Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80385 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. My mother as a child used "catch a n**r by the toe" all the time and thought nothing of it, it was just how the phrase went. She also called brazil nuts "n**r toes." Again, it's just what they used to be called. Racism had nothing to do with it.
Not realizing it doesn't mean it wasn't. She and you didn't realize it. It was very racist.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80386 Feb 15, 2013
When I was in the service the words cracker and N were passed between all of us, it was never used to be insulting (okay occasionally but it was dealt with), it served to highlight our differences, but those differences helped us to develop an appreciation for each other and our cultures.
Maybe thats why I have a different view of things here, I was actually immersed in an environment where you had to learn to tolerate each other, there was no PR dept, no liberals looking out for any slight injustice. We were a unit and we functioned as one both on the job and off. You dont care what color skin the guy who has your back is sporting.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never had a black person use "white people" in a conversation to me other than pointing out the one white person among different races when trying to identify someone or in a context where we were talking about the different viewpoints of people generally and our thoughts. Always used respectfully. I've never had a black person I know call me "cracker" which would be more akin to the n-word I suppose but not quite.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80387 Feb 15, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I would guess the vast majority of people at least 50 and under would agree. Even black kids.
65 and younger. In the early 1950's it was Tiger at the time when Rochester was on Jack Benny and Amos and Andy was on at lunchtime.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80388 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
Sam #80226
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period. If you don't get that, you move to the head of the line of the TSTI club.
sam #80245
The prevailing opinion of comparing the appearance of a black person to a monkey is that it is wrong and offensive.
<quoted text>
Sure reads to me like somebody is saying I cant do something.
key words here, bub -- "prevailing opinion" and the fact that she said "If you dono't get that..."

What she is saying is that you would be viewed as racist to the general public using those terms. She's not saying she's going to sew your mouth shut.

Again, she's talking about perception.

Why do people need every single word written in order to get the theme? Do you really? Do you really need people to qualify this with, "You can say it but, generally..."

I believe people, generally, in my viewpoint, believe that you cannot make peopole not say things.

I also believfe Sam does not think she can stop you from saying anything and is writing generally about perception of society.

You taking it extremely literally is very tiring. To me. I do not think everyone on this planet sees it the same way. I'm speaking in the terms of how I view society would take it.

You may have a different viewpoint. If you did, I would strongly disagree.

Neda, stay with me!

#80389 Feb 15, 2013
oh geez, just go back and read the def if racism I posted. If your not going to then just shut up and admit your still wrong.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
You: "For a skinny person to use [fat] is racist...."
Nice attempt at backtracking. You do realize that your prior posts are still there, right?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80390 Feb 15, 2013
Geez, sorry for all those typos. I'm hungry and it's early for lunch. That's my excuse!(Don't believe it for a second (although I am hungry). I did not proofread which I should have done.)
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80391 Feb 15, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, rubbery ones are overdone, or they used something else and called it scallops.
I thought they pretty much stopped that. It was teh bigger sea scallops that were pieces of pollack as I recall. The little bay scallop were too small to be counterfeited .

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#80392 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. My mother as a child used "catch a n**r by the toe" all the time and thought nothing of it, it was just how the phrase went. She also called brazil nuts "n**r toes." Again, it's just what they used to be called. Racism had nothing to do with it.
Your mother might not have had racist ideas about what she was saying; she was just calling it what her elders had called it.

But the culture that spawned those terms was racist and if you don't know that, then you didn't pay attention in high school history class.

Oh, and here's the wiki entry about eeny, meeny etc, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eenie_Meanie_Min...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80393 Feb 15, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the difference:
- The right to federal benefits. States that allow some type of same-sex union are able to grant only state rights. The Defense of Marriage Act passed in 1996 prohibits same-sex couples from receiving federal marriage rights and benefits.
- Portability. Because civil unions are not recognized by all states, such agreements are not always valid when couples cross state lines.
- Terminology. "Marriage" is a term that conveys societal and cultural meaning, important to both gay rights activists and those who don't believe gays should marry.
Also, it comes into play for deportation as well as military benefits.

Location hidden

#80394 Feb 15, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. I didn't think of that. There was something on the news about fish isn't being labelled corrected -- even to the stores and restaurants. They don't even realize they've been duped.
I think that's why there's such a movement, and restaurants making available, for source information for fish.
Basically, on average (and it depends on where you live in the U.S.) over half the time you order fish in a restaurant, you're getting something that's a whole different species of fish than what you ordered.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80395 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
When I was in the service the words cracker and N were passed between all of us, it was never used to be insulting (okay occasionally but it was dealt with), it served to highlight our differences, but those differences helped us to develop an appreciation for each other and our cultures.
Maybe thats why I have a different view of things here, I was actually immersed in an environment where you had to learn to tolerate each other, there was no PR dept, no liberals looking out for any slight injustice. We were a unit and we functioned as one both on the job and off. You dont care what color skin the guy who has your back is sporting.
<quoted text>
No. I'm not buying it. It has nothing to do with liberals or conservatives. It has to do with the fact you were in the military with people you knew who knew you.

I can say many things to my very good friends that I would not say out in the general public. That's b/c they KNOW my viewpoints and know how I feel about certain issues. I view your miltary stint with people in the same way. You're with a group of people that you come to know and know their ways.

I also never said anything to my mother when I was young who would use very derogatory terms and was a racist. Not a full-fledged KKK but she did grow up in the South and thought many things that would be unthinkable today but was an every day thought for her back then. I didn't say anything b/c I knew I would not change her view. She came to learn a good many things in her life including not to say the n-word. But that was her learning experience.

Neda, stay with me!

#80396 Feb 15, 2013
Yes, I do it all the time because i really am a moron and incapable of independent thought.

I had no idea that shouting the n word in a black community might cause rancor and discord among the locals. I was amazed that I did not realize that they may even take offense to me exercising my right to free speech. How could I have been so clueless?

Thank you toj! Thank you so much for enlightening me and helping me to understand the possible unsavory consequences of my actions.

Guess its a good thing you were here to further the discussion,'cause you know, I'm stupid an all.

There, now I insulted myself too! Happy now?

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I was furthering the discussion and did not call you names. I wasn't dressing you down but it's interesting that you thought I was and more insight into your thinking. I was explaining my point of view. Do you always call people names when you have nothing to further the discussion? You seem to do that a lot with Sam so I'm wondering if this is a general thing with you.
I think this is interesting and something I might bring to my next get together with my gf's --
http://www.biospace.com/News/do-you-really-kn...

Neda, stay with me!

#80397 Feb 15, 2013
The voice of experience....
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Having your shortcomings as a person pointed out would be frustrating for anyone, especially when you can't defend them. And lashing out is easier than reason.

Location hidden

#80398 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Number one, people are not getting fired and evicted for being gay. Not sure where you're getting your news from. Number two, nobody has a "right" to an apartment, nobody has a "right" to a job, and nobody has a "right" to marry.
Yes, they ARE fired for being gay. They DO get evicted for being gay (the LL finds out that someone has a boyfriend sleeping over on weekends for example, but wouldn't evict if it were an opposite sex couple).

You really have no comprehension about how discrimination works.

I'm not sure how you go through life. Do you even know to wipe your own ass afte ryou take a dump?

Location hidden

#80399 Feb 15, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a whole This American Life about the supposed urban myth that lots of what is served as fried calamri in restaurants is actually pork bung.
They actually got some, fried it up and did a blind taste test with some calamri lovers and they could not tell the difference.
I never ate calamri before - I think cephalapods rock and can't bring myself to eat one - but if I had, I never would again.
I heard that on TAL and was so glad that I've never had calamari in my life!

Neda, stay with me!

#80400 Feb 15, 2013
get your mind out of the gutter piggy, it aint happening
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
You're dressing yourself down.

Location hidden

#80401 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Number one, people are not getting fired and evicted for being gay. Not sure where you're getting your news from. Number two, nobody has a "right" to an apartment, nobody has a "right" to a job, and nobody has a "right" to marry.
And actually, you're wrong. Straights have the right to get married. I have the right to NOT be evicted from my apartment based on my skin color, my religious beliefs, my ethnicity, and my gender. Or because I have children. But if a ll found out I was gay, I legally can be evicted.(Not in Minnesota -- it's illegal in Minnesota to do that. But in 30 states, it's completely legal and DOES happen.)

Neda, stay with me!

#80402 Feb 15, 2013
Are you really this dense? To say that I cant say something because of how I will be perceived is the same thing as saying DON"T SAY THAT!

Your the one who is trying to muddy the point with "Well, yall can say what ya want but your gonna be percieved...."

Bottom line is both you and sam are trying to prevent me from using a word because it makes you uncomfortable. Your not physically trying to tape my mouth shut, you're trying to do it "Socially" But the end result is the same aint it?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
key words here, bub -- "prevailing opinion" and the fact that she said "If you dono't get that..."
What she is saying is that you would be viewed as racist to the general public using those terms. She's not saying she's going to sew your mouth shut.
Again, she's talking about perception.
Why do people need every single word written in order to get the theme? Do you really? Do you really need people to qualify this with, "You can say it but, generally..."
I believe people, generally, in my viewpoint, believe that you cannot make peopole not say things.
I also believfe Sam does not think she can stop you from saying anything and is writing generally about perception of society.
You taking it extremely literally is very tiring. To me. I do not think everyone on this planet sees it the same way. I'm speaking in the terms of how I view society would take it.
You may have a different viewpoint. If you did, I would strongly disagree.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80403 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
oh geez, just go back and read the def if racism I posted. If your not going to then just shut up and admit your still wrong.
<quoted text>
Not going to go back and search for anything. I don't make you search, I opint you directly to anything to which I refer. Here is the Merriam-Webster definition, as good as any:

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2: racial prejudice or discrimination

I am going to carzily maintain my position that "fat" and "skinny" are not races and that you are a moron for characterizing a skinny person calling someone fat would be a "racist" comment. You're actually a moron for a lot of reasons, but this is the current example.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80404 Feb 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know to wipe your own ass afte ryou take a dump?
Who says he does? That's quite a leap of faith on your part.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min The Ghost of Tony... 1,129,692
Abby 10-30 31 min Toj 29
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr gimpyolman 50,791
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 47,611
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Learn to Read 179,691
A young black kid asks his mother, "Mama what's... 1 hr AintItThe truth 13
Democraps join Fergie lynch mobs. 1 hr Lets get whitey 2

High Wind Warning for Cook County was issued at October 31 at 9:05AM CDT

Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]