Comments
79,321 - 79,340 of 97,936 Comments Last updated 52 min ago
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80405 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
Are you really this dense? To say that I cant say something because of how I will be perceived is the same thing as saying DON"T SAY THAT!
Your the one who is trying to muddy the point with "Well, yall can say what ya want but your gonna be percieved...."
Bottom line is both you and sam are trying to prevent me from using a word because it makes you uncomfortable. Your not physically trying to tape my mouth shut, you're trying to do it "Socially" But the end result is the same aint it?
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should go to the dictionary and try to absorb the difference between the definitions of "prevent" and "discourage." You certainly CAN say whatever you want. I assume you (unfortunately) are not a mute. However, you should be discouraged from saying certain things due to the manner in which those things will be received and the effect they will have on people. It's really not that difficult a concept to grasp if you're not blinded by animosity.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80406 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
Are you really this dense? To say that I cant say something because of how I will be perceived is the same thing as saying DON"T SAY THAT!
Your the one who is trying to muddy the point with "Well, yall can say what ya want but your gonna be percieved...."
Bottom line is both you and sam are trying to prevent me from using a word because it makes you uncomfortable. Your not physically trying to tape my mouth shut, you're trying to do it "Socially" But the end result is the same aint it?
<quoted text>
Simple: Would you say the N-word to a black person?
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80407 Feb 15, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mother might not have had racist ideas about what she was saying; she was just calling it what her elders had called it.
But the culture that spawned those terms was racist and if you don't know that, then you didn't pay attention in high school history class.
Oh, and here's the wiki entry about eeny, meeny etc, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eenie_Meanie_Min...
I have been chastised for calling a spade a spade, something I thought was from bidding in bridge. I have been advised to refer to monsters under the bed rather than the boogeyman.

Sometimes words which start in one context morph into something esle which is either offensive to someone and tehn they get absorbed into teh general language without reference to the origins. Language is fluid that way. Just ask all those Latin speakers.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80408 Feb 15, 2013
Maybe you should dinglberry, your the one who said I "cant" not that I "shouldn't" Apparently asking you to say what you mean instead of having us guess is an unreasonable request.

Stop trying to rewrite you own history.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should go to the dictionary and try to absorb the difference between the definitions of "prevent" and "discourage."

Neda, stay with me!

#80409 Feb 15, 2013
Like your position carries any weight. I provided a definition that cleary stated that "groups" were also enlisted in racism and such example were the irish and english, which I think even we can agree they they are the same "race".

But keep ignoring any fact presented that disagrees with your childish views.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Not going to go back and search for anything. I don't make you search, I opint you directly to anything to which I refer. Here is the Merriam-Webster definition, as good as any:
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2: racial prejudice or discrimination
I am going to carzily maintain my position that "fat" and "skinny" are not races and that you are a moron for characterizing a skinny person calling someone fat would be a "racist" comment. You're actually a moron for a lot of reasons, but this is the current example.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#80410 Feb 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
YUM! I love scallops! A guy at work was going to prepare scallops for himself and his wife tonight, too!
There's a very good fish store taht we go to every once in awhile. It's one of htose places that's close but thisfar out of our usual territory so it's not a weekly thing. they'll tell you what's especially special, seasonal, etc., and how best to prepare it. yummy. i'm much more apt to try somethign new from them than from anywhere else.

Pelly, Squishy - it's Burhops in Glenview
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80411 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
Maybe you should dinglberry, your the one who said I "cant" not that I "shouldn't" Apparently asking you to say what you mean instead of having us guess is an unreasonable request.
Stop trying to rewrite you own history.
<quoted text>
It's kind of hard to re-write what's there in black-and-white in post 80304 which refers back to another post which you conveniently continue to ignore because you want to fabricate an argument:

RACE wrote:
Then you seem to be at odds with sam. She clearly stated I was not allowed to use that word.
If I want to use the word, I will. And I will face any negative reaction that stems from it.
And If I want to say that our president looks like curious george, I will and if that offends anyone, again I will face that reaction.
But I will not be told I cannot say these things, and I will not be told I have no right to say them.
Now please tell me whether the monkey on the bed song is racist.
<quoted text>
Hey dum dum, not at odds. You're at odds with intelligence and reading comprehension. From post #80245: "And you can say whatever you want (please please please show me where I said you couldn't), but others equally have the right to characterize what you say."

Also, see Toj's post 80305.

You're such a martyr that's you'll make stuff up just to maintain a conflict. It appears you might have contracted a case of Muttitis.

Schaumburg, IL

#80412 Feb 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
How is your grandmother doing?
Eh, she's hanging in, hanging on.... no real change, but the continued slide. last week, she was telling her brohter that it woudl be good to see him next october, but she didn't htink their sister would be up for a visit... brother was not specifically saying it would be october (their traditional visit month) that he would come up for a visit... she doesn't seem to accept or acknowledge that she's nearing the end of the line.:-( i'm not sure any more how to respond to her when she talks like that.

her nursing staff take good care of her. we like them.

Schaumburg, IL

#80413 Feb 15, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ok, I am not, at all, a big seafood person, so I never get adventurous. I have never had scallops. What are they similar to?
I've done crab, lobster, and shrimp (like) clams, mussels, oysters, cockles(sp?), and some other ones like those (DISLIKE) Octopus and calamari are yucky. White fish is o...k... and dark fish is gross.
Soooo would I like scallops?
I haven't read all the way through, so sorry if i repeat anything...:-)

They are sometimes called Marshmallows of teh Sea. they are firm, more like a piece of halibut would be, they're not flaky like fish though. they do get a sweet flavor to them when htye're cooked. they're easy to cook, just a couple minutes per side, salt & pepper and real butter. soemtime if you make it to a quality restaurant, ask if you could try one. if you buy them from a store, better to get them from a fish monger or someplace like whole foods and not from teh safeway/albertson's/etc.

and i agree wiht you on octopus & calamari. just on prinicple of their texture i don't like them!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80414 Feb 15, 2013
OMG, now my mouth literally is watering for scallops!

I've never prepared them myself and it's expensvie to order them at a restaurant (but I don't let price disuade me). I definitely need to try cooking them myself. I know it's not difficult and they cook up quickly.

Guy at work made scallops with pesto last night. It sounded AMAZING.

Neda, stay with me!

#80415 Feb 15, 2013
Sam #80226
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period. If you don't get that, you move to the head of the line of the TSTI club.
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period.
You don't compare black people to monkeys. PERIOD.
PERIOD.
PERIOD.
PERIOD.PERIOD.PERIOD.

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
It's kind of hard to re-write what's there in black-and-white in post 80304 which refers back to another post which you conveniently continue to ignore because you want to fabricate an argument:
RACE wrote:
Then you seem to be at odds with sam. She clearly stated I was not allowed to use that word.

(please please please show me where I said you couldn't)
What fries with your crow?
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80416 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
Like your position carries any weight. I provided a definition that cleary stated that "groups" were also enlisted in racism and such example were the irish and english, which I think even we can agree they they are the same "race".
But keep ignoring any fact presented that disagrees with your childish views.
<quoted text>
So you extrapolate that to physical characteristics? So you can be racist toward redheads? Toward short people? Toward people with big ears? That is not racism by any definition. A skinny person calling someone fat is not racism by any definition. And you saying it over and over will never make it so.

Try and wrap your feeble little mind around this: All racism is discriminatory, but not all discrimination is racism. If you smell smoke or blood starts to trickle out of your ears, stop trying to think, take a couple aspirin and lie down for a bit.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80417 Feb 15, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a very good fish store taht we go to every once in awhile. It's one of htose places that's close but thisfar out of our usual territory so it's not a weekly thing. they'll tell you what's especially special, seasonal, etc., and how best to prepare it. yummy. i'm much more apt to try somethign new from them than from anywhere else.
Pelly, Squishy - it's Burhops in Glenview
Yum- I go to that one or teh one in Plaza Del Lago.

Red-if you still get Cook's Illustrated I seem to recall they had a piece on cooking scallops so they don't get too watery
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80418 Feb 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I've never prepared them myself and it's expensvie to order them at a restaurant (but I don't let price disuade me). I definitely need to try cooking them myself. I know it's not difficult and they cook up quickly.
There is a market just west of the loop where you can get fresh fresh fresh seafood, including beautiful ocean scallops. I've gotten pretty decent at making them. You just have to get a feel for the right temperature and when to turn them. I ruined quite a few but I finally got it. Also, dry them off really good, butter, hot pan, salt, pepper, parsley. Soooo tasty.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80419 Feb 15, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh, she's hanging in, hanging on.... no real change, but the continued slide. last week, she was telling her brohter that it woudl be good to see him next october, but she didn't htink their sister would be up for a visit... brother was not specifically saying it would be october (their traditional visit month) that he would come up for a visit... she doesn't seem to accept or acknowledge that she's nearing the end of the line.:-( i'm not sure any more how to respond to her when she talks like that.
her nursing staff take good care of her. we like them.
I suppose it gives her something to look forward to. My mom's boyfriend is d=ying, mom thought he'd be dead by Christmas, but he's hanging in there. He has a grandbaby due in March, I think, so he's hanging in there for that.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#80420 Feb 15, 2013
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80421 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
Sam #80226
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period. If you don't get that, you move to the head of the line of the TSTI club.
You don't compare black people to monkeys. PERIOD.
PERIOD.
PERIOD.
PERIOD.PERIOD.PERIOD.
<quoted text>
What fries with your crow?
No crow, dum dum. You are being deliberately obtuse. I explicitly stated in the post I cited to that you can say whatever you want, and you can face how people will characterize and respond. I have said the same thing multiple times now. I would have hoped that you'd have something better to do with your time than fabricate dischord, apparently I was mistaken.

You haven't answered yet: Would you call a black person the N-word? It's your right to do so, right? No limitations on who can use what words, right? Would you do it?

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#80422 Feb 15, 2013
angela wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know much.
Primates can use sign language and form sentences, and the research into it shows they even show a concept of language and create sentences they never were taught. They also know how to lie to cover their misdeeds.
Koko (gorilla) once blamed something on the cat. Another time when Penny (the researcher) had a guest, Koko got into the guest's purse and stole a lipstick. She then created art on a wall. When Penny asked her what happened, Koko signed "Michael did it." Michael was (he's dead now) another gorilla at the center.

Speaking of Michael, he was rescued from poachers who had taken him from the bush when he was like two. Talking to Penny one day he described watching the men with guns kill his mother and cut her head off. That was like 20 years after the fact. So, yeah just as smart as cats and dogs./eyeroll

Schaumburg, IL

#80423 Feb 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
They;re so easy to cook at home!! easier than regular fish! wehn you want to try, let me nkwo and i'll let you nkow how we do them. or PM me with your e-mail, and i''ll send it to you anyway! This is one thing where it's "go big or go home' when it comes to getting the right stuff from teh right source(s).

Schaumburg, IL

#80424 Feb 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yum- I go to that one or teh one in Plaza Del Lago.
Red-if you still get Cook's Illustrated I seem to recall they had a piece on cooking scallops so they don't get too watery
Plaza del Lago is actyually a different company! I'm not sure if it's a family tiff or what, but they are separate. the glenview one is the same company as the hinsdale one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Donnie 1,100,270
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 12 min boundary painter 571
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min gcaveman1 46,326
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 16 min boundary painter 300
Amy 8-30 20 min boundary painter 3
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 21 min J RULES 68,992
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 23 min Dick Topick 49,520
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 43 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,400
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago