Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#80038 Feb 11, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
Miscellaneous:
News Headline: "Obama continues Bush practice of shredding the Constitution."
We find bipartisanship where we can.
The Case for Zero Tolerance of Modern School Administrators:
A 7-year-old boy in Loveland, Colo., was suspended for violating his school's weapons policy when at recess he threw an imaginary grenade at an imaginary box that had something evil inside and made a grenade noise.
News Headline: "Cell phone user allegedly choked by theatergoer in Sarasota's Performing Arts Center."
From the Annals of the Federal Department of Police Squad:
U.S. Air Force veteran Saadiq Long, who was unable to fly from Qatar to Oklahoma City because he was mistakenly on a Homeland Security no-fly list, finally was removed from the list and flew to Oklahoma City, where he visited and is now unable to return to Qatar because he is back on the list.
News Headline: "Clint Eastwood isn't satisfied with Congress."
Could someone please find 535 chairs so we can have this out?
REgardless of who is in power: OUr government is stupid.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#80039 Feb 11, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Something to celebrate: 31 years ago today, I set foot on American soil for the first time.
Woot woot! Happy anniversary!

For all its craziness, I still like this place okay.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#80040 Feb 11, 2013
RACE wrote:
Whoot! The American Dream lives on!!
Oh, wait! The dog will say how you took some Americans job!
<quoted text>
Nah, he'd only say that if her skin was darker than a paper bag.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80041 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
WElcome! When did you become a citizen?
IN other news, today there's a letter int he paper from a French Canadian in Quebec, chastizing us for mispronouncing all kinds of french names of places here in Minnesta. She LITERALLY wants us to say "sahn pau" instaed of St. Paul. And "Brah-nair" instead of "Brainered." She has declared a day of "pronouncing french names correctly in Minnesota." Fucking bitch.
Invite her to Illinois to DesPlaines. She'll croak...like a French frog.

(for you ferriners, it's pronounced Dess Playnes)

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#80042 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
When our three foreign employees (Nigeria, Cambodia, Russia) became citizens, our office threw a party with cake and ice cream and made a nice fuss over it! I thought it was great to honor them that way.
We do the samet hing when someone completes their bachelor degree or passes a milestone professional exam.
A couple of years ago, we had a Lebanese guy who worked here who got his citizenship. We had cake and a party too and I thought it was great.

Miami, FL

#80043 Feb 11, 2013
RACE wrote:
Whoot! The American Dream lives on!!
Oh, wait! The dog will say how you took some Americans job!
<quoted text>
To which I say: bitch, I *AM* an American!

Miami, FL

#80044 Feb 11, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Woot woot! Happy anniversary!
For all its craziness, I still like this place okay.
Thanks! Same here. Although if the weather in Canada wasn't so freaking cold, Toronto really had me tempted when I visited there.
;)

Location hidden

#80045 Feb 11, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Invite her to Illinois to DesPlaines. She'll croak...like a French frog.
That's how we convinced the Chicagoland kids at Iowa State U. that it was pronounced "Dez Mwah-nez" instead of "deh moyne."

Location hidden

#80046 Feb 11, 2013
Can we call jmw anchorbaby now?
dahgts

Chicago, IL

#80047 Feb 11, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Invite her to Illinois to DesPlaines. She'll croak...like a French frog.
When I worked in Phoenix, people there would pronounce our plant there with the accent on Des.

And then I come back here and people are pronouncing Matteson, mat-son. It's ma-te-son. Years ago the Trib had a whole page dedicated to the correct pronunciation and why.

ok, crankiness...deal.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#80048 Feb 11, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Something to celebrate: 31 years ago today, I set foot on American soil for the first time.
Congratulations!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#80049 Feb 11, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I was four.:)
I was born in Budapest, Hungary, lived there for the first two years of my life, then lived in Liverpool, England for the next two so stepping directly from there.
To answer Ang's question, my mom and I both became citizens when I was 7.
And I have to admit that I don't necessarily remember the date myself... my mom reminds me every year.
Cool. You were a well-travelled person at the age of 4!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80050 Feb 11, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
When I worked in Phoenix, people there would pronounce our plant there with the accent on Des.
And then I come back here and people are pronouncing Matteson, mat-son. It's ma-te-son. Years ago the Trib had a whole page dedicated to the correct pronunciation and why.
ok, crankiness...deal.
I learned "Matt-son" was the correct pronunciation many, many years ago. You mean everyone was wrong over 30 years ago? I'm not doubting you b/c a lot of people pronounce Joliet as Jolly-et and it drives me nuts. It's Joel-eee-et.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80051 Feb 11, 2013
I looked it up. We all were wrong for YEARS. It is Matt-e-son. Hmmm. Learn something new everyday.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#80052 Feb 11, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
WElcome! When did you become a citizen?
IN other news, today there's a letter int he paper from a French Canadian in Quebec, chastizing us for mispronouncing all kinds of french names of places here in Minnesta. She LITERALLY wants us to say "sahn pau" instaed of St. Paul. And "Brah-nair" instead of "Brainered." She has declared a day of "pronouncing french names correctly in Minnesota." Fucking bitch.
she'd have an absolute fit over what they do in Illinois, then.... Marsales, Kayro, New AAAAthens, Des Planes, Ill-annoy... there;s a few ohters but they don't come to mind right now...

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#80053 Feb 11, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I learned "Matt-son" was the correct pronunciation many, many years ago. You mean everyone was wrong over 30 years ago? I'm not doubting you b/c a lot of people pronounce Joliet as Jolly-et and it drives me nuts. It's Joel-eee-et.
I blew snot one day when i heard someone call it Joy-let... now idea how they got that.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80054 Feb 11, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Puyallup. Go ahead.

I have more. This place is just rife with Salish names.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80055 Feb 11, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Congratulations!!!

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80056 Feb 11, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And the country's been going down hill ever since!
Doosh.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#80057 Feb 11, 2013
Something I ran into on Google news. I'm not in agreement with it but I'm sure there are people here who are. Short-sighted and narrow-minded is what I think it is.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/02/05/to-...

Here's an excerpt:

"But the truth must be heard. Being equal in worth, or value, is not the same as being identical, interchangeable beings. Men and women may be capable of doing many of the same things, but that doesnít mean they want to. That we donít have more female CEOs or stay-at-home dads proves this in spades."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min John Galt 1,127,263
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 47 min well 50,657
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr jacques Ottawa 179,477
Amy 10-24 3 hr your poor wife 15
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr Wolverine33 654
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr Ratloder 68,672
Rattlesnake Logic 7 hr i need a bump to 22
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]