Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Sorry to whomever judged my post "agree" and "helpful."
hey, gym goers: I have an inconvenience to deal with -- going through a clean towel every day. Putting it in a plastic bag in my gym bag means I have to wash them after each use. A coworker suggested using a mcirofiber or chamois type cloth, like she's seen olympic divers use to quickly dry off after diving.
Any thoughts?(no towel service at my gym, and I don't really have a place at work where I can hang up a towel to dry.
I'm willing to accept the inconvenience and extra load of laundry each week, but thought I'd at least ask first.
I tried some of them for a deployment several years ago. Maybe they are better now, but what I got at the time were crap. Well, maybe not crap, but not very useful for drying off quickly. It turned out to be less hassle to just do the extra load of laundry. They wicked off the water drops, but didn't really get me dry, you know what I mean? Probably good for the pool situation, but not for getting dressed right away.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

RACE, I heard a story on the radio that made me think of you.

It was an interview with a Viet Nam pow who composed poetry while a prisoner. Just published them in a book called "Taps on the Wall" which was how they communicated in the Hanoi Hilton.

He read one and it was really moving and I hate poetry.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Screw the towel, go to work all funky and sweaty. Nothing sexier that a chick wearing a sweaty blouse...
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Any thoughts?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Thanks, I will look for it! Yeah that is how they communicated, the sound traveled very well thru the walls. It was also how they took a head count of each other to see if they lost someone.
squishymama wrote:
It was an interview with a Viet Nam pow who composed poetry while a prisoner. Just published them in a book called "Taps on the Wall" which was how they communicated in the Hanoi Hilton.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Thanks, sgt. I am going to maintain both gym memberships for a month then decide which one I want to stick with.

And I'm going to go buy a couple more towels (I don't want to use my two nice towels that match my bathroom for gym use).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
I am not a fan of poetry, either, even though I have written it and even got two poems published in a book of poetry.

You definitely have me interested in checkingb this out.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

My thoughts on the Pope resigning - I have a great deal of respect and admiration for someone who can put the good of community above his own self-interest. That being said, I don't understand the timing of his resignation. Easter is the most important day in the Catholic religion and the Pope is leaving the Church and her people without a leader during Lent.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

I'm with you Jess, except I'm thinking his health is just that bad to make him do it.

I'm not much into the Pope or anything, but I can respect that some people see him as a very holy man. I'm thinking it has to be bad, given the timing and the way it is being done.

I have to admit when I first heard it on the news a day or two back, my immediate thought was he must have did something very wrong. Then his whole health thing came to light. So I dunno.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
My thoughts on the Pope resigning - I have a great deal of respect and admiration for someone who can put the good of community above his own self-interest. That being said, I don't understand the timing of his resignation. Easter is the most important day in the Catholic religion and the Pope is leaving the Church and her people without a leader during Lent.
I thought about that too. I wonder if this was deliberate because A) he has something seriously wrong with him that will leave him totally incapacitated by Easter or B) someone has dirt on him from his past and he is avoiding an embarrassment to the church by stepping down before it can go public?
His resignation is effective 28 Feb, and Easter isn't until 31 Mar this year. That should give them plenty of time to have someone in place before then. I know there is a waiting period between a pope's death and the election of a new one, but no idea about when he resigns. It may be that they can have the election now, and the new pope could be in place the day of the resignation.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
Easter is the most important day in the Catholic religion and the Pope is leaving the Church and her people without a leader during Lent.
I was raised Catholic and consider myself as such even though I am non-practicing. That being said, I was a regular curch goer for a good 18 years. What exactly do you think you will be missing out on come Easter? Pope never made any special appearances at my church during easter. I doubt the Pope is assigning topics for the local Pastors to get up there and preach about for Easter mass. I just don't see how this would have any actual effect on you.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Toj wrote:
I'm with you Jess, except I'm thinking his health is just that bad to make him do it.
I'm not much into the Pope or anything, but I can respect that some people see him as a very holy man. I'm thinking it has to be bad, given the timing and the way it is being done.
I have to admit when I first heard it on the news a day or two back, my immediate thought was he must have did something very wrong. Then his whole health thing came to light. So I dunno.
I am not Catholic but I find it an anomoly in a faith that exalt til death do us part, in sickness and in health, etc.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Like I said yesterda, I think it's dementia. He even referred to his mental health along with his physical health in his press release.

I'm sure he didn't make this decision lightly.

I don't think there's any ugly news coming forth about his past -- I think that would have happened a long time ago, like when he first became pope.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
Do you know whether church doctrine/cardinal rules allow for them to choose a pope while there's still a seated pope? So there's an immediate transfer of leadership?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Nick says he's catholic. I tell him he's not. He doesn't believe in Jesus, doesn't go to church, doesn't believe in any tenents of the faith.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Like I said yesterda, I think it's dementia. He even referred to his mental health along with his physical health in his press release.
I'm sure he didn't make this decision lightly.
I don't think there's any ugly news coming forth about his past -- I think that would have happened a long time ago, like when he first became pope.
I agree. It's very unlikely. Still possible, although I also think it is his health.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Nick says he's catholic. I tell him he's not. He doesn't believe in Jesus, doesn't go to church, doesn't believe in any tenents of the faith.
I went to high school with a "devout" Catholic who actually got in a fist fight with someone who referred to her as a Christian.

"I am NOT a Christian. I'm a CATHOLIC!!!" Whatever.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to high school with a "devout" Catholic who actually got in a fist fight with someone who referred to her as a Christian.
"I am NOT a Christian. I'm a CATHOLIC!!!" Whatever.
Sounds like someone slept through catechism class.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
There's a certain part of being a Catholic that is part culture and not strictly about faith, I think.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

I've been hearing that the college of cardinals will call the conclave in March... THey kinda don't know what to do and how do to do in in this situation... they don't even know how to refer to benedict after he "retires"! There's no "pope emeritus", he was promoted so he's not a cardinal any more.... i guess there's even question about where he might live. the last pope to resign tried to live out his life in peace in a monestary.

When a pope dies, there's a 9 (i think) day mourning period, then they start calling everyone to Rome to start teh conclave.

definately an interesting time in history!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 79,021 - 79,040 of97,455
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 8:58PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE