Chicago, IL

#80138 Feb 13, 2013

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#80139 Feb 13, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't buy from others and I don't push my kids stuff on others. I just think it's gotten ridiculous.
My mom used to drop me and my two bros off at farm & fleet and have us sell stuff outside the door when we had fundraising for baseball. We'd be decked out in our uniforms. I absolutely hated it. We'd be there for what seemed like an eternity. I won't make my kids do that.
What's even worse is they have all these fund raisers for school and tell the kids they can get all these prizes if they sell stuff. My kids came home thinking they are going to get an ipod. I told them ... no, this is a scam ... you would need to sell a bazillion of these things before you could get that ipod ... you if you work really, really hard, you might get an eraser, at best.
We have a fair at school (with carnival rides and games), fundraiser nights at various restaurants, and book fairs ... I'd much rather do stuff like that to support their school than have me or them have to pitch stuff.
I went to private grade school and we had to sell crap nearly every month. I had to go door to door in a neighborhood where 80% of the kids went to the same damn school as me and were selling the same stuff. Humiliating and awful for an already shy kid. I would never make my kid do that.

J put up a "no solicitors" sign by our doorbell and kids selling delicious goodies are apparently the only ones that can read it and comprehend it. The fecking Jehovah's Witnesses don't realize it's for them.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#80140 Feb 13, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm refusing to dye my hair. I'm the laziest hair-doer on the planet and I detest the look of roots so...
Both my grandma and mom are were/are a beautiful silver so I'm going to see what happens.
I cut all my hair off 2 weeks ago. Went from about 6 inches below my shoulder to a pixie. I am loving it. Going to go broke buying cute girly hair clips and headbands on Etsy.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#80141 Feb 13, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I cut all my hair off 2 weeks ago. Went from about 6 inches below my shoulder to a pixie. I am loving it. Going to go broke buying cute girly hair clips and headbands on Etsy.
I have been tempted to do that, but my hair guy keeps telling me I have Angelina Jolie hair (that's the ONLY physical trait we have in common!) so I'm trying to enjoy that for a while.

Maybe when it gets really grey I'll cut it short again.

Evanston IL

#80142 Feb 13, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to private grade school and we had to sell crap nearly every month. I had to go door to door in a neighborhood where 80% of the kids went to the same damn school as me and were selling the same stuff. Humiliating and awful for an already shy kid. I would never make my kid do that.
J put up a "no solicitors" sign by our doorbell and kids selling delicious goodies are apparently the only ones that can read it and comprehend it. The fecking Jehovah's Witnesses don't realize it's for them.
I don't. We just ask family and don't really worry about it.

My husband's company (sales) had a session on fundraising on Take Your Kid to Work Day. Lulu wasn't old enough last year, but I'm going to see if we can get her signed up this year. Even if you never get good at it, it's helpful to know the techniques.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80143 Feb 13, 2013
Who doesn't want to be saved?
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
The fecking Jehovah's Witnesses don't realize it's for them.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80144 Feb 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus saves. Moses invests.

Evanston IL

#80145 Feb 13, 2013

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#80146 Feb 13, 2013
squishymama wrote:
http://www.today.com/moms/adop tive-moms-newborn-photo-shoot- 13-year-old-son-goes-1C8347362 #
Very sweet.
I love it! He has a great sense of humor.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80147 Feb 13, 2013
Today is Ash Wednesday. This was today's Gospel reading: Matthew 6: 1 - 6, 16 - 18
1 "Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
2 "Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
3 But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4 so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
5 "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
16 "And when you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
17 But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,
18 that your fasting may not be seen by men but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

We then had ashes put on our foreheads to wear all day. Anyone else find that ironic and/or hypocritical?

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#80148 Feb 13, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I seem to have made an impression on the last batch of them to stop by. Haven't had a visit from them in almost three years now.

Location hidden

#80149 Feb 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Long ago when I lived in the fecking desert I was making paper mache ornaments for Christmas. I ran out of newspaper and had no car, a sleeping baby and was about to pack all the supplies up when the doorbell rang.
JWs.
I told them I was so happy to see them, and curious about their church, but couldn't talk then. Could they please leave me some literature???
So, for a two bit donation I got two copies each of their pamphlets, printed on newsprint and made another half dozen ornaments for the tree!! LOL!!
I'm sure if they'd known what would happen with their Watchtowers they'd have just had a FIT!

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80150 Feb 13, 2013
squishymama wrote:
http://www.today.com/moms/adop tive-moms-newborn-photo-shoot- 13-year-old-son-goes-1C8347362 #

Very sweet.
I love the idea behind the pictures, though I'm a little weirded out by the actual images

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80151 Feb 13, 2013
The lord works in mysterious ways....
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Long ago when I lived in the fecking desert I was making paper mache ornaments for Christmas. I ran out of newspaper and had no car, a sleeping baby and was about to pack all the supplies up when the doorbell rang.
JWs.
I told them I was so happy to see them, and curious about their church, but couldn't talk then. Could they please leave me some literature???
So, for a two bit donation I got two copies each of their pamphlets, printed on newsprint and made another half dozen ornaments for the tree!! LOL!!
I'm sure if they'd known what would happen with their Watchtowers they'd have just had a FIT!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80152 Feb 13, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Very sweet.
you bitch! I am tired of crying at work!!!

Location hidden

#80153 Feb 13, 2013
RACE wrote:
The lord works in mysterious ways....
<quoted text>
LOL!! My EXACT words after I closed the door.

Evanston IL

#80154 Feb 13, 2013
http://thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cnn.com/201...

Let's see if I can get Ang to cry again.
:D

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#80155 Feb 13, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I love the idea behind the pictures, though I'm a little weirded out by the actual images
Well, yeah. But it's funny because those are the pics everyone with newborns has these days.

J should do that, his bio dad burned most of his baby/toddler pictures in a bonfire. I've seen one picture of him when he was under 7 or so.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80156 Feb 13, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, yeah. But it's funny because those are the pics everyone with newborns has these days.
J should do that, his bio dad burned most of his baby/toddler pictures in a bonfire. I've seen one picture of him when he was under 7 or so.
and for what reason did he burn them?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80157 Feb 13, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's a frickin' miracle that J turned out the way he did, considering the fucktard adults in his life.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 16 min mahz 49,490
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 31 min Emeem 1,100,233
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 52 min wojar 177,388
Video Will The U.S Lead The World Into Nuclear ... 59 min Hell Yes 1
Diversity is a codeword for white genocide 2 hr 587uioy 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr J RULES 68,991
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Brian_G 46,316
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info