Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80322 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Name ONE right a straight man has that a gay man does not. Just one. I bet you can't.
Well, one right would have been the state to recognize their relationship with their significant other in a ceremony called marriage. Thankfully, that's been taken care of now in Illinois.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80323 Feb 15, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they sued the airline (anyone can sue for anything, getting sued doesn't mean squat), and they lost, and the attendant was not fired.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/20...
Yeah but the Disney worker was,

and while looking for that story, I found a Southwest Airline worker who was for the exact same thing.

http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/...

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#80324 Feb 15, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Growing up, it was "catch a tiger" at school. Everywhere else, you heard the other version. I still think the law suit was without merit and glad they lost.
Where's everywhere else? from who? Other than at school or playing with other school kids after school, where and when were people singing this rhyme in any form? Guess I just did not grow up around open racists.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80325 Feb 15, 2013
Thank you, I agree!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Race: The song is like other words: Racism often depends on the intent.
I don't think you're racist.
I think edog is, though. He'll deny it up and down though.

Neda, stay with me!

#80326 Feb 15, 2013
What you cant seem to understand is that to say "I cant" is offensive to me! Frankly I am offended when I hear is said in public by black people, the very same black people who would get "offended" if I were to say it. To me that is ludicrous, and no matter how much I can intellectually agree that if I say it, they will perceive it as racism, I cannot support the idea that only "They" can use the word.

And never ask me to respect anyone who does support that, because it means they are not about unifying our peoples, but instead trying to divide us.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
What you seem to not understand is the "can't" means "can't do it without offense to a number of people". You can do anything. You can even kill a person. You can break any law you want. You can break any societal norm or convention. No one can control your actions but you have to take the consequences.
Go for it.
You likening someone believing to not offend Muslims to agreeing with everything Muslim is equal to people who are against abortion who agree with killing doctors who perform abortions.
It's very vile thinking to me.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80327 Feb 15, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah but the Disney worker was,
and while looking for that story, I found a Southwest Airline worker who was for the exact same thing.
http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/...
didn't you say the photographer was at Disney with saying that Monkey thing? Sounds like a different instance. Or perhaps an urban legend? It might not have read carefully, though. Wondering is all.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80328 Feb 15, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Where's everywhere else? from who? Other than at school or playing with other school kids after school, where and when were people singing this rhyme in any form? Guess I just did not grow up around open racists.
I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago where 80% of the people moved from the south side of Chicago. There was A LOT of racism.

Neda, stay with me!

#80329 Feb 15, 2013
Wrong again azzhat. Your one one defending the rights of blacks to say it, not me. I am just saying that in a free society all people have access to all the words, there are no reserved words.

You however want to restrict who gets to use what words.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Even more ironic is that you're the one fighting to justify it's use.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80330 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Name ONE right a straight man has that a gay man does not. Just one. I bet you can't.
Um, how about the very right that Angela raised - marriage. It is not legal in approximately 40 states.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#80331 Feb 15, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, one right would have been the state to recognize their relationship with their significant other in a ceremony called marriage. Thankfully, that's been taken care of now in Illinois.
Settle down, Sparky, it still has to pass the house. And I'm unaware that marriage was a "right," also, there's nothing stopping a gay man from legally marrying a woman.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80332 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And why would you think this? Not that I care one bit what you think of me, I just want to see if you can back it up.
Really? "You can take the brother out of the ghetto..."?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80333 Feb 15, 2013
RACE wrote:
What you cant seem to understand is that to say "I cant" is offensive to me! Frankly I am offended when I hear is said in public by black people, the very same black people who would get "offended" if I were to say it. To me that is ludicrous, and no matter how much I can intellectually agree that if I say it, they will perceive it as racism, I cannot support the idea that only "They" can use the word.
And never ask me to respect anyone who does support that, because it means they are not about unifying our peoples, but instead trying to divide us.
<quoted text>
Huh? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm sure you have heard that some (not all -- b/c there are a LOT of black people who would never use the word) use it as taking ownership and turning it around in their world as a positive. You saying you haven't heard of black people using the word as a way to negate the bad connotations of it? By being white, that negates that thought -- can you understand it? Not saying I agree with the pople who say it. Black or white (or hispanic or whatever).

You come to Chicago, sit on the 95th El stop and you say the n-word all you want and you explain to them how it's okay to use. Or sit in the United Center as the Bulls play and say it. As I said before, no one can control another's actions but the consequences are there to deal with.

No one is actually saying "Don't say that" as in you can't utter those words. What people mean, I believe, is it's not WISE to say that and if you do you will be thought of in general society as a racist person.

Right or wrong that's how it is.

Do you disagree with the way it would be taken?

Location hidden

#80334 Feb 15, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Ok. forgive my deficit of racist references. WTF are you talking about?
Brazil nuts, I think.

Neda, stay with me!

#80335 Feb 15, 2013
Like the basic universal right to use the language.

Your hypocracy is showing, and unfortunately, it's your best feature.

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Civil rights: the nonpolitical rights of a citizen, basic rights: rights that all citizens of a society are supposed to have.
WTSTI.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#80336 Feb 15, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
didn't you say the photographer was at Disney with saying that Monkey thing? Sounds like a different instance. Or perhaps an urban legend? It might not have read carefully, though. Wondering is all.
I did say that, Southwest was a different instance, and no, its not urban legend. I live within spittin distance of the mouse and that was all over the local news when it happened. Had a black guy in the department at that time. And this was definitely a topic of discussion. Wierd that I can't find the damn story. I am 99.9% sure the dude got fired.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#80337 Feb 15, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Guess I just did not grow up around open racists.
I don't think "racism" has anything to do with it.(How many racist children do you know?) People and words were just a lot less sensitive back then.

Location hidden

#80338 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The right to not be fired based on sexual orientation.

The right to not be evicted based on sexual orientation.

In 30 states, it is legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Married couples have over 500 financial and legal benefits in the state of Minnesota that unmarried couples do not. So denying a gay couple the right to marry is unfair, because they are being denied those benefits.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80339 Feb 15, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Settle down, Sparky, it still has to pass the house. And I'm unaware that marriage was a "right," also, there's nothing stopping a gay man from legally marrying a woman.
I'm quite settled. I'm not up in arms about it. Seems to bother you, though.

Neda, stay with me!

#80340 Feb 15, 2013
Straight man can enter into a civil union and claim a marriage deduction on his taxes.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#80341 Feb 15, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's Brazil nuts. An older guy at my last office used that phrase - someone sent some mixed nuts for the holidays - and it did not go well for him.
Yes, Brazil nuts!

My coworker called them N toes, and I told her, "You can't say that word here at work." She NEVER would have called a black person the N word, but she didn't give a second thought to the N toes comment. She grew up with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Suxbumski is weak 1,155,488
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 min JOEL 71,186
Chicago Pizza Blows 49 min joey 2
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 51,279
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 1 hr IUEC 7,564
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr OzRitz 49,304
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr festivus infidel 68,906
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Jacques Ottawa 182,017
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:21 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:21AM
Fantasy Football 2015 Awards
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
What Can Bears Do to Get Back into Playoff Hunt?
NBC Sports11:49 AM
Reggie Wayne needs offseason triceps surgery
NBC Sports 1:29 PM
Colts say they will be all business despite nothing to gain - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:40 PM
Cutler realizes Bears could be in for changes - NBC Sports