Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#79997 Feb 10, 2013
Heh. I follow God on twitter:

There was a time when Jesus went around calling himself the Savior Formerly Known as Prince of Peace.

Location hidden

#79998 Feb 10, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Kahlua chili recipe please!
:)
I have it in my email! but your name is not popping up for me (it will on my work computer). Shoot me an email and I will forward it to you.

I've never used ANYONE'S recipe for chili, and this is outstanding.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#79999 Feb 10, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
ditto

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#80000 Feb 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have it in my email! but your name is not popping up for me (it will on my work computer). Shoot me an email and I will forward it to you.
I've never used ANYONE'S recipe for chili, and this is outstanding.
Done. I had to get off my ass and go to the real computer (as opposed to the iPad, sitting on the couch) because my iPad doesn't "know" your email address.

While I'm here, I might as well tell you guys about my next door neighbor who went apeshit last night. I woke up at 3:45 am to the sound of someone's place being destroyed - it sounded like furniture was being thrown around. At first, I couldn't figure out if it was upstairs or next door, but when I walked out into the living room I could hear him clear as a bell through the wall, calling some girl an effing bitch, etc. I never heard another voice so I don't know if it was on the phone or in person, and I decided if it went on much longer I'd call the front desk. Luckily, he must have worn himself out.

I thought I'd be done for going back to sleep, but thank goodness I was wrong about that.

Location hidden

#80001 Feb 10, 2013
Jmw - just emailed it to you. I will cut and paste it here for you tonka. Might need to do it in two rounds.

1. I used store-bought kahlua. I'm not making homemade liqueur!!!
2. I followed her recipe almost exactly. instead of 2 pounds hamburger, I used 1 pound, plus 1 pound of beef stew meat that I cut into smaller pieces.
3. I did use all three tbsp of cayenne, and I don't think heat lovers will think it's spicy enough. I did splurge and bought marjoram -- it seems to complement the oregano nicely.
4. I do not like kidney beans, so I used black beans instead.
5. Tomatoes: I'm not cutting/dicing tomatoes for chili, so I bought a big can of petite diced tomatoes, and one big can of crushed tomatoes.
6. I forgot the parsley and probably won't use it in the future -- fresh parsley is kind of a pain in the ass to find around here, and doesn't last long. I meant to use dried and forgot.

From my friend who sent it to me:

Here is my chili recipe. The way I make it, it is very spicy, but if you cook it on the stove with just 1 tsp cayenne, it is very nice.

Kahlua Kickoff Chili

2 lbs. Hamburger
2 medium onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Cup Kahlua (recipe below)
1/4 Cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 Tbs. chili powder
1 small can tomato paste
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried cayenne pepper (for a hotter chili, I use three dried ground red chili peppers, or two to three teaspoons cayenne)

1 tsp. dried cumin
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 cans (about 15 oz. each) red kidney beans, drained
2 large cans (about 30 oz. each) tomatoes, diced
1 green pepper, diced

Brown hamburger. Saut onions in a little olive or vegetable oil. Toss everything together into a big saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes.

If I am bringing this to a potluck party, I mix it all together the night before, omit the boiling and simmering stage, and put it in a crockpot the next day. All morning on the high setting will cook it for lunch, and all day on the low setting will cook it for dinner. This method produces a spicier chili, as it steeps all night.

Kahlua

10 Tbs. Good quality freeze dried coffee, such as Kona
4 Cups water
3 Cups sugar
5 tsp. vanilla
3 Cups brandy

Dissolve the coffee and the sugar in the water. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for one hour. Let cool to room temperature. Add vanilla and brandy. Bottle in 4 sterilized empty Grolsch beer bottles.(I pour boiling water in them to sterilize them)

Location hidden

#80002 Feb 10, 2013
This recipe made four quarts, I think.

Location hidden

#80003 Feb 10, 2013
And while it seemed like a lot of onion, in the end, it isn't too oniony at all.

Location hidden

#80004 Feb 10, 2013
My upstairs neighbor has a young adult son in music school, who lives with her at least part-time. I heard him playing Queen's "Fat bottomed girls" friday night, so I took him a box of GS cookies as a reward for playing cool music made before he wasborn. He told me his mom is out of town for a week.

She bathes in patchouli or sandalwood (I forget which smell is which), and she seems pissed off all the time and drops the F bomb a lot.

She's at a meditation retreat.

West Palm Beach, FL

#80005 Feb 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And while it seemed like a lot of onion, in the end, it isn't too oniony at all.
That's how my grandmother's stuffed pepper recipe is too. It makes so much, the onions don't overpower the taste at all.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80006 Feb 10, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto.

Location hidden

#80007 Feb 10, 2013
At first, I didn't really care much for the flavor that the kahlua gave it (i'm not a coffee fan--I don't even like mocha stuff). after it simmered for a while, the coffee notes disappeared and what it did was gave the chili a sort of richness to the flavor -- and color.

Also: I like my chili a little soupy b/c I like to use crackers, so I simmered with the lid on to save moisture -- it's not soupy at all, but it's also not a thick chewy chili.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#80008 Feb 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
At first, I didn't really care much for the flavor that the kahlua gave it (i'm not a coffee fan--I don't even like mocha stuff). after it simmered for a while, the coffee notes disappeared and what it did was gave the chili a sort of richness to the flavor -- and color.
Also: I like my chili a little soupy b/c I like to use crackers, so I simmered with the lid on to save moisture -- it's not soupy at all, but it's also not a thick chewy chili.
I usually add chocolate (70% cocao) because it gives it a good depth of flavor. I think I'm going to try adding coffee now. Save me buying a bottle of Kahlua.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#80009 Feb 11, 2013
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80010 Feb 11, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually add chocolate (70% cocao) because it gives it a good depth of flavor. I think I'm going to try adding coffee now. Save me buying a bottle of Kahlua.
Chocolate is the base of a lot of mole sauces so that makes sense.

Coffee liqueur is verywhwre and has been for ages. I wonder why the recipe author thought they needed to give a recipe for it.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80011 Feb 11, 2013
She would if I would let her. She has been on the boat while its idling. I have a harness, and If I can get that on her, I will take her. Not sure how the mutt is gonna like that though.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumb question: Does your cat go on the boat?(Some cats like that.)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#80012 Feb 11, 2013
<Snerk!>
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks really relaxing.
Alas, no boatrides for me; all our waterways are frozen.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#80013 Feb 11, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Coffee liqueur is verywhwre and has been for ages. I wonder why the recipe author thought they needed to give a recipe for it.
Cause some people like to do things the hard way.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#80014 Feb 11, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Mostly for Tonka:
The Cider Summit was phenomonal....
Did not know you guys were into cider. I always hated it, until I went to a pizza place last fall and they offered Angry Orchard Crisp Apple on tap...yum! Then I went and bought up whatever I could find locally, which wasn't much. Woodchuck Pumpkin tasted like ass, other than that, I'm a fan. I'll have to check some of these out.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80015 Feb 11, 2013
HP p6 2220t @$350 with Windows 7 looks like the pick 4GB RAM,500GB hard drive. A good Intel processor. Only 2 USB ports though.

Thanks to all for input and comments.

Apple was too pricey. Maybe when I am rich.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#80016 Feb 11, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did not know you guys were into cider. I always hated it, until I went to a pizza place last fall and they offered Angry Orchard Crisp Apple on tap...yum! Then I went and bought up whatever I could find locally, which wasn't much. Woodchuck Pumpkin tasted like ass, other than that, I'm a fan. I'll have to check some of these out.
If they do this next year, I will let you know and you can make ait a field trip.

Woodchuck is available at Dominicks - the big grocery chain here.A couple of its lines are good. I like Strongbow and Magners which is often available on draft at such bars as I actually go to.

I tried a couple Crispin flavors and found them too thin regardless of the apple presence or the dryness.

Michelob has a cider it is labeling Ultra Lite that I won't touch with a name like that. I wonder who they think their target market is?

I had tried a bottle of Angry Orchard (Late harvest?)last year and it was way too sweet. Much like farmers market cider forgotten in the back of the fridge so I was surprised that some of their samples were good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min John Galt 1,110,101
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 min Who Needs Science 46,731
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 12 min TRD 68,498
WE are doomed if this continues. 20 min FascistNaziStarDe... 7
Abby 9-20 23 min PEllen 10
Nature of war: Chimps inherently violent; Study... 54 min reality is a crutch 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Stpitalredi 49,874
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr Jacques from Ottawa 178,078
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••