|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Mostly for Tonka:
Thanks for the review. My favorite is Woodchuck, and although they recently put out a ginger, I'd probably rate Angry Orchard's ginger higher. Interesting that they say they can't keep up with production. When I first had it, it was definitely a 6-pack.

As for my beloved Woodchuck, the stuff they brought(according to the website was just ok(farmhouse select) and downright awful(private reserve) in my opinion. I've had them both exactly once. The Farmhouse just didn't do anything for me and the reserve, I think was a chore to finish the 6 pack without pouring it down the sink. Their seasonal (literally, winter, spring, summer, fall) are where its at. I stocked up on several cases of winter to last me a while.

I've had crispin. Liked it, but not enough to buy more.
I like Ace. Have boufht them a number of times.

As for the rest, I'll have to save your review for the next time I'm out, looking for a new one to try.

I won't be lobbying them to come to Orlando. Maybe just use it as a good excuse for a mom and dad only trip to chicago or atlanta.
The most intersting thing about Orlando not being on the radar, there is a yearly beerfest out at Citywalk. Local radio guys were talking about it last year and said Woodchuck had a table and it seemed like the most popular table there.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

PE, that guy seems to be full of shit. I just checked my local total wine's inventory( i can shop online and do store pickup), and they have Angry Orchard Ginger 6-packs available.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Damn, PE, now you got me window shoppin. Lookin at all the different ciders at my total wine. Stuff i never noticed in the store. Web site even telling what aisle to go to.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Thank goodness for Angela and her Grammy-related Facebook statuses (stati?). I have time to kill to a) let the onion stink air out, because I refuse to go to bed with the slider open, lest Spider-Man break in (I browned ground beef & onions for my taco salad lunches this week... too late at night); and b) wait out the one beer I had to wear off before popping the nightly unisom.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

I treat FB like it's Twitter. : )

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

In other news, I bought new sheets today. I'm hoping that will make a minuscule difference in my mental health.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

jmw, Nick's place is set up in a way that there is NO air circulation, so he has to shut bedroom doors before cooking meat and other similarly fragrant foods. I hate waking up in the morning and smelling what I cooked the night before.

Today I made chili from a recipe a coworker gave me. It calls for kahlua! I took only a couple/three tastes, and it was delicious. Last nihgt, I made cold tuna pasta salad for the first time -- YUM.

I'm set for the week, other than fruits and veggies.

And I'm SICK of being in the kitchen.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
jmw, Nick's place is set up in a way that there is NO air circulation, so he has to shut bedroom doors before cooking meat and other similarly fragrant foods. I hate waking up in the morning and smelling what I cooked the night before.

Today I made chili from a recipe a coworker gave me. It calls for kahlua! I took only a couple/three tastes, and it was delicious. Last nihgt, I made cold tuna pasta salad for the first time -- YUM.

I'm set for the week, other than fruits and veggies.

And I'm SICK of being in the kitchen.
Kahlua chili recipe please!
:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Heh. I follow God on twitter:

There was a time when Jesus went around calling himself the Savior Formerly Known as Prince of Peace.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I have it in my email! but your name is not popping up for me (it will on my work computer). Shoot me an email and I will forward it to you.

I've never used ANYONE'S recipe for chili, and this is outstanding.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
ditto

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have it in my email! but your name is not popping up for me (it will on my work computer). Shoot me an email and I will forward it to you.
I've never used ANYONE'S recipe for chili, and this is outstanding.
Done. I had to get off my ass and go to the real computer (as opposed to the iPad, sitting on the couch) because my iPad doesn't "know" your email address.

While I'm here, I might as well tell you guys about my next door neighbor who went apeshit last night. I woke up at 3:45 am to the sound of someone's place being destroyed - it sounded like furniture was being thrown around. At first, I couldn't figure out if it was upstairs or next door, but when I walked out into the living room I could hear him clear as a bell through the wall, calling some girl an effing bitch, etc. I never heard another voice so I don't know if it was on the phone or in person, and I decided if it went on much longer I'd call the front desk. Luckily, he must have worn himself out.

I thought I'd be done for going back to sleep, but thank goodness I was wrong about that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Jmw - just emailed it to you. I will cut and paste it here for you tonka. Might need to do it in two rounds.

1. I used store-bought kahlua. I'm not making homemade liqueur!!!
2. I followed her recipe almost exactly. instead of 2 pounds hamburger, I used 1 pound, plus 1 pound of beef stew meat that I cut into smaller pieces.
3. I did use all three tbsp of cayenne, and I don't think heat lovers will think it's spicy enough. I did splurge and bought marjoram -- it seems to complement the oregano nicely.
4. I do not like kidney beans, so I used black beans instead.
5. Tomatoes: I'm not cutting/dicing tomatoes for chili, so I bought a big can of petite diced tomatoes, and one big can of crushed tomatoes.
6. I forgot the parsley and probably won't use it in the future -- fresh parsley is kind of a pain in the ass to find around here, and doesn't last long. I meant to use dried and forgot.

From my friend who sent it to me:

Here is my chili recipe. The way I make it, it is very spicy, but if you cook it on the stove with just 1 tsp cayenne, it is very nice.

Kahlua Kickoff Chili

2 lbs. Hamburger
2 medium onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Cup Kahlua (recipe below)
1/4 Cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 Tbs. chili powder
1 small can tomato paste
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried cayenne pepper (for a hotter chili, I use three dried ground red chili peppers, or two to three teaspoons cayenne)

1 tsp. dried cumin
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 cans (about 15 oz. each) red kidney beans, drained
2 large cans (about 30 oz. each) tomatoes, diced
1 green pepper, diced

Brown hamburger. Sauté onions in a little olive or vegetable oil. Toss everything together into a big saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes.

If I am bringing this to a potluck party, I mix it all together the night before, omit the boiling and simmering stage, and put it in a crockpot the next day. All morning on the high setting will cook it for lunch, and all day on the low setting will cook it for dinner. This method produces a spicier chili, as it steeps all night.

Kahlua

10 Tbs. Good quality freeze dried coffee, such as Kona
4 Cups water
3 Cups sugar
5 tsp. vanilla
3 Cups brandy

Dissolve the coffee and the sugar in the water. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for one hour. Let cool to room temperature. Add vanilla and brandy. Bottle in 4 sterilized empty Grolsch beer bottles.(I pour boiling water in them to sterilize them)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

This recipe made four quarts, I think.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

And while it seemed like a lot of onion, in the end, it isn't too oniony at all.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

My upstairs neighbor has a young adult son in music school, who lives with her at least part-time. I heard him playing Queen's "Fat bottomed girls" friday night, so I took him a box of GS cookies as a reward for playing cool music made before he wasborn. He told me his mom is out of town for a week.

She bathes in patchouli or sandalwood (I forget which smell is which), and she seems pissed off all the time and drops the F bomb a lot.

She's at a meditation retreat.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And while it seemed like a lot of onion, in the end, it isn't too oniony at all.
That's how my grandmother's stuffed pepper recipe is too. It makes so much, the onions don't overpower the taste at all.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

At first, I didn't really care much for the flavor that the kahlua gave it (i'm not a coffee fan--I don't even like mocha stuff). after it simmered for a while, the coffee notes disappeared and what it did was gave the chili a sort of richness to the flavor -- and color.

Also: I like my chili a little soupy b/c I like to use crackers, so I simmered with the lid on to save moisture -- it's not soupy at all, but it's also not a thick chewy chili.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
At first, I didn't really care much for the flavor that the kahlua gave it (i'm not a coffee fan--I don't even like mocha stuff). after it simmered for a while, the coffee notes disappeared and what it did was gave the chili a sort of richness to the flavor -- and color.
Also: I like my chili a little soupy b/c I like to use crackers, so I simmered with the lid on to save moisture -- it's not soupy at all, but it's also not a thick chewy chili.
I usually add chocolate (70% cocao) because it gives it a good depth of flavor. I think I'm going to try adding coffee now. Save me buying a bottle of Kahlua.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

55 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min woodtick57 1,084,389
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Dale 175,208
Obama, Emanuel Need to Put Chicago's Kids First 16 min ronnie 4
glitch plagued obama care website cost us ameri... 51 min hands on AR 1
More Violence in Chicago in a Violence Filled C... 1 hr Culture Auditor 3
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr truth 49,025
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr voice of peace 68,069
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info