Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80095 Feb 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
RACE, I heard a story on the radio that made me think of you.
It was an interview with a Viet Nam pow who composed poetry while a prisoner. Just published them in a book called "Taps on the Wall" which was how they communicated in the Hanoi Hilton.
He read one and it was really moving and I hate poetry.
I am not a fan of poetry, either, even though I have written it and even got two poems published in a book of poetry.

You definitely have me interested in checkingb this out.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80096 Feb 12, 2013
My thoughts on the Pope resigning - I have a great deal of respect and admiration for someone who can put the good of community above his own self-interest. That being said, I don't understand the timing of his resignation. Easter is the most important day in the Catholic religion and the Pope is leaving the Church and her people without a leader during Lent.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80097 Feb 12, 2013
I'm with you Jess, except I'm thinking his health is just that bad to make him do it.

I'm not much into the Pope or anything, but I can respect that some people see him as a very holy man. I'm thinking it has to be bad, given the timing and the way it is being done.

I have to admit when I first heard it on the news a day or two back, my immediate thought was he must have did something very wrong. Then his whole health thing came to light. So I dunno.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#80098 Feb 12, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
My thoughts on the Pope resigning - I have a great deal of respect and admiration for someone who can put the good of community above his own self-interest. That being said, I don't understand the timing of his resignation. Easter is the most important day in the Catholic religion and the Pope is leaving the Church and her people without a leader during Lent.
I thought about that too. I wonder if this was deliberate because A) he has something seriously wrong with him that will leave him totally incapacitated by Easter or B) someone has dirt on him from his past and he is avoiding an embarrassment to the church by stepping down before it can go public?
His resignation is effective 28 Feb, and Easter isn't until 31 Mar this year. That should give them plenty of time to have someone in place before then. I know there is a waiting period between a pope's death and the election of a new one, but no idea about when he resigns. It may be that they can have the election now, and the new pope could be in place the day of the resignation.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80099 Feb 12, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Easter is the most important day in the Catholic religion and the Pope is leaving the Church and her people without a leader during Lent.
I was raised Catholic and consider myself as such even though I am non-practicing. That being said, I was a regular curch goer for a good 18 years. What exactly do you think you will be missing out on come Easter? Pope never made any special appearances at my church during easter. I doubt the Pope is assigning topics for the local Pastors to get up there and preach about for Easter mass. I just don't see how this would have any actual effect on you.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80100 Feb 12, 2013
Toj wrote:
I'm with you Jess, except I'm thinking his health is just that bad to make him do it.
I'm not much into the Pope or anything, but I can respect that some people see him as a very holy man. I'm thinking it has to be bad, given the timing and the way it is being done.
I have to admit when I first heard it on the news a day or two back, my immediate thought was he must have did something very wrong. Then his whole health thing came to light. So I dunno.
I am not Catholic but I find it an anomoly in a faith that exalt til death do us part, in sickness and in health, etc.

Location hidden

#80101 Feb 12, 2013
Like I said yesterda, I think it's dementia. He even referred to his mental health along with his physical health in his press release.

I'm sure he didn't make this decision lightly.

I don't think there's any ugly news coming forth about his past -- I think that would have happened a long time ago, like when he first became pope.

Location hidden

#80102 Feb 12, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Do you know whether church doctrine/cardinal rules allow for them to choose a pope while there's still a seated pope? So there's an immediate transfer of leadership?

Location hidden

#80103 Feb 12, 2013
Nick says he's catholic. I tell him he's not. He doesn't believe in Jesus, doesn't go to church, doesn't believe in any tenents of the faith.

Location hidden

#80104 Feb 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Like I said yesterda, I think it's dementia. He even referred to his mental health along with his physical health in his press release.
I'm sure he didn't make this decision lightly.
I don't think there's any ugly news coming forth about his past -- I think that would have happened a long time ago, like when he first became pope.
I agree. It's very unlikely. Still possible, although I also think it is his health.

Location hidden

#80105 Feb 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Nick says he's catholic. I tell him he's not. He doesn't believe in Jesus, doesn't go to church, doesn't believe in any tenents of the faith.
I went to high school with a "devout" Catholic who actually got in a fist fight with someone who referred to her as a Christian.

"I am NOT a Christian. I'm a CATHOLIC!!!" Whatever.

Location hidden

#80106 Feb 12, 2013
Sgt__Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to high school with a "devout" Catholic who actually got in a fist fight with someone who referred to her as a Christian.
"I am NOT a Christian. I'm a CATHOLIC!!!" Whatever.
Sounds like someone slept through catechism class.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80107 Feb 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
There's a certain part of being a Catholic that is part culture and not strictly about faith, I think.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#80108 Feb 12, 2013
I've been hearing that the college of cardinals will call the conclave in March... THey kinda don't know what to do and how do to do in in this situation... they don't even know how to refer to benedict after he "retires"! There's no "pope emeritus", he was promoted so he's not a cardinal any more.... i guess there's even question about where he might live. the last pope to resign tried to live out his life in peace in a monestary.

When a pope dies, there's a 9 (i think) day mourning period, then they start calling everyone to Rome to start teh conclave.

definately an interesting time in history!

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#80109 Feb 12, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a certain part of being a Catholic that is part culture and not strictly about faith, I think.
Ayup. My mom always makes macaroni & cheese from scratch for as wednesday dinner. she realized she "failed" something wehn the family would be like "oh goody, mac & cheese soon!" instead of figurign out which service we would go to...

Location hidden

#80110 Feb 12, 2013
I can buy the "catholicism as a culture" if you were brought up that way -- catholic school, devout household,etc. But Nick didn't. Church once a week, if that, until he was in his teens?

He didn't baptize his kids and his kids have no idea who god or jesus are (their mom's choice). He's a pretty shitty catholic if he's catholic.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80111 Feb 12, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I can buy the "catholicism as a culture" if you were brought up that way -- catholic school, devout household,etc. But Nick didn't. Church once a week, if that, until he was in his teens?
He didn't baptize his kids and his kids have no idea who god or jesus are (their mom's choice). He's a pretty shitty catholic if he's catholic.
Oh. Well, here's a way to call him on it. Tell him you want to go to Mass this Sunday and would like him to accompany you.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#80112 Feb 12, 2013
Wow, heavy day. We're talking religion here and abortion on the Abby thread.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80113 Feb 12, 2013
There's some doozies on yesterday's Prudie. It started off with this one:
Link: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

Q. Dead Doppelganger: I recently applied for a job as the assistant director at a well-regarded art gallery. In a pre-interview phone call with the director, she told me that my credentials were an excellent match with the position and set up an interview. The minute I walked in the gallery and introduced myself at the reception desk, I started getting weird vibes and worse. Employees, including the director, stepped back when they saw me, or gasped, or fled. I checked my appearance in the bathroom and found nothing amiss. Except for this, the interview itself went fine, from my perspective, but I didn't get the job. I asked a friend at another gallery if she knew who did get it, and it turned out to be a guy fresh out of college. Because of the gap between his credentials and mine, I decided to write to the director and ask her if she could shed some light on the situation. Surprisingly, she said she'd meet me for coffee to discuss it. She told me that the person who previously held the job looked just like me, was a dead ringer for me, in fact, and in fact was dead. The other employees had pleaded with her not to hire me. I looked him up online and saw pictures that shocked me as well as my younger sister. From his obituary I learned he had died in a car accident three months ago, and he was my age. At first I thought I could make some sort of hiring complaint, but obviously I would never fit in there, to say the least. My concern now is that I think I had a twin. Should I bring this up with my mother? Or find some friends of the dead guy and ask them more about his history? As you can imagine, I've been in a real state for the past few weeks.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#80114 Feb 12, 2013
I was raised Catholic, and am non-practicing now and really disagree with some of their views. It was easy to stop when they went to an english mass. But I think that calling oneself Catholic is more like identifying what your ethnic background is.
Or it was a result of those mean nuns beating religion into us.

In Az I answered the door to a Baptist minister recruiting for his church. When I told him I was not interested, I am Catholic, he then told me I was going to hell. So I said I don't care, I'll be dead anyways. Got rid of him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Santa Claus delayed in Chicago after getting th... 55 min ChicagOpinion 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Guru 182,028
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr johnplustwomore 1,155,536
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr J RULES 71,188
Chicago Pizza Blows 8 hr joey 2
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 hr KiMare 51,279
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 8 hr IUEC 7,564
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web