Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Yes, I do it all the time because i really am a moron and incapable of independent thought.

I had no idea that shouting the n word in a black community might cause rancor and discord among the locals. I was amazed that I did not realize that they may even take offense to me exercising my right to free speech. How could I have been so clueless?

Thank you toj! Thank you so much for enlightening me and helping me to understand the possible unsavory consequences of my actions.

Guess its a good thing you were here to further the discussion,'cause you know, I'm stupid an all.

There, now I insulted myself too! Happy now?

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I was furthering the discussion and did not call you names. I wasn't dressing you down but it's interesting that you thought I was and more insight into your thinking. I was explaining my point of view. Do you always call people names when you have nothing to further the discussion? You seem to do that a lot with Sam so I'm wondering if this is a general thing with you.
I think this is interesting and something I might bring to my next get together with my gf's --
http://www.biospace.com/News/do-you-really-kn...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

The voice of experience....
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Having your shortcomings as a person pointed out would be frustrating for anyone, especially when you can't defend them. And lashing out is easier than reason.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Number one, people are not getting fired and evicted for being gay. Not sure where you're getting your news from. Number two, nobody has a "right" to an apartment, nobody has a "right" to a job, and nobody has a "right" to marry.
Yes, they ARE fired for being gay. They DO get evicted for being gay (the LL finds out that someone has a boyfriend sleeping over on weekends for example, but wouldn't evict if it were an opposite sex couple).

You really have no comprehension about how discrimination works.

I'm not sure how you go through life. Do you even know to wipe your own ass afte ryou take a dump?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a whole This American Life about the supposed urban myth that lots of what is served as fried calamri in restaurants is actually pork bung.
They actually got some, fried it up and did a blind taste test with some calamri lovers and they could not tell the difference.
I never ate calamri before - I think cephalapods rock and can't bring myself to eat one - but if I had, I never would again.
I heard that on TAL and was so glad that I've never had calamari in my life!

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

get your mind out of the gutter piggy, it aint happening
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dressing yourself down.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Number one, people are not getting fired and evicted for being gay. Not sure where you're getting your news from. Number two, nobody has a "right" to an apartment, nobody has a "right" to a job, and nobody has a "right" to marry.
And actually, you're wrong. Straights have the right to get married. I have the right to NOT be evicted from my apartment based on my skin color, my religious beliefs, my ethnicity, and my gender. Or because I have children. But if a ll found out I was gay, I legally can be evicted.(Not in Minnesota -- it's illegal in Minnesota to do that. But in 30 states, it's completely legal and DOES happen.)

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Are you really this dense? To say that I cant say something because of how I will be perceived is the same thing as saying DON"T SAY THAT!

Your the one who is trying to muddy the point with "Well, yall can say what ya want but your gonna be percieved...."

Bottom line is both you and sam are trying to prevent me from using a word because it makes you uncomfortable. Your not physically trying to tape my mouth shut, you're trying to do it "Socially" But the end result is the same aint it?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
key words here, bub -- "prevailing opinion" and the fact that she said "If you dono't get that..."
What she is saying is that you would be viewed as racist to the general public using those terms. She's not saying she's going to sew your mouth shut.
Again, she's talking about perception.
Why do people need every single word written in order to get the theme? Do you really? Do you really need people to qualify this with, "You can say it but, generally..."
I believe people, generally, in my viewpoint, believe that you cannot make peopole not say things.
I also believfe Sam does not think she can stop you from saying anything and is writing generally about perception of society.
You taking it extremely literally is very tiring. To me. I do not think everyone on this planet sees it the same way. I'm speaking in the terms of how I view society would take it.
You may have a different viewpoint. If you did, I would strongly disagree.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
oh geez, just go back and read the def if racism I posted. If your not going to then just shut up and admit your still wrong.
<quoted text>
Not going to go back and search for anything. I don't make you search, I opint you directly to anything to which I refer. Here is the Merriam-Webster definition, as good as any:

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2: racial prejudice or discrimination

I am going to carzily maintain my position that "fat" and "skinny" are not races and that you are a moron for characterizing a skinny person calling someone fat would be a "racist" comment. You're actually a moron for a lot of reasons, but this is the current example.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know to wipe your own ass afte ryou take a dump?
Who says he does? That's quite a leap of faith on your part.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Are you really this dense? To say that I cant say something because of how I will be perceived is the same thing as saying DON"T SAY THAT!
Your the one who is trying to muddy the point with "Well, yall can say what ya want but your gonna be percieved...."
Bottom line is both you and sam are trying to prevent me from using a word because it makes you uncomfortable. Your not physically trying to tape my mouth shut, you're trying to do it "Socially" But the end result is the same aint it?
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should go to the dictionary and try to absorb the difference between the definitions of "prevent" and "discourage." You certainly CAN say whatever you want. I assume you (unfortunately) are not a mute. However, you should be discouraged from saying certain things due to the manner in which those things will be received and the effect they will have on people. It's really not that difficult a concept to grasp if you're not blinded by animosity.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple: Would you say the N-word to a black person?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mother might not have had racist ideas about what she was saying; she was just calling it what her elders had called it.
But the culture that spawned those terms was racist and if you don't know that, then you didn't pay attention in high school history class.
Oh, and here's the wiki entry about eeny, meeny etc, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eenie_Meanie_Min...
I have been chastised for calling a spade a spade, something I thought was from bidding in bridge. I have been advised to refer to monsters under the bed rather than the boogeyman.

Sometimes words which start in one context morph into something esle which is either offensive to someone and tehn they get absorbed into teh general language without reference to the origins. Language is fluid that way. Just ask all those Latin speakers.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Maybe you should dinglberry, your the one who said I "cant" not that I "shouldn't" Apparently asking you to say what you mean instead of having us guess is an unreasonable request.

Stop trying to rewrite you own history.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should go to the dictionary and try to absorb the difference between the definitions of "prevent" and "discourage."

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Like your position carries any weight. I provided a definition that cleary stated that "groups" were also enlisted in racism and such example were the irish and english, which I think even we can agree they they are the same "race".

But keep ignoring any fact presented that disagrees with your childish views.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Not going to go back and search for anything. I don't make you search, I opint you directly to anything to which I refer. Here is the Merriam-Webster definition, as good as any:
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2: racial prejudice or discrimination
I am going to carzily maintain my position that "fat" and "skinny" are not races and that you are a moron for characterizing a skinny person calling someone fat would be a "racist" comment. You're actually a moron for a lot of reasons, but this is the current example.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
YUM! I love scallops! A guy at work was going to prepare scallops for himself and his wife tonight, too!
There's a very good fish store taht we go to every once in awhile. It's one of htose places that's close but thisfar out of our usual territory so it's not a weekly thing. they'll tell you what's especially special, seasonal, etc., and how best to prepare it. yummy. i'm much more apt to try somethign new from them than from anywhere else.

Pelly, Squishy - it's Burhops in Glenview
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Maybe you should dinglberry, your the one who said I "cant" not that I "shouldn't" Apparently asking you to say what you mean instead of having us guess is an unreasonable request.
Stop trying to rewrite you own history.
<quoted text>
It's kind of hard to re-write what's there in black-and-white in post 80304 which refers back to another post which you conveniently continue to ignore because you want to fabricate an argument:

RACE wrote:
Then you seem to be at odds with sam. She clearly stated I was not allowed to use that word.
If I want to use the word, I will. And I will face any negative reaction that stems from it.
And If I want to say that our president looks like curious george, I will and if that offends anyone, again I will face that reaction.
But I will not be told I cannot say these things, and I will not be told I have no right to say them.
Now please tell me whether the monkey on the bed song is racist.
<quoted text>
Hey dum dum, not at odds. You're at odds with intelligence and reading comprehension. From post #80245: "And you can say whatever you want (please please please show me where I said you couldn't), but others equally have the right to characterize what you say."

Also, see Toj's post 80305.

You're such a martyr that's you'll make stuff up just to maintain a conflict. It appears you might have contracted a case of Muttitis.

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
How is your grandmother doing?
Eh, she's hanging in, hanging on.... no real change, but the continued slide. last week, she was telling her brohter that it woudl be good to see him next october, but she didn't htink their sister would be up for a visit... brother was not specifically saying it would be october (their traditional visit month) that he would come up for a visit... she doesn't seem to accept or acknowledge that she's nearing the end of the line.:-( i'm not sure any more how to respond to her when she talks like that.

her nursing staff take good care of her. we like them.

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ok, I am not, at all, a big seafood person, so I never get adventurous. I have never had scallops. What are they similar to?
I've done crab, lobster, and shrimp (like) clams, mussels, oysters, cockles(sp?), and some other ones like those (DISLIKE) Octopus and calamari are yucky. White fish is o...k... and dark fish is gross.
Soooo would I like scallops?
I haven't read all the way through, so sorry if i repeat anything...:-)

They are sometimes called Marshmallows of teh Sea. they are firm, more like a piece of halibut would be, they're not flaky like fish though. they do get a sweet flavor to them when htye're cooked. they're easy to cook, just a couple minutes per side, salt & pepper and real butter. soemtime if you make it to a quality restaurant, ask if you could try one. if you buy them from a store, better to get them from a fish monger or someplace like whole foods and not from teh safeway/albertson's/etc.

and i agree wiht you on octopus & calamari. just on prinicple of their texture i don't like them!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

OMG, now my mouth literally is watering for scallops!

I've never prepared them myself and it's expensvie to order them at a restaurant (but I don't let price disuade me). I definitely need to try cooking them myself. I know it's not difficult and they cook up quickly.

Guy at work made scallops with pesto last night. It sounded AMAZING.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Sam #80226
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period. If you don't get that, you move to the head of the line of the TSTI club.
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period.
You don't compare black people to monkeys. PERIOD.
PERIOD.
PERIOD.
PERIOD.PERIOD.PERIOD.

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
It's kind of hard to re-write what's there in black-and-white in post 80304 which refers back to another post which you conveniently continue to ignore because you want to fabricate an argument:
RACE wrote:
Then you seem to be at odds with sam. She clearly stated I was not allowed to use that word.

(please please please show me where I said you couldn't)
What fries with your crow?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 79,321 - 79,340 of97,507
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

88 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min THE DEVIL 1,077,834
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min wojar 174,404
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 9 min Drone me 1,852
Cheap Tomatoes 9 min Straw Boss 2
Voice of God Weapon 10 min Hear Ye Hear Ye 1
Anti-Jewish leaflets: Anti-Semitic hate message... 15 min Sounds good 3
East And West Threatens To Plunge The Globe Int... 17 min Michael Snyder 1
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••