Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

I can buy the "catholicism as a culture" if you were brought up that way -- catholic school, devout household,etc. But Nick didn't. Church once a week, if that, until he was in his teens?

He didn't baptize his kids and his kids have no idea who god or jesus are (their mom's choice). He's a pretty shitty catholic if he's catholic.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I can buy the "catholicism as a culture" if you were brought up that way -- catholic school, devout household,etc. But Nick didn't. Church once a week, if that, until he was in his teens?
He didn't baptize his kids and his kids have no idea who god or jesus are (their mom's choice). He's a pretty shitty catholic if he's catholic.
Oh. Well, here's a way to call him on it. Tell him you want to go to Mass this Sunday and would like him to accompany you.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Wow, heavy day. We're talking religion here and abortion on the Abby thread.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

There's some doozies on yesterday's Prudie. It started off with this one:
Link: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

Q. Dead Doppelganger: I recently applied for a job as the assistant director at a well-regarded art gallery. In a pre-interview phone call with the director, she told me that my credentials were an excellent match with the position and set up an interview. The minute I walked in the gallery and introduced myself at the reception desk, I started getting weird vibes and worse. Employees, including the director, stepped back when they saw me, or gasped, or fled. I checked my appearance in the bathroom and found nothing amiss. Except for this, the interview itself went fine, from my perspective, but I didn't get the job. I asked a friend at another gallery if she knew who did get it, and it turned out to be a guy fresh out of college. Because of the gap between his credentials and mine, I decided to write to the director and ask her if she could shed some light on the situation. Surprisingly, she said she'd meet me for coffee to discuss it. She told me that the person who previously held the job looked just like me, was a dead ringer for me, in fact, and in fact was dead. The other employees had pleaded with her not to hire me. I looked him up online and saw pictures that shocked me as well as my younger sister. From his obituary I learned he had died in a car accident three months ago, and he was my age. At first I thought I could make some sort of hiring complaint, but obviously I would never fit in there, to say the least. My concern now is that I think I had a twin. Should I bring this up with my mother? Or find some friends of the dead guy and ask them more about his history? As you can imagine, I've been in a real state for the past few weeks.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

I was raised Catholic, and am non-practicing now and really disagree with some of their views. It was easy to stop when they went to an english mass. But I think that calling oneself Catholic is more like identifying what your ethnic background is.
Or it was a result of those mean nuns beating religion into us.

In Az I answered the door to a Baptist minister recruiting for his church. When I told him I was not interested, I am Catholic, he then told me I was going to hell. So I said I don't care, I'll be dead anyways. Got rid of him.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I'm a pretty shitty catholic. I don't go to church. Didn't baptize my kids. Don't talk about religion at home. But even with all that, I am still catholic.

I don't see how he can call himself a catholic if he does not believe in Jesus. That's where he lost me. That's the foundation. That's like being a vegan who chows down on steak.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Toj wrote:
There's some doozies on yesterday's Prudie. It started off with this one:
Link: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...
Q. Dead Doppelganger: I recently applied for a job as the assistant director at a well-regarded art gallery. In a pre-interview phone call with the director, she told me that my credentials were an excellent match with the position and set up an interview. The minute I walked in the gallery and introduced myself at the reception desk, I started getting weird vibes and worse. Employees, including the director, stepped back when they saw me, or gasped, or fled. I checked my appearance in the bathroom and found nothing amiss. Except for this, the interview itself went fine, from my perspective, but I didn't get the job. I asked a friend at another gallery if she knew who did get it, and it turned out to be a guy fresh out of college. Because of the gap between his credentials and mine, I decided to write to the director and ask her if she could shed some light on the situation. Surprisingly, she said she'd meet me for coffee to discuss it. She told me that the person who previously held the job looked just like me, was a dead ringer for me, in fact, and in fact was dead. The other employees had pleaded with her not to hire me. I looked him up online and saw pictures that shocked me as well as my younger sister. From his obituary I learned he had died in a car accident three months ago, and he was my age. At first I thought I could make some sort of hiring complaint, but obviously I would never fit in there, to say the least. My concern now is that I think I had a twin. Should I bring this up with my mother? Or find some friends of the dead guy and ask them more about his history? As you can imagine, I've been in a real state for the past few weeks.
WOW!

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know whether church doctrine/cardinal rules allow for them to choose a pope while there's still a seated pope? So there's an immediate transfer of leadership?
http://www.wtop.com/...

They follow the same procedures as they would if the Pope had died. Remember, this has happened before, just not recently.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a pretty shitty catholic. I don't go to church. Didn't baptize my kids. Don't talk about religion at home. But even with all that, I am still catholic.
I don't see how he can call himself a catholic if he does not believe in Jesus. That's where he lost me. That's the foundation. That's like being a vegan who chows down on steak.
Yeah, that was my sticking point. If you don't believe Jesus is the savior, you're not Christian, so you can't be Catholic. I didn't belabor it with him -- it's not worth an argument or anything, I just thought it was kind of silly.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Squishy: Just bookmarked the website for Taps on the Walls. Poet was there for over six years.

Wow. Definitely adding this to my must read list.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a pretty shitty catholic. I don't go to church. Didn't baptize my kids. Don't talk about religion at home. But even with all that, I am still catholic.

You may have been raised Catholic, but if you didn't baptize your kids and you don't ever go to church, then I don't understand why you would still identify yourself with that organization. I am not judging, I am just wondering.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You may have been raised Catholic, but if you didn't baptize your kids and you don't ever go to church, then I don't understand why you would still identify yourself with that organization. I am not judging, I am just wondering.
I was raised a catholic. I never converted to any other religion. I don't denounce anything I was taught as a catholic. If someone asks what religion I am, the most accurate answer is a non-practicing Catholic. I don't say so as a way to ingratiate nor differentiate my self to people. It just is what it is. If I were to one day feel the urge to go to church, I would go to a Catholic church.

My hair is turning gray, but I still say my hair color is black.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I can understand it. I was raised Catholic, I did have my kid baptized in the religion, but I'm not practicing. I say I'm Catholic yet I don't really identify myself with the organization, per se. Although I did go to a Catholic grade school, I grew up surrounded by Catholics and there's a certain sameness to how Catholics are raised/taught. Not that it all takes, mind you.:)

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I was raised a catholic. I never converted to any other religion. I don't denounce anything I was taught as a catholic. If someone asks what religion I am, the most accurate answer is a non-practicing Catholic. I don't say so as a way to ingratiate nor differentiate my self to people. It just is what it is. If I were to one day feel the urge to go to church, I would go to a Catholic church.
My hair is turning gray, but I still say my hair color is black.
My hair is turning way-gray but I say my hair is red. Thank you Loreal.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
My hair is turning way-gray but I say my hair is red. Thank you Loreal.
Washing my hands in the restroom at work this morning, I looked at myself in the mirror. got back to my desk and added to my Target list "hair color."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Catholics are like Jews in that regard: Not practicing/following/fully still believing doesn't change things much. ;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

I have just decided that February 2013 is my last year of spending any money on coworkers' kids' fundraisers. Butter braids. GS cookies. Heggen's pizza. Those are three of the several items on our counter at work right now.

I always told myself "people bought from me when i was in school selling stuff." I did that for four years. But now I've been repaying that generosity for 25 years!

I officially resign from the purchaser of anything that your kids need to do their fun activities. Sorry, parents. If we're close, I probably buy bday and christmas gifts for your kids. That's enough.

And making this decision 2 minutes ago FEELS GREAT.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

From a forwarded email from a friend:

Today's Short Reading From The Bible ... A Reading from Genesis ...

And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth.

Then He made the Earth round ... And He laughed and laughed and laughed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
From a forwarded email from a friend:
Today's Short Reading From The Bible ... A Reading from Genesis ...
And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth.
Then He made the Earth round ... And He laughed and laughed and laughed.
Typical man hater joke!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

FWIW, my coworkers are not pushy at all. They put forms on the counter at work and nothing gets said about them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 79,041 - 79,060 of97,514
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

119 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min shinningelectr0n 1,078,536
Amy 7-23 5 min Kuuipo 8
Abby 7-23 10 min Mister Tonka 9
No, Global Warming Did Not Create Chicago's Agi... 21 min Guest 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 41 min Beavis 174,477
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Chicago, IL (Dec '11) 59 min Brian Shepard 116
Debate: Marijuana - Chicago, IL (Aug '10) 1 hr Brian Shepard 297
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 10:02AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••