Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80211 Feb 14, 2013
What I don't get is, a spokesperson for the sheriff's department pulls out all these stats re: prisoners:

Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lisa Kiava said the priority is the safety of the people in the jail. About 70 percent of the male inmates have used illegal narcotics in the hours before they are arrested and some are drunk while they are being booked. She said another 30 percent are mentally ill.

"We are working with a challenging population," she said.

Huh? And that is related to tattoos how?

Location hidden

#80212 Feb 14, 2013
Also: 1 in 3 people under 40 has a tat. Isn't ruling them out going to hurt your hiring prospects? I'd rather have a cop with tats who does a great job than a mediocre cop who's tat-free.

One of the comments pointed out that maybe a tatted cop would be a good prospect for undercover work.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#80213 Feb 14, 2013
I hate to support mutt in anything but...

I recall Bush jr being likened many times to a monkey because of his ears.

Can you deny the similarity between curious george and obamma?

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed.
One fell off and bumped his head.

Mama called the doctor and the doctor said,
"No more monkeys jumping on the bed!"

Is this a racist song, or only racist when sang in a predominately black classroom?

Likening any president to a monkey is not racist.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#80214 Feb 14, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I never once heard Bush referred to as a MOnkey.
And you're being racist again.
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/image...

I don't care who you are that's funny!

Edog, c'mon, you can't compare calling a white guy a monkey to calling a black guy one. There are nasty racial overtones when you start calling a black person one.

Location hidden

#80215 Feb 14, 2013
Jess, I hope you see this and weigh in! I'm curious as to your thoughts!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#80217 Feb 14, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
NIck was citing the # of countries who send wrestlers to the Olympics (over 70, I think) compared to sports we're keeping where significantly fewer countries send athletes. He thinks we could retire Tae Kwan Do, as it's pretty much South Korea's sport.
There are a lot of other sports that should have been retired before wrestling, which goes back to the Olympics in ancient Greece.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#80218 Feb 14, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I never once heard Bush referred to as a MOnkey.
And you're being racist again.
Shows what you know. It's even been in mainstream. Homer Simpson even called him a monkey. Walgreens had birthday cards that pared Bush's facial expressions with a chimpanzee.

But no, say Obama resembles Curious George and you're a racist. Typical hypocrisy yet again.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#80219 Feb 14, 2013
As much as I am not a tattoo fan, I'm not sure what the big deal is for a position like a cop or jail guard.

Hard to believe the under 40 tat rate is only 1 in 3, though. Does that include all babies and children who aren't old enough to get one legally? Because almost everyone I know has at least one.

Location hidden

#80220 Feb 14, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of other sports that should have been retired before wrestling, which goes back to the Olympics in ancient Greece.
I don't even care about wrestling, and I see it as a good sport for the olympics.

Why keep synchronized swimming?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#80221 Feb 14, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
ABsolutely, unequivocably (sp?): WRONG WRONG WRONG.
It's been proven for YEARS to be successful. Oklahoma was the first state to offer free pre-k education for four-year-olds (thus, "Head Start") and it has been a huge success. THe REpublican who got the funding for it can tell you how kids are better prepared for kindergarten (reading sooner), and how that snowballs into being more prepared with each subsequent grade.
THey also have established very clear links between HS graduation rates and college entrance exams to pre-k education.
Shows what you know again. The head start program is one of only a few government programs that are monitored for success. Their OWN FINDINGS said it was ineffective.

Location hidden

#80222 Feb 14, 2013
I'm going with the general concensus that disagreeing with edog means i'm right.

Location hidden

#80223 Feb 14, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
As much as I am not a tattoo fan, I'm not sure what the big deal is for a position like a cop or jail guard.
Hard to believe the under 40 tat rate is only 1 in 3, though. Does that include all babies and children who aren't old enough to get one legally? Because almost everyone I know has at least one.
Tats are so mainstream now that I can't believe that most people under 50 or so are put off by them. the 1 in 3 rate is for age 18 to 40.

I'd say my friends with tats are in the minority, as far as I know. Or if they have them, they haven't talked about them.

I think I know more women than men who have one.
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80224 Feb 14, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hennepin County (Mpls) SHeriff doesn't hire recruits who have visible tats, including on their arms.
http://www.startribune.com/local/west/1911331...
THoughts?
THe comments are interesting.
I get it. Tattoos might be mainstream on the outside, but on the inside they can still be taken to have meaning, even if they don't.

#80225 Feb 14, 2013
racism
noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
Any action, practice, or belief that reflects the racial worldview—the ideology that humans are divided into separate and exclusive biological entities called “races,” that there is a causal link between inherited physical traits and traits of personality, intellect, morality, and other cultural behavioral features, and that some “races” are innately superior to others.
I dont recall mutt saying he is better than any black person.
In the last half of the 20th century several conflicts around the world were interpreted in racial terms even though their origins were in the ethnic hostilities that have long characterized many human societies (e.g., Arabs and Jews, English and Irish). Racism reflects an acceptance of the deepest forms and degrees of divisiveness and carries the implication that differences among groups are so great that they cannot be transcended.
This definition does not differentiate between a black jew or a black englishman.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#80226 Feb 14, 2013
RACE wrote:
I hate to support mutt in anything but...
I recall Bush jr being likened many times to a monkey because of his ears.
Can you deny the similarity between curious george and obamma?
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for you to make that argument to any black person. "Hey, but he does look like a monkey, right?"

You don't compare black people to monkeys. Period. If you don't get that, you move to the head of the line of the TSTI club.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#80227 Feb 14, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't even care about wrestling, and I see it as a good sport for the olympics.
Why keep synchronized swimming?
Why keep synchronized anything?

#80228 Feb 14, 2013
Link Please!
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Shows what you know again. The head start program is one of only a few government programs that are monitored for success. Their OWN FINDINGS said it was ineffective.

Location hidden

#80229 Feb 14, 2013
I love Ron Swanson from Parks & recreation:

"I have been developing the Swanson Pyramid of Greatness for years. It's a perfectly calibrated recipe for maximum personal achievement. Categories include: Capitalism, God's way of determining who is smart and who is poor. Crying, acceptable at funerals and the Grand Canyon. Rage. Poise. Property rights. Fish, for sport only, not for meat. Fish meat is practically a vegetable."

"There's been a mistake. You've accidentally given me the food that my food eats." -- Swanson after being served a salad

"Swansons have a preternaturally high tolerance for alcohol. My old man used to put Wild Turkey on his cornflakes."

"Leslie, you need to understand that we are headed to the most special place on Earth. When I'm done eating a Mulligan's meal, for weeks afterward there are flecks of meat in my mustache and I refuse to clean it because every now and then a piece of meat will fall into my mouth."

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard."

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

"Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets."

"my first wife, Tammy, tried throwing me a surprise birthday party. When I saw my friends hiding through the window, I drove to a gas station, called the cops and told them people had broken into my home. I'm not big on surprises."

"I got my first job when I was 9. Worked at a sheet metal factory. In two weeks, I was running the floor. Child labor laws are ruining this country."

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something."
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#80230 Feb 14, 2013
An excellent take on Valentine's Day by the S*&^ My Dad Says guy:

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2013/02/how-...

Location hidden

#80231 Feb 14, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
Why keep synchronized anything?
I like synchronized diving! That was new to me last summer!

But... maybe it's something they could have for only, say, four olympics, then retire it. Introduce new sports.

Paintball!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 min Into The Night 54,533
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 45 min sonicfilter 1,276,635
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Joe Balls 196,919
Steve Wilkos : talk show host ? or simple mi... (Feb '08) 4 hr mila123 407
ask amy 8-29-15 5 hr Mister Tonka 7
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 hr Perrie Winkle 6,424
How to get into the USA. 8 hr New Beach Boys Song 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages