Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

RACE wrote:
Thanks, I sent that to a friend who was stuck in traffic, as I was enjoying the boatride.
<quoted text>
It looks really relaxing.

Alas, no boatrides for me; all our waterways are frozen.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
You're in my thoughts. I have no advice other than the same stuff everyone else says, but I do understand (been there, done that) and I can say it will pass...some day.
If you need distraction I can point you towards the shit-storm that is about to descend on my life in the form of my sister and all of her problems....<sigh>
Not that I don't appreciate all of you and all my RL friends, but there's something really amazing about getting support from those who have lost loved ones to death (you, and my friend C at work - her husband died a year and a half ago). It makes me feel guilty and grateful, if that makes any sense.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Well, here goes on of Edog's conspiracy theories:

"The company that supplied electricity to the Super Bowl took the blame Friday for the power outage that brought the big game to a halt, explaining that a device designed specifically to prevent a blackout failed and plunged the game into darkness for more than half an hour."

For the full article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/power-company-sa...

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Ugh, that didn't come out right.

Mimi - thank you for the kind words. I feel especially touched by your support, given what you've been through.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Toj wrote:
Well, here goes on of Edog's conspiracy theories:
"The company that supplied electricity to the Super Bowl took the blame Friday for the power outage that brought the big game to a halt, explaining that a device designed specifically to prevent a blackout failed and plunged the game into darkness for more than half an hour."
For the full article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/power-company-sa...
The device which "failed" is made in Chicago. S&C Electric is claiming that the relay did not fail, but that it was set for teh wrong power level.

Finger points to next guy.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Computer purchase nightmare.

My old computer died.

My husband brought me a Dell Vostro he wasn't using in his office. It kept crashing and eleting things.

He was not able to fix it. I gave up and went to Dell's website on Feb 1. Had a nice IM chat with a guy there, chose the configuration and placed the order based on sales guy's recommednation and the website notation that it would be delivered by Feb 4.

Feb 4 I get an email that it will be delayed until the 12th.

Today I get an email that says that maybe they can ship on the 18th.

I call. I talk to 2 people with Indian acccents who tell me the model was never available in stock, that there is a glitch in the manufacturing process and that teh 18th is not a guarantied date.

I cancelled. Micahel Dell can take his company private and stick it private. I am searching for a website to share my experience

Now I am back in the market. Many of the places I go are blocked on the office computer. My smart phone sucks for anything than casual browsing and I will not pay bills off that thing, no security as far as I am concerned.

I would be happy to have suggestions on where to go next. It has been since the 1st of the year since I have a computer at home. I can't even look up phone numbers easily.

ARGHHHH!!!( caps intended)

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

PEllen wrote:
My old computer died.
My husband brought me a Dell Vostro he wasn't using in his office. It kept crashing and eleting things.
He was not able to fix it. I gave up and went to Dell's website on Feb 1. Had a nice IM chat with a guy there, chose the configuration and placed the order based on sales guy's recommednation and the website notation that it would be delivered by Feb 4.
I call. I talk to 2 people with Indian acccents who tell me the model was never available in stock, that there is a glitch in the manufacturing process and that teh 18th is not a guarantied date.
I cancelled. Micahel Dell can take his company private and stick it private. I am searching for a website to share my experience
Now I am back in the market. Many of the places I go are blocked on the office computer. My smart phone sucks for anything than casual browsing and I will not pay bills off that thing, no security as far as I am concerned.
I would be happy to have suggestions on where to go next. It has been since the 1st of the year since I have a computer at home. I can't even look up phone numbers easily.
http://www.apple.com/students/
http://hp.force.com/external/Follett...

Pretty sure they don't make you prove you are a student and you get a "student discount" on the price. <shrug>

With Apple you can have it shipped to a local Apple store. Don't know about HP.

Oh and Dell sucks anyway. Dodged a bullet IMO.
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

email accounts for George Bush, the elder, and George W Bush, the genius, were hacked. One of GW's emails was to family members for help in writing a eulogy for dad.
Mission Accomplished!!!

And J Jackson, Jr. took a plea deal. From the nuthouse to the big house.
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
I'm sure some, if not most or all, of you are sick of me and my problems. But since in this forum, you can choose to read or scroll by or judge me with a silly icon, too bad... here goes. Fair warning for those who DON'T want to hear it anymore.
I'm climbing the walls with anger and despair. Unless I have something to really concentrate on, my own mind is my worst enemy. Work helps a little but only if it's a problem to solve - the routine stuff doesn't keep my mind off of the whole situation with Jasper.
People keep saying this is normal, etc. but I haven't been through enough relationships ending to know firsthand. I can barely function, and can only sleep with sominex. I pulled myself through the initial pain last fall by staying busy, but my energy is spent and I don't feel like I have it in me to start all over again.
Of course, back then I was caught up in A's drama with the boyfriend (who is currently weaseling himself back into the picture, but I can't and won't consume myself with that... unless it's a needed distraction?). I can't spend all my time with my close friends dumping on them, and people keep asking me if I'm okay because I "look sad." I feel like I should be walking around dripping blood, how visible my hurt is.
I've taken a first step toward finding a professional to talk to and it feels good - as good as anything feels right now - to take action. But in the meantime, I'm miserable. And everywhere I look at home, it's memories. Different apartment but all the same stuff.
Anyway... I don't really know what I'm trying to accomplish by telling you guys this. It's just an outlet, I guess. And I really do feel bad for coming across so melodramatic. It's not like anyone died.
IMO the absolute best thing you can do is keep in mind that this will end and you just have to ride it out. The next best thing is to keep in mind that you deserve to be happy, and you should value yourself enough to believe that your happiness is not predicated on your ex or anyone else. Go do some things you enjoy, and f' him if he is missing out on enjoying them with you.
Sam I Am

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

PEllen wrote:
My old computer died.
I strongly advocate a refurbished MacBook or iPad, depending what your needs are. I did not think I would really enjoy an iPad but I was wrong. I rent movies on it, pay bills, have my iTunes, iPhoto, surf the net, etc. I am using it more than I ever thought I would. And refurbished from Apple saves around 15-20% amid they carry the same warranty as new. Give it a think.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.apple.com/students/
http://hp.force.com/external/Follett...
Pretty sure they don't make you prove you are a student and you get a "student discount" on the price. <shrug>
With Apple you can have it shipped to a local Apple store. Don't know about HP.
Oh and Dell sucks anyway. Dodged a bullet IMO.
Thanks. The HP site has a machine that is pre-configured with the RAM and harddrive I was looking at.

I had pretty much ruled out Apple because I was resigned to dealing with Windows 8 and Word 2013

You don't have to be a student as long as you are a graduate/alum of an accredited college or university.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>
I strongly advocate a refurbished MacBook or iPad, depending what your needs are. I did not think I would really enjoy an iPad but I was wrong. I rent movies on it, pay bills, have my iTunes, iPhoto, surf the net, etc. I am using it more than I ever thought I would. And refurbished from Apple saves around 15-20% amid they carry the same warranty as new. Give it a think.
This is going to sound very stupid, but looking at the Apple site, I can't figure out which device is the desktop computer. Is it the Mac mini? Aren't there compatibility problems with USB vs 30 prong plugs? I wasn't keen on getting an all in one because I have a nice big monitor that I got last year.

I also don't know how to convert the size/speed numbers I am accustomed to working with for RAM and hard drive. Stuff on Apple seems to start at $599 and go up. An HP with 4GB RAM and 500GB hardrive is available for $319. I would have to add the MS Word package, but that costs out at $139 at CDW and I would need a security package. I have a ongoing argument with my husband on that. Consumer Reports said teh the MS Security suite which is free is as good as the Norton and McAfee systems. He disagrees, but I was using the MSSEcurity suite on the old computer and I ever had problems with viruses or malware.

My sister has an Apple laptop which I use when we go up to teh cottage. The inteface wouldn't be that hard to learn.

Thanks for the input though.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

I danced and whooped for joy.
I hope they rot in jail from the inside out.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Vancouver-coup...
PEllen

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

NWmoon wrote:
I danced and whooped for joy.
I hope they rot in jail from the inside out.
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Vancouver-coup...
Wre the kids kept locked up? Did tehy go to school? How did they have access to a counselor to whom they could slip a note?

Have you seen the situation in KC where the 17 year old has been handcuffed to a pole in the basement since September and essentislly starved?

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Ugh, that didn't come out right.
Mimi - thank you for the kind words. I feel especially touched by your support, given what you've been through.
It came out right. I understood what you were saying.:) No ne is an island and everyone has issues. What I've dealt with is way way way less than some people have had to deal with. It's just a matter of degrees. And... you are dealing with the death of a long term relationship right now. You need to grieve for a while. And process stuff, and get back on your horse, and yadda yadda, yadda. We all get it. No worries.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is going to sound very stupid, but looking at the Apple site, I can't figure out which device is the desktop computer. Is it the Mac mini? Aren't there compatibility problems with USB vs 30 prong plugs? I wasn't keen on getting an all in one because I have a nice big monitor that I got last year.
I also don't know how to convert the size/speed numbers I am accustomed to working with for RAM and hard drive. Stuff on Apple seems to start at $599 and go up. An HP with 4GB RAM and 500GB hardrive is available for $319. I would have to add the MS Word package, but that costs out at $139 at CDW and I would need a security package. I have a ongoing argument with my husband on that. Consumer Reports said teh the MS Security suite which is free is as good as the Norton and McAfee systems. He disagrees, but I was using the MSSEcurity suite on the old computer and I ever had problems with viruses or malware.
My sister has an Apple laptop which I use when we go up to teh cottage. The inteface wouldn't be that hard to learn.
Thanks for the input though.
I've decided to get the Mac Book Air. The weight is good...very portable, and the guy at the Apple store helped me to configure my HD (500 gigs) and RAM (8 gigs). There is an Office program for Mac, so no worries there. Doesn't your ISP offer you a security package? I have (stupid) Comcast and Norton is included.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>

You don't have to be a student as long as you are a graduate/alum of an accredited college or university.
Ah. Cool.:D

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Wre the kids kept locked up? Did tehy go to school? How did they have access to a counselor to whom they could slip a note?
Have you seen the situation in KC where the 17 year old has been handcuffed to a pole in the basement since September and essentislly starved?
I guess they got help from the couple's natural children. I know that at least one of the natural kids testified against the parents. I think they made the place look "normal" when they knew a worker was coming.
Doctors said the kids were malnourished, and when they made the surprise visit they found the fridge and all food cupboards locked up.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Sam I Am wrote:
<quoted text>IMO the absolute best thing you can do is keep in mind that this will end and you just have to ride it out. The next best thing is to keep in mind that you deserve to be happy, and you should value yourself enough to believe that your happiness is not predicated on your ex or anyone else. Go do some things you enjoy, and f' him if he is missing out on enjoying them with you.
Thanks.

His loss. His loss. His loss....

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>It came out right. I understood what you were saying.:) No ne is an island and everyone has issues. What I've dealt with is way way way less than some people have had to deal with. It's just a matter of degrees. And... you are dealing with the death of a long term relationship right now. You need to grieve for a while. And process stuff, and get back on your horse, and yadda yadda, yadda. We all get it. No worries.
Thank you. Again.
:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 78,881 - 78,900 of96,151
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

43 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Jesus Christ 1,034,592
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Rogue Scholar 05 167,680
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 min truth 47,072
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 min mdbuilder 43,022
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 13 min Eric 65,182
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 21 min jimtownhounddogsniffing 6,538
Abby 4-20 1 hr cheluzal 10
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance