Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80078 Feb 11, 2013
jmw out of curiosity, do you know how your mom was able to come here with you? Often there's a lottery involved (we have certain quotas/limits for variuos countries), or you ahve to get sponsored by another family member to come here.

Location hidden

#80079 Feb 11, 2013
From what I've been told, alzheimer's eventually kills you because it's the brain dying, and once the parts that control necessarily bodily functions start to go, you're done for.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#80080 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't think it was a terminal illness because it's the first time in like 800 years that a pope hasn't died in office.
A pope has never *resigned* in the 600 year history of papacy.

John Paul I died in office a month after his election.
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#80081 Feb 11, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please, you haven't said that to me once!
It's not been appropriate to do so.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#80082 Feb 11, 2013
Wonder if this means the Catholic Church has to re-write its "Papal Retirement" benefit package?

Location hidden

#80083 Feb 11, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
A pope has never *resigned* in the 600 year history of papacy.
John Paul I died in office a month after his election.
Um, no.

1. The papacy is older than 600 years.
2. In the 1200s, a pope stepped down. that's the last time this has happened.

Location hidden

#80084 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, no.
1. The papacy is older than 600 years.
2. In the 1200s, a pope stepped down. that's the last time this has happened.
Heh. Nick told me I'm wrong. I was up at 5 this morning when they interrupted the news with this announcement and said it hadn't happened since the 1200s, but Nick said that it happened again a couple hundred years later.

damn it. Being wrong sucks. But I'll live.

Location hidden

#80085 Feb 11, 2013
Sorry to whomever judged my post "agree" and "helpful."

hey, gym goers: I have an inconvenience to deal with -- going through a clean towel every day. Putting it in a plastic bag in my gym bag means I have to wash them after each use. A coworker suggested using a mcirofiber or chamois type cloth, like she's seen olympic divers use to quickly dry off after diving.

Any thoughts?(no towel service at my gym, and I don't really have a place at work where I can hang up a towel to dry.

I'm willing to accept the inconvenience and extra load of laundry each week, but thought I'd at least ask first.

Location hidden

#80086 Feb 11, 2013
holy shit. Someone was shooting at random cars on the highway in the first eastern suburb out of st. paul, several people were shot, 10yo kid was killed.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#80087 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
jmw out of curiosity, do you know how your mom was able to come here with you? Often there's a lottery involved (we have certain quotas/limits for variuos countries), or you ahve to get sponsored by another family member to come here.
I don't know, actually. She had a sister already living here at the time, maybe that had something to do with it?

My mom did tell me that the luggage handlers in London were on strike that day and a random Irish guy pretended to be her cousin to help get us and all our crap on the plane and refused to accept a dime for thanks. Found that out today.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#80088 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh. Nick told me I'm wrong. I was up at 5 this morning when they interrupted the news with this announcement and said it hadn't happened since the 1200s, but Nick said that it happened again a couple hundred years later.
damn it. Being wrong sucks. But I'll live.
the 1200s was the last voluntary resignation, in the 1400s the guy was run out of town, in a sense. i read 3 different wikipedia entries that have been updated already...

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#80089 Feb 12, 2013

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#80090 Feb 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Sorry to whomever judged my post "agree" and "helpful."
hey, gym goers: I have an inconvenience to deal with -- going through a clean towel every day. Putting it in a plastic bag in my gym bag means I have to wash them after each use. A coworker suggested using a mcirofiber or chamois type cloth, like she's seen olympic divers use to quickly dry off after diving.
Any thoughts?(no towel service at my gym, and I don't really have a place at work where I can hang up a towel to dry.
I'm willing to accept the inconvenience and extra load of laundry each week, but thought I'd at least ask first.
I tried some of them for a deployment several years ago. Maybe they are better now, but what I got at the time were crap. Well, maybe not crap, but not very useful for drying off quickly. It turned out to be less hassle to just do the extra load of laundry. They wicked off the water drops, but didn't really get me dry, you know what I mean? Probably good for the pool situation, but not for getting dressed right away.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#80091 Feb 12, 2013
RACE, I heard a story on the radio that made me think of you.

It was an interview with a Viet Nam pow who composed poetry while a prisoner. Just published them in a book called "Taps on the Wall" which was how they communicated in the Hanoi Hilton.

He read one and it was really moving and I hate poetry.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80092 Feb 12, 2013
Screw the towel, go to work all funky and sweaty. Nothing sexier that a chick wearing a sweaty blouse...
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Any thoughts?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80093 Feb 12, 2013
Thanks, I will look for it! Yeah that is how they communicated, the sound traveled very well thru the walls. It was also how they took a head count of each other to see if they lost someone.
squishymama wrote:
It was an interview with a Viet Nam pow who composed poetry while a prisoner. Just published them in a book called "Taps on the Wall" which was how they communicated in the Hanoi Hilton.

Location hidden

#80094 Feb 12, 2013
Thanks, sgt. I am going to maintain both gym memberships for a month then decide which one I want to stick with.

And I'm going to go buy a couple more towels (I don't want to use my two nice towels that match my bathroom for gym use).

Location hidden

#80095 Feb 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I am not a fan of poetry, either, even though I have written it and even got two poems published in a book of poetry.

You definitely have me interested in checkingb this out.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80096 Feb 12, 2013
My thoughts on the Pope resigning - I have a great deal of respect and admiration for someone who can put the good of community above his own self-interest. That being said, I don't understand the timing of his resignation. Easter is the most important day in the Catholic religion and the Pope is leaving the Church and her people without a leader during Lent.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80097 Feb 12, 2013
I'm with you Jess, except I'm thinking his health is just that bad to make him do it.

I'm not much into the Pope or anything, but I can respect that some people see him as a very holy man. I'm thinking it has to be bad, given the timing and the way it is being done.

I have to admit when I first heard it on the news a day or two back, my immediate thought was he must have did something very wrong. Then his whole health thing came to light. So I dunno.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Incognito4Ever 1,127,279
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 58 min Boy G 50,658
Amy 10-24 1 hr RACE 16
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr _Zoey_ 4,800
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr WelbyMD 179,478
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 5 hr Wolverine33 654
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 hr Ratloder 68,672
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]