Topix Chitown Regulars
dahgts

Lyons, IL

#80523 Feb 17, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
It's my turn, Tonka.
Chopin:
Fantasie Impromptu
Etude, Opus 10 No. 4 (Torment)
Carnival of Venice/Variations in A,(Souvegnir de Paganini)
Sonata No.2 in B flat minor, 2nd movement,(Marche Funabre)
Nocturne No.20 in C-Sharp minor (opus posthumous)
Love it,

Miles Davis' Birth of the Cool

Jeru
Darn That Dream
Boplicity
Move
Rocker
dahgts

Lyons, IL

#80524 Feb 17, 2013
ELCY

Schaumburg, IL

#80525 Feb 17, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to apologize. You still can't open up fully here, for privacy reasons, so I'm glad you have found a therapist.
The first year of change is the hardest.
Where's Angelique770 when we need her??!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80526 Feb 17, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Love it,
Miles Davis' Birth of the Cool
Jeru
Darn That Dream
Boplicity
Move
Rocker
I have been copying my CDs (over 500) to itunes. Got to the Ds and didn't remember that I had four Miles Davis CDs!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80527 Feb 17, 2013
Last night I had Nick watch a video of Eddie Van Halen playing "eruption" and I *love* hearing Bach in that song. makes me want to dig out my Tocata in D Minor sheet music and go to town on it!
ann

Deerfield, IL

#80528 Feb 17, 2013
ELCY wrote:
<quoted text>Where's Angelique770 when we need her??!
Catfishing as Princess Sue on other threads. Good place for her.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#80529 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Heart

Mimi I just bought Alice coopers only women bleed!
OMG isn't that a GREAT song?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80530 Feb 17, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG isn't that a GREAT song?
Nick was going through some Alice Cooper songs, and I told him to listen to that one -- he couldn't believe it was the same guy! IT's just so gorgeous.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80531 Feb 17, 2013
Alice Cooper was dating Raquel Welch and dumped her! WTH?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80532 Feb 17, 2013
My college boyfriend took me to see Megadeth and Alice Cooper for my 19th birthday in 1987 (I was not a fan of either).

from wiki:

In 1986, Megadeth was asked to open for Cooper for dates on his US Constrictor tour. After noticing the hardcore abuse of alcohol and other drugs in the band, Cooper personally approached the band members to try to help them control their abuse, and he has stayed close to front man Dave Mustaine, who considers Cooper to be his "godfather".[99] Since overcoming his own addiction to alcohol in the mid-1980s, Cooper has continued to help and counsel other rock musicians with addiction problems. "I've made myself very available to friends of mine – they're people who would call me late at night and say,'Between you and me, I've got a problem.'"[100] In recognition of the work he has done in helping other addicts in the recovery process, Cooper received in 2008 the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award at the fourth annual MusiCares MAP Fund benefit concert in Los Angeles.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80533 Feb 17, 2013
For the republicans here, this was awesome:

Throughout his career, Cooper's philosophy regarding politics is that politics should not be mixed with rock music. He has usually kept his political views to himself, and in 2010 said "I am extremely non-political. I go out of my way to be non-political. I'm probably the biggest moderate you know. When John Lennon and Harry Nilsson used to argue politics, I was sitting right in the middle of them, and I was the guy who was going 'I don't care.' When my parents would start talking politics, I would go in my room and put on The Rolling Stones or The Who on as long as I could to avoid politics. And I still feel that way".[68] On occasion he has spoken out against musicians who promote or opine on politics; for example, in the run-up to the 2004 presidential election, he told the Canadian Press that the then crop of rock stars campaigning for and touring on behalf of Democratic candidate John Kerry were committing "treason against rock n' roll". He also added that upon seeing the list of musicians who supported Kerry, "if I wasn't already a Bush supporter, I would have immediately switched. Linda Ronstadt? Don Henley? Geez, that's a good reason right there to vote for Bush."[
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#80534 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been copying my CDs (over 500) to itunes. Got to the Ds and didn't remember that I had four Miles Davis CDs!
I knew you had some redeeming qualities !! His tunes are great "smokin and screwin" sounds.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#80535 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Alice Cooper was dating Raquel Welch and dumped her! WTH?
He is quite the "pillar of the community" around Scottsdale. Just another suburban family guy. Would run into him at the antique stores. He collects pocket watches.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#80536 Feb 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My college boyfriend took me to see Megadeth and Alice Cooper for my 19th birthday in 1987 (I was not a fan of either).
from wiki:
In 1986, Megadeth was asked to open for Cooper for dates on his US Constrictor tour. After noticing the hardcore abuse of alcohol and other drugs in the band, Cooper personally approached the band members to try to help them control their abuse, and he has stayed close to front man Dave Mustaine, who considers Cooper to be his "godfather".[99] Since overcoming his own addiction to alcohol in the mid-1980s, Cooper has continued to help and counsel other rock musicians with addiction problems. "I've made myself very available to friends of mine – they're people who would call me late at night and say,'Between you and me, I've got a problem.'"[100] In recognition of the work he has done in helping other addicts in the recovery process, Cooper received in 2008 the Stevie Ray Vaughan Award at the fourth annual MusiCares MAP Fund benefit concert in Los Angeles.
I saw that tour! I was way pregnant at the time, but I was there. Different city of course...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80537 Feb 17, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
He is quite the "pillar of the community" around Scottsdale. Just another suburban family guy. Would run into him at the antique stores. He collects pocket watches.
The part in wiki about him mentoring younger musicians who are dealing with substance abuse was outstanding. He cares about people.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80538 Feb 17, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew you had some redeeming qualities !! His tunes are great "smokin and screwin" sounds.
I saw a movie that uses his music throughout:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascenseur_pour_l '%C3%A9chafaud_(soundtrack)

Very odd and interesting film. The music was PERFECT.

The only black guy I've dated was a huge fan and explained to me the legacy of Miles Davis, and the significance of his "imperfect" playing (leaving mistakes in the recordings rather than starting over, etc.).

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80539 Feb 17, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
so would i be a show off by saying that i'm actually sewing tonight, then....?
i'm starting to realize that sewing is cathartic to me, and i'm needing something like that todya, for some reason... <shrug> girl's gotta do waht a girl's gotta do, and if there;s something else at the end of that, all the better...
I used to sew and have been playing with the idea of getting a new machine. I've been thinking, would it be better to get a simple machine like a 70 stitch one or go for the more computerized one and grow into it. Never had a serger, would probably be a good thing.

Then I think I should get the simple one and if I decide to explore further, then purchase another. A back-up simple machine might be a good thing.

Thoughts?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80540 Feb 17, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG isn't that a GREAT song?
I had completely forgot about that song. Just put it up on youtube. Don't think I ever focused that was Alice Cooper before.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80541 Feb 17, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew that!:D
I didn't until like 4-5 years ago.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80542 Feb 17, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to sew and have been playing with the idea of getting a new machine. I've been thinking, would it be better to get a simple machine like a 70 stitch one or go for the more computerized one and grow into it. Never had a serger, would probably be a good thing.
Then I think I should get the simple one and if I decide to explore further, then purchase another. A back-up simple machine might be a good thing.
Thoughts?
I was just talking to two sewing coworkers about this (both made their own wedding dresses!). They felt that rather than buying a cheaper new one (for simple things), a better way to go would be to buy a nice used one on Craigslist. Like, better to buy one that retailed for $200 (and I know, that's no fancy sewing machine, but you also can get them for $100 or less) or more, and get it used, than to get that $100 at Target brand new.

FWIW.

I just want a sewing machine for simple things: Hemming pants, making pillows/mending pillow cases (I have some vintage ones from estate sales), making simple curtains, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min MICHA 1,432,842
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques in Ottawa 225,380
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr PEllen 2,072
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr PEllen 6,753
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr PEllen 3,193
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr PEllen 9,542
News 15-year-old Chicago boya s burned body found in... 2 hr Well Well 4
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr Retired SOF 1,706

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages