|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me an ape that invented something, composed music, can do math, speak a language, and I'll agree with you. Monkeys and apes are no more intelligent than a house-hold dog.
And I'll remind you that you (or science) still can't empirically prove what exactly homosapiens evolved from.
So there.
n ape invented the light bulb, phonograph, and movie camera.
An ape invented the printing press.
An ape invented the computer.
An ape invented the telephone.
An ape composed "In the Hall of the Mountain King"
An ape wrote "King Lear"
etc., etc., etc.

FOR THE RECORD, it's "Homo sapiens" just like that, genus capitalized, species not capitalized, TWO words, and it should be italic, but I can't do that here.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not. a scallop is a bivalve, like mussels and cockles, so if you don't like them, you probably wouldn't like scallops either. Whether you like any of them depends a lot on how they are prepared though, so you may want to try anyhow, at a good restaurant.
Thank you. I kind of figured they would be similar to other bivalves, hence my reluctance to even try them. I might wait until someone else (like my niece or sister...not just some random person) orders them and then ask for a bite (before anyone eats anything of course)...just to try it.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Number one, people are not getting fired and evicted for being gay. Not sure where you're getting your news from. Number two, nobody has a "right" to an apartment, nobody has a "right" to a job, and nobody has a "right" to marry.
Number one -- down. https://www.friendfactor.org/in-29-states-hou...

Sometimes it's not about rights directly taken from the Constitution but what the laws are and what is fair in the general view. Sorta like traffic laws -- it's not discussed in the Constitution nor do you have a right to drive a car. This isn't a political thread (or isn't suppose to be) but what certain people's view are and how they are perceived IMNSHO.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. I kind of figured they would be similar to other bivalves, hence my reluctance to even try them. I might wait until someone else (like my niece or sister...not just some random person) orders them and then ask for a bite (before anyone eats anything of course)...just to try it.
If you lived close I would so take you out to dinner so you could try it. If you didn't like it I would finish your plate! I would hope you didn't like them, but you would.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is to you but for Mimi as the subjet matter expert.
Does the mitochondrial dna work address his question or is the validity of that onfoned to a particular species?
I'm not sure what your question is. Edog didn't really have a question, but mitochondrial DNA helps us to connect the dots, but you have to keep in mind that it's only traceable along the X chromosome, so that leaves out the XY people all together.

After about 50,000 years, DNA becomes pretty much unsealable unless it's been in stasis in some kind of well controlled environment (hence no Jurassic Park). This is why in the Homo line we pretty much can only use H. sapiens, H. neanderthalensis, H. denisovan, and H. florensis right now to trace the human lineage. The same applies to other apes both extant and extinct, there is a 50,000 year limit on DNA...IF it can be extracted.

Also, I'm not a biologist/geneticist, so this is really not my main area of research. I just know *some* stuff.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> So you're saying back in the good old days, people were not so sensitive and you could toss around the N-word more freely and it was ok?
Yes! This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. My mother as a child used "catch a n**r by the toe" all the time and thought nothing of it, it was just how the phrase went. She also called brazil nuts "n**r toes." Again, it's just what they used to be called. Racism had nothing to do with it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
n ape invented the light bulb, phonograph, and movie camera.
An ape invented the printing press.
An ape invented the computer.
An ape invented the telephone.
An ape composed "In the Hall of the Mountain King"
An ape wrote "King Lear"
etc., etc., etc.
FOR THE RECORD, it's "Homo sapiens" just like that, genus capitalized, species not capitalized, TWO words, and it should be italic, but I can't do that here.
I run the word together because h0m o usually gets flagged. And HUMANS ARE NOT APES! We are two different species.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Sam #80226
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period. If you don't get that, you move to the head of the line of the TSTI club.

sam #80245

The prevailing opinion of comparing the appearance of a black person to a monkey is that it is wrong and offensive.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>

Who is telling you that you cannot use the words? I don't read anywhere here anyone telling you that you cannot use it except in the context of not using it if you don't want a bad reaction.
Are you saying you want to control other people's reactions to certain words? Because you can't. You can't control other people's reactions, including your weird reaction to this discussion.
If you want to change people's reactions, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.
Sure reads to me like somebody is saying I cant do something.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. My mother as a child used "catch a n**r by the toe" all the time and thought nothing of it, it was just how the phrase went. She also called brazil nuts "n**r toes." Again, it's just what they used to be called. Racism had nothing to do with it.
Not realizing it doesn't mean it wasn't. She and you didn't realize it. It was very racist.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

When I was in the service the words cracker and N were passed between all of us, it was never used to be insulting (okay occasionally but it was dealt with), it served to highlight our differences, but those differences helped us to develop an appreciation for each other and our cultures.
Maybe thats why I have a different view of things here, I was actually immersed in an environment where you had to learn to tolerate each other, there was no PR dept, no liberals looking out for any slight injustice. We were a unit and we functioned as one both on the job and off. You dont care what color skin the guy who has your back is sporting.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never had a black person use "white people" in a conversation to me other than pointing out the one white person among different races when trying to identify someone or in a context where we were talking about the different viewpoints of people generally and our thoughts. Always used respectfully. I've never had a black person I know call me "cracker" which would be more akin to the n-word I suppose but not quite.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I would guess the vast majority of people at least 50 and under would agree. Even black kids.
65 and younger. In the early 1950's it was Tiger at the time when Rochester was on Jack Benny and Amos and Andy was on at lunchtime.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Sam #80226
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period. If you don't get that, you move to the head of the line of the TSTI club.
sam #80245
The prevailing opinion of comparing the appearance of a black person to a monkey is that it is wrong and offensive.
<quoted text>
Sure reads to me like somebody is saying I cant do something.
key words here, bub -- "prevailing opinion" and the fact that she said "If you dono't get that..."

What she is saying is that you would be viewed as racist to the general public using those terms. She's not saying she's going to sew your mouth shut.

Again, she's talking about perception.

Why do people need every single word written in order to get the theme? Do you really? Do you really need people to qualify this with, "You can say it but, generally..."

I believe people, generally, in my viewpoint, believe that you cannot make peopole not say things.

I also believfe Sam does not think she can stop you from saying anything and is writing generally about perception of society.

You taking it extremely literally is very tiring. To me. I do not think everyone on this planet sees it the same way. I'm speaking in the terms of how I view society would take it.

You may have a different viewpoint. If you did, I would strongly disagree.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

oh geez, just go back and read the def if racism I posted. If your not going to then just shut up and admit your still wrong.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
You: "For a skinny person to use [fat] is racist...."
Nice attempt at backtracking. You do realize that your prior posts are still there, right?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Geez, sorry for all those typos. I'm hungry and it's early for lunch. That's my excuse!(Don't believe it for a second (although I am hungry). I did not proofread which I should have done.)
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, rubbery ones are overdone, or they used something else and called it scallops.
I thought they pretty much stopped that. It was teh bigger sea scallops that were pieces of pollack as I recall. The little bay scallop were too small to be counterfeited .

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mother might not have had racist ideas about what she was saying; she was just calling it what her elders had called it.

But the culture that spawned those terms was racist and if you don't know that, then you didn't pay attention in high school history class.

Oh, and here's the wiki entry about eeny, meeny etc, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eenie_Meanie_Min...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the difference:
- The right to federal benefits. States that allow some type of same-sex union are able to grant only state rights. The Defense of Marriage Act passed in 1996 prohibits same-sex couples from receiving federal marriage rights and benefits.
- Portability. Because civil unions are not recognized by all states, such agreements are not always valid when couples cross state lines.
- Terminology. "Marriage" is a term that conveys societal and cultural meaning, important to both gay rights activists and those who don't believe gays should marry.
Also, it comes into play for deportation as well as military benefits.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. I didn't think of that. There was something on the news about fish isn't being labelled corrected -- even to the stores and restaurants. They don't even realize they've been duped.
I think that's why there's such a movement, and restaurants making available, for source information for fish.
Basically, on average (and it depends on where you live in the U.S.) over half the time you order fish in a restaurant, you're getting something that's a whole different species of fish than what you ordered.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
When I was in the service the words cracker and N were passed between all of us, it was never used to be insulting (okay occasionally but it was dealt with), it served to highlight our differences, but those differences helped us to develop an appreciation for each other and our cultures.
Maybe thats why I have a different view of things here, I was actually immersed in an environment where you had to learn to tolerate each other, there was no PR dept, no liberals looking out for any slight injustice. We were a unit and we functioned as one both on the job and off. You dont care what color skin the guy who has your back is sporting.
<quoted text>
No. I'm not buying it. It has nothing to do with liberals or conservatives. It has to do with the fact you were in the military with people you knew who knew you.

I can say many things to my very good friends that I would not say out in the general public. That's b/c they KNOW my viewpoints and know how I feel about certain issues. I view your miltary stint with people in the same way. You're with a group of people that you come to know and know their ways.

I also never said anything to my mother when I was young who would use very derogatory terms and was a racist. Not a full-fledged KKK but she did grow up in the South and thought many things that would be unthinkable today but was an every day thought for her back then. I didn't say anything b/c I knew I would not change her view. She came to learn a good many things in her life including not to say the n-word. But that was her learning experience.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Yes, I do it all the time because i really am a moron and incapable of independent thought.

I had no idea that shouting the n word in a black community might cause rancor and discord among the locals. I was amazed that I did not realize that they may even take offense to me exercising my right to free speech. How could I have been so clueless?

Thank you toj! Thank you so much for enlightening me and helping me to understand the possible unsavory consequences of my actions.

Guess its a good thing you were here to further the discussion,'cause you know, I'm stupid an all.

There, now I insulted myself too! Happy now?

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I was furthering the discussion and did not call you names. I wasn't dressing you down but it's interesting that you thought I was and more insight into your thinking. I was explaining my point of view. Do you always call people names when you have nothing to further the discussion? You seem to do that a lot with Sam so I'm wondering if this is a general thing with you.
I think this is interesting and something I might bring to my next get together with my gf's --
http://www.biospace.com/News/do-you-really-kn...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 79,301 - 79,320 of97,515
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

104 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Yeah 1,078,811
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 min danetoo 67,890
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 32 min jacques Mont Tremblant 174,493
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Hey now 45,763
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr nuguyntwn 3,827
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr frankensnorter 48,848
The Liberty Brothers Interview: Colonel Kratos,... 1 hr Must be you 7
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 4:15PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search