Comments
78,981 - 79,000 of 97,948 Comments Last updated 20 hrs ago

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#80058 Feb 11, 2013
Toj wrote:
I looked it up. We all were wrong for YEARS. It is Matt-e-son. Hmmm. Learn something new everyday.
This is how I always pronounced it.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#80059 Feb 11, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
I blew snot one day when i heard someone call it Joy-let... now idea how they got that.
I say Jol-yay sarcastically. Like Tar-jay, the store that's like Wal-Mart, but nicer.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80060 Feb 11, 2013
Toj wrote:
Something I ran into on Google news. I'm not in agreement with it but I'm sure there are people here who are. Short-sighted and narrow-minded is what I think it is.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/02/05/to-...
Here's an excerpt:
"But the truth must be heard. Being equal in worth, or value, is not the same as being identical, interchangeable beings. Men and women may be capable of doing many of the same things, but that doesnít mean they want to. That we donít have more female CEOs or stay-at-home dads proves this in spades."
I agree 100% with this assessment. I am good at math. It has always come easy to me. There are many people for whom it is NOT easy. For them, it is hard work. Are we equal? Not as far as math is concerned. I'm superior to many others. Certainly those not good at math can work really hard and achieve the same results, but does that make them equal?
There are people who are extremely persuasive. They can sell ice to an Eskimo. I, on the other hand, could not sell water to a man in the dessert. A good salesman might be able to sell product A in 5 minutes just cause it comes naturally to him. If I spenda week working on someone and finally make the sale, am I equal? Hell no.

People excel at different things. That being said, I fully agree that being equal in worth does not mean we are interchangeable beings. What about this do you disagree with?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80061 Feb 11, 2013
Toj wrote:
Something I ran into on Google news. I'm not in agreement with it but I'm sure there are people here who are. Short-sighted and narrow-minded is what I think it is.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/02/05/to-...
Here's an excerpt:
"But the truth must be heard. Being equal in worth, or value, is not the same as being identical, interchangeable beings. Men and women may be capable of doing many of the same things, but that doesnít mean they want to. That we donít have more female CEOs or stay-at-home dads proves this in spades."
I think THIS is the narrow minded excerpt.

"men and women are equal, but different."

I think PEOPLE are equal but different.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80062 Feb 11, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I agree 100% with this assessment. I am good at math. It has always come easy to me. There are many people for whom it is NOT easy. For them, it is hard work. Are we equal? Not as far as math is concerned. I'm superior to many others. Certainly those not good at math can work really hard and achieve the same results, but does that make them equal?
There are people who are extremely persuasive. They can sell ice to an Eskimo. I, on the other hand, could not sell water to a man in the dessert. A good salesman might be able to sell product A in 5 minutes just cause it comes naturally to him. If I spenda week working on someone and finally make the sale, am I equal? Hell no.

People excel at different things. That being said, I fully agree that being equal in worth does not mean we are interchangeable beings. What about this do you disagree with?
Are you saying that you are good at math because you are male?
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80063 Feb 11, 2013
Not great news for purple and brown line riders:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201302...

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80064 Feb 11, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I think THIS is the narrow minded excerpt.
"men and women are equal, but different."
I think PEOPLE are equal but different.
I believe you and I agree. I do believe people are different and everyone has different strengths. Without the push for equality between the sexes (and race, etc.), and equality does not mean mirror, the workplace would be horrible for women (and ethnic groups, etc.).

I worked during the 1970s. Late 1970s, but still. I think it is better for women now then back then.

Regarding the writer's point-of-view, I fail to see just b/c you haven't reach 100% equal means you should give it all up. It's the proverbial throwing away the baby with the bath water, to me.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80065 Feb 11, 2013
When I was still pretty new to Minnesota, I got a call from a client and he mentioned that he was in "Peer," south dakota. I CORRECTED him. "It's PIERRE." (how dooshy of me!)

"Young lady, I am FROM here. It's PEER."
Sam I Am

Cedar Grove, TN

#80066 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
When I was still pretty new to Minnesota, I got a call from a client and he mentioned that he was in "Peer," south dakota. I CORRECTED him. "It's PIERRE." (how dooshy of me!)
"Young lady, I am FROM here. It's PEER."
You should have insisted he was wrong. It's what Mutt would have done.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#80067 Feb 11, 2013

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#80068 Feb 11, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
Not great news for purple and brown line riders:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201302...
Joy.

Location hidden

#80069 Feb 11, 2013
Prince sent Twitter fans into a tizzy when he walked onstage in a black hoodie, dark sunglasses and a cane. "Prince is such an inspiration," joked Paula Poundstone, in response to his appearance. "I've never heard him complain once about going blind." Another Twitter fan wrote: "How is it that Prince is both awkwardly weird, but also probably the coolest dude in the room?"

Location hidden

#80070 Feb 11, 2013
Thanks, squishy,that was entertaining.

Location hidden

#80071 Feb 11, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have insisted he was wrong. It's what Mutt would have done.
I may be a know-it-all, but I say "I was wrnog, you were right" all the time! It's so easy to say! Who cares? Life's too short to alienate people by being so stubborn.

Location hidden

#80072 Feb 11, 2013
Any thoughts re: the Pope stepping down? My thought is that he has alzheimer's or dementia, and to me, that's a good reason to step down. I can understand riding it out if you have terminal cancer, ALS, etc., because your judgment isn't necessarily impaired, but to have cognitive brain changes that (1) keep you from performing your job and (2) don't inspire the public's confidence, that's very different.

If that is the case, kudos to him for thinking the papacy is too important to cling to it until death.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#80073 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I may be a know-it-all, but I say "I was wrnog, you were right" all the time!
Oh please, you haven't said that to me once!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#80074 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Any thoughts re: the Pope stepping down? My thought is that he has alzheimer's or dementia, and to me, that's a good reason to step down. I can understand riding it out if you have terminal cancer, ALS, etc., because your judgment isn't necessarily impaired, but to have cognitive brain changes that (1) keep you from performing your job and (2) don't inspire the public's confidence, that's very different.
If that is the case, kudos to him for thinking the papacy is too important to cling to it until death.
I was thinking it was something terminal, but alzheimers or some other dementia makes more sense.
(and isn't alzheimers basically a terminal illness anyway? Never heard of anyone coming back from that)

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#80075 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Can we call jmw anchorbaby now?
No, anchorbabies are born here.

Let's call her a foreign commie, instead!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#80076 Feb 11, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that you are good at math because you are male?
Where is all this man-hating coming from lately?

Is it because Christie turned out to be a liberal?

Location hidden

#80077 Feb 11, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking it was something terminal, but alzheimers or some other dementia makes more sense.
(and isn't alzheimers basically a terminal illness anyway? Never heard of anyone coming back from that)
I didn't think it was a terminal illness because it's the first time in like 800 years that a pope hasn't died in office.

And yes, alzheimer's eventually will kill you, but that can take 10-20 years. You're just as likely to die of cancer before the alzheimer's kills you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 15 min _Zoey_ 301
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Grey Ghost 1,101,068
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 22 min Eric 69,050
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr gcaveman1 46,361
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 68,393
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Learn to Read 177,493
12 wounded in city shootings 3 hr reality is a crutch 1
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info