, and he has stayed close to front man Dave Mustaine, who considers Cooper to be his "godfather".[99] Since overcoming his own addiction to alcohol in the mid-1980s, Cooper has continued to help and counsel other rock musicians with addiction problems. "I've made myself very available to friends of mine they're people who would call me late at night and say,'Between you and me, I've got a problem.'"[100] In recognition of the work he has done in helping other addicts in the recovery process, Cooper received in 2008 the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award at the fourth annual MusiCares MAP Fund benefit concert in Los Angeles.

Location hidden

#80533 Feb 17, 2013
For the republicans here, this was awesome:

Throughout his career, Cooper's philosophy regarding politics is that politics should not be mixed with rock music. He has usually kept his political views to himself, and in 2010 said "I am extremely non-political. I go out of my way to be non-political. I'm probably the biggest moderate you know. When John Lennon and Harry Nilsson used to argue politics, I was sitting right in the middle of them, and I was the guy who was going 'I don't care.' When my parents would start talking politics, I would go in my room and put on The Rolling Stones or The Who on as long as I could to avoid politics. And I still feel that way".[68] On occasion he has spoken out against musicians who promote or opine on politics; for example, in the run-up to the 2004 presidential election, he told the Canadian Press that the then crop of rock stars campaigning for and touring on behalf of Democratic candidate John Kerry were committing "treason against rock n' roll". He also added that upon seeing the list of musicians who supported Kerry, "if I wasn't already a Bush supporter, I would have immediately switched. Linda Ronstadt? Don Henley? Geez, that's a good reason right there to vote for Bush."[
dahgts

Homer Glen, IL

#80534 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been copying my CDs (over 500) to itunes. Got to the Ds and didn't remember that I had four Miles Davis CDs!
I knew you had some redeeming qualities !! His tunes are great "smokin and screwin" sounds.
dahgts

Homer Glen, IL

#80535 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Alice Cooper was dating Raquel Welch and dumped her! WTH?
He is quite the "pillar of the community" around Scottsdale. Just another suburban family guy. Would run into him at the antique stores. He collects pocket watches.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#80536 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My college boyfriend took me to see Megadeth and Alice Cooper for my 19th birthday in 1987 (I was not a fan of either).
from wiki:
In 1986, Megadeth was asked to open for Cooper for dates on his US Constrictor tour. After noticing the hardcore abuse of alcohol and other drugs in the band, Cooper personally approached the band members to try to help them control their abuse, and he has stayed close to front man Dave Mustaine, who considers Cooper to be his "godfather".[99] Since overcoming his own addiction to alcohol in the mid-1980s, Cooper has continued to help and counsel other rock musicians with addiction problems. "I've made myself very available to friends of mine they're people who would call me late at night and say,'Between you and me, I've got a problem.'"[100] In recognition of the work he has done in helping other addicts in the recovery process, Cooper received in 2008 the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award at the fourth annual MusiCares MAP Fund benefit concert in Los Angeles.
I saw that tour! I was way pregnant at the time, but I was there. Different city of course...

Location hidden

#80537 Feb 17, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
He is quite the "pillar of the community" around Scottsdale. Just another suburban family guy. Would run into him at the antique stores. He collects pocket watches.
The part in wiki about him mentoring younger musicians who are dealing with substance abuse was outstanding. He cares about people.

Location hidden

#80538 Feb 17, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew you had some redeeming qualities !! His tunes are great "smokin and screwin" sounds.
I saw a movie that uses his music throughout:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascenseur_pour_l '%C3%A9chafaud_(soundtrack)

Very odd and interesting film. The music was PERFECT.

The only black guy I've dated was a huge fan and explained to me the legacy of Miles Davis, and the significance of his "imperfect" playing (leaving mistakes in the recordings rather than starting over, etc.).

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80539 Feb 17, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
so would i be a show off by saying that i'm actually sewing tonight, then....?
i'm starting to realize that sewing is cathartic to me, and i'm needing something like that todya, for some reason... <shrug> girl's gotta do waht a girl's gotta do, and if there;s something else at the end of that, all the better...
I used to sew and have been playing with the idea of getting a new machine. I've been thinking, would it be better to get a simple machine like a 70 stitch one or go for the more computerized one and grow into it. Never had a serger, would probably be a good thing.

Then I think I should get the simple one and if I decide to explore further, then purchase another. A back-up simple machine might be a good thing.

Thoughts?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80540 Feb 17, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG isn't that a GREAT song?
I had completely forgot about that song. Just put it up on youtube. Don't think I ever focused that was Alice Cooper before.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80541 Feb 17, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew that!:D
I didn't until like 4-5 years ago.

Location hidden

#80542 Feb 17, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to sew and have been playing with the idea of getting a new machine. I've been thinking, would it be better to get a simple machine like a 70 stitch one or go for the more computerized one and grow into it. Never had a serger, would probably be a good thing.
Then I think I should get the simple one and if I decide to explore further, then purchase another. A back-up simple machine might be a good thing.
Thoughts?
I was just talking to two sewing coworkers about this (both made their own wedding dresses!). They felt that rather than buying a cheaper new one (for simple things), a better way to go would be to buy a nice used one on Craigslist. Like, better to buy one that retailed for $200 (and I know, that's no fancy sewing machine, but you also can get them for $100 or less) or more, and get it used, than to get that $100 at Target brand new.

FWIW.

I just want a sewing machine for simple things: Hemming pants, making pillows/mending pillow cases (I have some vintage ones from estate sales), making simple curtains, etc.

Location hidden

#80543 Feb 17, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I had completely forgot about that song. Just put it up on youtube. Don't think I ever focused that was Alice Cooper before.
Nick and I spend some date nights just him on his compute,r me on my ipad, goig through songs we want to check out, and then playing them for each other. It's a fun way to find new music.

Or he'll go through a playlist and see how fast it takes me to name a group.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80544 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just talking to two sewing coworkers about this (both made their own wedding dresses!). They felt that rather than buying a cheaper new one (for simple things), a better way to go would be to buy a nice used one on Craigslist. Like, better to buy one that retailed for $200 (and I know, that's no fancy sewing machine, but you also can get them for $100 or less) or more, and get it used, than to get that $100 at Target brand new.
FWIW.
I just want a sewing machine for simple things: Hemming pants, making pillows/mending pillow cases (I have some vintage ones from estate sales), making simple curtains, etc.
I don't "sew." Never really learned how, even with the mandatory-for-girls-only chauvinistic curriculum in the 8th grade (1975) class. I do however have a Singer cheap-y (like $100.00-ish) I bought just for doing ripped seams, hems, etc. I *can* sew a straight seam. More or less. <shrug>

Location hidden

#80545 Feb 17, 2013
TMI ALERT.

Heh. Nick and I had a bad morning -- not a fight but a conversation and there were tears on both sides (i've NEVER seen him cry). before I left, we were good, and he said, "You're not going to send me some novella via email later, are you? Because if you have something more to say, we should talk about it, not send an email." (I absolutely agreed, and had no plans to send an email.)

So early this afternoon, I sent him an email subject line "Long email" then in the body "ha! Kidding!"

He just called me from Kohl's. "I was shopping, waiting in line at Kohl's, and my phone went off to tell me I had an email. "Oh, an email from Angela, what's she have to say?" He saw the subject line and said his stomach lurched at "long email."

My phone rings and I see it's him. I answered it, "Are you done shitting your pants? hahahahaha!" He laughed his butt off and said "you fucker! Revenge is gonna be sweet!"

I know not every relationship can take that kind of joking or language but it suits us. Heck, last weekend during sex I joked about pooping the bed and he stopped and said with 100% sincerity: "You. Are. Awesome."

:)

Location hidden

#80546 Feb 17, 2013
Mimi:

A friend just sent me an mp3 of an Alice Cooper song I loved as a kid but didn't know it was him: "I never cry." Check it out!@

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80547 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
FWIW.
The prices have come down on some good ones. I've read up and while Singer has the name, Brother seems to have more satisfied customers. I've heard Juki is a really good machine but I think Brother will be just fine for me.

While this probably would do fine for now: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Project-CE7070P...

There's so many others out there.

Location hidden

#80548 Feb 17, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
The prices have come down on some good ones. I've read up and while Singer has the name, Brother seems to have more satisfied customers. I've heard Juki is a really good machine but I think Brother will be just fine for me.
While this probably would do fine for now: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Project-CE7070P...
There's so many others out there.
A sewer friend said Kenmore is a reliable brand, but I've heard the same about Singer and Brother, too. Do you know how to sew? I don't - I took classes through community ed, but was working on my gifted 1940s machine (which ended up on fire and throw away) and mistakenly chose a too-difficult pattern (too many pieces, although it was just PJs).

I'm willing to try again.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80549 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Mimi:
A friend just sent me an mp3 of an Alice Cooper song I loved as a kid but didn't know it was him: "I never cry." Check it out!@
Is that off the AC Goes to Hell Album?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Learn to Read 187,892
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 24 min Earthling-1 53,064
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 34 min Bluestater 1,224,606
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 hr Gas Woman 69,825
Word (Dec '08) 6 hr _Zoey_ 5,213
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 hr _Zoey_ 5,951
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 12 hr boundary painter 1,175
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]