|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

so sick your lawyer alum on them!
Jess in NJ wrote:
Hi all! So, some of you may remember me talking about how much I loved my sorority in college because it wasn't like a stereotypical sorority. We encouraged individuality and I didn't feel like a "stepford sister".
Well, National just informed us that they are revoking our charter at the end of this semester. They say it is due to low numbers (the membership numbers are exactly the same as when I was active 15 years ago), poor communication and not being competitive on campus. Apparently they said something in another letter about "alternative lifestyles". We (the alum) are not taking that to mean homosexual, but that our sisterhood does not look like the blonde, cheerleader type that is prevalent in chapters in the South. They are intelligent, charismatic and philanthropic, though. Many of my sisters are now lawyers, executives, entrepreneurs and otherwise successful women both in their personal and professional lives.
I am livid and I'm not the only one. RU is a really big university and that sisterhood made it smaller and more manageable, especially for those of us who lived out of state.
/vent over

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Jess, you know its all about money right? It's always about money.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
Hi all! So, some of you may remember me talking about how much I loved my sorority in college because it wasn't like a stereotypical sorority. We encouraged individuality and I didn't feel like a "stepford sister".
Well, National just informed us that they are revoking our charter at the end of this semester. They say it is due to low numbers (the membership numbers are exactly the same as when I was active 15 years ago), poor communication and not being competitive on campus. Apparently they said something in another letter about "alternative lifestyles". We (the alum) are not taking that to mean homosexual, but that our sisterhood does not look like the blonde, cheerleader type that is prevalent in chapters in the South. They are intelligent, charismatic and philanthropic, though. Many of my sisters are now lawyers, executives, entrepreneurs and otherwise successful women both in their personal and professional lives.
I am livid and I'm not the only one. RU is a really big university and that sisterhood made it smaller and more manageable, especially for those of us who lived out of state.
/vent over
I am so sorry, Jess.:( What a shame!

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I'm missing something
You are being deliberately obtuse. Go back and re-read. "Ape" IS NOT A SPECIES you freaking moron. I never said we were the same species. "Ape" is a classification. Really, really, really, really, REALLY TSTI!

And, ftr, you are never, ever, EVER right about this. You have no knowledge whatsoever and *I* do. Go argue evolution with your pastor so that at least someone will agree with you.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Not to dispute the veracity of the claims, but was the signing by Michael verified by an independent source? Any chance he was coached or encouraged? Did he initiate these conversations?
If we can get gorilla's to carry on an intelligent conversations, does that mean theirs hope for mutt?
<quoted text>
If you're really interested I will try to look into the information about Michael. As I recall, there was more than one person present,. I wasn't there of course, but I will try and check out the particulars when I get some free time.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Not to dispute the veracity of the claims, but was the signing by Michael verified by an independent source? Any chance he was coached or encouraged? Did he initiate these conversations?
If we can get gorilla's to carry on an intelligent conversations, does that mean theirs hope for mutt?
<quoted text>
Here's a little something I just pulled up:

http://bushmeat.net/michael-and-me.htm

I didn't read through it yet, but from what a quick glance tells me it says some stuff about it.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't see where your link said humans and chimps are the same species.
Because I didn't say that you imbecile.

Humans and other apes are not the same species, however we are all apes, which is not a species in an of itself, but rather a classification within the order Hominidae.

"Ape" is a classification, NOT a species. If you miss this, you are just being deliberately obtuse and contrary.
----------
Pay attention to where it says "FIVE SPECIES" on the order Hominidae.

Hominidae--5 species.
Genera:(plural of genus)
Gorilla, Pan (2 species-Bonobo (P. paniscus) and chimpanzee (P. troglodytes), Pongo pygmaeus, Homo sapiens, Homo floresiensis, Homo ??.

Distribution is Asian and African, worldwide since Pleistocene.
----------
http://bioweb.wku.edu/courses/Biol459/f2000/p...

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/ac...

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>so sick your lawyer alum on them!
Actually, one has offered to take the case pro bono. It's not just about money - it's also about image and branding.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Sorry about the double post. I was at the post office and my phone said it didn't go thru.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
/vent over
Any chance this is about drugs or underage drinking?
One of teh big southern state schools suspended all Greek life last fall over teh drinking/hazing partying issue. My younger girl went to school due west of you and their school had that as an issue a couple years ago.

This might be an effort by National to voluntarily do something that the University was about to impose on them.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Are you really this dense? To say that I cant say something because of how I will be perceived is the same thing as saying DON"T SAY THAT!
Your the one who is trying to muddy the point with "Well, yall can say what ya want but your gonna be percieved...."
Bottom line is both you and sam are trying to prevent me from using a word because it makes you uncomfortable. Your not physically trying to tape my mouth shut, you're trying to do it "Socially" But the end result is the same aint it?
<quoted text>
And I'm dense.

I've said over and over, if you feel the need to say it no one can stop you. It's a well known fact the term is offensive. You disagree or perhaps you are personally offended on how society views certain words and feel that someone is trying to take a word away from you.

It isn't me or Sam or anyone else taking this word away from you. We did not start the usage nor did we start the movement to stop its usage. You cannot be forced to say or not say words.

My personal choice is not to say that word and yes, to me it is offensive. I would not call a person of Mexican decent a wetback and I don't greet the people of Italian decent as wops. I would not call a Jewish person a kike. I wouldn't want to because I try not to offend people if I can help it, words (and others) have meaning and those words hurt people.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
/vent over
I'm sure you're sad to hear that news. What is the name of that sorority?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

If she said that, paired with other knowledge, she could become traceable, which is a bad thing,
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you're sad to hear that news. What is the name of that sorority?
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'm dense.
I've said over and over, if you feel the need to say it no one can stop you. It's a well known fact the term is offensive. You disagree or perhaps you are personally offended on how society views certain words and feel that someone is trying to take a word away from you.
It isn't me or Sam or anyone else taking this word away from you. We did not start the usage nor did we start the movement to stop its usage. You cannot be forced to say or not say words.
My personal choice is not to say that word and yes, to me it is offensive. I would not call a person of Mexican decent a wetback and I don't greet the people of Italian decent as wops. I would not call a Jewish person a kike. I wouldn't want to because I try not to offend people if I can help it, words (and others) have meaning and those words hurt people.
Yeah, Race, you just got smacked down by the Tojmeister, Toj.O, the Tojenator!!! Suuuuuck it!!! No, seriously, have a great weekend. May your beer be warm and your guns jam.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Whatever, you say there is a movement to stop usage of the word, but so far it has only been applied to white people, for blacks its still an acceptable word to use.

Oh, and not to state the obvious, but would not a movement to stop the usage of the word effectively prevent me from saying it?

Yanno is some contries words are actually outlawed, I have no idea how this is enforced but to me the concept of passing a law that makes it illegal to make a series of sounds is asinine, cause thats all words are a simple series of sounds. Its just noise and it can be tuned out or ignored. The only sound I am aware of that has any power at all, is the sound of a crying child. No other sound has any power at all unless you give it power.

Cheers

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'm dense.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

and may you be mistaken for the next pig to goes to market.

I am still better at this than you are porky.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Race, you just got smacked down by the Tojmeister, Toj.O, the Tojenator!!! Suuuuuck it!!! No, seriously, have a great weekend. May your beer be warm and your guns jam.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Any chance this is about drugs or underage drinking?
One of teh big southern state schools suspended all Greek life last fall over teh drinking/hazing partying issue. My younger girl went to school due west of you and their school had that as an issue a couple years ago.

This might be an effort by National to voluntarily do something that the University was about to impose on them.
Nope. Apparently they have been threatening the members for the past 3 semesters, but never indicated to the alumni that it was so serious.

Of course, they were giving us a hard time when I was VP Rush 15 years ago, but I'm not sure what has changed since then.

Their official reasons are:
General chapter management
The inability to recruit and meet campus total
Accountability
Interpersonal communications

The active sisters are shocked and crushed. They weren't given the option to recolonize, just had their charter revoked. They are concerned that the alum are blaming them. Some of us are planning on attending a chapter meeting on Sunday to show our support. They have ~70 active members. They may be one of the smaller sororities on campus, but they are not inconsequential.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure you're sad to hear that news. What is the name of that sorority?
I'm not going to share the name of the sorority here. I'm upset with this decision, but I still have to maintain some loyalty to my sisters :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
Their official reasons are:
General chapter management
The inability to recruit and meet campus total
Accountability
Interpersonal communications
Those seem rather vague. You'd think they'd have given actual specific reasons before now, so you'dh ave a chance to meet requirements.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

delta delta delta can I helpya helpya helpya?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 79,381 - 79,400 of96,123
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]