Topix Chitown Regulars
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80373 Feb 15, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, right? Rage in full force. I don't understand the anger in discussing something like this. I just don't get the anger in the words. But whatever. I have to laugh at ragey people b/c they are not on the earth at that moment. They're letting anger color their words.
Having your shortcomings as a person pointed out would be frustrating for anyone, especially when you can't defend them. And lashing out is easier than reason.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80374 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think "racism" has anything to do with it.(How many racist children do you know?) People and words were just a lot less sensitive back then.
???
She said at school it was "tiger", everywhere else she heard it as "ni__er". That's not about school just school kids, but whoever else she was around when she was not at school. So you're saying back in the good old days, people were not so sensitive and you could toss around the N-word more freely and it was ok? And you wonder why people think ou'rea racist.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80375 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
(since you asked)
OH, gee, thanks toj, I have absolutely no idea how my acts may be percieved, I must be as dumb as you cause I need you to tell me how other people will react.
Your entire post is one of sensless self justification all the wile trying to dress me down.
Pathetic.
<quoted text>
You're dressing yourself down.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#80376 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me an ape that invented something, composed music, can do math, speak a language, and I'll agree with you. Monkeys and apes are no more intelligent than a house-hold dog.
And I'll remind you that you (or science) still can't empirically prove what exactly homosapiens evolved from.
So there.
TSTI

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80377 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me an ape that invented something, composed music, can do math, speak a language, and I'll agree with you. Monkeys and apes are no more intelligent than a house-hold dog.
And I'll remind you that you (or science) still can't empirically prove what exactly homosapiens evolved from.
So there.
n ape invented the light bulb, phonograph, and movie camera.
An ape invented the printing press.
An ape invented the computer.
An ape invented the telephone.
An ape composed "In the Hall of the Mountain King"
An ape wrote "King Lear"
etc., etc., etc.

FOR THE RECORD, it's "Homo sapiens" just like that, genus capitalized, species not capitalized, TWO words, and it should be italic, but I can't do that here.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80378 Feb 15, 2013
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably not. a scallop is a bivalve, like mussels and cockles, so if you don't like them, you probably wouldn't like scallops either. Whether you like any of them depends a lot on how they are prepared though, so you may want to try anyhow, at a good restaurant.
Thank you. I kind of figured they would be similar to other bivalves, hence my reluctance to even try them. I might wait until someone else (like my niece or sister...not just some random person) orders them and then ask for a bite (before anyone eats anything of course)...just to try it.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80379 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Number one, people are not getting fired and evicted for being gay. Not sure where you're getting your news from. Number two, nobody has a "right" to an apartment, nobody has a "right" to a job, and nobody has a "right" to marry.
Number one -- down. https://www.friendfactor.org/in-29-states-hou...

Sometimes it's not about rights directly taken from the Constitution but what the laws are and what is fair in the general view. Sorta like traffic laws -- it's not discussed in the Constitution nor do you have a right to drive a car. This isn't a political thread (or isn't suppose to be) but what certain people's view are and how they are perceived IMNSHO.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80380 Feb 15, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. I kind of figured they would be similar to other bivalves, hence my reluctance to even try them. I might wait until someone else (like my niece or sister...not just some random person) orders them and then ask for a bite (before anyone eats anything of course)...just to try it.
If you lived close I would so take you out to dinner so you could try it. If you didn't like it I would finish your plate! I would hope you didn't like them, but you would.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80381 Feb 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is to you but for Mimi as the subjet matter expert.
Does the mitochondrial dna work address his question or is the validity of that onfoned to a particular species?
I'm not sure what your question is. Edog didn't really have a question, but mitochondrial DNA helps us to connect the dots, but you have to keep in mind that it's only traceable along the X chromosome, so that leaves out the XY people all together.

After about 50,000 years, DNA becomes pretty much unsealable unless it's been in stasis in some kind of well controlled environment (hence no Jurassic Park). This is why in the Homo line we pretty much can only use H. sapiens, H. neanderthalensis, H. denisovan, and H. florensis right now to trace the human lineage. The same applies to other apes both extant and extinct, there is a 50,000 year limit on DNA...IF it can be extracted.

Also, I'm not a biologist/geneticist, so this is really not my main area of research. I just know *some* stuff.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#80382 Feb 15, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> So you're saying back in the good old days, people were not so sensitive and you could toss around the N-word more freely and it was ok?
Yes! This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. My mother as a child used "catch a n**r by the toe" all the time and thought nothing of it, it was just how the phrase went. She also called brazil nuts "n**r toes." Again, it's just what they used to be called. Racism had nothing to do with it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#80383 Feb 15, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
n ape invented the light bulb, phonograph, and movie camera.
An ape invented the printing press.
An ape invented the computer.
An ape invented the telephone.
An ape composed "In the Hall of the Mountain King"
An ape wrote "King Lear"
etc., etc., etc.
FOR THE RECORD, it's "Homo sapiens" just like that, genus capitalized, species not capitalized, TWO words, and it should be italic, but I can't do that here.
I run the word together because h0m o usually gets flagged. And HUMANS ARE NOT APES! We are two different species.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#80384 Feb 15, 2013
Sam #80226
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period. If you don't get that, you move to the head of the line of the TSTI club.

sam #80245

The prevailing opinion of comparing the appearance of a black person to a monkey is that it is wrong and offensive.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>

Who is telling you that you cannot use the words? I don't read anywhere here anyone telling you that you cannot use it except in the context of not using it if you don't want a bad reaction.
Are you saying you want to control other people's reactions to certain words? Because you can't. You can't control other people's reactions, including your weird reaction to this discussion.
If you want to change people's reactions, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.
Sure reads to me like somebody is saying I cant do something.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80385 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. My mother as a child used "catch a n**r by the toe" all the time and thought nothing of it, it was just how the phrase went. She also called brazil nuts "n**r toes." Again, it's just what they used to be called. Racism had nothing to do with it.
Not realizing it doesn't mean it wasn't. She and you didn't realize it. It was very racist.

#80386 Feb 15, 2013
When I was in the service the words cracker and N were passed between all of us, it was never used to be insulting (okay occasionally but it was dealt with), it served to highlight our differences, but those differences helped us to develop an appreciation for each other and our cultures.
Maybe thats why I have a different view of things here, I was actually immersed in an environment where you had to learn to tolerate each other, there was no PR dept, no liberals looking out for any slight injustice. We were a unit and we functioned as one both on the job and off. You dont care what color skin the guy who has your back is sporting.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never had a black person use "white people" in a conversation to me other than pointing out the one white person among different races when trying to identify someone or in a context where we were talking about the different viewpoints of people generally and our thoughts. Always used respectfully. I've never had a black person I know call me "cracker" which would be more akin to the n-word I suppose but not quite.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80387 Feb 15, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I would guess the vast majority of people at least 50 and under would agree. Even black kids.
65 and younger. In the early 1950's it was Tiger at the time when Rochester was on Jack Benny and Amos and Andy was on at lunchtime.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80388 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
Sam #80226
You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period. If you don't get that, you move to the head of the line of the TSTI club.
sam #80245
The prevailing opinion of comparing the appearance of a black person to a monkey is that it is wrong and offensive.
<quoted text>
Sure reads to me like somebody is saying I cant do something.
key words here, bub -- "prevailing opinion" and the fact that she said "If you dono't get that..."

What she is saying is that you would be viewed as racist to the general public using those terms. She's not saying she's going to sew your mouth shut.

Again, she's talking about perception.

Why do people need every single word written in order to get the theme? Do you really? Do you really need people to qualify this with, "You can say it but, generally..."

I believe people, generally, in my viewpoint, believe that you cannot make peopole not say things.

I also believfe Sam does not think she can stop you from saying anything and is writing generally about perception of society.

You taking it extremely literally is very tiring. To me. I do not think everyone on this planet sees it the same way. I'm speaking in the terms of how I view society would take it.

You may have a different viewpoint. If you did, I would strongly disagree.

#80389 Feb 15, 2013
oh geez, just go back and read the def if racism I posted. If your not going to then just shut up and admit your still wrong.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
You: "For a skinny person to use [fat] is racist...."
Nice attempt at backtracking. You do realize that your prior posts are still there, right?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80390 Feb 15, 2013
Geez, sorry for all those typos. I'm hungry and it's early for lunch. That's my excuse!(Don't believe it for a second (although I am hungry). I did not proofread which I should have done.)
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80391 Feb 15, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, rubbery ones are overdone, or they used something else and called it scallops.
I thought they pretty much stopped that. It was teh bigger sea scallops that were pieces of pollack as I recall. The little bay scallop were too small to be counterfeited .

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#80392 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mother might not have had racist ideas about what she was saying; she was just calling it what her elders had called it.

But the culture that spawned those terms was racist and if you don't know that, then you didn't pay attention in high school history class.

Oh, and here's the wiki entry about eeny, meeny etc, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eenie_Meanie_Min...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min shinningelectr0n 1,274,701
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min Joe Balls 196,901
abby 8-28=15 1 min Mrs Gladys Kravitz 7
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 min Ariel Sharon 70,156
Amy 8-28-15 1 min Mrs Gladys Kravitz 6
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 min IB DaMann 54,491
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 44 min RACE 6,399
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages