“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80244 Feb 14, 2013
Totally disagree!
Jessie used that word in the worst connotation possible, the fact that he is black does not mean he did not mean it in the most derogatory way possible, because he did! The fact that he is black simply absolved him of his totally gross statement.

And please go back and read the definition of racism I provided, there is no mention that for me to use the word means I believe that I am superior to the black race. There are oodles and oodles of black people that are smarter, stronger and richer then me, more so than I could ever hope to be. To say that I feel superior to anyone of another race is a flat out lie, no matter what words I use, and to say its "blatant racism" is just more BS.

The way I see it, either we can ALL use the word or NOBODY can. There is no protected class on words.

I dont want to hear all the mewling about how when blacks do it, its cultural but when whites do it its racism. That double standard does not wash me me. Dont want me to say it, them maybe you should clean your own house before you come into mine. Maybe when we all agree that the word is simply a word and is not a reflection of the person it is spoken to only a reflection of the person speaking it, then the word will finally lose its place in language.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, if you mean Jesse Jackson (?), the answer is: because you're not black.
When white people use the word, there's blatant racism in it. Even if you dn't mean it (like, if you grew up in the black projects, you likely will have black friends and use the N word like they do). But because others who don't know you will assume that by your use of the N word you are a racist, they either will be offended or wahtever, OR they are racist and they will think "yup, another N hater just like me, right on!" and that's not a message you should want to send.
And c'mon. It's the N word. If you want ot use it so bad, either use it in south Chicago around black dudes, or don't use it at all.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#80245 Feb 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
NO stupid you do. Nobody has a corner on what is an acceptable thing to say. If you dont like it, dont listen, but unless I am promoting hatred or violence, you just have to shut your clam about it.
And you moron, I did not say he looked like a monkey, I said he looks like curious george. Take away curious george's tail and you have obamma. Nice try to put words in my mouth though.
Your such an idiot to think ANYONE has the RIGHT to tell me what I can and cannot compare anyone to. Thats the same thinking about the muslims saying you cant make a picture of mohammed. Total BS!
Bet you think their edic to kill that author is a totally good thing dont you?
You get stupider every flipping day.
<quoted text>
Wow, you hate me so much you're really going to try to justify saying a black guy looks like a monkey. And this - "I did not say he looked like a monkey, I said he looks like curious george. Take away curious george's tail and you have obamma. Nice try to put words in my mouth though." - goes in your Top-10 imbecilic statements of all time. You didn't say Obama looks like a monkey, you said he looks like Curious George. Gee, what is Curious George? Oh, that's right! A monkey!

And you can say whatever you want (please please please show me where I said you couldn't), but others equally have the right to characterize what you say. Some characterizations are prevailing, some are not. The prevailing opinion of comparing the appearance of a black person to a monkey is that it is wrong and offensive. Again, please go up to the next black person you see, tell him/her that Obama looks like Curious George and let us know how that goes for you.

And please explaing why you get to say whatever you want, but I don't have an equal right to respond? Sounds like someone who can't stand behind his words.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#80246 Feb 14, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Hasn't he always been there?
Oops, I thought Sam's reply was to the dog. I think Race is being intentionally obtuse.

Neda, stay with me!

#80247 Feb 14, 2013
From now on, only fat people can call another person "fat". For a skinny person to use that word is racist because "Fat" is a derogatory word and it implies that there is a distinct difference between fat people and skinny people, and skinny people feel themselves superior to fat people.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#80248 Feb 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
And sam,
Why is it ok for Jessie to call obamma "an uppity N*" but not myself?
Angela already covered it, but I figured I'd go ahead and respond because you won't be mean to her, and I want to see how you unload on me for saying the same thing.

BECAUSE HE IS BLACK, you dummy. Are you really getting a craving to call a black person the N-word? Is it really important to you to fight for that right? Tell you what then, how about you make yourself the modern Rosa Parks and just do it. Next time you see a black person, call them the N-word. Freedom of speech, right? No one can stop you from saying what you want, right? If they don't like it, they can just shut their clam, right?

BTW, there is significant opposition in the black community to the word period. So if they don't like each other using it, then you sure as heck would not be well-received. But I digress, no one can tell you what to say. I forgot.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#80249 Feb 14, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I'm going with the general concensus that disagreeing with edog means i'm right.
Nice try. I'm never wrong.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#80250 Feb 14, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So glad Illinois doesn't have more important issues to deal with. Like 9 TRILLION in unfunded pension programs or the murder of black kids everyday. PRIORITIES!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#80251 Feb 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
From now on, only fat people can call another person "fat". For a skinny person to use that word is racist because "Fat" is a derogatory word and it implies that there is a distinct difference between fat people and skinny people, and skinny people feel themselves superior to fat people.

;^j

Neda, stay with me!

#80252 Feb 14, 2013
Because I'm not black...
Because I'm not black, I have no right to say this word?
Because I'm not black I am forbidden from uttering this word?

Who is the person who gets to decide what words I can or cannot say simply because of my skin pigment?
Why am I denied the right to say a word that, by your own observation is used with impunity by others?

What exactly is the evidence between me saying a word and another saying the exact same word that makes it wrong for me to say it but not them?

If your going to read meanings into my use of words, am I allowed to do the same to you and others?
"Cracker", "White Bread". Can we put these on the list of Banned words that only a single group of people can use?

I think you all promote a myth that encourages segregation of society instead of inclusiveness.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, if you mean Jesse Jackson (?), the answer is: because you're not black.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80253 Feb 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
The way I see it, either we can ALL use the word or NOBODY can. There is no protected class on words.<quoted text>
Thanks for your input, but that's not how it works. How Race sees it really isn't material, it's how society sees it. If you want to try to change society's mind, have at it.

And now I am off to a lovely dinner. Have fun polishing your gun. Hey, that could be literal AND a euphemism!

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#80254 Feb 14, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Goes to show you can take the brother out of the ghetto, but....
Doosh

Neda, stay with me!

#80255 Feb 14, 2013
Hating you is giving yourself too much credit. You boor me with your idiocy.

The image is george is not a photo, it is a caricature, one that obamma strongly resembles. If that offends you or any other person too bad. I can see the resemblance. Does that mean I think obamma is a monkey? NO, so get over yourself. I am not trying to be insulting, just making an observation. If you dont agree with that observation fine.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you hate me so much you're really going to try to justify saying a black guy looks like a monkey. And this - "I did not say he looked like a monkey, I said he looks like curious george. Take away curious george's tail and you have obamma. Nice try to put words in my mouth though." - goes in your Top-10 imbecilic statements of all time. You didn't say Obama looks like a monkey, you said he looks like Curious George. Gee, what is Curious George? Oh, that's right! A monkey!
And you can say whatever you want (please please please show me where I said you couldn't), but others equally have the right to characterize what you say. Some characterizations are prevailing, some are not. The prevailing opinion of comparing the appearance of a black person to a monkey is that it is wrong and offensive. Again, please go up to the next black person you see, tell him/her that Obama looks like Curious George and let us know how that goes for you.
And please explaing why you get to say whatever you want, but I don't have an equal right to respond? Sounds like someone who can't stand behind his words.

Neda, stay with me!

#80256 Feb 14, 2013
Crap, my car awning just Dorothy'd

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80257 Feb 14, 2013
Soooooo don't want to get drug into this, buuutttt...

To a greater or lesser degree depending on the individual, we all look like monkeys (and apes...since we are apes) because we're all primates just as they are. We also look like lemurs, bush babies, etc., just more remotely, because they are also primates.

Being told that I look like a monkey would not be an insult. Monkeys are VERY intelligent creatures who are capable of pretty much all of the same thoughts and emotions of higher primates (apes...I reiterate: humans are apes) as well as learning new ways to do things because of their cognitive thinking ability.

Side bar: Edog, just in case you are gonna start some BS about humans not being apes or some anti-evolution crap...don't. Until you have some empirical proof of...anything...just don't even start with me.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80258 Feb 14, 2013
Now, someone edit my freaking personal statement, that's due at midnight down from 2200 words to 750!

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80259 Feb 14, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Jess, I hope you see this and weigh in! I'm curious as to your thoughts!
Which, the racial stuff or the tattoo law enforcement stuff?

My FIL has been in the hospital since Tuesday. He'll be in there at least another day because they are still running tests on him. I'm just catching up on today's posts now.

Neda, stay with me!

#80260 Feb 14, 2013
Your right, no one can tell me whether or not I have the right to use the word. Yes it is freedom of speech. My right is unquestioned (except by people like yourself).

You tart, you think I will go out and start screaming the word, just because YOU challenge me to? Like if maybe I got my head punched in, I would see why only black people can use the word? You are a moron, worse, your a retarded moron.

I have no craving to use any word, except in discussions with you where I crave to call you every mean spirited thing I can think of. And even here, where I am safe from your physical attack, I still do not indulge myself this pleasure.

What is this significant portion you speak of? Who are they and what are they doing about it? More mindless lip speak from someone who knows nothing, but wants to make a point.
Bleh!
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Angela already covered it, but I figured I'd go ahead and respond because you won't be mean to her, and I want to see how you unload on me for saying the same thing.
BECAUSE HE IS BLACK, you dummy. Are you really getting a craving to call a black person the N-word? Is it really important to you to fight for that right? Tell you what then, how about you make yourself the modern Rosa Parks and just do it. Next time you see a black person, call them the N-word. Freedom of speech, right? No one can stop you from saying what you want, right? If they don't like it, they can just shut their clam, right?
BTW, there is significant opposition in the black community to the word period. So if they don't like each other using it, then you sure as heck would not be well-received. But I digress, no one can tell you what to say. I forgot.

Neda, stay with me!

#80261 Feb 14, 2013
No, not how society sees it, but how a few whiners see it. Squeeky wheel getting the grease is all. The rest of society does not care what anybody says about anyone else, they just want to put in their 40hrs and collect their pay.

Hey, maybe they will have a double wide trough for you and your boyfriend to share.
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your input, but that's not how it works. How Race sees it really isn't material, it's how society sees it. If you want to try to change society's mind, have at it.
And now I am off to a lovely dinner. Have fun polishing your gun. Hey, that could be literal AND a euphemism!
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80262 Feb 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
Your right, no one can tell me whether or not I have the right to use the word. Yes it is freedom of speech. My right is unquestioned (except by people like yourself).
You tart, you think I will go out and start screaming the word, just because YOU challenge me to? Like if maybe I got my head punched in, I would see why only black people can use the word? You are a moron, worse, your a retarded moron.
I have no craving to use any word, except in discussions with you where I crave to call you every mean spirited thing I can think of. And even here, where I am safe from your physical attack, I still do not indulge myself this pleasure.
What is this significant portion you speak of? Who are they and what are they doing about it? More mindless lip speak from someone who knows nothing, but wants to make a point.
Bleh!
<quoted text>
Are saying that even though you can say something doesn't mean you should say it?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80263 Feb 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
Because I'm not black...
Because I'm not black, I have no right to say this word?
Because I'm not black I am forbidden from uttering this word?
Who is the person who gets to decide what words I can or cannot say simply because of my skin pigment?
Why am I denied the right to say a word that, by your own observation is used with impunity by others?
What exactly is the evidence between me saying a word and another saying the exact same word that makes it wrong for me to say it but not them?
If your going to read meanings into my use of words, am I allowed to do the same to you and others?
"Cracker", "White Bread". Can we put these on the list of Banned words that only a single group of people can use?
I think you all promote a myth that encourages segregation of society instead of inclusiveness.
<quoted text>
You have every right to use the word.

Go for it. But at least have ballsa nd use it around black people, then state your case to THEM.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 min southern Illinois... 50,039
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 min Earthling-1 47,005
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 44 min RoxLo 1,115,129
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 45 min JOEL 69,495
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 46 min Mandela 68,560
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 178,586
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr RACE 639

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]