Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Ok. I take back what I said about Journey. Watching a concert on Palladia. Asian Steve Perry is pretty good.
I'm a big Journey fan and have most of their CDs.

But Asian Steve Perry? Is that the guy they replaced Steve Perry with who looks a little like him (like the hair) and REALLY sounds a lot like him?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

I hope jess is doing okay! Nick said one town in CT already had 34 FREAKING INCHES OF SNOW this morning!9999

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I always buy HP. I've had a few others, Gateway, Compaq, IBM, etc., back in the day, but I always go with HP....except not there's windows 8 and I freaking hate it. I installed it on this laptop and gave it a few days then I had to uninstall it. I hate it. Did I say I hate it? I'm going to call HP and see if they can make me one that comes with windows 7, but I doubt it. I'll just have to go to Apple. <shrug>
both dell and hp offer hard drives loaded with New Coke er I mean windows 7

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I hope jess is doing okay! Nick said one town in CT already had 34 FREAKING INCHES OF SNOW this morning!9999
She is further south.This looked like it followed Sandy's path.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
But Asian Steve Perry? Is that the guy they replaced Steve Perry with who looks a little like him (like the hair) and REALLY sounds a lot like him?
Who? Nooo. Asian Steve Perry is the 6'5" black guy with the 17 inch afro, that dresses like Bootsy Collins and sounds like BArry White.
:)

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

PE, late to the show, i know, but i can chime in on apple... the mini is a desk top "box" that's fully loaded. the iMac is the desk top wiht the monitor built in. I went wiht a mac book 13". the newer ones are not incuding DVD/CD players anymore, but there is an external drive available if you need that functionality. i do have the Office programs on here.

Also, to anyone on a laptop only - look into a program called One Password. it's a program that stores all your passwords under a master, monster password. it also creates "gobbledygook" passwords that are complex enough to be secure. Best of all, you don't have to think when you start a new account or remember! It was one of my conditions of moving to a laptop only that i have some sort of security like this if i were to switch to a portable device.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Who? Nooo. Asian Steve Perry is the 6'5" black guy with the 17 inch afro, that dresses like Bootsy Collins and sounds like BArry White.
Seriously? You gotta post a youtube link.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never heard of this.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never heard of this.
I'M KIDDING!

Of course Asian Steve Perry is the guy they replaced Steve Perry with who looks a little like him (like the hair) and REALLY sounds a lot like him.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Hi! We only got about 8 inches. We were outside for about 2 hours shoveling, clearing cars, helping neighbors, snowblowing (first time we used it and my husband filled it with gas over a year ago, so I don't know if stale gas was the reason we had a hard time getting it started but it took us a while) and building a fort.

The sun is out now and helping to melt the areas that were shoveled. Our area has power, thankfully. My cousin lives in RI, though. They were hit pretty hard.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
PE, late to the show, i know, but i can chime in on apple... the mini is a desk top "box" that's fully loaded. the iMac is the desk top wiht the monitor built in. I went wiht a mac book 13". the newer ones are not incuding DVD/CD players anymore, but there is an external drive available if you need that functionality. i do have the Office programs on here.
Also, to anyone on a laptop only - look into a program called One Password. it's a program that stores all your passwords under a master, monster password. it also creates "gobbledygook" passwords that are complex enough to be secure. Best of all, you don't have to think when you start a new account or remember! It was one of my conditions of moving to a laptop only that i have some sort of security like this if i were to switch to a portable device.
Oh he way cool. Thanks. I am forever having to reset my PW because I forget which one goes with which account.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> I'M KIDDING!
Of course Asian Steve Perry is the guy they replaced Steve Perry with who looks a little like him (like the hair) and REALLY sounds a lot like him.
You turd!! I'll get you! and your pugs, too!

Since: Nov 09

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

We got about 7 inches in upstate New York. We went outside to start shoveling and this beautiful man pulled up in his truck and plowed our driveway for us! It was awesome and saved us like 2 hours of work!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

JLDean wrote:
We got about 7 inches in upstate New York. We went outside to start shoveling and this beautiful man pulled up in his truck and plowed our driveway for us! It was awesome and saved us like 2 hours of work!
That is wonderful!

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

JLDean wrote:
That is so cool! I love when unexpected things like that happen :)
PEllen

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Mostly for Tonka:
The Cider Summit was phenomonal. I talked to the organizer. By about 3:30, a little more than 1/2 way through the scheduled event, they had in excess of 3X the expected attendance. By 4 some of the tables were running out of the products with the better buzz.

They are looking at Atlanta, but Orlando was not on their radar. It sounded like the limits are more based on production capabilities of the breweries as much as the market for the product.

If you wanted to lobby for an Orlando location, I have the guys name and email.

There were no European breweries, manyUS for all regions that grow apples, a number of British/Scottish and I think Irish breweries and at least one New Zealand product.

Here are my picks

Angry Orchard Apple Ginger worth buying. I have bought otehr Angry Orchard brews and would have avoided their table, but lots of people were praising this one and it was good. When I went to teh liquor store, I found that it is only being sold in a multi12 pack. The sales guy said tehy couldnt make enough to sell on its own.

Black Star Farms Sirius Maple Dessert. High alcohol cntent tastes very close to a good Cream Sherry. We shared sips and tehn my BIL dumped some thinner cider he wasn't keen about in the cup and teh mix was almost better than anything poured. If you were going to mix it, I'd suggest one of the Crispin brews.

California Cider Co, Ace Joker- dry, not fruity or apple-y. Its good but just okay. Other people around liked their perry ( pear cider) though.

Citizen Cider Unified Press, moderate dry. My BIL liked this one. I tasted their bRose ( not a typo). I wouldn't spend a drink ticket on my own on this one. My sister didn't like it either. Kind of sweet in a Lancers Rose way.

Farnum Hill Ciders. Farmhouse. No bubbles at all. Very dry. I could tell it was apple based but no sufgar sweetness at all. This would be a good substitute for a dry white wine.

Orchard Gate Thistly Cross Whiskey Cask. This is very good. There is a peat-y quality to it and a good appple taste present without being too dry or too sweet. It does better chilled but it didn't last long enough to get to room temperature. I went back for seconds and went out today to buy some. Other people liked the Thistly Cross Traditional but I didn't taste it because after my second Whiskey Cask I was getting slightly fried. My liquor store had two or three botles on the shelf. I now own them.(The label calls it Glen-something or other whiskey cask)

Samuel Smith Organic. A bit sweet but good apple taste. I like it and will buy it as soon as I finish the Whiskey Cask.

Shelton Bros Zeffer Apple Cider from NZ. A little light, but much better than the Crispin line. My sister and BIL like things from NZ. They sai this reminds them on Vino Verte or a Prosecco.

Vander Mill Totally Roasted. very good. there is a very small hint of cinnamon, but this is definitely not a spiced cider. I went out Sunday to find this and bought a bottle.

Virtue Cider Mitten. awful. However, this is teh stuff we mixed with teh Maple Sirius that made such a fabulous mix.

Prima ran out before I got to front of line. However the sales guy at the liqour store was there at the end of the event and they apparently pulled out some bottles found in the back of someone's basement. Liquor guy got to taste that, said it was really good and we discussed whether cider would age well in bottles like wine. Apparently Prima will. The liquor store had a coupel varieties on the shelf.

And, standing at the far end of Navy Pier on a cold sunny afternoon, we turned and faced O'Hare to the northwest and my sister, BIL and friend and I raised our cups to Moon and Mimi, then pivoted to I-80 and saluted Union Maid and then... we drank.

Definitely worth breaking the diet for.I cannot remeber the last time I was that tipsy. Very glad we took the CTA.

The afternoon and the post were Sublime.

Cheers

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Great post, PE! I copied and pasted it into an email and forwarded it to some friends who love hard ciders. I hope your opinions help lead them to try some of the flavors you m entioned.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Mostly for Tonka:
Thanks for the review. My favorite is Woodchuck, and although they recently put out a ginger, I'd probably rate Angry Orchard's ginger higher. Interesting that they say they can't keep up with production. When I first had it, it was definitely a 6-pack.

As for my beloved Woodchuck, the stuff they brought(according to the website was just ok(farmhouse select) and downright awful(private reserve) in my opinion. I've had them both exactly once. The Farmhouse just didn't do anything for me and the reserve, I think was a chore to finish the 6 pack without pouring it down the sink. Their seasonal (literally, winter, spring, summer, fall) are where its at. I stocked up on several cases of winter to last me a while.

I've had crispin. Liked it, but not enough to buy more.
I like Ace. Have boufht them a number of times.

As for the rest, I'll have to save your review for the next time I'm out, looking for a new one to try.

I won't be lobbying them to come to Orlando. Maybe just use it as a good excuse for a mom and dad only trip to chicago or atlanta.
The most intersting thing about Orlando not being on the radar, there is a yearly beerfest out at Citywalk. Local radio guys were talking about it last year and said Woodchuck had a table and it seemed like the most popular table there.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

PE, that guy seems to be full of shit. I just checked my local total wine's inventory( i can shop online and do store pickup), and they have Angry Orchard Ginger 6-packs available.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Damn, PE, now you got me window shoppin. Lookin at all the different ciders at my total wine. Stuff i never noticed in the store. Web site even telling what aisle to go to.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 78,921 - 78,940 of95,943
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

72 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min forks_make_us_fat 1,033,144
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Grand Birther 167,357
Abby 4-16 8 min Mister Tonka 13
Abby 4-14 12 min PEllen 41
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 13 min RJS 7,542
Amy 4-16 22 min j_m_w 7
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 23 min former res 64,884
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]