|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be a know-it-all, but I say "I was wrnog, you were right" all the time!
Oh please, you haven't said that to me once!

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Any thoughts re: the Pope stepping down? My thought is that he has alzheimer's or dementia, and to me, that's a good reason to step down. I can understand riding it out if you have terminal cancer, ALS, etc., because your judgment isn't necessarily impaired, but to have cognitive brain changes that (1) keep you from performing your job and (2) don't inspire the public's confidence, that's very different.
If that is the case, kudos to him for thinking the papacy is too important to cling to it until death.
I was thinking it was something terminal, but alzheimers or some other dementia makes more sense.
(and isn't alzheimers basically a terminal illness anyway? Never heard of anyone coming back from that)

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Can we call jmw anchorbaby now?
No, anchorbabies are born here.

Let's call her a foreign commie, instead!

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that you are good at math because you are male?
Where is all this man-hating coming from lately?

Is it because Christie turned out to be a liberal?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking it was something terminal, but alzheimers or some other dementia makes more sense.
(and isn't alzheimers basically a terminal illness anyway? Never heard of anyone coming back from that)
I didn't think it was a terminal illness because it's the first time in like 800 years that a pope hasn't died in office.

And yes, alzheimer's eventually will kill you, but that can take 10-20 years. You're just as likely to die of cancer before the alzheimer's kills you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

jmw out of curiosity, do you know how your mom was able to come here with you? Often there's a lottery involved (we have certain quotas/limits for variuos countries), or you ahve to get sponsored by another family member to come here.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

From what I've been told, alzheimer's eventually kills you because it's the brain dying, and once the parts that control necessarily bodily functions start to go, you're done for.

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't think it was a terminal illness because it's the first time in like 800 years that a pope hasn't died in office.
A pope has never *resigned* in the 600 year history of papacy.

John Paul I died in office a month after his election.
Sam I Am

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please, you haven't said that to me once!
It's not been appropriate to do so.

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Wonder if this means the Catholic Church has to re-write its "Papal Retirement" benefit package?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
A pope has never *resigned* in the 600 year history of papacy.
John Paul I died in office a month after his election.
Um, no.

1. The papacy is older than 600 years.
2. In the 1200s, a pope stepped down. that's the last time this has happened.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, no.
1. The papacy is older than 600 years.
2. In the 1200s, a pope stepped down. that's the last time this has happened.
Heh. Nick told me I'm wrong. I was up at 5 this morning when they interrupted the news with this announcement and said it hadn't happened since the 1200s, but Nick said that it happened again a couple hundred years later.

damn it. Being wrong sucks. But I'll live.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Sorry to whomever judged my post "agree" and "helpful."

hey, gym goers: I have an inconvenience to deal with -- going through a clean towel every day. Putting it in a plastic bag in my gym bag means I have to wash them after each use. A coworker suggested using a mcirofiber or chamois type cloth, like she's seen olympic divers use to quickly dry off after diving.

Any thoughts?(no towel service at my gym, and I don't really have a place at work where I can hang up a towel to dry.

I'm willing to accept the inconvenience and extra load of laundry each week, but thought I'd at least ask first.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

holy shit. Someone was shooting at random cars on the highway in the first eastern suburb out of st. paul, several people were shot, 10yo kid was killed.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
jmw out of curiosity, do you know how your mom was able to come here with you? Often there's a lottery involved (we have certain quotas/limits for variuos countries), or you ahve to get sponsored by another family member to come here.
I don't know, actually. She had a sister already living here at the time, maybe that had something to do with it?

My mom did tell me that the luggage handlers in London were on strike that day and a random Irish guy pretended to be her cousin to help get us and all our crap on the plane and refused to accept a dime for thanks. Found that out today.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh. Nick told me I'm wrong. I was up at 5 this morning when they interrupted the news with this announcement and said it hadn't happened since the 1200s, but Nick said that it happened again a couple hundred years later.
damn it. Being wrong sucks. But I'll live.
the 1200s was the last voluntary resignation, in the 1400s the guy was run out of town, in a sense. i read 3 different wikipedia entries that have been updated already...

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Sorry to whomever judged my post "agree" and "helpful."
hey, gym goers: I have an inconvenience to deal with -- going through a clean towel every day. Putting it in a plastic bag in my gym bag means I have to wash them after each use. A coworker suggested using a mcirofiber or chamois type cloth, like she's seen olympic divers use to quickly dry off after diving.
Any thoughts?(no towel service at my gym, and I don't really have a place at work where I can hang up a towel to dry.
I'm willing to accept the inconvenience and extra load of laundry each week, but thought I'd at least ask first.
I tried some of them for a deployment several years ago. Maybe they are better now, but what I got at the time were crap. Well, maybe not crap, but not very useful for drying off quickly. It turned out to be less hassle to just do the extra load of laundry. They wicked off the water drops, but didn't really get me dry, you know what I mean? Probably good for the pool situation, but not for getting dressed right away.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

RACE, I heard a story on the radio that made me think of you.

It was an interview with a Viet Nam pow who composed poetry while a prisoner. Just published them in a book called "Taps on the Wall" which was how they communicated in the Hanoi Hilton.

He read one and it was really moving and I hate poetry.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Screw the towel, go to work all funky and sweaty. Nothing sexier that a chick wearing a sweaty blouse...
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Any thoughts?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 79,021 - 79,040 of96,137
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

49 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 min JOEL COOL DUDE 65,121
The Official Ashley Tisdale Chat Room (Sep '07) 8 min Justin Bieber 1,837
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min fetch almighty 1,034,209
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 14 min Chicagobunny 47,070
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 15 min Hatti_Hollerand 229
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 17 min jimtownhounddogsniffing 6,537
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 24 min Poppo 167,625
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]