Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Guess I just did not grow up around open racists.
I don't think "racism" has anything to do with it.(How many racist children do you know?) People and words were just a lot less sensitive back then.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Name ONE right a straight man has that a gay man does not. Just one. I bet you can't.
The right to not be fired based on sexual orientation.

The right to not be evicted based on sexual orientation.

In 30 states, it is legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Married couples have over 500 financial and legal benefits in the state of Minnesota that unmarried couples do not. So denying a gay couple the right to marry is unfair, because they are being denied those benefits.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Settle down, Sparky, it still has to pass the house. And I'm unaware that marriage was a "right," also, there's nothing stopping a gay man from legally marrying a woman.
I'm quite settled. I'm not up in arms about it. Seems to bother you, though.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Straight man can enter into a civil union and claim a marriage deduction on his taxes.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Name ONE right a straight man has that a gay man does not. Just one. I bet you can't.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's Brazil nuts. An older guy at my last office used that phrase - someone sent some mixed nuts for the holidays - and it did not go well for him.
Yes, Brazil nuts!

My coworker called them N toes, and I told her, "You can't say that word here at work." She NEVER would have called a black person the N word, but she didn't give a second thought to the N toes comment. She grew up with it.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

dahgts wrote:
A friend's neighbor was talking to her cousin. Cousin was telling her about remodeling her bathroom. Said she was going to have a shade put over her skylight to keep the drones from seeing her on the toilet, etc.
Member of edog's Club Paranoia?
OMG, that just made me laugh out loud! Wonder how much that costs.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ok, I am not, at all, a big seafood person, so I never get adventurous. I have never had scallops. What are they similar to?
I've done crab, lobster, and shrimp (like) clams, mussels, oysters, cockles(sp?), and some other ones like those (DISLIKE) Octopus and calamari are yucky. White fish is o...k... and dark fish is gross.
Soooo would I like scallops?
I think you'd like scallops. I like clams in chowder or fried, and oysters, but I'm with you on the rest of them. I don't really dislike the taste of the calamari I've tried at our favourite place, but the texture ruins it for me. I've tried it other places and at those both the taste and texture were yuck.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

You want to use your precious N word?

Say it to squishy. See how far you get with her. She's a wonderful, sweet person. Have fun.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Like the basic universal right to use the language.
Your hypocracy is showing, and unfortunately, it's your best feature.
<quoted text>
Apples and oranges. One is to the actual laws, the other is to societies norm.

We've got plenty of freaks out of society norms. There are also some good people outside of society norms. Sometimes it's difficult to differentiate one from the other.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Wrong again azzhat. Your one one defending the rights of blacks to say it, not me. I am just saying that in a free society all people have access to all the words, there are no reserved words.
You however want to restrict who gets to use what words.
<quoted text>
Wrong again, azzhat. I have not defended the right of blacks to say it, nor have I tried to restrict anything. I have simply pointed out how things are. I am recognizing reality. You are the one asserting that you should be able to say anything you want. I have done nothing more than address the response you will likely receive from different audiences. I do not think the N-word is appropriately used by anyone, but I recognize that certain people using it will provoke a different reaction than other people using it.

If you want to sound less stupid, try reading my posts and pretending you don't hate me and then respond, because you're obviously more concerned with trying to bitch me out than with paying attention or making sense.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Straight man can enter into a civil union and claim a marriage deduction on his taxes.
<quoted text>
Here's the difference:

- The right to federal benefits. States that allow some type of same-sex union are able to grant only state rights. The Defense of Marriage Act passed in 1996 prohibits same-sex couples from receiving federal marriage rights and benefits.
- Portability. Because civil unions are not recognized by all states, such agreements are not always valid when couples cross state lines.
- Terminology. "Marriage" is a term that conveys societal and cultural meaning, important to both gay rights activists and those who don't believe gays should marry.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
... also, there's nothing stopping a gay man from legally marrying a woman.
This one is going in the Mutt's Moronic Statements Hall of Fame.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
From now on, only fat people can call another person "fat". For a skinny person to use that word is racist because "Fat" is a derogatory word and it implies that there is a distinct difference between fat people and skinny people, and skinny people feel themselves superior to fat people.
Hey dum dum, skinny and fat aren't races.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Toj wrote:
Mimi! Scallops are my absolute FAVORITE but they have to be done correctly. Done correctly, they melt in your mouth and you need no butter for flavor but they're also good with butter. And alfredo. And a lot of things. They have this slightly sweet almost buttery flavor, better than lobster.
You'll know if you get a scallop done incorrectly when it's chewy. That means they overcooked it.
Nom, nom, nom. I love scallops.
Yeah, rubbery ones are overdone, or they used something else and called it scallops.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Brazil nuts, I think.
Yes, it is Brazil nuts that are also referred to as N-toes.

Even as a kid when my dad used that term for those nuts, I knew better than to call them that.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

I dont get a lot of what you wrote.
NOBODY owns the damm word! That is stupidity talking.
To say that by blacks using the word is to take the bad connotations out of it??? TOTAL BS! They have been using that word for generations, but the connotation is still there every time a white person says it, to obviously that plan aint working!

And your idiot challenge is the same as sams! since you want to deny me the right to use the word, but cant, you will just encourage and support other people to beat me up when I do. How very civilized of you toj, you can get off your high horse now you hypocrite.

How about I invite you to my hood and start rapping about raping white women and killing the white man, and see how long you go unbloodied. Cause yanno nobody can control anothers actions and stuff and free speech, while free is not always a wise thing to excercise, and bla bla bla.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? Doesn't make sense to me.
I'm sure you have heard that some (not all -- b/c there are a LOT of black people who would never use the word) use it as taking ownership and turning it around in their world as a positive. You saying you haven't heard of black people using the word as a way to negate the bad connotations of it? By being white, that negates that thought -- can you understand it? Not saying I agree with the pople who say it. Black or white (or hispanic or whatever).
You come to Chicago, sit on the 95th El stop and you say the n-word all you want and you explain to them how it's okay to use. Or sit in the United Center as the Bulls play and say it. As I said before, no one can control another's actions but the consequences are there to deal with.
No one is actually saying "Don't say that" as in you can't utter those words. What people mean, I believe, is it's not WISE to say that and if you do you will be thought of in general society as a racist person.
Right or wrong that's how it is.
Do you disagree with the way it would be taken?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
This one is going in the Mutt's Moronic Statements Hall of Fame.
No. There's too many others competing.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, rubbery ones are overdone, or they used something else and called it scallops.
You're right. I didn't think of that. There was something on the news about fish isn't being labelled corrected -- even to the stores and restaurants. They don't even realize they've been duped.

I think that's why there's such a movement, and restaurants making available, for source information for fish.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Where's everywhere else? from who? Other than at school or playing with other school kids after school, where and when were people singing this rhyme in any form? Guess I just did not grow up around open racists.
It's also a generational thing. My grandfather knew the original lyrics (and said them in public once the dementia set in - ugh). By the time we were kids, our parents had lived through race riots and forced integration. They taught us differently, even if it was sometimes a case of "do as I say, not as I do".

Racial tension still exists, but it is not as institutionalized or widely acceptable.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RACE wrote:
Gee, that that commercial they had on tv where the tiger got his toe caught in the mousetrap was obviously racist as well.
As far as I knew, the original saying was catch a tiger by the toe.
was not till Jr High that I heard any other rendition of it.
<quoted text>
My parents and grandparents, most of my aunts and uncles used the N... version. They were all born between 1885 and 1925. They were all racist bigots. All of them. Some of the stuff I heard them say when MLK was shot, and when integration was happening. They didn't think that those of colour should even be allowed on the same bus, much less in the same schools.
My mom and dad and the aunt and uncle who lived in CA learned to fake it in public, but their actions and words the second they were away from those of any different colour, or Jews, showed me up close and personal what racists are like.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

104 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RUSH10ME 1,082,718
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Learn to Read 175,011
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 40 min raphael 3,839
Six-year-old girl watches in horror as police '... 42 min LuckyGirlDidnt BARE Teeth 6
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 42 min CDC 48,966
Chicago the murder capital of the U.S.? Let's g... 48 min AlsoTheNegraMurderCapitol 2
Am 7-29 50 min Kuuipo 7
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••